Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/08/2003, 11:22 PM
Regular

Mad was so weird tonight. What the hell was that?

Old 03/08/2003, 11:34 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Dammit... Why the hell do people in the Pacific Time Zone get to see MADtv last? I mean, they even tape it in Hollywood, and I can see the Hollywood sign right outside my window... What were the names of the sketches?

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 03/08/2003, 11:55 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I didn't like this episode much, except for the party with Saddam. That was kinda funny, given the political bs going on in the world now. And was that sketch with Andrew Daly an encore from season 7? I don't recall seeing an encore tag, maybe they thought people wouldn't notice. I also can't recall that sketch either.

Old 03/08/2003, 11:58 PM
Regular

Oh yeah, where was the GTAVC thing?
Old 03/09/2003, 12:04 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb: This video was stupid. Bobby's impression is okay but I've never heard this song or seen th video. They do too many of these and they only do rap or r&b videos, never rock ones. 2/5

CSI: This was a fairly decent parody, nothing special and generated around the same type of joke. Something you'd see from earlier seasons. 4/5

Angela: This was funny but dragged out way too long so it wasn't as sharp. Still a great character and very funny. 3.5/5

Queen Of Queens: This parody was too stupid. Frank put on a good impression but the premise was too simple and boring. I was also waiting for a Nicole-impersonator to walk in but it never happened. 1/5

Jump Rope #5: Amusing, just as good as the other ones, neat idea I guess. 3/5

Commercials: This I thought was good and bad. Aries was a little weak but Ron was fabulous as usual and stole the sketch. 4/5

Saddam's Party: This was pretty fun. There wasn't much plot to it (beginning, middle, end) and only Ron's and Bobby's impressions were strong (Ike was terrible) It was still enjoyable, something you'd see on Air Farce. 3/5

Bush Family Fitness: This was okay. It wasn't anything special except taking two impressions and throwing them into something unusual. Frank's impression is only okay but for some reason it's the best compared to Will Sasso's, Christian's, Chris Parnell's and Will Ferrel's. Bush isn't easy to do and at least it wasn't annoying and the voice was close. 3/5

Birdsitter: This was possibly one of the worst sketches of season 7, Rob said so himself. I think they only put this in to remind us that MADtv has made an improvement to help keep viewers. Seeing Andrew daly again wasn't pleasing. 1/5

Dating Your Mom: This was terrible. Josh and Ike's sketches are not funny, it's just a little story with a small comic twist. Josh was okay in this but it proves Ike cannot act and is just annoying, not funny. Why these two were allowed to do this still baffles me. i enjoyed the birdsitter sketch better than this. 1/5

t.A.t.U. Performance: In this lip-syncing spectacle, one of the girls knocks over her microphone stand, moves the microphone away from her mouth but the words are strangly still sung. THis was hilarious and easily the best sketch of the night. Great make-up job too, couldn't tell which one was Mo and which one was Stephnie. 5/5

Close/ Jump Rope #6: This was as good as the 5th one. 3/5

Overall: This episode was a little disapointing, almost as bad as the last "tribute to music" one. No sketches except CSI and Ron Pederson's performaces really stood out. Other than that, there were some okay appearances here and there but it reminded me of season 6 or 7 too much. Maybe because the ENCORE was from then (with Andrew Daly) and a terrible music performance plus 2 Jump Rope sketches, and the featured players dominated the episode including another horrible Josh and Ike originale! Another observation was that the efforts of the main cast were weak. lastly, Debra Wilson was completely absent from this episode once again which makes you wonder if she's pulling another Nicole, Phil or Alex??? The cast was down to 6 people with mainly featured players starring in everything (Ron I'm not complaining about) Overall, likely the second worst episode of the season. 5/10.

Last edited by Mad Dog; 03/09/2003 at 2:35 PM.
Old 03/09/2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I think it was mentioned in one of those "jump rope" segments, they mentioned Grand Theft Auto... I never did like those segments...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vancome Guy
Oh yeah, where was the GTAVC thing?

