Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1316?
Eric Violette: "The Credit Card Song" 0 0%
Dr. Phil: The Spears Family 6 18.75%
Spin Up! 0 0%
24 with Bobby Lee: Dave Navarro 1 3.13%
Fave 5: Oprah Winfrey 1 3.13%
Coach Hines: Paintball Massacre 3 9.38%
Fave 5: Simon Cowell 0 0%
Castmate Elimination Show 1 3.13%
Grand Theft Auto - The Board Game 1 3.13%
Sesame Street: Economic Depression 11 34.38%
Fave 5: Beyonce Knowles 0 0%
Luann Lockhart: The Return 8 25.00%
Commercial: Feed the Babies 0 0%
Closing: Keegan & Cast/Coach Hines Outtakes 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05/17/2008, 10:17 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Tee hee. Here's me during the second half of the episode:

Anyway, I think I'll reserve judgment on this one until I'm in a better mood. Thanks to a certain someone (hint: her name is "Crista"), I'm getting there.

For the last time this season, poll is up, rate the thread, submit your full reviews, and all the usual jazz.

Lurkers: Register an account and join in on the discussion!

Old 05/17/2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Some random bullet points:
  • Poll updated. Thanks for the tip, G. Further updates to follow throughout the night.
  • For all known information on Bobby's departure, see here and here.
  • The long-awaited name of Crista's Sesame Street character has been added to all pertinent threads.
P.S.: Suck it, MADoz!

Old 05/18/2008, 1:23 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
P.S.: Suck it, MADoz!
suck it? what for? you got what you wanted - and i got some of what i wanted.

in another thread i listed what i wanted to see in the remaining episdoes of the season. And of those, i got:

inside looking out
another oprah appearance
luann lockhart

and as a bonus - sesame street!

i'm happy. SO should you be

where is the love?

EDIT:

in fact, here is my original list:

at least one oprah sketch
luanne lockhart
wendy walker
LILLIAN VERNER GAME SHOW
inside looking out
disney girl
stuart
special patrick
stephnie weir guest starring
more music vids with Nicole
dr phil
crafty girls
dan doing 'american jerk'

so, i got 2 oprah appearances, inside looking out, dr phil and luann lockhart!

But i am dissappointed that we got no stuart or lillian verner! not a good sign. I hope both of these are brought back early next season (with Mo!)
Old 05/18/2008, 1:45 AM
Administrator

Oh, that was just a friendly little jab at your dismissal of my Sesame Street suggestion due to lack of feasibility. Dare to dream, man!

Old 05/18/2008, 2:01 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
MADoz
But i am dissappointed that we got no stuart or lillian verner! not a good sign. I hope both of these are brought back early next season (with Mo!)
MADoz, they will never do another lillian verner sketch. The guy who played Simian (Michael Hitchcock) left the show last season (season 12). Without him there is no sketch.
Old 05/18/2008, 4:52 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
MADoz, they will never do another lillian verner sketch. The guy who played Simian (Michael Hitchcock) left the show last season (season 12). Without him there is no sketch.
Really...that's interesting. It seems no one at the MADtv production office knows that....he's still listed in the closing credits as both a writer and co-executive producer!

(I think you may be thinking of someone else )

MADoz
Old 05/18/2008, 7:35 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If Michael Hitchcock truly left the show after Season 12, he would not be listed in any of the credits for any of the Season 13 episodes. Lillian Verner can still be recurred using characters that the recent cast members portray. Oh by the way BW, I believe Crista's Sesame Street character name was revealed way before last night's sketch; I think it might have been in either a S11 or S12 sketch.

Old 05/18/2008, 8:20 AM
Obsessed!

wow......no Stuart all season....not going to lie I don't like that.....I don't like that at all.

I enjoyed seeing Sesame Street and Luanne....they were good. I guess this new format still doesn't do anything for me. The entire cast is great, I wish I would of saw more Nicole this episode. Could you of imagined if this was her last episode, she would of been screwed. But I loved this season's cast. I still think that NRJ and Danielle should still be part of this cast, and that Lisa Donavon would of been great with this format that they are now doing, but it was a good cast. Crista and Nicole rocked this season, they totally get the MVP award for it. We should have a season 13 showdown, we haven't done one of those in a long while. I think Dan will be an excellent member to this cast and I hope him and Daheli get promoted to main cast members.

