Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/22/2007, 7:49 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Post MADtv and the 2007 Writers Strike

Despite not recieving official word from anyone affiliate with MADtv, we have gathered enough information over the past few weeks to give you a rough idea of where MADtv stands in the present WGA Strike situation.

While the 300th episode made it to air last weekend, a large percentage of viewers were left disheartened by the quality of the episode, which by all rights, should have been a roaring success. While the change in format and suggested budget slashing may be the main cause of the episode being lackluster, the last minute cancellations of scheduled guest stars Will Sasso and Alex Borstein, as well as the cancellation of the Red Carpet Bash at the Henry Fonda Theatre, scheduled for November 14th at 7pm, may be partly to blame. The hiring of stand-up comedians Steve Byrne and Jon Reep to perform their material, as well as the use of encore sketches and the improvised "Rice and Beans Tour" can be seen as a way to fill in gaps in the current episodes, where original material may have been intended.

In addition, one crew member has already been fired as a result of strike-related action. Asterios Kokkinos, a researcher for the show who was responsible for updating the MADtv website in seasons 10 and 11, assisted WGA members in disrupting the taping of a sketch called "The Worst Magician in the World" at Delongpre Park in Hollywood. You can read all about the events surrounding his dismissal here.

Due to a number of sketches being written and pre-approved before the strike was set in motion, the producers of MADtv were able to greenlight the remaining episodes scheduled to appear during the month of November, right up to episode #1308 set to air this Saturday (11-24-2007), starring Kathy Griffin. However, any episodes and tapings scheduled to occur after this Saturday (including the taping with tennis star Serena Williams, which was set to take place this week) have been cancelled until the networks and the writers seek some sort of resolution. So make the most of the new episode, as it could potentially be the last one we see for a while.

UPDATE (02/07): Michael Eisner, former CEO of Disney, just announced on CNBC's "Fast Money" that the WGA and AMPTP have finally struck a deal. Pending this Saturday's sure-to-be-successful official vote, THE STRIKE IS OVER!

Last edited by blackwind; 02/08/2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Bumping for the RSS feed.

Old 11/22/2007, 8:34 AM
zlolz

This sucks, but they're going into talks on Monday so hopefully it'll all get resolved. If it does, we could probably see new episodes in late December or January. Cross your fingers!

Old 11/23/2007, 3:19 AM
Casual Fan

I think it is interesting to see from this guy that they have approximately 20 'character based' sketches waiting.

So they have written new sketches for all the characters...why aren't they using them?

Don't say 'budget' because the writeres wouldn't have bothered writing them if they were unfeasible to begin with...

MADoz
Old 11/23/2007, 8:21 AM
Fresh Meat

Yeah I was wondering what's been going on. Just not feeling the energy the past couple episodes. The new theme song is just... annoying, too. Too fast paced to hear every commercial break.

I'm usually against standup comedy (Bobby said they're going to do it for the whole season), but Steve Byrn was hilarious.

Old 11/23/2007, 3:54 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

this strike is now starting to affect australian tv schedules
FOr as long as i can remember,all the major networks air their shows from feburary,cause our ratings season runs from february to november,so a lot of american shows were held back and would start airing in feb
anyway,with downloads becoming more popular and networks losing viewers cause they could get eps months ahead,all the networks decided to "fast track" a lot of shows(most notable are heroes,prison break,house) which are all now starting to dry up and are being pulled from our screens
Trust this to happen the first year they try this 'fast track' stuff
Oh well...
hopefully all this will be sorted out soon
Old 11/23/2007, 7:08 PM
Fresh Meat

Good for that guy! I really hope the show stays on and does well, but things like this give me the willies and make me realize it's a lost cause.

I found this interesting when he was telling the producer that he needs to listen and stuff:

"No, you're gonna hear me out. You're calling me from your cell phone during lunch on a saturday. Plus, you owe me for that Toby thing. So you're gonna listen to this."

wasn't toby the weekly news kid who stopped working for the show in the middle of last season? oooooo drama!
Old 11/24/2007, 2:00 AM
Fresh Meat

Default More Complicated Than That

I, like most thinking people, support the writers during this strike. That's a given. However, I find it troubling when the situation is oversimplfied to the point of involving just writers and producers and no one else. There are hundreds of people who work on a show who are not striking and are, in fact, contractually obligated to show up and produce the scripts that remain--scripts that the writers have already been compensated for.

So when a guy with a saxaphone takes it upon himself to cancel a day of work for these other people, I'd be quick to point out that shutting down location shoots with scripts written in advance of the strike is not something that the WGA supports. It might be a pretty nifty thing to do if you want to be a writer someday, but not if you want to be a cinematographer, a teamster, or any of a number of other people who don't get paid unless the show is produced. And since these people are headed for a long winter, I think it's pretty selfish to deny them of their last couple of paychecks. Once again, I believe it's important that the writers are striking and I hope they get what they want, but if guys like Asterios want "the town to grind to a halt" why don't they just start smashing windows and setting cars on fire and promise to stop when a deal is struck? That might work too.