Old 03/09/2003, 8:29 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Bomb, Bomb, Bomb: This video was stupid. Bobby's impression is okay but I've never heard this song or seen th video. They do too many of these and they only do rap or r&b videos, never rock ones. 2/5
I thought the video was okay, just not very good. I agree that they do too many rap and R&B videos.

Quote:
CSI: This was a fairly decent parody, nothing special and generated around the same type of joke. Something you'd see from earlier seasons. 3.5/5
I thought CSI was great. Especially Mo's impression of Marg's character...she was perfect. I liked everything about this parody.

Quote:
Angela: This was funny but dragged out way too long so it wasn't as sharp.
I disagree. I could've kept watching that one for another 5 minutes. In fact, I was hoping the 'closing' would be of her still waiting out on the porch in the rain, kissing the railing or something. But we got the jump-ropers instead.

Quote:
Queen Of Queens: This parody was too stupid. Frank put on a good impression but the premise was too simple and boring. 1/5
Have to agree here. Although, I didn't think it was TOO bad. I wish they had done a real KoQ parody though, like the CSI one. And yeah, Frank did a great Jerry Stiller impression!

Quote:
Originally posted by HiVolt
I think it was mentioned in one of those "jump rope" segments, they mentioned Grand Theft Auto... I never did like those segments...
I never did either. I thought I was the only one.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/09/2003, 10:32 AM
Regular

Default t.A.T.u. Performance

Is it just me, or did those t.A.T.u. girls lip sync their entire performance of "All The Things She Said"?

I swear, their "live" performance of that song sounded suspiciously similar to the recorded version!

BTW, I'm new here. Do you guys know how I could go about changing my username from Ashe to Jericho?

I'm a big WWE fan, so I'd like to change my username to Jericho. Can anyone help me?

Old 03/09/2003, 10:35 AM
Regular

Quote:
Yeah they did but last week i saw a preview of a sketch where grand theft auto was a gamed show and Stephanie came out with a bat and blood on her shirt
Old 03/09/2003, 11:18 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Oh, that certainly wasn't in the episode. Maybe next week.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vancome Guy

Yeah they did but last week i saw a preview of a sketch where grand theft auto was a gamed show and Stephanie came out with a bat and blood on her shirt

Old 03/09/2003, 11:22 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: t.A.T.u. Performance

It was lip sync'd, it was so obvious. That performance sucked, i couldnt even understand what these lezzies were singin'. Its one of those 15 minutes of fame groups, they'll be forgotten in no time.

And as for changing your user name, I don't think there's an easy way, I looked thru the options in the forum and I don't see an option. Since your new, why not just re-register under a new name. Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashe
Is it just me, or did those t.A.T.u. girls lip sync their entire performance of "All The Things She Said"?

I swear, their "live" performance of that song sounded suspiciously similar to the recorded version!

BTW, I'm new here. Do you guys know how I could go about changing my username from Ashe to Jericho?

I'm a big WWE fan, so I'd like to change my username to Jericho. Can anyone help me?

Old 03/09/2003, 12:04 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Now I know what TATU does in their spare time! Heh, they were lip syncing, but looks like the singers kissed and made up...

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Im in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As were laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 03/09/2003, 2:12 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Did anyone notice that the butch-lesbo knocked over her microphone stand and she had to take the microphone away from her mouth to move it but the singing (from 2 voices) kept playing. Very suspicious.

Old 03/09/2003, 2:28 PM
Totally F****able

the angela sketch was really the only hilarious thing I saw in last nights episode. The KoQ parody and the one where michael killed the bird then everyone else was funny, although that sketch got dull towards the end, the rest of it was so so(I didn't get the whole CSI deal, prolly cuz I don't watch the show itself) and the politcal parodies were completely dull and boring and way too long.
That plus being treated *rolls eyes* to yet another frat boy mentality sketch from Ike.....although Josh was funny the idea was just lame and pointless.

I'd give the episode as a whole a 6/10.

