Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/29/2004, 9:28 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Default Religion

I know i'm going to get slammed by a lot of people for this, but...

I'm not a real huge religious person. Today I got up around 9 to go to church with my grandparents, and we went to the roman catholic church (I went to Lutheran) and god it was soooooo different than the church i go to. My friend Chelsea yesterday told me she was atheist, and maybe she's right. Maybe there is no god. Maybe religion is just a facade to cover up the fact that probably EVERYONE is going to hell, and religion is just a bulls*it excuse to "save yourself" from going there. I mean, religion just doesn't play a role in my life. The reason all those old people are in there is they have nothing. Most of them are widowers and their friends died and stuff, so they don't know anyone anymore and come to pray for them. I've never really lost anyone really close to me, so I don't really need to go and I think prayer is dumb.

I mean, yes, I know Jesus died, yes, I know he's done miraculous things. I just don't care. It just doesn't play into a role in my life, and I choose to do whatever I want without worrying. If I became religious, I would be completely different than the way I am now, and I'm completely happy with the way I am.

I mean, why SHOULD I wake my ass up for church every sunday? You don't have to go. You can practice religion in your own home, so why go?

I mean, religion is such a corrupt thing. With the whole priests in the catholic church to the fighting in the middle east. I mean... religion just isnt worth it.

If I would practice any religion,I'd practice Buddhism. I'm seriously thinking about getting my "Buddhism for dummies" book and some incense and a meditation mat and go for it. I mean, you go to church to worship and to pray for OTHER PEOPLE, while Buddhism you really find YOURSELF. Teenagers really try and find themselves in their teenage years, and I think Buddhism will help out with that.

I mean, parents WANT you to practice their religion. You don't have a choice. They put you in Sunday School for a reason. I mean, if the church gave you a choice weather you can be there or not, I'd choose not to go, but then again if they gave people a choice then there would be a LOT more atheists in the world hehehe. Basically they just force feed you that s*it all your life, and quite frankly I'm just sick and tired of it.

I'm sorry to have offended anyone, but I just hate religion now. Religion is just... stupid.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november

Old 08/29/2004, 10:07 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Default Re: Religion

Allow me to collect my thoughts here....

Well you're entitled to your opinion and well here's mine:

I get the feeling you were forced to go to church and you don't enjoy it. I didn't like it either. Because you don't enjoy it (possibly boring), you're willing to give it up altogether and envy those who get a free Sunday morning. I used to feel the same way.

But religion is a wonderful thing. It offers you guidance and helps you learn some life morals. I know a lot of people who quit going to church for the same reasons you wanna. They came back a few years later. They found it actually made them feel better, releaved stress, etc...Most of the groups that you describe as church going folk like people with friends who died or old people is a load of you know what. Most people run into those situations while attending church routinely and may do so more often as a result.

Perhaps you should talk to your minister or your parents about this problem. Don't say it in the way you told us...be very mature and down to earth about it. List your complaints and hear their suggestions. Or talk to your God parents about it. It's their role to make sure you believe in God.

Old 08/29/2004, 10:09 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Sex is a great stress relief.

Old 08/29/2004, 10:13 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
Sex is a great stress relief.
That is correct!!! Except when you've been single since May

Old 08/29/2004, 10:58 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Old 08/29/2004, 10:58 PM
Only Passing Through

Default Can't we all just get along?

Here's my personal two cents, I know 1) no one asked and 2) no one cares, but whatever...

I TRY my best to do the right thing. What God would want me to do. Sometimes I succeed, but a lot of times I fail. I hate my enemies. That's wrong. I do it anyway, though. Sometimes I blow my cork. That's also wrong.

You treat me good, I treat you good. Until such time as you cross me, I have no heat with you at all. Essentially, that's it in a nutshell.

I believe Jesus is Lord. If you disagree, that's your right. I won't take away your right to think for yourself. I hope you will pay me the same respect.

