Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/01/2008, 2:20 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default Bottom 5 Worst Impressions in MADtv History

After the success of the top 5, I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought was the opposite of good, the bad, the worst impressions ever on the show. They will go from 1 to 5, with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best I will get started.

Jennifer Love Hewitt (Arden Myrin): This one really irritates me. It gives off the impression that if you can put on a wig you can immatate anyone. Arden doesn't have the voice, or the looks of Jennifer Love Hewitt. It is definatly the worst.

John McCain (Bobby Lee): I know MAD probably did this as a parody of SNL's Fred Armisen's Barak Obama, but Bobby's impression of John is bad, he doesn't look like him, and the voice is off so much that if he just did the impression without a name to someone on the street, they would think he was playing somone else.

Celine Dion (both Nicole's): I don't really blame them on this one, as I feel in order to pull off a good Celine you have to understand French Canadian culture, and have at least been in it once. The only person who I feel has ever pulled off a good Celine impression was Jessica Holmes from Air Farce. Except for her, no one by what I have scene has been able to pull this off.

Norm McDonald (Frank Caliendo): Now Frank has done some great impressions on MADtv, but this is one I always felt he was off on. He's too big to play Norm. I am so glad that he pretty much never does this before.

Meg Ryan (Nicole Sullivan): I never found this good.

Do you all agree, or do you have your own bottom 5. Post at the bottom.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 10/01/2008, 2:49 PM

Andrew Bowen as Christopher Walken: I'm a big fan of people doing Walken, but his was pretty bad.

Frank Caliendo as Terry Bradshaw: His impression sounded nothing like him, it sounded more like he was doing Chris Rock.

Bryan Callen as Arnold Schwarzenegger: That was a funny sketch, but Callen's Arnold was so bad it made me cringe every time he spoke.

Keegan-Michael Key as Matthew Lillard: WTF? Who's brilliant idea was it to cast Keegan as the guy who plays Shaggy in the Scooby Doo movies? They didnt even make him look like him, they just put a weird blonde wig on him and had him talk in a surfer dude voice.

Lisa Donovan as Selma Hayek: I know she has some fans here, but that Selma Hayek was pretty bad. I would have never known that was supposed to be Selma Hayek if they didn't say. Her accent sounded more French-Canadian or something.

--

So agreed on Bobby Lee as McCain, WTF were they thinking?
Old 10/01/2008, 3:41 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I think the big problem with Bobby's John McCain is the makeup department doesn't seem to be as good as it once was. If the makeup department was stronger, it would probably be a little more bearable. Phil LaMarr as Bill Maher wasn't spot on in terms of voice, but it really shined because the makeup was so good that you couldn't tell it was Phil. Bobby's John McCain is BLATANTLY obvious that it's just Bobby trying to play John McCain. He looks like an old Asian guy, not an old white guy.

Now, I'm not saying that only better makeup would make the impression better (he was HORRIBLE in the Facebook sketch), but it definitely would HELP.

Anyway for the rest of the list:

2. Keegan-Michael Key as Ludacris
3. Michael McDonald as Maury Povich
4. Danielle Gaither as Oprah
5. Pretty much any impression Crista and Arden do

Old 10/01/2008, 10:37 PM
26/07/16!!

I disagree on the makeup department comment, remember in season 6 they had issues with people not knowing who did the Arnold Schwarzenegger impression (christian or will) because of excessive makeup. I think if someone has to be made up with excessive makeup to look like someone they probably shouldn't be doing the impression anyway.

I agree with most of the choices here for being bad impressions but i think in some of the cases they were still funny you would probably call them more caricatures than impressions i guess.

Just a quick list off the top of my head, as much as i hate to criticize the show lol. Hard to think of the top 5 worst so here is just some i thought were bad:

1. Danielle Gaither as Oprah
2. Michael McDonald as David Hasslehoff
3. Stephnie Weir as the Olsen Twins (funny but not really accurate)
4. Bobby Lee as McCain (in his defense i guess it would be a bit tough to throw one of the newbies into a big impression like this, because he is a established member of the cast there would be a bit more tolerance you would think)
5. Ike as the Australian guy from House sorry dunno his name (can someone say wrong accent, he is not British!)

Old 10/02/2008, 1:26 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I forgot about Daniele Gaither's Oprah. I thought that that was horrible, and I really hope they don't make Erica do Oprah because I always have hated the fact that they treated the Oprah impression, which should have been respectfully retired when Debra left like just a adverage impression.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 10/02/2008, 10:45 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I don't think Bobby's John McCain is that bad. It's far from brilliant, but I think it's kind of funny. He looks a bit like him as well, you know exactly who he is supposed to be parodying. The only thing that's wrong is his eyes, and there is nothing they can do about that.

As far as bad impressions, Josh as Sean William Scott was pretty lame, but that might just be because I was watching the 200th epiosde over the weekend. I pretty much disagree with all of tvman's choices though, lol. I do, however agree with the Matthew Lilliard and Selma Hayek impressions and will add Frank Caliendo as Janeane Garofalo. Just because he is fat and a man doesn't mean its funny, and it definitely was not accurate in any way.

Old 10/03/2008, 3:22 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
I don't think Bobby's John McCain is that bad. It's far from brilliant, but I think it's kind of funny. He looks a bit like him as well, you know exactly who he is supposed to be parodying. The only thing that's wrong is his eyes, and there is nothing they can do about that.

As far as bad impressions, Josh as Sean William Scott was pretty lame, but that might just be because I was watching the 200th epiosde over the weekend. I pretty much disagree with all of tvman's choices though, lol. I do, however agree with the Matthew Lilliard and Selma Hayek impressions and will add Frank Caliendo as Janeane Garofalo. Just because he is fat and a man doesn't mean its funny, and it definitely was not accurate in any way.
if it's not too much trouble, could you please tell me the torrent for the 200th episode or maybe upload it onto megaupload?

Old 10/03/2008, 9:28 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

I agree with Dartanian, although Bobby's McCain is far from the original, his size and shape make him ideal for playing him. His actions are also improving, so... yeah .

We have to ask ourselves, which 'impressions' are caricatures and which are real impressions? That would help more.

Old 10/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenn-o View Post
if it's not too much trouble, could you please tell me the torrent for the 200th episode or maybe upload it onto megaupload?
Buy the Season 1 DVD. It's on there.

Old 10/05/2008, 2:39 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

1. michael mcdonald as adam sandler
2. michael mcdonald as mel gibson

they're the only 2 that spring to mind right now
Old 10/05/2008, 4:45 PM
Hardcore Fan

I would say that Bobby Lee's Jackie Chan impression is much worse than his John McCain impression.

Old 10/05/2008, 10:46 PM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kings View Post
I would say that Bobby Lee's Jackie Chan impression is much worse than his John McCain impression.
Amen to that. Ah-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya.

Old 10/06/2008, 12:58 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
Buy the Season 1 DVD. It's on there.
oh, i was talking about the 200th episode. sorry, i didn't edit the quote...

Old 11/14/2008, 10:26 AM
Literally

For me the worst impressions have been

1. Bobby as McCain, yeah yeah, you know the reasons
2. Frank Caliendo as Matthew Perry, I like Caliendos impressions usually, but that's just horrible
3. Frank Caeti as Zach Braff, even Keegan would have been better in that
4. Nicole Randall Johnson as Oprah, I haven't seen Gaithers impression, but to me NRJ was the worst Oprah they have had
5. Johny Sanchez as Carlos Mencia