Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Cast Members
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/01/2009, 1:38 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Stephnie Weir was interviewed for Second City's 50th Anniversary

Quote:
Stephnie Weir (in photo) played lunatic characters on MADtv, and she was just as fearless and bawdy during her three years (’97–2000) on the Mainstage. Second City conservatory student Chelsea Devantez (right), an outrageous standout who placed second in this season’s Impress These Apes, clearly follows in her idol’s footsteps.

Chelsea Devantez: Did you have to work any terrible jobs while you were acting and taking classes?
Stephnie Weir: Oh, my God. [Laughs.] [My boyfriend] thought it would be great if we just had to work weekends, so I was a security guard at Abbott Laboratories. We did nothing. It was kind of a miserable job.

CD: Did you have a moment when you were sure you wanted to be an improviser?
SW: I know I loved it from the very beginning. I remember waiting for the train and thinking with such clarity, I really want to do this and I think I could do it.

CD: What was your first paid acting gig?
SW: Second City. I got called and asked if I would be on the Mainstage, and I remember thinking, Oh my gosh, I can quit all my jobs! [Laughs.] So I called my mother and said, “Mom, I got hired for this full-time job at Second City.” And she was like, “Oh my God, what is Second City?” Her second question was, “Do they have health insurance?”

CD: Who inspired you while moving through the ranks?
SW: I remember seeing Amy Sedaris in a stint where she played somebody’s alcoholic mother in one scene and in the next she was Ross Perot. I remember thinking she was so awesome. I got to work with Rachel Dratch, and she just had such a funny, roll-with-it attitude when she would approach the stage and could turn anything into a gem.

CD: What advice do you have for improvisers who are starting out?
SW: Don’t waste a moment of energy looking around at what other people are doing. When we start improvising [we] think, Who’s on a team, or Who’s getting the jobs, or whatever. You can get sidelined thinking, like, Well I’m a woman and that’s why they didn’t hire me. There are so many examples of people who have flourished by keeping their nose to the grindstone and doing their thing. Be persistent and don’t give up.

See Devantez with the Humidors on Thursdays at the Cornservatory. Revisit Weir’s MADtv years on DVD.

Old 10/02/2009, 12:47 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Whoa! I just checked the very 1st ep again cuz I thought that name rang a bell and...
ITS THE FIRST MAJOR CLUE AS TO WHAT CAUSED THE FREAK GLOBAL OCCURANCE!

That's reasurring, I hope the role lasts for a while.

*It's the first post it note "D. Gibbons" on the board at 28:04 into the show*
http://www.hulu.com/watch/97929/flas...more-good-days

Old 10/02/2009, 12:37 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

I think you might be referring to "Flash Forward" and it was episode 2. I didn't get a chance to watch it, because I was just watching the first one on tvguide when it was airing. I'll be sure to keep a lookout, thanks.

Old 10/01/2009, 6:30 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

My brother was watching series opener of Fastforward today, when he noticed Stephnie in the show. He told me, and it is her! She plays a woman named Didi Gibbons who owns a cupcake shop. I'm not sure if this is a recurring character or not, but odds are it's probably just a guest appearance.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 05/30/2008, 8:24 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I may be the only person in the world who thought she was just an average castmember. I thought she was average because there have been so many great women castmembers on this show, that she really couldn't break through to that success.

Old 09/08/2007, 8:43 AM
Casual Fan

ok I understand now. =] Thanks for your help.

"Karen, I forgot to feed your gerbil and she ate her own foot.

And now...she slept with Jesus!

Karen, and then I took her gerbil babies and I baptised them -- but they all drowned.

Karen!! If you see Jesus, tell him to take the gerbil babies -- they're Christian!"

Old 09/07/2007, 7:25 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Thank you. =] But then how come they don't list her as a character. =[ Did she not do that many roles as Mary?

No. That sketch, titled "The Fun Room" was what they call a "one-off" sketch. Which means it happens only once.

Old 09/07/2007, 6:17 PM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogrrl4405 View Post
her name is Mary.

Thank you. =] But then how come they don't list her as a character. =[ Did she not do that many roles as Mary?

