Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > All About Us
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01/22/2008, 11:24 PM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Default What's your religion?

Mine, I don't necessarily have one. I'm agnostic, but I'm not in that I do believe in God...

Your turn!

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote




  #2  
Old 01/23/2008, 4:53 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Vehement anti-theist here. I'm essentially an atheist but I take it a step further because I believe religion to be a damaging institution and would like it to be no more

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01/23/2008, 6:21 PM
JustG's Avatar
JustG Male JustG is offline
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 441
I was raised Catholic; baptised, confirmation, first communion all that stuff years ago. But now I don't claim Catholocism because personally I find it to be warped, and misinformative and it tries to scare people into living a certain way. It puts people on a guilt trip and I'm not into that nonsense. I'm spiritual and I believe in God, but I'm not religious

__________________
"Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence, seldom become anything but nothing at all."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01/23/2008, 6:33 PM
Scorpiogrrl4405's Avatar
Scorpiogrrl4405 Female Scorpiogrrl4405 is offline
Totally F****able
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 7,399
I've pretty much dabbled in every religion you can think of with the exeption of the "isms" (buddism, hinduism, judaism) and Islam.


I claim no religious beliefs because I am opposed to any institution that claims I am bad because of who I am.

__________________
I would rather sit here and accomplish nothing than accomplish something and be considered an inspiration and a role model simply because I use a wheelchair to get around.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01/23/2008, 6:49 PM
elscorcho Male elscorcho is offline
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,232
I will never claim an organized religion. I do believe in some sort of higher power, but it's such a joke to me that people think they know exactly what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01/23/2008, 7:36 PM
TchaKnowWhat's Avatar
TchaKnowWhat Female TchaKnowWhat is offline
i'm an institution
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: chicAAAAHHHHgo
Posts: 1,383
I was raised catholic, went to catholic school for six years and did all that shit. but truly, i dont identify with any religion. i really dislike organized religion, i think beliefs are too personal a thing to be identical with an entire community's. not to mention, half the rules and shit in churches are made by the priests, and i hate when the Bible is taken so literally.

i think that somethings up there keeping everything running, i just dont know what it is. it could be fucking egyptian gods for all we know. im too cynical to believe in a religion that could be just as wrong as the next one. who the hell knows?

__________________

oh hey, this place is different

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01/23/2008, 9:11 PM
mizzimad Male mizzimad is offline
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,062
I'm a devout follower of mizzimadism. Send in your donations today, and I promise me eternal wealth.

Aside from that, I don't subscribe to any religion. I'm neither anti- nor pro-religion. If whatever you believe in helps you and doesn't harm others or strive to make them feel guilty for breathing, then go for it. God is whoever or whatever you want Him/Her/It to be, or no one at all. If you believe it, then preach on; if I don't believe it, then please don't forcefeed it to me or advocate forcefeeding it to kids in school. Then we'll get along just fine.

Actually, now that I think about it, there really is a God: Grace Slick's daughter. Well, that's what she named her, or at least that's what the things she fed her head with in the '60s led her to name her. Irrefutable proof there, folks!

__________________
"Charles Nelson Reilly is a bad mutha...."
"Shut yo' mouth!"
"I'm talkin' 'bout Macho Chuck."
"We can dig it!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01/23/2008, 10:35 PM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
I was raised Catholic; baptized, confirmation, first communion all that stuff years ago. But now I don't claim Catholicism because personally I find it to be warped, and mis-informative and it tries to scare people into living a certain way. It puts people on a guilt trip and I'm not into that nonsense. I'm spiritual and I believe in God, but I'm not religious
Count me in all of that except replace "Catholic" with "Baptist," and drop "baptized." My folks are constantly trying to get me 'back' into church, and Ol'Dude (Pastor Percy) gave his lecture and really pissed me off. No church for me!

By the way, some bible-thumpers released this flyer about this late Heath Ledger person:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...zzzzzzzqr2.jpg

As a GLBT, this is yet another reason why I refuse church.

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01/24/2008, 9:07 AM
Scorpiogrrl4405's Avatar
Scorpiogrrl4405 Female Scorpiogrrl4405 is offline
Totally F****able
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 7,399
What gets me is that those people only protest about one "abomination"


you don't see them protesting at funerals of people that committed other "abominations" as laid out in the bible do ya.

__________________
I would rather sit here and accomplish nothing than accomplish something and be considered an inspiration and a role model simply because I use a wheelchair to get around.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01/24/2008, 11:32 AM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogrrl4405 View Post
What gets me is that those people only protest about one "abomination"


you don't see them protesting at funerals of people that committed other "abominations" as laid out in the bible do ya.
Not a damn thing! Plus, if they're so holier-than-thou, and they act as if they know the Bible like the back of their hand, you'd think that they would take the "throwing stones" incident into account.

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01/24/2008, 11:46 AM
Cagnazzo's Avatar
Cagnazzo Male Cagnazzo is offline
Bender: still great
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WCW Special Forces
Posts: 2,024
I'm very much anti-religion, through and through. Religion itself is highly flawed in and of itself - how are we to know which one is right and which one is wrong? How are we to know if ALL of them are wrong when we in fact ascend to the spirit world in the afterlife?

That's not to say I don't believe in a "God" of sorts, though. To me, it seems rather silly that the universe managed to form "by chance", because I remember reading an article about how Albert Einstein believed that the chances of the universe forming without the presence of a higher power were one in millions upon millions?

