Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Post Old 03/04/2004, 5:08 PM
sarducci
This message is hidden because sarducci was banned from the site.
Old 03/04/2004, 5:10 PM
Mr. Egoist

Good impersonations, primarily Clay Aiken. Ron's much funnier than Ike at the very least.

Old 03/04/2004, 10:27 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Admittedly, Ron is a theatre performer and his strengths do rest in his amazing acting abilities. I wouldn't say he is a comedian like Stephnie Weir for instance, but he is in my opinion very humourous. He is Canadian and his humour is Canadian humour. Unlike SNLers or Will Sasso who were Canadian and sort of presented Canadian humour but did more American humour (Will didn't do Canadian humour at all) I find Ron's humour pure Canadian, something that not all Americans understand. But also, not every actor is everything to everyone. Even though Andrew Daly wasn't the most popular MADtv alumni member, there was still a fanbase of people who thought he was funny.

So to answer your question: Ron doesn't tell jokes, he just is humourous with his excellent acting abilities. It was Martin Short that recognized this and recommended him to FOX.

Old 03/04/2004, 10:38 PM
Right-wing rocker

Ron has great comedic timing and good impressions. He can also act really well, like Gina said. When you're a good actor, you can do comedy pretty well even if you aren't necesarilly a comedian.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/04/2004, 10:44 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

It's like how the actors on Friends aren't comedians but I think they are hilarious on TV!

BTW I have loved Friends since the beginning so don't even start making disparaging remarks!!!

Old 03/05/2004, 12:09 AM

His Woody Allen impression is great.
Old 03/05/2004, 12:54 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I first liked Ron when he was at the cat in the hat premiere. His Grandpa Finkel (?) from the feuding parents was great and his Clay Aiken is great. He doesn't get much stuff to do though, which is a shame.

Old 03/05/2004, 1:27 AM
Hardcore Fan

I would like to first remind everyone that (amazingly enough) I did not start this thread.
Here's my take, as not only one of the biggest b*tches on the forum, but one of the biggest Ike fans, as well.
I don't think Ron is untalented, I just think he is more of an actor than a comedian. He's good on the show because he can do some odd, incorrect, but hilarious impressions. Everyone knows that Clay Aiken is no where near that Effeminant, but it doesn't matter because it really funny, and most really well loved impressions aren't all that authentic (Ex: mike's andra) (Ron's Woddy Allen is pretty accurate, though) He's also good because actors know how to memorize lines. But that doesn't make him a comedian. IMO as a former actiong student and a constant comedy student, The differnce between acting and comedy has to do with what the performer does when he's not on set. Comedians Typicaly write alot of their own material, atleast in the begining of their careers. Actors just regurgitate lines, well, that's not true, they memorize them as well. But, they don't have to write their own stuff, unless they want to, in comedy, it's different. With acting, you look pretty you sound nice, and you remember your lines, and you've got it made, with comedy, you have to do that and you have to write, and writing is hard. One day, you've got nothing, and then, in the middle of the night, you all off a sudden have a brilliant idea and stay up until dawn making sure that you get it all down. I'll admit that Ron is a talented actor, but his comedy is written for him. Atleast, in that aspect, Ike helps out in alot of his stuff.
Also, I don't understand why everyone keeps on saying that HE has a candian sense of humor. I didn't know that once you cross the boarder, the you're not allowed to have the same jokes. I mean, I'm pretty full blooded american, but I don't have a problem understanding what the writers have Ron say. How is his hummor so drastically canadian. I'm not trying to sound like a brat here, I seriously would like to know!
Old 03/05/2004, 1:45 AM
UC Davis Aggie Alumnus

As for Canadian humor vs. American humor. I think I see where people are getting this idea of division. It's just that maybe Canadians understand his jokes, actions, etc. better? It's kinda like American comedy vs. British comedy, or West Coast rap vs. East Coast rap.

