Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/16/2006, 3:05 PM
zlolz

Default Rank the Seasons of MADtv

I'm interested to see people's take on this. What you have to do is rank the seasons of MadTV from 1-11. You can include what we've seen of Season 12 if you want. So yeah, rank the 11 (or 12) seasons of MadTV from your favorite season to your least favorite season.

My rankings...

1. Season 4: This was the year MADtv really began to take off IMO. The first season wasn't really good IMO, and Seasons 2 and 3 were improvements, and I think Season 4 is when the show really started coming on to it's own. This season had a lot of great sketches in it. There was a LOT of Swan and Stuart that year, but it still had some great parodies and one-off sketches. I loved this season, definitley an A+ one for me. Grade: A+
2. Season 5: Another good year. This season arguably had the best cast and some of the best sketches EVER. A very strong year for MAD, but not S4 material IMO. Grade: A
3. Season 8: After 2 years of mediocre-ness (Season 6,7) Season 8 brought MadTV back with a vengence. It had that feel of Classic MadTV to it, even if it was a later year, and I also felt this was Stephnie Weir's strongest year. Stephnie really redeemed herself that year after being hated as a FP in S6 and hated as a cast member in S7. Ron and Paul were also strong feautured players that year. My only complaint about S8 was that the cast didn't really feel unified....it just felt like a bunch of people thrown together and forced to work together. b]Grade[/b]: A
4. Season 12: Some people may thing I'm crazy ranking S12 so high, but I really am enjoying this season so far. It has a few flaws (like the ___ Directs MADtv sketches), but so far, most of the sketches have been EXCELLENT. It has had some sh!t (just watch 1210!) but most of the stuff hasnt been TOO bad. I think every episode has had at least 1 AWESOME sketch (ok, besides 1210) and most have had 4-5 awesome sketches at the LEAST. The cast also feels more unified this year and its miles above the last 2 seasons (even though S11 wasnt too bad IMO, besides the the first 7 episodes...). It's also nice to see things like animation back. Like I said, this so far has been a season with a lot of brilliant and excellent stuff with occasional sucky crapfests mixed in. Grade: A-
5. Season 3: Season 3 was very strong. MADtv survived a MAJOR cast change (possibly the biggest cast change ever for the show) that year and made some excellent skits along with it. They tried a lot of new things this year and it had a fresh feeling to it. Also, Alex Borstein and Will Sasso proved to be strong new players. Grade: A-
6. Season 2: Even though they're always considered nearly identical and often put together, I think Season 2 was considerably stronger then Season 1. The reason I think this is that Season 2, IMO, is when MADtv started to become MADtv, and not just a crossover between SNL and MAD Magazine (which is basically what Season 1 was, IMO). Their recurring characters got stronger, the TV/Movie parodies became more sharp and better in general, and the show just seemed to take a lot more risks. I wasn't a Season 2 fan at first, but after seeing a few more episodes, i've begun to see what a great season it was. Grade: B+
7. Season 11: Season 11 had a horrible start and a good ending. The first half (mainly the first 7 or 8 episodes) was just terrible. Possibly, the worst time period EVER for MAD. Nicole Parker, Stephnie Weir, and Jordan Peele were all great, but man, some crap was produced that I don't know WEAR the producers got their ideas from. #1107 is in my bottom 3 episodes ever. However, Season 11 improved a LOT as it went on. I think the later half of Season 11 (mainly from 1112+) had a lot of unique, refreshing sketches that MAD had never tried before. In a way, I think the later half of Season 11 was kind of a preview for Season 12, because a lot of the ideas in that part of the season were carried over into S12, and in some cases, upgraded. While I'm not sure if i'd consider it a great season, it was pretty good, IMO (minus the beginning) and gets way too much crap (although people now are starting to reliaze it wasnt that bad afterall ). Grade: B