Hopefully judging by next weeks previews it will be better.
Old 03/09/2003, 2:38 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Okay, I finished my review. You'll like what i wrote about the music performance

Sadly everyone, Debra Wilson was completely absent from this show AGAIN which makes me believe she's the next Nicole/Alex/Phil to do this.

Hey Ashe, I noticed you're also from the GTA. What part??? Welcome to the board by the way, please feel free to be a posting maniac, we love new opinions. Here's a quickie newbie survey: Age? Gender? Sexual Orientation?

Last edited by Mad Dog; 03/09/2003 at 3:12 PM.
Old 03/09/2003, 3:24 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I seriously doubt this is a sign that Debra is leaving, for two reasons:

1.) It's far too late in the season. Alex and Phil appeared regularly in the first few episodes, and then had really small roles for the rest of the first half, and were basically absent from the second half. Nicole just basically always had a really small role for her last two seasons.

2.) Debra's appeared way too much this season. Up until the the last couple episodes she appeared more often than anyone else - this was basically the complete opposite for Alex, Phil, and Nicole. The last episode, there were only 5 new cast member sketches, and she wouldn't fit in any of the roles AT ALL except for maybe as the woman in the Stuart sketch. They probably just barely had any sketches with Debra in them on hand when they compiled this episode, because of how many of them they used before.

3.) Debra's still too involved with the show. Unlike the rest of the cast members, she still does stuff for the website - like that hooker boots thing, the behind-the-scenes stuff.

The only one I can see leaving right now is Aries because his role is usually quite small, although he actually got a pretty big handful of roles in the last episode.

The only one who was absent from this taping, it seems to me, is Stephnie. The only time she appeared was in the Angela one, and we just had an Angela one last episode, so they probably had to include it in this one cuz she would be otherwise absent, and she's too popular with the fans and stands out too much, that it would be pretty obvious she wasn't there.
It's hard to tell this season though, because in the past you could always tell who was absent from the taped episode because they wouldn't appear in the stage closing at the end - that's why Nicole only managed to tape in about 2/3 of the episodes but only "missed" five in season six.
Old 03/09/2003, 3:28 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Yeah Debra needs to take a break once inawhile, you need to take a chill pill Mad Dog.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Im in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As were laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 03/09/2003, 3:58 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I don't have time today to submit my official review like I usually do, so I'm going to have to give a quick overview 'til either later tonight (if possible) or tomorrow.

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb: Bobby's impression was really good, but that's about it. The satire wasn't that great, and I'm really tired of lame 9/11-terrorism material. Aries wasn't bad but his impression is yet another generic one that is no different from his others. Not great, not bad either, just okay.

CSI: I liked this very much! Especially Mo's character! Frank was excellent too. Everybody here gave good performances. Top-notch.

Angela: Only Stephnie could pull this off, and she did it excellently. Mo and Michael were pretty good too in their supporting roles - these three always work well together. Not as sharp as most of the Angela sketches, but the performances especially the way Angela was so horny was funny, so it is pretty good. I love this character, I was kind of disappointed that we saw her so soon after the last one, meaning none til the next season probably, but it was probably included because it was Stephnie's only appearance.

Queen Of Queens: Simple and sweet. Good performances from everyone, and I liked Frank's Stiller impression. There wasn't much thought put into it, but it was short and made its point, so I really liked it.

Jump Rope #5: This is probably the best of the Double Dutch segments, the dialogue really spoofed Grand Theft Auto well, but you probably wouldn't find it funny at all if you're not familiar with the game at all. I don't think these sketches can carry on much longer though, but this was still really good.

Commercials: A very mixed bag. Aries for once actually changed his voice a little bit, but it sounded too similar to his Wayne Brady one, and it just wasn't that funny. The Irish one, although Ron was good, was bad because I simply couldn't understand what he was saying and none of the humor was understood. The Italian one was very funny, solely because of Mo and Ron's superb performances. The Japanese one was also really funny. The Indian one too stupid. So the good and the bad cancel each other out and make for an okay sketch.