And in case you're wondering what situation the cast might be in, the president of SAG has made it very clear on their website: "We must support our fellow SAG members on every set even if they have to cross a picket line to get to work. They are simply following the advice of their union and honoring their contract. It is not reasonable to expect SAG cast members to risk the potentially enormous personal liability that may flow from refusing to work in the absence of a SAG strike. Please note, the WGA contract includes a similar “No Strike” clause and writers would be bound to the same rules as you are if another union were striking."

Last edited by SmokeNMirrors; 11/24/2007 at 3:23 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 7:15 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I'm reading that the transcript from Asterios's firing, and a few things hit me:

1. The writers were already paid for the episodes, but the cast wasn't. So I guess this means that the cast won't be striking? And is it like this for other shows as well?

2. The unnamed cast member was probably Michael or Jordan, since they write the most.

3. "You owe me for that Toby thing"? What does that mean?

4. I don't necessarily agree that it's a shitty move for them to keep shooting. While I do sympathize with the strikers, this is sweeps month, so they have to do what they can. Plus, the cast hadn't been paid yet.

5. If they really write 30 sketches a week (and they're mostly non-topical character sketches), why do they need all this filler? The budget is low, but that isn't an excuse since all of the "filler" material is either on stage or on location, which most of the actual sketches would be anyway. Plus, could this mean a possible 1309?

The WGA is supposed to be going into talks tomorrow, so hopefully, most of this is irrelevant. But in the chance that talks fall through (which, hopefully, they won't [I wan't Scrubs to get a finale, dammit!]), they could keep shooting until almost February.

Old 11/26/2007, 6:08 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Hey, good news everybody (well, kinda):

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...s-been-struck/

So the good news is the strike is all but officially settled (supposedly)

The bad news is we still won't see any shows going back into production till around Christmas time. But I guess that's okay since most shows have enough episodes to last till then.

Old 11/26/2007, 6:58 PM
zlolz

So does this mean no Christmas ep this year? :/ Oh well, nothing can top last year's anyway.

Old 11/27/2007, 10:14 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

The Office is already out of episodes... I'm going to go through withdrawal

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 11/27/2007, 12:57 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_7 View Post
The Office is already out of episodes... I'm going to go through withdrawal
You and me both, gurlfrand
Old 11/27/2007, 2:05 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elscorcho View Post
You and me both, gurlfrand
ohhh yay fellow office fans

It sucks having to wait so long between new episodes. Especially when the last episode to air was so sad! Poor Michael...

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 11/30/2007, 2:10 AM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNMirrors View Post
I, like most thinking people, support the writers during this strike. That's a given. However, I find it troubling when the situation is oversimplfied to the point of involving just writers and producers and no one else. There are hundreds of people who work on a show who are not striking and are, in fact, contractually obligated to show up and produce the scripts that remain--scripts that the writers have already been compensated for.

So when a guy with a saxaphone takes it upon himself to cancel a day of work for these other people, I'd be quick to point out that shutting down location shoots with scripts written in advance of the strike is not something that the WGA supports. It might be a pretty nifty thing to do if you want to be a writer someday, but not if you want to be a cinematographer, a teamster, or any of a number of other people who don't get paid unless the show is produced. And since these people are headed for a long winter, I think it's pretty selfish to deny them of their last couple of paychecks. Once again, I believe it's important that the writers are striking and I hope they get what they want, but if guys like Asterios want "the town to grind to a halt" why don't they just start smashing windows and setting cars on fire and promise to stop when a deal is struck? That might work too.

And in case you're wondering what situation the cast might be in, the president of SAG has made it very clear on their website: "We must support our fellow SAG members on every set even if they have to cross a picket line to get to work. They are simply following the advice of their union and honoring their contract. It is not reasonable to expect SAG cast members to risk the potentially enormous personal liability that may flow from refusing to work in the absence of a SAG strike. Please note, the WGA contract includes a similar “No Strike” clause and writers would be bound to the same rules as you are if another union were striking."
Hey,

This was clearly written by someone on staff at Mad who's upset with me. Someone's trying to punk you guys!

Take care,
Asterios
Old 11/30/2007, 3:54 PM
Hardcore Fan

Who to believe? It's a little unusual for Hollywood politics to be brought on a tv show forum, but I guess it happens sometimes. I guess I believe Asterios because he seems genuine
Old 11/30/2007, 6:58 PM
Still the best!

Wow, so much drama on these forums lately...especially the Front Page News forum.

^I just made a MADtv reference!

Old 12/04/2007, 4:15 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

I must say, I'm disappointed in you two. Where's the full-on catfight we were all expecting?

Old 12/07/2007, 10:17 PM
zlolz

Well, looks like this strike could be going until March after all...

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...led-with-lies/

This has to be the angriest strike i've EVER seen...and in addition to that, it's also one of the ones that effects people the most. If this strike continues for too long, eventually movies will be effected and Hollywood will be running short on those (though it'll take a while for that to happen).

Old 12/08/2007, 12:59 PM
Hardcore Fan

I'm not surprised about the news of still ongoing writers' strike. That means more old episodes of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Old 12/08/2007, 1:55 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

I'm still ecstatic about the strike. Big Brother 8 has been CONFIRMEd to be airing in february. I. can't. wait.

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.