8. Season 10: I thought S10 was a decent, yet inconsistent, season. Even though it's hated by a lot of people, I didn't think it was that bad. I thought the show felt a little bit different in Season 10, not the sketches, but probably the outtros, alumni returns, and the fact they were celebrating 10 years. However, like I said, it was really inconsistent, and often you would go from a great episode, to a horrible one, to a mediocre one, to a good one. I didn't think the S10 cast was all that good as a whole (they weren't connected in the least bit) but indivudually, they were good. So yeah, I think Season 10 was decent. It definitley had a lot of crap (see: episodes 1003 and 1006), and the writing wasn't always that good, but I find myself enjoying a lot of the sketches from that year. Grade: C+
9. Season 6: Season 6 had a lot to live up to, following in the footsteps of Seasons 4-5. And it didn't even come close to living up to them, IMO. The premiere was great, and the next 2 episodes or so were just barely alright, but the rest was total crap. Not ALL of it, though..some really good skits were produced past that point, and there were some good episodes in the later part of the season (and some of the holdovers) but it was a weak year overall. Mo, Michael, Debra, and Nicole S were good, but even they weren't at their strongest that year. I also think of S6 as the downfall of Mrs. Swan, because that was when Mrs. Swan started sucking IMO...it was when the "Mrs. Swan ordering things/annoying the hell out of store workers" ended and it turned into confusing crap like "Mrs. Swan Meets her Father". But yeah...not a good year. Grade: C
10. Season 1: Like I said, I wasnt impressed with S1 of MAD. It had a great cast, but the writing left a lot to be desired. Some funny stuff was produced, but overall, Season 1 was nothing to write home about. I thought, basically, it was a crossover between SNL and MAD Magazine. The 1st episode of MADtv was good, and #115 was a GREAT episode, and some other episodes were good (I LOVED the S1 Christmas special), but it was a lot of mediocre-ness, and it was pretty inconsistent. Grade: C-
11. Season 9: Season 9 got off to a good start (besides having the worst season premiere ever...what a bad episode that was) but somewhere around 909 or 910, it got horrible. The cast was IMO, the worst cast ever. Mo was great, but only stuck around for about 10 episodes, and Stephnie was good, as well as Ron, Paul, Nicole, and maybe Daniele (Keegan and Jordan hadn't quite broken out of their shell yet), but everyone else = blech. I thought Season 9 had some of the worst episodes MAD ever saw (916, 920, 923) and the writing just wasn't all that good. I didn't think there were really many stand-out sketches, and most of the time, it was just...blah. It was a pretty boring and bland season. Grade: D+
12. Season 7: The story of Season 7 was a bad season with a few absolutley brilliant sketches mixed in with the horrificly bad. Mo was strong that year, as well as Michael, and Stephnie wasnt as bad as everyone made her out to be at the time (but it was her weakest year on the show, especially in comparison with her work in seasons 8-10). Alex was barely on with the exception of Swan encores, and Will had a terrible, terrible year. The thing with Season 7 is that some sketches were just pure amazing, but they were always surronded by stuff that was just absolutley awful. My least favorite season. It was just one mediocre episode after another. Granted, there was some light that shined through and we did get a few good episodes (717, 722), but most of the time, it was just really, really, bad. Grade: D