Next Season:
Old Theme Song
Old Format
More Characters: Did good toward the end with this, but we didn't see a lot of characters at all this season, like Stuart, Disney Girl, Wendy Walker, etc.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 05/18/2008, 2:12 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna give... my first full review since Season 12!

The Credit Card Song: I missed the beginning of this, but what I did see was pretty good. I see those credit card commercials all the time, and they are so ripe for parody. 3.5/5
Dr. Phil: The Spears Family: This was pretty good as well, and the set was well built, but that stupid little circle in the middle of the stage ruined the whole feel, and it takes you out of the fact that it's supposed to be the Dr. Phil Show, and it puts you right back in the mindset that they're doing this on the stage. If they stick with the Music Box next season, I hope they can move the sets to the other side of the stage (like Johnny Gan last week) or at least get a theater that doesn't have that ugly ass globe in the middle.
3.5/5.
Spin Up: This was actually surprisingly good. These dancing movies are also very ripe for parody, and the sign spinners were a good way to go with that. 4/5.
24 with Bobby Lee: It had its moments. I liked the bit with the blind girl at the end. MADtv should do more gangbang jokes. 3/5.
Fave 5: I didn't particularly care for any of these, though the end of the Beyonce one was pretty funny. 2.5/5.
Coach Hines: Paintball Massacre: It's nice to get a REAL Coach Hines sketch, and not a shitty one on the stage like in 1308. Much like 24 with Bobby Lee, it had its moments, but it went on a bit too long. 3/5.
Castmate Elimination Show: I really liked this one. I thought it was going to be an actual sendoff for Bobby, and I loved how his "montage" was just a video of him eating. 4.5/5.
Grand Theft Auto: The Board Game: It was OK, but I didn't like this one as much as I thought I would. 3/5.
Sesame Street: Economic Depression: I can't believe they actually did another Sesame Street sketch. I wasn't expecting that one. This is a sketch that definitely could have been done on the stage rather than on location, but I understand why they did it--because they weren't actually on Sesame Street. Still, the lip syncing just felt like it wasn't the same. Still, much like all the Sesame Street sketches, it was cleverly written and very well done. 5/5.
Luann Lockhart: I don't understand this character. At all. What's the point? Why does she exist? It's a very one-note character. However, it was one that would work well on the stage without having to add any sets or props, so I can understand why they went with her. This one, though, was pretty decent. I liked the Mexican who peed on her joke. 3/5.
Feed the Babies: Wasn't too bad, but I didn't really like it. 2/5
Close: Come on, Keegan! This was the ending to the rockiest season in MADtv history, and that's all you had to say? You could've done better than that. Though he said, "See you in September," which showed they must have known they were coming back when they shot this, so that brought a glimmer of hope to my eye. The Coach Hines outtakes were pretty good though. N/A.

Final Thoughts: And so, we come to the end of another MADtv season, the rockiest, most bumpy one yet. For all the problems they had this year, I feel the last five episodes were really able to show that this show recognized its earlier problems and was trying to make an effort to remedy them. Though, I'm still shocked that we didn't get a single new Stuart sketch this year, not even one where he's just running around the stage.

As far as the finale, it was a solid way to go out. There were a few weak links, but nothing that was unbearably awful, as opposed to 1315, where EVERYTHING was unbearably awful. So, yeah, good way to end a not so good season.

Old 05/19/2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
Oh by the way BW, I believe Crista's Sesame Street character name was revealed way before last night's sketch; I think it might have been in either a S11 or S12 sketch.
One would certainly assume so, but in the past, even when Gordon was specifically speaking to Sally, he always addressed her as "kids". I've watched all five sketches multiple times since Saturday night, and this is definitely the first time her name was mentioned.

Anyway, keep the full reviews coming! If we hit 15 or more this week, I'll reveal a special surprise!