But... IMO, I guess it depends on the person that is watching or listening to whatever to interpret it their own way. As for me, I think I'm well-rounded enough to understand when something is funny no matter what region it is. I like watching a lot of British shows and find how they use words pretty funny.

For example:
lou = bathroom
pussy = cat
knickers = underwear

Bunifa: Yo, Yo, Yo. Who you callin' a bitch? Do I look like yo momma?
Old 03/05/2004, 6:28 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Ron's humour is Canadian because Canada is still a very different culture from the States. Every country has a different sense of humour. Like any other apect of any other culture you can't always 'get' Canadian humour. I actually didn't get the American humour of MADtv in general the first episode I saw until the Vancome Lady. As to describe what Canadian humour is...I don't think I really could. It's like trying to describe what another language's accent sounds like in writing. But what many Canadian comedians have said is that when they have gone to the USA for TV comedies, they are basically told what to do. Gavin Crawford (HYPE) has been outspken about this as has Jessica Holmes (Royal Canadian Air Farce, audtioned for MADtv), Shaun Majumder (Cedric the Entertainer) just to name a few. Most noted the experience as a nightmare and have since returned to Canada. So while it's easy for American-born comedians to do well in the USA, it takes an adjustment and work for not just Canadians but any foreign comedians. Just picture an American trying to do just say Australian humour...it wouldn't be easy.

Old 03/05/2004, 9:05 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Jessica Holmes (Royal Canadian Air Farce, audtioned for MADtv)
I can't imagine the outrage on this board if she made it on MADtv... you thought stephnie weir and her voice was bad??? you ain't seen nothing yet...
b-b-babyyyy you ain't seen nothing yet!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 03/06/2004, 12:50 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Just picture an American trying to do just say Australian humour...it wouldn't be easy.
Well, I know that Americans don't purposefully write stuff about Austaralia, but I've seen the comedy tours when people from all different countries do stand up in Austalia, and they seemed to get the jokes that the Americans told. Also, I'm an avid KITH fan, and they're Canadian, but I've always understood them. I also Love Monty Pytho, who we all know are from England, and I can understand them just fine. I think I must be mis understanding what you mean by Canadian Humor, If I were to go do a show up in Canada, would I be labled an American Humorist?
View Post Old 03/08/2004, 6:05 PM
sarducci
This message is hidden because sarducci was banned from the site.
Old 03/09/2004, 5:07 PM
Mr. Egoist

SNL has enough white guys as it is, and maybe Short's soured on the current state of SNL.

Old 03/09/2004, 10:43 PM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sarducci
Where'd you hear about the Martin Short thing? You'd thing that he would have recommended him to SNL since he recommended Mike Myers to SNL.
Maybe he likes MADtv better, he did guest star in the 100th episode afterall

Last edited by funny_guy; 03/10/2004 at 8:23 PM.
Old 03/10/2004, 4:39 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by GoGo Yubari
SNL has enough white guys as it is, and maybe Short's soured on the current state of SNL.
Who wouldn't be? Lorne Michaels is a controlling little paper pusher now. And With Tina as Head Writer, everything is really biased towards Second Citi-ers, Especially anything that she or Rachel Writes. I wouldn't want to Work there unless she were gone! And I bet that If Short had thought that Ron would have done better on SNl, he would have suggested it, Maybe Short has really good Judgement, because I know ron's never been on SNl, I don't think that he would have gotten as much air time or as many chance to act- really act- on SNl as he does o n MAD
Old 03/10/2004, 8:12 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Speaking of Ron. I've actually decided I'm probably only going to continue watching MADtv while he's on. After that, I don't think I will bother anymore. I never thought I would say that...

Old 03/11/2004, 8:16 AM
Only Passing Through

Default To answer the original question...

1) Not a damn thing

or

2) The fact he gets a check from MO TV

Just my opinion...
Old 03/11/2004, 9:08 AM
Regular

Just two words for you M/M and they start & end with the same letters ....

Old 03/11/2004, 10:28 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrekim
Just two words for you M/M and they start & end with the same letters ....