Last edited by Rurry; 03/25/2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old 11/16/2006, 5:16 PM
Bender: still great

I distinctly remember a thread similar to this, but eh, this will probably be merged to that one a few weeks in the future.

1. Season 5 - Awesome. What can I say? Every episode was damn near amazing. Granted, some episodes, although not bad by any means, were a tad weak (such as #517), but even the worst eps that season had at least ONE fantastic sketch. 10/10
2. Season 3 - I loved this season too. Not quite S5 quality but still damn good. All of the new castmembers were awesome, and the weakest one, Chris, was still decent IMO. Very creative writing, and all of the characters were fan-freakin-tastic. Some of the parodies could have used a little work, but otherwise they were strong, for the most part. 9.5/10
3. Season 4 - I'll be honest here...Mo wasn't THAT amazing to start out...she would improve a lot next year...of course, she still had some amazing impressions this year (ie. Cher), but she didn't become monumental until next year. Andrew Bowen was pretty good, but nothing special compared to the others. All in all, however, this was another winner. 9/10
4. Season 2 - I LOVE the early cast. Arguably the strongest cast ever, even more so than S5's cast. S2 I thought was a lot better than S1 because it had improved writing, great guest stars mostly, was less reliant on parodies than S1, and more reliant on creative one-offs, not to mention Cabana Chat and Antonia. 8.5/10
5. Season 8 - A huge improvement over Season 7, and even Season 6 as well. Stephnie truly stole the show this year...easily that year's star. The only truly weak link here was all that Ike/Josh crapola...especially Detention. Also Aries and Michael were starting to grow stale. Nonetheless, everyone else was quite strong, especially Mo and Debra. A female-dominated year, mostly. 7.5/10
6. Season 6 - I'm surprised so many people think this season was so awful...it wasn't THAT terrible, really. Sure, it did have its fair share of sh!t (ie. Put Down the Gun) but a lot of great stuff too (Pot Luck, The Vagina Monologues). Christian was just okay, but Nelson was pretty bad. Steph showed a lot of promise, too, but it wasn't quite her time to shine yet. 6.5/10
7. Season 1 - Great cast, not-so-great writing. It was also the first year, so MADtv hadn't really gotten on it's feet quite yet. However, the incredible talents of the likes of Nicole, David, Phil, and Mary really redeemed this season. 6/10
8. Season 7 - Yes, this was a pretty bad year, however it wasn't the worst. Will was sort of inconsistent here, sometimes excellent (Kenny Rogers), sometimes...not (Dubya). Andrew Daly didn't exactly help things, either. The writing was pretty bad a lot of the time, not to mention Stuart/Swan month...'nuff said. 4.5/10
9. Season 9 - Rurry said it all...great at first (except the season premiere...terrible), then greatly deteriorated in quality as time went on. Of course, Keegan, Ron, and Nicole were bright spots, and Stephnie still had it going strong, but the losses of Mo (mid-season) and Debra REALLY hurt this year. Way too many males this year...scratch that, way too many UNFUNNY males this year...and as we all know, MADtv is (mostly) dominated by female comedians. 4/10
10. Season 12 (so far) - So far, this season is really, REALLY inconsistent. In most episodes, half the skits are good to excellent, while the other half kind of suck. Nicole rocks, and Keegan and Ike have improved GREATLY since this time last year. The writing still isn't completely there yet, but the faster pace of the show and the animation (even if it isn't all that good) DO add variety. 4/10 I guess
11. Season 10 - Let's see...Nicole and Stephnie rocked here, and we had alumni month, so yay to that. Like Season 11, the first half of this season sucked ass (1001, 1002, 1004, and sort of 1005 notwithstanding), but got better as time went on. Neither Crista nor Spencer made much of an impact in my mind, either. 3.5/10
12. Season 11 - Three good things about this Season - Frank Caeti, Nicole Parker, and Nicole Randall Johnson. Oh, and the cast had gotten more involved with writing than ever before. But otherwise...blech. As Rurry said, the second half was far better than the first half (excluding Cragg and Stuart month). Bobby Lee and Arden Myrin really brought this season down IMO (Arden's getting better this year, though), and so did all of those Cragg bits near the end of the season to a lesser extent. The reason the final part was okay was because we got several decent one-offs (Neverending Conga Line, Rise and Shine, North Dakota), but otherwise... 3/10

Last edited by Cagnazzo; 11/18/2006 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Freudian Slips galore :|
Old 11/16/2006, 7:27 PM
Hardcore Fan

I remember this in another thread too, Twice if I remember correctly but maybe Rurry is doing because we wanted to see how Season 12 is holding out so far among the shows other seasons.
Old 11/16/2006, 8:26 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman2002 View Post
I remember this in another thread too, Twice if I remember correctly but maybe Rurry is doing because we wanted to see how Season 12 is holding out so far among the shows other seasons.
Not really, I didnt even include S12 in my rankings. I just wanted to see people's thoughts on the seasons cause i've seen a lot of different opinions.

