Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/14/2002, 4:41 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Default Mo & Michaels status for Season 8

I've noticed they haven't been in very many skits this season. Anyone else think that they might leave?

Old 02/14/2002, 4:56 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Gasp! You're right -- I do recall there was one, maybe two sketches this season that they weren't in! What's going on!? Good is evil, up is down, black is white, AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Seriously though, they'd be fools to leave, and FOX would be foolish to let them go. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Old 02/14/2002, 6:56 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Matt, they were stupid enough to let Pat Kilbane go....Why not let go Mo and Michael next? But I don't know if the show would be the same without them...I mean who are they going to find replace those two? And if they get rid of Mo she would have to go back to Minnesota and Michael would go back to working at the bank.
So, I hope for the sake of the show they stay...But it dosen't mean there that great...Especially this season...They need new recurring characters or something...

Michael
Happy Folger

Mo
Liz Whitman Goldfarb
Old 02/14/2002, 7:01 PM
#2 of 7

Uh-oh...I'd run from Matt while you can...

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwind
Gasp! You're right -- I do recall there was one, maybe two sketches this season that they weren't in! What's going on!? Good is evil, up is down, black is white, AAAAAAAAAHH!
Why, Matt, could that have been...sarcasm?!?!:p

Old 02/14/2002, 7:10 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by AeoceanGlyvxx
Matt, they were stupid enough to let Pat Kilbane go....Why not let go Mo and Michael next? But I don't know if the show would be the same without them...I mean who are they going to find replace those two?
Ohhhh my... Aeocean, you left yourself W-I-D-E open for a Michael (and possibly a Mo) insult. I imagine it's coming anytime soon.... LOL!

But seriously, I hope they don't leave either (of course). I don't really see what you mean about them not being shown very much this year though. In the beginning of the season, I would've agreed with you, but now, I feel like they're shown quite often.

Quote:
Michael
Happy Folger
Who is this character? Was he the one in that Thanksgiving sketch a couple years ago? Insulting everyone? I barely remember it, but was that the character? If so, I've not seen him at all other than that. How many times has he been on?

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 02/14/2002, 7:12 PM
Staff Alumnus

LOL Glacier!! (I didn't see your post until after I posted mine)

Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
--Family Guy
Old 02/14/2002, 7:13 PM
Administrator

Yeah, but Pat was never too popular. We all love him here, but his departure wasn't a big deal for most people. On the other hand, if McDonald or Mo were to leave, how many people from the 15 and under audience would still tune in? Judging by the posts on the official site's fan board, not many, I'd wager. And these days, that seems to be MAD's core audience.

Quote:
Why, Matt, could that have been...sarcasm?!?!:p
Wherever did you get that idea from? :p

Old 02/14/2002, 7:20 PM
Administrator

Oh, and I'll have that insult for you guys sometime soon, but I'm not telling when it's coming. It could happen tonight, it could happen tomorrow, or it could happen 10 years from now! Just remember, when you least expect it... BLAMMO! Insult-tacular mania! Or something.

Old 02/14/2002, 7:23 PM
Staff Alumnus

LOL I'm sure we all look forward to it.

--Family Guy
Old 02/14/2002, 7:55 PM
Administrator

I need to clarify my 7:13 post, because I still think it sounds a little stupid.

I wasn't taking the position of the fanboy in that post -- you know, the kind of person you see on the official board saying things like "i hope u know if u cancel nicholl from ur cast every1 will stop watching and u will lose all ur ratings and ur show will b cancelled". Rather, I was commenting on the sheer volume of similar posts I've seen, presumably from an age group who *would* follow through on such silly threats. I'm talking about the kiddies who don't even make an effort to learn the actors' names, but instead go online and praise "Stuart" for his great work on the show. If McDonald were to leave, MAD would be an entirely different show for these people. Would they still watch? Debatable, but I'd still say probably not.

Old 02/14/2002, 8:17 PM
#2 of 7

Default Relocated Simpsons Quote for the day

Prof. Frink:...woah, this baby is off the charts!

Comic Book Guy: Ooh, a sarcasm detector! That's a real useful invention!
(Frink's invention explodes)

Old 02/14/2002, 8:19 PM
Administrator

Hah! That's a classic!