If you are an atheist, that's fine also. Agnostic? Cool. I have no heat with anyone for believing what they believe. Truthfully, had I have been born 4,000 years ago in India, I might have called Krishna Lord. As stated above, a LOT of it IS in fact based on my upbringing. But a lot of it is based on experience I have had first hand.

The way I act a lot of times, the things I say and do... I do not call myself a traditional Christian. Not because I am ashamed of The Lord. But because I do not wish to bring shame onto a totally flawless and without sin God. Im not worthy, to be blunt. But He does love me and I love him, though I disappoint him tremedously at times I know.

I don't look down on others for some of the things Christians do. I judge you by how you treat me. Is someone going to Hell for their sexual orientation, the fact that they smoke or drink alcohol, the fact that they have had premarital sex or adultry? You know what? God himself can deal with that at the appropriate time. He's had the job longer than I have and, despite what some folks say, I think he's doing a wonderful job. He doesn't need my advice or consultations.

I believe in The Celestine Prophecy, I believe in ESP, I believe in UFO'S and ghosts and the paranormal. I believe D.B. Cooper is still alive and I believe Diane Sawyer was Deepthroat. I believe in true love ( and maybe someday... ) and I believe in Jesus also.

My name is Ed and I am a Mo-A-Maniac...
Old 08/29/2004, 11:03 PM
Remember me?

I'm Roman Catholic and i do believe in God,
do i go to church..................no
do i go to CCD................................no(not anymore :/ )
but i did get baptised and recieve firsts communion, why i'm not getting confirmed is a whole different irritating story.
i know i'm definately not an athiest, i find myself always asking for forgiveness randomly after i talk about someone or lie LOL
ugh whatever, i'm definately not strictly religious but i do believe theres a god out there .............somewhere
Old 08/31/2004, 3:36 PM
<3 True Love <3

You Know What I don't get though!?!? Why do we go to God's house on Sunday When Sunday Is Supposed to Be A Day Of Rest.....I'm Sure God Doesn't want To Be Disturbed on His Day Of Rest.....And How Come God Has All Of these Houses...In The Muslim(Sorry If its spelt wrong) Religion God Has One House and That is Mecca, How Come For Christians He Has Like 1 house per city and SOme Times He has 2?!?! I Just Don't Get that But it's in My Opinion....

*disclaimer: this post is not intendid to offend male homosexuals due to it's flamboyancy...any discrepencies from this post need be discussed in a pm to the poster thank you!

Old 08/31/2004, 3:45 PM
DeRf

I agree with madislove, you dont HAVE to go to church even thoughthat is what some parents instill in thier children. I can pray in my own damn house. What makes some brick building with a cross stuck on top of it so significant that you should feel bad for not going THERE to worship?

Amen to that!

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia.

Last edited by MOtastic; 08/31/2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08/31/2004, 11:04 PM
Only Passing Through

Default Remember " The Outlaw's Prayer "

by the late, great Johnny Paycheck...
Old 08/31/2004, 11:50 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

I don't really care if anyone else goes to church or not. I do, and thats all that matters to me. What does bug me though, is how people think they can "save" themselves by only going to church on Christmas and Easter, therby forcing me, who doesn't want to leave an hour early to get a seat, to stand in the back.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 09/01/2004, 12:19 AM
A REALLY REALLY BIG FAN

You are entitled to your own opinion, madislove. That is why we have free will.

Personally, I am a Jehovah's Witness, and I find that it is not only a religion, but a way of life. I believe it is the true religion because of everything we learn makes so much sense.

I'll try to explain "some" of our beliefs in a nutshell.

You see, God has a name, Jehovah. He is the Amighty creator. Just like everything else has a maker, why shouldn't something so complicated, yet precise, like the universe and life?

