Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What should be done with Andrew Daly after Season 7 wraps?
Stone him and then kill him 1 8.33%
Feed him to an elephant 1 8.33%
Pay a woman to have sex with him, and make it a FOX special 3 25.00%
Gee, your mean...Lets leave him on the show. I like his straight man act 3 25.00%
Attempt to breed Mo and Andrew into a new supercomedian which would one day threaten to devour as all. 0 0%
Aoecean, why don't you just stop with the f++cking polls and get a f++cking life! 3 25.00%
I don't know... 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/05/2002, 11:56 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Default What should be done with Andrew Daly?

What should be done with Andrew Daly after this season?

Old 03/06/2002, 4:24 PM
Regular

Now that's just mean. And he has more than straight-man skills, but they're not put to use on the show very much. For example, his gay mob boss sketch. That was a great, non-straight man role he did. I personally think he should stay on next season and they should actually give him more to do because. But seeing how much they're underusing him, it looks like he'll get booted at the end of the season.

-- Andrew Daly's only fan

Old 03/06/2002, 8:47 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i didn't vote cause i think that i don't care and i ahven't got an opinion on the matter so there ya go
Old 03/07/2002, 9:38 PM
Mr. Jessica Alba

How about simply "Tell him to leave MADtv and never come back"

Old 03/08/2002, 10:50 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Tell him to never come back? How is he going to pick up his paycheck or drop Mo's kid off? Most of you know that Andrew Daly used to be Mo Collin's sons calculus teacher, but he quit the medical field and then became a comedian.
Old 03/17/2002, 9:50 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by R&S Fan

-- Andrew Daly's only fan
I was compelled to join the board just to defend Andy. I've been a fan of his for quite some time now... and i'm a bigger fan of what he used to do at the UCB theatre than anything he's done on madtv. I don't think the show is the best place for him... improv comics best work spontaniously, and never do the same thing twice if they can avoid it. So, maybe that's why he hasn't had a recurring character. Having praised andy aloud to his face several times, I'm pretty sure he thinks me to be his only fan... and i'm sure he'd be happy to learn that i'm not!

and know you know you're not alone, ren&stimpy fan.

-MJ

Last edited by Mj OBrien; 03/17/2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03/17/2002, 10:47 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by BryanCIsHott
yes but andrew doesnt have any charecters...reacurring or not../every 'cherceter' he does is just him with a new situation....
Do you understand improv? It's spontanious. No two shows are ever alike. Andy, while he is quite good at being the side man, hasn't 1) had the oppertunity to establish a recurring character; and 2) ever had to develop recurring characters in his past performance situations.

Your impression of him might not be the most positive one, but still. Know what the guy is all about first before you completely trash his comidic ability.

way to spell, by the way.

-mj
Old 03/17/2002, 11:12 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

meow

take a chill pill

people have different views of different people and we are all free to voice such opinions ok
it doesn't mean we have to agree with each other on everything
Old 03/18/2002, 8:05 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

THere have been several sketches when he appears as Stephnie's husband where his name is Doug and her's is Liz. The Wedding Video one and the Restaurant Bully one with Mo

Old 03/18/2002, 11:07 AM
Fresh Meat

well,

i guess we all have our different opinions of people. My opinion of andy comes from seeing him in several different things. he's very talented, i wish some of you who keep badmouthing him would see that instead of automatically assuming that he sucks and wishing for his untimely demise. I actually haven't seen the gay mob boss skit. My favorite thing that he's been in was the "extras" thing.

-Mj
Old 03/18/2002, 1:48 PM
Casual Fan

MJ, I have to agree with you. I think Andrew Daly IS talented, and that he has great promise when it comes to developing new and, possibly, recurring characters. Allow me to point out some examples of his fine work:

He was hilarious as the gay mob boss, was hilarious again in the sketch involving the Prison Dating Service - where Will Sasso put on that very deep voice and Taran Killiam talked about being called "fresh meat"?. That was one of the "Doug and Liz" series of sketches.