And I apoligize if thsi is a duplicate, ive only been here for 3 weeks.

Old 11/16/2006, 9:24 PM
His senses were dimmed

Its not like the forums are plagued with overwhelming traffic, I don't think duplicates matter.

I'll rank them at some point...

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 11/17/2006, 10:12 AM

Well, this thread is different than the other one...this one is "Rank the Seasons" and the other one that MADfan2004 made was a more general "What do you think of the Seasons?", so I don't think it will be merged. I could be wrong, though.

Old 12/13/2006, 2:38 PM
just crazy

I just can't do this in a certain manner because:

1. I'm from Puerto Rico.
2. I just aquired cable again 3 months ago
3. The last time I watched Mad TV was on TNN (looooooooooooong time)

But......

...for me the best season of Mad TV is the one that had this cast:

Borstein
Collins
LaMarr
Sullivan
Wilson
McDonald
Kilbane
Sasso
Spears

& others

Don't know the #; if you please can say which is?

Oh and P.S. My bro is just getting to my nerves imitating Stuart

Trying to make my way into college...
Old 12/13/2006, 2:46 PM

Oh yeah, that's Season 5.

Old 12/13/2006, 5:25 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Season 5: Yeah, this is pretty much universally regarded as the best season of MADtv, and it really was. The cast was fantastic, and it had some of the most brilliant sketches of any sketch comedy (the "Swan: Homecoming" arc, Regis Philbin coming on saying he didn't want to do any Millionaire sketches, and everyone just bullsh!tting him and making him do one anyway, "Pretty White Kids with Problems," that sketch where Will, Pat, and Aries have sex with a transsexual prostiture [my favorite sketch of the season]). It was when MADtv had reached its peak--it felt like all of the first 4 seasons were building up to that season. I'm probably over exaggerating, but I felt it was just that good.

Tie: Season 3/ Season 4: I couldn't really decide which one I liked better, so there you go. Season 3 was when MAD really found itself. Unlike Seasons 1-2, which were essentially "Hey, this is MAD magazine on the TV!" Season 3 was TRULY MADtv--it perfectly balanced all the MAD magazine references with a little bit of it's own flavor. Even though David Herman bailed, it still had its strong points with and without him ("Leaving Metropolis," "Spishak Margarine").

Season 4 was also very strong, though it had its weaknesses. The Will Sasso/Bret Hart stuff was terrible, but it was still very well made.

Season 2: WAL*

Season 11: You know what? This season gets WAY too much sh!t. I enjoyed it immensely. After a slightly disappointing Season 10, Season 11 really turned it around. Bobby Lee finally became a cast member as opposed to being the Asian punching bag, and with Aries gone, Jordan rose above and showed how strong a cast member he really was. He really proved he was just as good as I believed he was way back in Season 9 when everyone hated him. It kinda sucked that Stephnie left midseason, but it was probably for the best, so as to let the newer cast members get more of the spotlight. Plus, the guest stars were actually UTILIZED this season (for example, Fred Willard's little bits were probably one of the best uses of a guest star in the history of the show. One problem I had, though, which ended up bleeding into Season 12, was that the writers seriously had a hard time grasping the concept of "Less is More" (Naked Bobby, that god-awful crap called "On the Download"). Plus, with the new set and the way guest stars had more screen time, it was very reminiscent of season 2, which is NOT a good season make, but it was nice to see.

Season 9: Even though it sort of took a dip in the last few episodes, it was a pretty good season.

I'll do the rest later, but I want to add my thoughts on...