Saddam's Party: More 9/11-terrorist material? Blah. The performances were really good from everybody though, especially Josh and Michael. So it was watchable.

Bush Family Fitness: Another very mixed bag. The writing was pretty bad, but it's not a bad sketch because of Mo and Frank's performances. The impressions, especially Frank's (the best Bush impression I've seen yet) are hilarious! Mo and Frank always work very well together, I wish they would more often, but unfortunately it doesn't because Frank seems to never be around which is disappointing. Anyway, bad material with good performances. It again cancels out.

ENCORE - Murderer (#714): Stephnie was very good in her small role, but that's the only positive aspect of this sketch AT ALL, well the beginning with the bird being thrown down made me chuckle but other than that. The premise was too random and amateurish, and everybody here except Stephnie was just annoying. This comprises of that big group of season seven one-off sketches with incredibly stupid premises (along with sketches like Angry-Boss-That-is-Nice-When-Kicked and Fendernagle Enterprises). Some pretty bad stuff.

Dating Your Mom: This was a lot better than the Detention one. The writing was still pretty amateurish, but it was sharper than the very weak previous one. Ike wasn't super-annoying like last time but was still only okay, Josh was pretty good. But I think the joke was rammed in a little too much and it was too long. But it's still okay.

t.A.t.U. Performance: This was a parody in itself! I can't believe MAD let these two make complete fools of themselves! They were so obviously lip-syncing, unless their voice just "naturally" echoes. The song was stupid, the fake lesbian action was pathetic. But I laughed hysterically during this! Actually, this made me laugh more than any of the real sketches did! This is probably my favorite musical performance this season simply because it really kept my attention. I'm hoping that MAD hired them simply because it was really funny, not seriously.

Close/ Jump Rope #6: This was allright. Not as good as the GTA one, but certainly not bad. These sketches are more clever than funny I suppose.

Overall - The writing here was at its worst in a long time, but the cast put in top-notch performances to save it from being a bad episode. It's not a good sign if the musical performance was funnier than anything else, but then again, it was so pathetic you just couldn't help cracking up. A huge minus to this episode is that Stephnie (other than the Angela sketch which was shown earlier than planned) and Debra were absent, and being one of the better cast members this season, that was really disappointing. But, on the plus side, Frank was actually given a few appearances and did an excellent job; Mo, Michael, and Bobby (who gets better every week) dominated the episode and were all very good, especially Mo. Aries dominated the episode as well, which is rare for this season, and proved in the CSI parody that he's still great in non-impression roles, but otherwise he was still dull (notice his other roles were just his impressions). I'm tired of all the political satire though, it's almost always not very good. Anyway, this was yet another watchable episode. I think it's safe to say that season eight has lost the huge fun-and-sharp factors that it had at the start of the season, I think the departure of a regular (Jill) has left a gaping hole in the cast and it's too small for the show to really succeed. But, at least it's pretty stable, not excellent but not bad either. Like many sketches here, this episode on the whole was a very mixed bag. 7/10

Last edited by koolboee cdmo87; 03/09/2003 at 7:48 PM.
View Post Old 03/09/2003, 4:25 PM
Mel
This message is hidden because Mel was banned from the site.
Old 03/09/2003, 5:03 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
Commercials: A very mixed bag. Aries for once actually changed his voice a little bit, but it sounded too similar to his Wayne Brady one, and it just wasn't that funny. The Irish one, although Ron was good, was bad because I simply couldn't understand what he was saying and none of the humor was understood. The Italian one was very funny, solely because of Mo and Ron's superb performances. The Japanese one was also really funny. The Indian one too stupid. So the good and the bad cancel each other out and make for an okay sketch.
You really have to see these TV specials to understand what they're making fun of. Usually the commercials are just like these; a bunch of gibberish that English-speaking people can't understand anyway then a product is shown that has nothing to do with the rest of the ad. The sketch in general looked very authentic in camera quality etc...