Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/12/2008, 7:56 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

Default Breaking Into Mainstream?

Okay so I have been wondering about this question for a while now. We are all MADtv fans here (why else would we be here ), so we understand the greatness of the show.

But what puzzles me is why MADtv can't seem to break into the mainstream. When Keegan (probably the best Obama impersonator alive) impersonates a presidential candidate Senator Barrack Obama, no news came out of it.

However, when Tina Fey (another great impersonator) impersonates Sarah Palin, a vice-presidential candidate, the media world goes crazy and buzzes about it.

My question is this: Despite all the great things that come out of MADtv, why can't the show seem to break into mainstream?

Old 10/12/2008, 8:24 AM
Fresh Meat

I'm not sure if I can come up with a decent explanation. It's unfortunate, for certain. I'm guessing the history of SNL (starting in 1975) is a bonus. You had a lot of famous characters back then, and the show generated quite a media buzz. MADtv (1995) started off more edgy, if you will, and broke into the sketch comedy show genre where SNL was already present.
Old 10/12/2008, 10:22 AM
Hardcore Fan

another thing to note is that MADtv has significantly lower ratings than SNL. It also might have to do with some of the vulgarity of MADtv's sketches.
Old 10/12/2008, 11:25 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

But it has been 14 years, surely someone does take note of 'the little show that could'? I mean, the only sketch show able to stand up to SNL is MADtv, no?

Old 10/12/2008, 12:35 PM
Fresh Meat

I agree.

MADtv pushed the limits in terms of edgy content, as blue_light_888 said. That has an effect on the viewer base, contrasted with (the more tame) SNL, which was already a well-known sketch show. MADtv is the new kid on the block who dares to compete with SNL. MADtv is truly the "little show that could."

Just a few minutes ago I was at Best Buy, and I walked past the movie collections. I saw a large array of SNL dvds, but I couldn't find the MADtv season one. It never sold well (a shame), and it made me think of this conversation.
Old 10/12/2008, 1:25 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I think why SNL gets more attention is because they are directed to an older audience. They are directed to the people who are usually home on a Saturday night. Like people in there late 30's, and forth. MAD target audience is the teen to late 20 demographic, who are most likely out doing stuff at the time, more likely then the SNL audience. This would also explain why SNL gets more ratings.

Occasionally something gets through like the So you Think you can Dance: Presidential Edition but most doesn't because MAD is generated to the more cooler crowd, while SNL is geared towards the stay at home older class.
I do agree that it is not fair (and though Tina Fey looks like Sarah Palin, she doesn't have the voice, and overacts the part in my opinion), but that is the card we have been dealt.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)
Old 10/13/2008, 7:29 AM
Flan-Boy Extraordinaire

I think it absolutely sucks that MADtv could possibly end soon with all the stupid budget cuts but not many people cares. What the hell, man? If it was SNL ending (if that's even possible), the media world will go into a frenzy, and the world will probably hold a 'Save SNL' Campaign.

Damn.