Season 12: I'm not gonna rank it until its over, but so far, it has been exceptionally good. I'm liking the common themes that seem to be threading through the episodes (Social Commentary/Decapitation/Disability in 1205, Tom Cruise in 1207, Michael Richards/Racism in 1208). Granted, these only thread through 2, maybe three sketches, but I like it. I've love pretty much all the new additions to the show (the fake musical guests, "Weekly News with Toby," the return of animation [specifically "Celebrity Pets"]). The only one I haven't liked so far is "(Insert celebrity here) Directs MADtv." It has had it's fair share of crap (Flavor of Love, The Talking Magazine Cover skits, "The Crazy Life of Maury and Connie," Coach Hines). But it's FAR outweighed by the sheer brilliance ("The Making of Family Guy," OJ Simpson Interview, "Sesame Street: Myplace Molester," "Hooters," and all of the aforementioned additions to the show). The only true problem I have is that, much like Season 11, they don't understand the concept of "Less is More," which may lead to a problem later on in the season.

Old 12/14/2006, 1:17 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierOmar View Post
I just can't do this in a certain manner because:

1. I'm from Puerto Rico.
2. I just aquired cable again 3 months ago
3. The last time I watched Mad TV was on TNN (looooooooooooong time)

But......

...for me the best season of Mad TV is the one that had this cast:

Borstein
Collins
LaMarr
Sullivan
Wilson
McDonald
Kilbane
Sasso
Spears

& others

Don't know the #; if you please can say which is?

Oh and P.S. My bro is just getting to my nerves imitating Stuart
Sounds like Season 5 It could also be Season 4, though, too, but Season 4 had a few extra castmembers.

Anyway, if anyone cares (which no one does), i've added Season 12 to my rankings since we're (almost) 9 episodes in and when I made this thread, we were only about 4 episodes in. Of course, there's still a lot more of this season to come, so it always can change, but I think we've seen a pretty steady amount of quality this season so far.

Old 12/24/2006, 4:13 PM
Fresh Meat

k here's my ranking dudes.

1. Season 5 - the best season ever.
2. Season 6
3. Season 4
4. Season 3
5. Season 2
6. Season 8
7. Season 7
8. Season 1
9. Season 10
10. Season 9
11. Season 11 - this season was soooooooooooo bad.
Old 12/29/2006, 8:59 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

I'm not going to write ten zillion paragraphs on why I'm ranking the seasons in the following manner...*thunderous applause from forum members who know what I'm capable of when I get going.* However, here's how I'd rank 'em:

Ain't seen none o' S12; cain't rank it yet.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/01/2007, 5:50 PM
zlolz

*cough*

I've made some changes to my list, because my opinions have changed a bit. Go look!

Old 03/09/2007, 7:11 PM
Still the best!

Here are my rankings:

1. Season 3- Excellent, flawless, perfect. I loved this season!
2. Season 2- Another great one.
3. Season 4 - Very good.
4. Season 1- Also very good.
5. Season 5- A good season, not as good as the first 4 but still good.
6. Season 12 - Impressive, especially for a later season.
7. Season 8 - A nice, refreshing season that tried some new material.
8. Season 6 - Not too bad overall but a noticable drop in quality from the first few years. But it had a lot of hilarious moments.
9. Season 11 - Better then 9 and 10, but still missing something. Decent.
10. Season 7 - A forgettable, boring season.
11. Season 10 - Just a really mediocre season, not many stand-out moments or episodes.
12. Season 9 - Awful, used the same joke over and over in each sketch, so boring.

In my opinion nothing beats the first 4 seasons, but other seasons have still come close and been impressive overall (5, 8, 12). The only horrible years were Seasons 9 and 10 IMO.
Old 03/09/2007, 7:17 PM

Don't forget to post in one of my various "Rate the Cast" threads either, Moelle.