__________________
I've gone minimalist now
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01/24/2008, 3:29 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
What is more likely, that the universe formed as the way we now it via some processes that have yet to be disproven by science or that the universe formed because some infinitely wise, all seeing power decided to do it? Also, that power or being's existence and origin is ostensibly unprovable. I think the choice of words "by chance" to describe the way the universe came to be is a straw man and misleading. If things could have happened differently, that just would mean things in the universe would be different. It doesn't mean that everything that has happened so far is the only way the universe could have formed. I would think there would be a myriad of different paths the universe could have taken in the course of time, each one of which producing a different result. If we roll a 20 sided die and it happens to land on 1, are we suspicious that it just happened to land on 1? It had equal probability with any other outcome.

Also on the topic of the Westboro Baptist Church, their arguments for why they feel the need to protest at funerals reminds me of something I read about recently regarding the Virgin Mary. I can't remember all of it but it was something in the Catholic church about how the wage of sin is death, and since they feel it is impossible that the blessed virgin Mary could have sinned, it would thereby be impossible for her to have died (or possibly lived?). Anywho, I guess up until pretty recently, the Catholic church could just have you killed for posing a difficult question like that, but since that stopped working, Rome "discovered" whats called the Dogma of Assumption as recently as 1951. The Assumption asserts that she did not go to heaven via death but actually was physically lifted to heaven, body as well as soul

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01/24/2008, 9:54 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
i just read about that stuff with Heath Ledger
what is wrong with people? thats just really sick.
these religious zealots give the rest of their religion a bad name.
It worries me a lot when i see docos and stuff with people holding signs saying "god created aids to kill fags" i just can't imagine having so much hatred towards something that you would actually wish for it to die.
And its for this reason that i dislike religion.I've always thought that it teaches people to hate rather then accept and love.
I don't hate people that are religious though,one of my best friends is a devote christian,and shes gay.She thinks people pick and choose what they WANT to believe from the bible,anything they can use to back up what they think,in their opinion,is ungodly
(i just had a magaret perrin moment..ITS TAINTED,ITS UNGODLY)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01/24/2008, 10:32 PM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
Anywho, I guess up until pretty recently, the Catholic church could just have you killed for posing a difficult question like that, but since that stopped working, Rome "discovered" whats called the Dogma of Assumption as recently as 1951. The Assumption asserts that she did not go to heaven via death but actually was physically lifted to heaven, body as well as soul
Wow, they had Red Bull way back then?!

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01/24/2008, 11:31 PM
JustG's Avatar
JustG Male JustG is offline
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 441
Those groups dedicate more time into hating people than they do loving anyone they proclaim they do...bullshizzle to the maximum. It's funny too because a good friend of mine actually provided this information once before about a study conducted a little over 10 years ago. They took a group of straight men and split into 2 groups: homophobic and non-homophobic and they each watched gay/straight/lesbian porn. Turns out that only the non-homophobic reacted to the straight and lesbian porn. However, the homophobic group reacted to the gay porn.

**Adams HE, Wright LW Jr, Lohr BA. Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal? J Abnorm Psychol. 1996 Aug;105(3):440-5. ** If you need proof.

What's my point?? I'm 99% sure that all of those damn church leaders are closeted gays/lesbians going through latent homosexuality which mostly likely causes strong homophobia...

__________________
"Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence, seldom become anything but nothing at all."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01/25/2008, 3:15 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
oh i don't doubt that at all.
A lot of homophobia stems from fear and the fear of being homosexual
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01/25/2008, 7:59 PM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
oh i don't doubt that at all.
A lot of homophobia stems from fear and the fear of being homosexual
Like the gospel world's biggest closet case, Donnie McClurkin (gospel singer.) He "was" gay as a teen, and was "cured of homosexuality though prayer."
He's now on a mission to, quote,"rid the world of those [gays] who continue to kill our children." This is coming from a GOSPEL singer.

You know what? Here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_..._homosexuality

http://www.americablog.com/2007/10/o...d-to-play.html

Knock ya' self out.

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01/25/2008, 8:29 PM
JustG's Avatar
JustG Male JustG is offline
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 441
Oooooh I remember this ass clown. The same Gospel singer who was helping out Obama with his presidential campaign, and let me tell you: Obama has lost points on my behalf for pulling this stunt. And please everyone knows that there's no such thing as "once being gay but now straight." I guarantee you that Mr. Donnie McClurkin still has tendencies. That whole shock therapy concept was proven to be completely ineffective and results in people being even more confused than they already are (if they're confused). People like McClurkin disgust me.

__________________
"Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence, seldom become anything but nothing at all."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01/25/2008, 8:39 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Why does that have anything to do with Obama's viability as a presidential candidate? That's like somebody voting for Hilary because of that basketball player endorsing her.

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01/25/2008, 8:41 PM
crushonmary's Avatar
crushonmary Male crushonmary is offline
JAVAN said so.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
Oooooh I remember this ass clown. The same Gospel singer who was helping out Obama with his presidential campaign, and let me tell you: Obama has lost points on my behalf for pulling this stunt. And please everyone knows that there's no such thing as "once being gay but now straight." I guarantee you that Mr. Donnie McClurkin still has tendencies. That whole shock therapy concept was proven to be completely ineffective and results in people being even more confused than they already are (if they're confused). People like McClurkin disgust me.
My folks don't know I'm bisexual, and it sickens me that they have me download his music for them to listen to.

__________________
Big Brother 8 Jen ~ Javan ~ Big Brother 9 Neil

Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion madislove Off-topic Discussion 17 09/03/2004 5:19 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 AM.