Karen, and then I took her gerbil babies and I baptised them -- but they all drowned.

Karen!! If you see Jesus, tell him to take the gerbil babies -- they're Christian!"

Old 09/06/2007, 8:34 PM
Hardcore Fan

Hmmm.... Stephaine Weir and Beth Littleford....oh yeah I remember when the Daily Show when Beth Littleford was on with Craig Kilborn hosting.

Old 09/06/2007, 7:06 PM
Totally F****able

her name is Mary.

Old 09/06/2007, 6:53 PM
Casual Fan

Default I need help

Does anyone know what her character name is when she is playing the bald headed lady with Michael McDonald.

The main one I'm looking for is when Mo Collins is having a party and she locks them into "the fun room".

Thank you!

Old 08/27/2007, 2:30 AM
Casual Fan

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c2db89f2d2
New video on Funnyordie starring Beth Littleford (from The Daily Show) and Stephnie Weir

Warning: Probably NSFW!

Old 07/17/2007, 6:41 PM
Still the best!

Stephnie was on from Season 6 to the middle of Season 11, so that's 5 and a half years, which is pretty standard for MADtv.

Old 07/17/2007, 5:16 PM
Casual Fan

I'm not sure either...and just becoming a huge fan of MadTV, I was upset to find out that Stephnie only appeared in 121 episodes, and isn't a cast member in season 12. :[

I think though, that most of the cast members, stay on the show for about 5-6 years, and then once they get the notibility, they move on to do greater things in their career...who knows though?

Old 03/11/2007, 11:32 PM
Obsessed!

fyi...it still says that she's a castmember I wish it was true...but I don't know who changes these things, but she isn't anymore.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart

Old 11/18/2006, 1:40 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I was looking at an interview that Jennifer Elise Cox did and saw Stephnie's name. Here is hers:

Q. What are some of the recent projects that you've been working on?

A. I’ve been working on a half hour comedy for ABC titled “Big Day.” Also, my husband, Bob Dassie, and I have a two-person improv show called WeirDass (a combo of our last names) that we just performed in New York City at the UCB Theatre.

Q. You'll soon be seen on the show "Big Day," what can you tell us about the premise for the show and about your character?

A. The entire season of the show takes place over a single day, the wedding day of a young couple (Marla Sokoloff and Josh Cooke). I play Lorna, the wedding planner.

Q. What made you want to be a part of this project?

A. The character, Lorna, is my favorite kind of person; a sweet, timid, optimistic underdog. But, I mostly wanted to be part of this project because they hired me.

Q. Why should viewers take the time to check out the show?

A. Because watching the show will make you rich and give you a winning personality. I’m sorry. I’m lying. Watch because it’s funny. Everyone in the cast is hilarious; Wendie Malick, Kurt Fuller, Steven Rannazzizzi, Miriam Shor, Marla and Josh. And you’ll lose weight if you watch the show.

Q. In the past you've appeared on the show "MadTv." Do you have a favorite character that you love to play?

A. I enjoyed the character Angela Wright the most, I think. As well as the many elderly women I portrayed. I LOVE senior citizens. They’re the real deal.

Q. You've got such a flair for comedic timing. Has it always come naturally to you or is it something you've been working at constantly?

A. I wasn't blessed with gorgeous looks, musical talents or tons of charisma, but the comic timing was an inherent gift.

Q. You've done acting and writing, is there anything else you'd like to try your hand at?

A. No. My interests lie in acting and writing. I want to do them well. Although, I’d love to learn to fly a plane. I recently took a flight lesson and it made me so nauseous I haven’t been back.

Q. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

A. Think about that flight lesson.

Q. Do you have a latest obsession? Are you into any particular book, sport, or activity?

A. How to speak French books. I buy a new one every time I go to the bookstore. I’ve got “Fast & Fun French,” “French for Dummies,” “French NOW!” and “Francaise Sticker Book” (where you match the picture sticker with the French word). I even have the Rosetta Stone computer program, yet, so far, all I can say is “The baby is missing.”

