Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/07/2003, 1:40 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Default Ron Pederson

So what does everyone think of him so far? He's my fav featured player IMO. He's funny (I love that Canadian humour, makes him distincted but has chemistry) works great with everyone else and great at straight man roles (senator debate sketch), very versatile and popular with some of the ladies! He did this without any recurring characters yet and very few celebrity impressions (Saddam, Rob Nelson) this just shows something. I hope he's in the perminant cast next season!

Old 02/07/2003, 2:22 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Thumbs Up

I think Ron is excellent! Josh is still my favorite, but Ron isn't close behind.
Old 02/10/2003, 9:30 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
I think Ron is excellent! Josh is still my favorite, but Ron isn't close behind.
He's a great featured player, and it would be great if he became a regular. We have too many male featured players, but with Simon's departure and Paul's annoying voice, it looks like he might make it into the final round.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 02/10/2003, 9:35 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

We could always start a petition to bump him up into perminant castmember status??? I think he deserves it!

Old 02/10/2003, 10:12 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
We could always start a petition to bump him up into perminant castmember status??? I think he deserves it!
To quote Chrissy on "Tres Companeros," Ay yi yi! Ay yi yi! LOL, no more petitions. :p You can't start a petition for everything, no matter how desperate you are.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Old 02/11/2003, 1:56 AM
Regular

Quote:
I like him, too, but are you saying he should be bumped up before Josh and Ike? Those two are in more shows and are used more often; it's more likely they'll be promoted before him. I think they should get promoted right now while Ron stays a featured player and they give him more airtime, and if he remains good, then he should get promoted.

Quote:
We have too many male featured players, but with Simon's departure and Paul's annoying voice, it looks like he might make it into the final round.
It seems that everybody here hates Paul already. I'll admit, I am a little biased because I liked his impressions on the Rerun Show (he was the only memorable cast member on that show, just like Frank was the only good cast member on Hype), but I think he's good. I haven't all of of his sketches on Mad TV yet, so maybe he has been annoying in them. He's probably a better impressionist than a character actor. They should have him do impressions more often.

I never liked Simon even in his limited time. Something about him always annoyed me. Maybe it was the "spazzy wacky guy" description. Maybe it was his horribly unfunny-sounding "celebrity anal rape" act that I read about that made me lose all respect for him (but, thankfully, he didn't do it on the show). It didn't seem like he had much to offer. Most people say that his best performance came from as the little girl in the 7th Heaven sketch, but I didn't think he was any special in that sketch. It was only funny because the impression was done by a guy who looked nothing like the real character. Any of the male cast members could've done that role. Anyway, I'm glad he's off the show now.

Last edited by R&S Fan; 02/11/2003 at 6:29 PM.
Old 02/11/2003, 10:43 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Actually, I think Simon DID look a lot like Ruthy, that's partly what made it so funny! And it was the way he delivered his lines that made it really funny too.

BTW don't abuse the petitions.. otherwise they'll have no effect
Old 02/11/2003, 12:13 PM
Regular

I think that Ron will be a perminant cast member, no need for a petition . Just wait and see .
Old 02/11/2003, 12:20 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I agree! Ike's just not funny---or at least funny enough, he's kinda annoying. I don't however like their favouritism to Josh Meyers who gets way more positive attention from the writers than anyone else in the featured cast. Ron has outshined everyone else in every skecth no matter how significant his character---this is a very good thing to have. I don't mind too much if Josh does or doesn't get bumped up but only as long as Ike doesn't and Ron does first!

Old 02/11/2003, 4:51 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
I agree! Ike's just not funny---or at least funny enough, he's kinda annoying. I don't however like their favouritism to Josh Meyers who gets way more positive attention from the writers than anyone else in the featured cast. Ron has outshined everyone else in every skecth no matter how significant his character---this is a very good thing to have. I don't mind too much if Josh does or doesn't get bumped up but only as long as Ike doesn't and Ron does first!
I don't think Ike is all that annoying, he was quite good in many of his sketches. I also see why you like Ron, but I don't want to make a judgement right now. We're not even finished with the season...