Old 05/22/2007, 2:15 PM
zlolz

Now that Season 12 is done...I've re-ranked the seasons. BUT in a new way!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Seasons
12 (KISS MY ASS post-Season 5 haters )

Great Seasons

Good Seasons

"Meh" Seasons

Suck-tacular Seasons

Old 05/22/2007, 8:45 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

'Kay, now that the best season ever has finally come to a close, I'll rank 'em again:

IMO, S8 and S12 are almost tied in quality; for me, the difference between the two seasons comes down to cast preference. And yes, S6 is now officially above S8. Anyone who thinks I inverted the rankings simply b/c S6 is a Nicole Sullivan season can eat it. You'd be right, but you can still eat it.

"We can dig it!"
Old 06/18/2007, 6:56 PM
Hardcore Fan

Cause I have nothing better to do:

Season 1-2 Era The Dark Age

These seasons to me are a) very different from the style of comedy that MadTV would later develop b) very much like In Living Color in terms of sketches, etc.

The Good: Nicole Sullivan develops recurring characters such as the Vancome Lady and Antonia, Orlando Jones makes classic "OJ Simpson Trial Bloopers" parody, movie parodies include "The Greatest Action Story Ever", and Debra Wilson begins reprising her recurring impressions of Whitney Houston and Oprah Winfrey.

The Bad: Several Castmembers unexpectedly depart after Season 2. Writing is not up to current standards during early years...

The Ugly: Several feuds between cast-members, Artie Lange's off-stage problems...

Season 3-5 Era: The Golden Years

The Good: MadTV experiences peak years, cast members include Nicole Sullivan, Alex Borstein, Will Sasso, Mike McDonald, Debra Wilson & Mo Collins. New recurring characters such as Stuart, Lorraine, Miss Swan, Bunifa... More Whitney & Oprah from Debra... Writing is at its best.

The Bad: Several cast members are allowed to depart (or fired) without so much as a thanks for the memories call...

The Ugly: Bret Hart & Will Sasso incident.

The Forgettable Era: Seasons 6-11

The Good: Michael McDonald, Mo Collins, Stephnie Weir (sometimes), Debra Wilson (sometimes), and Nicole Parker (post S10)....

The Bad: The rest of the cast, the writing, S6-S7 entirely...

The Ugly: Debra Wilson's departure from MadTV, Aries Spears being allowed to stay past his welcome.

The Renaissance Period: Season 12

The Good: Strong writing, a united cast, breakout years from Arden Myrin, Frank Caeti, Crista Flanagan, Keegan-Michael Key. Strong performances from Barinholtz & Lee, Nicole RJ, Jordan Peele. Excellent, MVP-worthy performances from McDonald & Parker. Excellent one-off skits such as the Girls' Soccer Team Award, Mechanical Hands... New recurring characters such as Adam, King Henry... Wonderful, spot-on impressions from Peele & Parker. Great music videos.

The bad: Can't really say.

The ugly: Bobby Lee half-naked (just joking).
Old 06/18/2007, 6:59 PM
zlolz

^Once again, I agree with most of your views. I wouldn't be TOO harsh on Season 6-11 though, I thought Season 6 was bad, Season 7 was horrendous, Season 8 was very good, Season 9 was very bad, Season 10 was average, and Season 11 was pretty good.

Old 06/18/2007, 7:41 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
^Once again, I agree with most of your views. I wouldn't be TOO harsh on Season 6-11 though, I thought Season 6 was bad, Season 7 was horrendous, Season 8 was very good, Season 9 was very bad, Season 10 was average, and Season 11 was pretty good.
It could be argued that 8 wasn't bad at all- in comparison to the ones before it, it wasn't. But the season that I think most people seem to overrate is S11.

Season 11 was horrendous IMO. The newcomers (especially Crista and Arden) were unwatchable, I thought that Keegan, Frank Caeti, Mike McDonald, Danielle Gaither, Frank Caliendo, Ike, Bobby were pretty mediocre, while Jordan, Stephnie and Nicole were the only ones who produced funny stuff most of the time.

I think that the Flashlight sketch was then, though. But seriously, it could be said that whether they matured or the writing got better; every single cast member dramatically improved in S12 (except for arguably Jordan who I felt slightly disappointed in).