Old 02/14/2002, 10:08 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwind
I was commenting on the sheer volume of similar posts I've seen, presumably from an age group who *would* follow through on such silly threats. I'm talking about the kiddies who don't even make an effort to learn the actors' names, but instead go online and praise "Stuart" for his great work on the show. If McDonald were to leave, MAD would be an entirely different show for these people. Would they still watch? Debatable, but I'd still say probably not.
For those people, I believe you are totally right. All they ever talk about is Stuart (or some variation of his name...usually misspelled. It's not a surprise they don't know the actors' real names. What is a surprise is that these people are breathing on their own). I really wish Mad TV hadn't come to this point. They pulled in all these idiots with sketches that were made for them. And now they even have a whole month dedicated to them.

Which brings me to my next point. And don't get insulting on me for this one, really. But it makes me wonder if Michael is forced to do all these sketches. I mean, I know he writes them as well, but it makes me wonder if he doesn't like doing it. How much freedom do the actors really have? The network knows Stuart sells, so are they forcing him to do it?

Also, I noticed that the last Stuart sketch was different from the others. So, I think Michael knows there are some of us out there who don't like Stuart anymore (or at all, in your case), so he's trying to change it a little to do what he can so that it's not just purely focused on "look what I can do" etc. (for the most recent sketch, I didn't feel they dwelled on the quotes too much...but the Mad TV promos for the show certainly did...you get what I'm saying? So, even if Michael does what he can to change the character a little, Mad TV will still promote the "Look what I can do" crap.

So, is he really doing it because he wants to or is he the guy who's trying to tell everyone that he's more than just Stuart and all his other characters, only nobody cares? Forget the Diary of Andrew Daly, I'd like to see the Diary of Michael McDonald. Instead of the "Best Other Guy In The Sketch," how about the "Best Only Guy In The Sketch?" He could so easily make fun of all this with execs telling him to write 50 more recurring character sketches for air in the next "month" or something. It'd be funny (and hopefully true) and set the record straight at the same time. Of course, I'm assuming alot in thinking that he's forced to do it. (It'd still be funny though, wouldn't it? Okay, maybe not for you, Matt)

Sorry, that got really long. It's late, I need to go to bed!

--Family Guy
Old 02/14/2002, 10:23 PM
#2 of 7

Ya know, I've kinda been wondering the same thing about Alex. I mean, she also writes the Swan sketches, or most of them, but remeber when someone (Mad Dog, I think) reported about Frank's email saying that they had produced an unusual amount of Swan skits...so the cast must not have known about this "Stuart and Swan month" crap...

Old 02/15/2002, 7:12 AM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by GlacierMonkey
reported about Frank's email saying that they had produced an unusual amount of Swan skits...so the cast must not have known about this "Stuart and Swan month" crap...
Oh yeah. We can only hope that's true. LOL I'm clinging to that until I hear otherwise.

Quote Lord<-----Love that, Glacier.

--Family Guy
Old 02/15/2002, 1:53 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Don't worry about Mo and Michael leaving. Not happening. We may as well have 7 other threads to worry our selves over about the other cast members leaving. Alex is the only one who may leave. And Andrew cause he's not funny but that's another story. Alex has been in other projects that allow her leads of absences. Her being on Titus disabled her from being on an episode of MadTV. I think someone mentioned that she was in a movie too?????? She has to take time off for that. Yes it is a sign that she may want to persue other career options but when Nicole did this, she announced she was leaving seasons before she actually did.

THe cast might not have known that the producers at the last minute decided to make this Stuart/Swan month. Doesn't prove a thing. I think what he meant to say was that last season only 2 Swan sketches aired and they have to make up for lost time or something. Either that or because the fans are so madly driven by Stuart and Swan that they had to do this to keep viewers because the writers can't do squat any more!

Old 02/15/2002, 8:55 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Okay...Let me clear this up...
Michael McDonald is one of the sexiest men on TV...But not my favorite male cast member...I really like Will Sasso when he isn't doing his moronic recurring characters.
My favorite female cast member is Alex, but she dosen't seem to be there much anymore....Mo is scary....I mean really scary and I could do a better P!nk impression than she did...I mean really, I could.
Old 02/15/2002, 10:48 PM
Regular

Unfortnately, they probably won't leave anytime soon, even though they should. Michael has the worst recurring characters, and Mo has gotten really annoying and one-note.

Old 02/16/2002, 1:09 AM
Regular

Stop bashing Andrew Daly.

Old 02/16/2002, 1:11 AM
Administrator

To be fair, almost everyone here is just as negative. And, looking at what they offer us week after week, why shouldn't we be? This certainly isn't the MADtv we know and love.