He created the earth and the first human couple, Adam and Eve. They were perfect and lived on a paradise, the way life was supposed to be. They ruined it for us by disobeying God. And that is why we live in sin today. But there is hope for us. That is why Jesus' death is so important to us. He died for us to regain that hope that Adam and Eve lost for us. There is a future hope for all the righteous to live perfect lives on a paradise earth. That's why we go door to door, to warn people out of love, that this wicked system that we live in today, along with all the wicked people, will be destroyed and all the righteous will inherit the earth forever on a paradise earth as perfect human beings, the way it was meant to be.

I hope I am making sense. If I'm not, anyone can ask me anything.

I'VE GOT A LITTLE RED BOW / AND I BOUGHT IT FOR YOU / CUZ I KNOW YOU'RE NOT FAIR / I DON'T GET IT / OH WELL / AND YOU COLOR MY SKIN / AND THE COLORS DON'T BLEND / CUZ I'M GONNA GET YOU / AND YOUR LITTLE DOG, TOO / THERE'S A YELLOW BRICK ROAD / THAT WE FOLLOW BACK HOME / CUZ I KNOW YOU CAN'T WAIT / YOUR BELLIGERENT HATE / THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME / I'VE GOT A SOUTHERN BELLE, TOO / IN HER RUBY-RED SHOES / WITH A BODY OF STRAW / ARE YOU SICK OF IT ALL / THERE'S A MAN MADE OF TIN / WITH AN OIL-CAN GRIN / AND I'M GONNA GET YOU / AND YOUR LITTLE DOG, TOO /THERE'S A YELLOW BRICK ROAD / THAT WE FOLLOW BACK HOME / AND I KNOW YOU CAN'T WAIT / YOUR BELLIGERENT HATE / THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME / THERE'S A LITTLE WHITE PORCH / AND YOU WANTED IT SO / CAN YOU / LET ME GO DOWN / TO THE END OF THE ROAD? / IN THE BLACK AND THE WHITE / TECHNICOLORFUL LIFE / CAN I STAND BY YOUR SIDE? / WE CAN MAKE IT ALRIGHT / CUZ I'M HOME / THERE'S A LITTLE WHITE PORCH / AND YOU WANTED IT SO / CAN YOU LET ME GO DOWN / TO THE END OF THE ROAD? / IN THE BLACK AND THE WHITE / TECHNICOLORFUL LIFE / THEN ANOTHER ARRIVED / IT'S A COWARDLY LION / WHAT I WANT FROM THIS WORLD / WHAT I WANT TO RESOLVE / WELL I WANT YOU TO STAY / SO I WASH YOU AWAY / I DON'T WANNA BE BOLD / I DON'T WANNA BE COLD / I DON'T WANNA GROW OLD / I DON'T WANNA GO HOME!

< Breaking Benjamin - "Home"
Old 09/01/2004, 12:30 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I'm agnostic... leaning towards Atheism. I don't believe in God, but it doesn't bother me if others do, I'd just prefer not to hear about it at all. As for Church, I went for about half a year when I was about 10 or 11, and it was terrible. I don't see the point in going to something that bores the hell out of you just because others want you to. I'd rather do a Homer Simpson, and lie on my couch eating waffles watching the Swimsuit portion of Ms America.

Old 09/01/2004, 11:26 PM
Only Passing Through

Default " Outlaw's Prayer "

( Spoken, to " choir music " )

