Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/29/2007, 5:20 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

Default Thank You from Frank Caeti

Hello Planet MAdtv-

I wanted to drop by and say thanks for all of your support. You guys are true fans of the show and MAD appreciates it. As you know, I am not returning to MADtv for season 13.

I wish it would have turned out better, but it didn't. It was a frustrating two seasons for me. In my time at MAD I wrote or pitched many sketches and characters, I think around 3 made it to air. That's a bummer. I never really felt like my integration into the show was a priority. Maybe I didn't fit into the show stylistically-I'm not sure. I do know sketch comedy. I worked at one of the best sketch comedy theaters in the world (Second City) I was successful there, I guess those ideas didn't translate to tv. I had a feeling I was on the chopping block after season 11 and knew I was on the chopping block after season 12. Below is the backstory on how I got to MAD. May help with some perspective. It's a little complicated and it was, to quote Jovan, "Crazy as Hell!"

My MADtv casting process started in May 2005 (an audition in Chicago, an audition in LA for MAD producers, and then finally for the network) all of which was over a six week span. Dick Blasucci (MAdtv Exec Producer) and Julie Ashton (Casting Director) had come to see the show I was in at The Second City, sometime in early May.

It's a standard practice that you have to sign a contract before your network test, that way if they want you they can have you. It eliminates any negotiating power because you sign before you know they want you. If you don't sign, you can't test. From there if they want you- they exercise the option on the contract you signed. I tested for Mad sometime early in June, but had a prior contract with Sony Pictures Television that was set to expire on June 30th, so MADtv couldn't excercise the option until July 1. During all this I was contacted by SNL. I had yet to be offered the job at MAD, so I sent them a tape and then a week later they (Lorne Michaels, Steve Higgins, and Mike Shoemaker) came and saw my show at Second City. Days later, I was flown to NYC to meet with Lorne Michaels about SNL. SNL couldn't offer anything because I was under contract with MAD, even though I had yet to officially been offered the job. But they knew about everything with MAD, so I sat in Lorne Michaels office and was asked this question, "What are you going to do?" It was to say the least- surreal.

So I was faced with this decision if I wanted to go further with SNL I would have to tell MAD I would refuse to work for them if they exercised the contract (based on my agent talking to the casting director, it looked like they planned on doing) and would legally be breach of contract or take MAd's offer. SNL couldn't make any guarantees except "we can't go any farther until we know you are contractually available", they had to protect their legal interests. Basically it came down to...turndown a yes (MAdtv) for a maybe (SNL). Throughout this process I had spent time with Dick Blasucci, he's a very warm, laid back, cool dude, comes from the same part of Chicago as I do and is a Second City alumnus. Plus we're both greasy Italians. I would have to tell a guy I respected and liked that I refuse to work for him, something I didn't want to do. So I didn't. Point of the story-Dick Blasucci is the reason I was ever on MADtv, so when he was let go in May, I knew I was certainly in jeopardy.

So two years later I'm unemployed. Andy Samburg and Bill Hader seem to be doing pretty well. SNL auditioned 12 men this year, I wasn't one of them.

Pretty crazy right? Everything happens for a reason. I sincerely appreciate all of Planet MADtv's love and support.

Frank Caeti

Old 09/29/2007, 5:53 PM
Hardcore Fan

Good luck with your career post MadTV- I'm sure you'll do well. I know that many people here (myself included) were more shocked and disappointed when we found out that you wouldn't be returning for the thirteenth season. But again, I think that you have the talent to succeed after MadTV.

I know that we fans of MadTV really appreciate you posting your thoughts here.... So thank you.
Old 09/29/2007, 6:55 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this with everyone else, Frank. Here's hoping you'll be back on TV by this time next year!

Old 09/29/2007, 9:32 PM
zlolz

Thanks for sharing this with us, Frank. It really sucks you won't be on the show anymore, you showed a lot of talent when you go to shine I wish you luck in the future!

Old 09/30/2007, 12:19 AM
Fresh Meat

aww good luck in your future

Old 09/30/2007, 12:32 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for sharing with us, Frank, and for posting on Planet MADtv. Here's hoping that you have much better luck with whatever else comes your way. Keep in touch!

"We can dig it!"
Old 09/30/2007, 1:45 AM
His senses were dimmed

Thanks for visiting the boards. I wish we could have seen your Billy Corgan impression on Madtv but you were great while you were on.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 10/05/2007, 2:44 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

wow..showbiz sucks.such a tough position you were put in to.But like everyone else has said...best wishes for the future.
i'm sure you'll be fine
you got talent