--Reality Check

Old 04/26/2003, 3:02 AM
Fresh Meat

i've been watching ron perform improv on stage for four years now, and trust me, he is always funny. always. i would love to see him make it into the cast. GO RON!!!
Old 04/26/2003, 9:27 AM
Christina Aguilera

Quote:
Originally posted by mrekim
I think that Ron will be a perminant cast member, no need for a petition . Just wait and see .
On the official Madtv website it has none of his characters. They haven't even put up Christina Moore as a featured player. I wonder why!?

"Well Hello!"
"Oh great, a talking gecko!"
Old 04/26/2003, 8:06 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Stix, do you know Ron personally? i'm guessing you live in Edmonton and have seen Die-Nasty? Tell us some more about seeing him live!

MADTV will be making a HUGE mistake if they let him go. SNL will probably pick him up or he'll make it big on his own. He's going to be huge some day!

Old 04/26/2003, 9:12 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by stix
i've been watching ron perform improv on stage for four years now, and trust me, he is always funny. always. i would love to see him make it into the cast. GO RON!!!
:

Yeah Stiix I'm with you GO RON !!!
Old 04/26/2003, 9:17 PM
Christina Aguilera

Quote:
Originally posted by mrekim
:

Yeah Stiix I'm with you GO RON !!!
I really like Ron, him, Christina and Josh would be awesome additions!!!!!!

"Well Hello!"
"Oh great, a talking gecko!"
Old 04/27/2003, 6:32 AM
Sing: "Fanta! Fanta!"

Quote:
Originally posted by R&S Fan

I liked his impressions on the Rerun Show (he was the only memorable cast member on that show, just like Frank was the only good cast member on Hype), but I think he's good. I haven't all of of his sketches on Mad TV yet, so maybe he has been annoying in them. He's probably a better impressionist than a character actor. They should have him do impressions more often.

Why do people not like PAUL? I'm with you... I think he's great. Mrs. Garrett was a riot. The Honeymooners was perfect - exactly like Ralph. I hope he become a regular cast member so people can see how great and funny he is. (Ron, too! Love him. In fact, come to think of it... RON and PAUL were really good together! More RON and PAUL!) oh yeah
Old 04/27/2003, 8:50 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Paul annoyed me at first but he's slowly getting better. Last night's show went to prove this. He won't come back next year because they only need 1 funny fat guy on the show and Frank Caliendo plays those roles. I'm hoping for Ron, Josh and Christina next year!

Old 04/27/2003, 9:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
He won't come back next year because they only need 1 funny fat guy on the show
What makes you think this? Did they say this themselves? Besides, Frank mostly does impressions (and some of them are of thin people).

Old 04/27/2003, 9:28 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Well generally there's a formula for a MADtv cast...and even SNL cast now! There has to be a certain amount of people to play a certain race, size, gender. I guess for variety and to play any celebrity that comes along needing spoofing.

Straight male cast members: usually 2 (Kilbane, Herman)
Leading Lady: 1 (Mo, Mary)
Female Teen Hottie: 1 (Nicole, Christina)
Black guy: 1 (Aries, Orlando)
Funny Fat Guy: 1 (Artie, Frank)
Black Woman: 1 (Debra)
Extra guy: 1 (Nelson, Bobby or second black guy)
Extra different look woman: 1 (Alex, Stephnie)

This usually equals 8-10 people in total. So you see they try to keep these standards for variety purposes.

Last edited by Mad Dog; 04/28/2003 at 7:20 AM.
Old 04/28/2003, 2:10 AM
Regular

Quote:
Black guy: 1 (Artie, Frank)
Funny Fat Guy: 1 (Aries, Phil)
Uh, I think you got these mixed up. Artie and Frank aren't black, and Aries and Phil aren't fat (although you could argue that Aries sort-of is)