Q. What would you like to say to your fans and supporters?

A. Thank you. Really, thanks.

http://starrymag.com/content.asp?ID=...erviews&PAGE=1

Old 10/27/2006, 8:43 PM
Fresh Meat

For all you Stephnie fans, she apparently has a role on a new ABC sitcom called "Big Day" that will be premiering on Nov 28. She's mentioned in the last paragraph. I came across this today while surfing. Here's a link:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ab...,1291346.story

Old 10/07/2006, 10:13 AM
Fresh Meat

Found another article on Steph. Hope you like it.

Actors Dassie and Weir Discuss Improv, Marriage
August 30, 2006
By Tim Saccardo
Los Angeles CityBeat

On Aug. 28, I.O. West in Hollywood hosted its monthly interview show Inside the Improvisers Studio, a take off on the familiar format of James Lipton's Inside the Actors Studio featuring the city's top comedic improvisers. The subjects of this edition were married couple and performing partners Robert Dassie and Stephnie Weir. Actor and I.O. alumnus Craig Cackowski moderated the event.

Weir began by explaining that she left her home town of Odessa, TX, for Chicago on the advice of a theatre teacher who said, "L.A. [is] too competitive, New York impossible to live in and be poor, but Chicago [has] a lot of good stage time for people starting out." Dassie grew up outside Chicago in Greenwood, IL, watching Second City shows, and eventually enrolled in their classes where he and Weir first met and performed together. They lost touch, however, until they both began taking classes at Chicago's ImprovOlympic and when Dassie learned that Weir was studying there, he "pulled her out of class and put her on our team before anyone else had a chance." They became a couple during the five weeks that team performed at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in the late 90's.

After Weir was cast on Fox's MadTV, they moved to Los Angeles and began to experiment at I.O. West with the type of improv that would eventually evolve into their current two-person show WeirDass. "We were doing [a fast paced show], and when we got into the meat of a scene someone would invariably edit or tag out or walk in and we talked about how it would be great to just do that scene and see where it goes," recalled Dassie, who has performed his one-man show, Something For Everyone, in several cities and just finished a run in L.A.

When asked about the challenges of performing as a married couple, Weir admitted that "those first WeirDass shows were so hard, just because of the judgment on my part and the notes I had after every show and trying to figure out how to work together. We're so much better now." Dassie agreed, "We worked hard on setting boundaries and creating rules," he explained. "We had to segregate time. At this point we start working, and at this point, we don't talk about it anymore because living with each other, that really can pour into work and life coming together. And you don't want to do that."

Cackowski concluded the interview with Lipton's famous Bernard Pivot questions. When asked what she would like to hear God say when she arrived at the Pearly Gates, Weir brought the house down by answering, "Here are your roller skates and headband."

Last edited by stephweir_rocks; 12/21/2006 at 7:15 AM.

Old 09/15/2006, 10:15 AM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephweir_rocks View Post
Stephnie's doing her one women show Slowdeatha again, on the 8th and 9th of September at 8pm. At the Hudson Mainstage Theatre. Here's a small paragraph about it, "This one woman comedy, written and performed by Stephnie Weir (MADtv), chronicles a night in the life of Destry Pharis, a fictional character who, like Weir herself, grew up on her father's used car lot admist the roughnecks and misfits in the dusty oil town of Odessa, TX. - also known as "Slowdeatha, TX."

Also there's a photo of Stephnie as a kid (I think, not a 100% sure), looks a lot like her. Here's the website more details.

HA! Stephnie was badass even as a toddler!

Old 08/30/2006, 4:12 PM
Fresh Meat

Stephnie's doing her one women show Slowdeatha again, on the 8th and 9th of September at 8pm. At the Hudson Mainstage Theatre. Here's a small paragraph about it, "This one woman comedy, written and performed by Stephnie Weir (MADtv), chronicles a night in the life of Destry Pharis, a fictional character who, like Weir herself, grew up on her father's used car lot admist the roughnecks and misfits in the dusty oil town of Odessa, TX. - also known as "Slowdeatha, TX."

Also there's a photo of Stephnie as a kid (I think, not a 100% sure), looks a lot like her. Here's the website more details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ys.jpg (24.6 KB, 42 views)