You know, I worked a big packed show this past Saturday night
Had all day Sunday to rest and relax, fore I caught another flight
So I decided to walk downtown and get myself a little fresh air
Fore Long I found myself in front of a church on the corner square
You could hear the singing way down the street, sure was a beautiful sound
So I just walked up the steps, opened the door and started to go in and sit down
But, before I could, a young man walked over to me and said " Excuse me, Sir...
But I can't let you in with that big black hat, those jeans, that beard and long hair... "
So I just left, went back outside and sat down on the curb
Thought to myself " That's the house of The Lord...
That guy's got a helluva nerve...
Telling me I can't worship where I please... "
So right in front of the church, I got down on my knees
I said " Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind
I just wanted to be with your people, Lord... it's been a long time
While ago, I saw a wine-o over in the alley, all bent over in tears
I thought how one stained glass window from this church would feed his family for years.
Then there's those fine cars parked outside, too many for me to count
Made me think how people walked for days to hear your Sermon on the Mount
Then there's those fine ladies in the choir, Lord, singing like they really love it
Hell, last night, they were dancing on the front row of my show, drinking beer and screamin' " SING '... Shove It ' "
You know, even John The Baptist wouldn't be welcome in this place
With his coat made of camel hair, sandals on his feet and a long beard on his face
You know, Lord, when you come back to get your children, to take em beyond the clouds
To live forever in Heaven with you... I'd sure hate to be in this crowd
You know, Lord, Im not perfect, some even call me " no count "
But I'll tell ya... I believe a man is judged by what's in his heart
And NOT his bank account
So if this is what religion is... big car, suit and a tie
I might as well forget it Lord... I can't qualify
Oh, by the way, Lord, right fore they kicked me out, didn't I see a picture of you?
Sandals and a beard? Believe you had long hair, too...
Well, this is Paycheck, signing off. I'll be seeing you, Lord...

I HOPE...
Old 09/02/2004, 6:44 AM
Isn´t she something?

Default I just don´t care

To tell the true, I just don´t know what to say.
My all family is catholic and I received a Catholic education. I used to belive in God, Mother Mary and Saints and prayed a lot until I was 12-13 years old. After that, for a long period of time I was agnostic. But then, when I was 21 or 22 years old, I started to go to the church, but... religion doesn´t have any meaning for me anymore. I just don´t care. I don´t have the patience to discuss if God exists or not. The only thing that matters to me is to have a good heart: be kind to other people, help the others, that kind of stuff... To me, you don´t have to be religious to be a "good person". There´s a lots of criminals that are religious people; religion didn´t stop them from commiting a crime and hurt the others, and, on the other hand, there´s a lots of atheists who are wonderful people. You know what a mean, right?
I respect all the people: from religious to atheists, as long they respect me too! I don´t like fanatical people: they scare me a lot!

Old 09/02/2004, 8:23 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i believe in...miracles
DO YA DO YA DO YA
where u from?
u sexy thang you

sorry...ever since i started reading this thread i got the urge to say that

but i'm non-religious
and yeah i gotta say i think that the cause of a lot of problems in this world is religion because certain religions preach about not accepting certain people and certain people are sinners/evil blah blah blah and all that crap
yep
Old 09/02/2004, 9:52 PM
"Serpentine! Run!"

hmmmmm...well, this is an iffy topic for me too....i really am not a religious person...my parents are both buddhist and asian....taiwanese to be exact.

we never really had a set schedulae to go to the temple, everyone was always working jobs and there basically was no time for religion...though from what i can gather from ym friends, religion is a thing i DO want to get into, but not too much into it.

i do believe that there is one ...how would you say... "thing, person, god, animal, spirit..w/e" that is watching over all of us as long as we all practice the basic common morals, no lying, no cheating in life, and basically no crimes...

i dont know what this is called if there is a name for it but if anyone could help me..i would appreciate it =P

does anyone else in this forum have feelings like this?...or am i loner =(

I come through with a "huh" and a "God that's cute,"
And my name is Lorraine,
White as cocaine.

I'm a real cool woman,
Not a backseat woman,
And I'm the reason MAD's back for season seven.

Disagree? Well boohoo and tough luck,
'Cuz to tell you the truth,
I don't give a "Huhuhuhuhuh"!

High-heeled gals go rockin' through the streets,
Four hot ass chicks from the MADtv.

Gawwwdd, thats cute
Old 09/03/2004, 6:19 PM
Chunk up the deuce

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
I'm agnostic... leaning towards Atheism. I don't believe in God, but it doesn't bother me if others do, I'd just prefer not to hear about it at all. [/QUOTE

im the same way...

(|SmokeDankBud|)