He was great in the sketch where Aries was the former rapper turned business-exec. He had that really good line after finding out about his employee's former vocation, "You mean to tell me you've worked here for four years and you haven't performed in our Christmas Program?" (or something like that). Then seeing his white-man dance when Aries sang "Pop a Cap in the Devil" was worth the price of staying up to watch the show that night!

Two weeks ago, he was really funny in the "Extras School" sketch. He also played a decent Joey in the "Friends" sketch this past weekend. And a few months ago, he was great as the Future-Guy TV show host in the "Antiques Roadshow 3005" sketches.

Andrew may be best as the straight man, but he's certainly worth watching. Is anyone seriously upset that he doesn't have a recurring character yet? After all of the complaining that goes on in the boards about how boring and old some of Mad's recurring characters have become (i.e. Stuart, Swan, Rusty, Kenny Rogers, Lorraine, etc.)???

Bottom Line - Andrew is a valuable contributor to MADtv.
Old 03/18/2002, 3:40 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by ErinEsq
MJ, I have to agree with you. I think Andrew Daly IS talented, and that he has great promise when it comes to developing new and, possibly, recurring characters.
Bottom Line - Andrew is a valuable contributor to MADtv.
Thank you! It's good to see that not everyone around here is so closed minded.
I hope Andy is given the chance to stick around the MadTV scene for a while, i think if he gets that chance, things will really streighten out for him, and more people will see what some of us do already: that he's a great asset for the show to have.

-mj
Old 03/18/2002, 7:30 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

Give him better material to work with!
Old 03/19/2002, 1:58 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Not that I'm totally anti-Andrew Daly or anything but I feel the bad (or boring) performances he puts on out weighs the few good ones listed. And just because the people do a great Make-Up job on him to make him look like a certain celebrity doesn't mean he's really funny. Take the Friends one for example....
All of them looked like the character. Most of them were good with the way they acted and did their voices. Stephanie's and Andrew's portrayel of Rachel and Joey didn't seem anything like them! Their voice were off and they didn't use correct mannerisms. Anyways, to say something nice, his Bill Maher impression was very accurate.

P.S- Did you ever stop and considered how Andrew would feel if he ever (which is now highly likely) came into this forum and saw this thread? He'd probably leave the show! Actually, in that case, keep up the good work, LOL.

Old 03/19/2002, 2:02 PM
Xcenocanth Ctenithicus

The Chandler and Monica impressions were funny though.....
Hard to believe "Friends" has no black folks...Get a Wayan on there...Heehee
Old 03/19/2002, 2:05 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Yes I agree! THe Chandler and Monica ones were fabulous. The Phoebe (was this Kathryn) and Ross ones were pretty good but the Rachel and Joey ones were awful! Frank is definately the best thing that happened to MadTV since after the season 6 premier

Old 03/19/2002, 3:53 PM
Regular

Finally, some more Andrew Daly supporters.

Old 03/19/2002, 7:27 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
And just because the people do a great Make-Up job on him to make him look like a certain celebrity doesn't mean he's really funny.
Anyways, to say something nice, his Bill Maher impression was very accurate.

P.S- Did you ever stop and considered how Andrew would feel if he ever (which is now highly likely) came into this forum and saw this thread? He'd probably leave the show! Actually, in that case, keep up the good work, LOL.
lol i'm pretty sure he has better things to do

oh, and did you mean the bill maher impression with the great make up job? because it sounds like you didn't like his impression, then later it seems like you did? help me out, i'm confused...

-mj
Old 03/20/2002, 3:32 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I said I liked his Bill Maher impression AND the make-up job was good. but the make-up job doesn't matter. I think Why Andrew Daly doesn't really fit into a sketch show is that he seems more like a talk show host, and should be given a Fox's version of the Tonight Show. That's why he fit this role so well. Oh and I don't care for him that much so please don't add me to your list of other fans. Not that I hate him it's jusst he doesn't belong on MadTV! LOL

Old 03/20/2002, 4:04 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
he seems more like a talk show host, and should be given a Fox's version of the Tonight Show.
oh man.... that's a really offensive thing to say. jay leno is the devil, and Andy is nothing like him...

he was always really good in bits on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, the best show ever.

-mj