Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/09/2005, 12:32 PM
Fresh Meat

Default A New "stuart" Taping Tonight!

Any fans of "Stuart" who live in the L.A. are should get their lucky butts over to Hollywood Center Studios for tonight's taping of MAD. Michael McDonald will be taping a "Stuart" for the Christmas show, airing December 17th! I have this on rock-solid authority from someone who works on the Hollywood Center Studios lot.

Old 12/09/2005, 1:25 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Oh joy

It'll be interesting to see who they put him with since Paul is gone now. Other than that...meh.
Old 12/09/2005, 1:31 PM
Totally F****able

Meh, this doesn't sound like it's gonna be too funny. No Mo, No Paul....

Old 12/09/2005, 1:52 PM
His senses were dimmed

I would totally go if I could. But I'm way to far.
I'm starting to like stuart now that he isn't being used 10 times per season.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 12/09/2005, 2:04 PM
Regular

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm not counting on it.
Old 12/09/2005, 2:06 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

Someone stop the presses. *douses self with acid*

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 12/09/2005, 2:24 PM
Fresh Meat

I definitely miss Mo. Paul, too. But the genius behind Stuart is Michael McDonald. He is the one who thought up the character, did it for years live on stage before MAD TV at the Groundlings Theatre (with Mindy Sterling of "Austin Powers" fame as the original Doreen), and I'm thrilled that Stuart (in small doses -- not a thousand times a season) can continue. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure Michael McDonald will be great.
Old 12/09/2005, 4:01 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally posted by Simian Dyson
I definitely miss Mo. Paul, too. But the genius behind Stuart is Michael McDonald. He is the one who thought up the character, did it for years live on stage before MAD TV at the Groundlings Theatre (with Mindy Sterling of "Austin Powers" fame as the original Doreen), and I'm thrilled that Stuart (in small doses -- not a thousand times a season) can continue. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure Michael McDonald will be great.

While I am not one to diss your opinion, I understand you saying Michael is the genius behind Stuart. And for that I agree. However I can safely say, and I think there are people in here who would agree with me, that if Stuart had been done from the beginning in small doses, we would be thrilled that there was gonna be another one done this season. HOWEVER because the show felt it absolutely necessary to give us Stuart a gazillion times a season, every season since Michael started, frankly, quite a few of us are really sick and tired of Stuart and would rather Michael focus his genius on his other, more funnier characters.

And I'm aware that there are at least some of us, myself included that have the opinion that it was other people involved in the Stuart sketches, like Mo and Paul, that made watching the sketches bearable. They at least managed to throw new things into the mix whereas Michael was limited to the already overplayed and overused "look what I can do" catchphrase as well as many of the other things that he did in EVERY......SINGLE.....SKETCH....

just my 2 cents.

Old 12/09/2005, 4:16 PM
Fresh Meat

Scorpiogirl, I also hate it when characters are overplayed. And although "Stuart" was definitely overplayed in the first couple of seasons that Michael McDonald was on the air, he did it, I think, only three times last season, and maybe four the year before. So his character was actually done very sparingling in the recent past. I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from Mo or Paul. They were (and are) hilarious and comedy geniuses in their own right. But if one is going to pick apart performances (i.e. "Look what I can do, etc.), you should also be fair and point out how Mo seemed to do her fair share of mugging, breaking character, and cracking herelf up in every ... single... sketch.
Old 12/09/2005, 4:28 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Scorpiogirl, I also hate it when characters are overplayed. And although "Stuart" was definitely overplayed in the first couple of seasons that Michael McDonald was on the air, he did it, I think, only three times last season, and maybe four the year before. So his character was actually done very sparingling in the recent past. I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from Mo or Paul. They were (and are) hilarious and comedy geniuses in their own right. But if one is going to pick apart performances (i.e. "Look what I can do, etc.), you should also be fair and point out how Mo seemed to do her fair share of mugging, breaking character, and cracking herelf up in every ... single... sketch.

Fair enough. Although I never said that Mo didn't do her fair share of breaking character in Stuart sketches. Mo also had her moments and bought lots of uniqueness to Doreen, but IMHO it was and still is funny.......

Old 12/09/2005, 4:38 PM
Fresh Meat

Agreed. Mo is hilarious. And she made me pee in my pants during THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN. They must've let her do her own thing in that film, because it seemed so much of her humor, like the character Bambi she did on MAD TV.
Old 12/09/2005, 7:32 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Agreed. Mo is hilarious. And she made me pee in my pants during THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN. They must've let her do her own thing in that film, because it seemed so much of her humor, like the character Bambi she did on MAD TV.

*off topic* a good chunk if not all that movie was improvised...so yes Mo's part was improvised.....

Old 12/10/2005, 11:48 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I've gotta agree with Christina, Mo was always my favorite part of the Stuart sketches. Michael may be the mastermind behind the character, but Mo really made Doreen her own and stole the show a lot of the time. Stuart got so old, but I ALWAYS enjoyed Doreen. Mo made Doreen into a lot more than just Stuart's mom, she was hilarious on her own.

IMO, Mo cracking up all the time in those sketches just made it even funnier. I love it when she starts laughing and tries to hide it. Mo rocks. I have to say that I don't think the character would work that well without her.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 12/11/2005, 12:04 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
I have to say that I don't think the character would work that well without her.
Well, they've done two without her, and neither was particularly good, so I think you thought right.

Old 12/11/2005, 11:07 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian
Well, they've done two without her, and neither was particularly good, so I think you thought right.
Exactly!!!

In the Repository under Characters you'll find Stuart listed as "Stuart and Doreen Larkin". For me Stuart and Doreen are one character.