P.S.: The time has come for the customary onslaught of post-season threads. MADfan was kind enough to start us off yesterday, but there are still plenty of topics going undiscussed. Let's rectify that.

P.P.S.: We need someone to spearhead this year's MAD Awards. If you feel you're up to the task, drop me a PM!

Old 05/19/2008, 7:30 PM
Fresh Meat

Default A Revi-eew (No? It didn't work?)

Well, I'll just post a review so I can see Blackwind's surprise:

Eric Violette Credit Card Song: It cleverly pointed out that teens should not have credit cards. I didn't have a clue about what it was parodying, but it was good to see Dan doing something else. There's so many A-list stars that he could have made an impression of, though.

Dr. Phil: The Spears Family: Yes! It had to be done since Michael does a very good Dr. Phil, and Nicole impersonates Britney most of the time. Somehow, her new hair made her look LESS like Britney this time. It was funniest when Britney sang some of her words.

Spin Up!: Kinda stupid, but a good parody of all those "Step Up"-type movies. Why was Daheli a crackwhore?

24 with Bobby Lee: The two funniest things in this was the fact that Dave was invited to do Scrapbooking with Bobby and he etched "Wake Up" on Bobby's ass. One star for each laugh.

The Fave 5s: Actually, for filler material, it didn't seem filler this time around. Each one was funny the 15 seconds that it aired. It would have been nice for Daheli to do those impressions in person, though.

Coach Hines: Yeah, not the skit I expected as it was OUTSIDE. I went to coachhinesrants.com (a place to view Coach Hines skits when your youtube is on the fritz) and the sketches worked really well when they were inside the school setting. This entire sketch would have been hilarious had it been on the "stage-studio".

Castmate Elimination: So IS Bobby gonna stay on the show? This sketch was very cryptic in that regard. Nicole as Paula was so funny and Simon's insults weren't clever enough like they usually are. Bobby's contribution to MAD TV was sitting and eating? Ha ha.

GTA:the Boardgame: Bored-game, indeed.

Sesame Street: Everyone on Planet Mad TV seems to like this one so I will just say that I thought Cookie Monster was funny and it's funny what he said about free universal health care when I had just watched Michael Moore's "Sicko" a few hours before, eerie.

Luann Lockheart: The joke about the Mexican guy peeing on her and giving her a rose was funny. Also, when that guy said he was Russian and she avoided him was so funny.

Overall: There were some funny moments on the season finale but nothing made me howl with laughter until I switched over to SNL. It would be sad if Bobby didn't come back to MAD TV since he seemed to be pretty involved with the show and making people laugh. A Stuart sketch would have been nice since it probably would have been the best sketch of the episode.
Old 05/20/2008, 5:08 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Eric Violette Credit Card Song: Not particularly clever, not particularly funny. Particularly average.

Dr. Phil: The Spears Family: I am so over Nicole Parker as Britney Spears. Seriously. It's just obnoxious now. Michael as Dr. Phil in the past has been okay, but now its just played out. The set looked fucking awful as well.

Spin Up!: Pretty dumb. Not that funny either.

24 with Bobby Lee: Another segment that should have been retired years ago. I actually really like Dave Navarro, but shyeah.

The Fave 5s: Didn't see the Beyonce one for some reason. The other two were pointless.

Coach Hines: First halfway decent sketch of the episode. Not as great as the Season 12 outings of this character, but at this stage, I will take what I can get. Liked Jordan as LaPrince.

Castmate Elimination: Loved this, especially the scissor steps. And the comments towards the cast. Wish we got to see the feces tea party though.

GTA:the Boardgame: Not too bad. Pales in comparison to the Grand Theft Auto: The Game Show. But what doesn't?

Sesame Street: This sketch felt so weird on the street, but it was still great, although it lost some of its magic. They could have used the brick wall set that they did in 1315 for the Viva La Vote sketch, but I'm glad they didnt. Argh... I hate that my viewing of my MADtv these days is more focused on the authenticity of the sketches rather than the laughs. I dont see this changing next season, however.

Luann Lockheart: I really like this character. Zero costumes, zero make-up and honestly, zero new material, and she stilll manages to be very funny every time. I wouldn't want to see her more than once or twice a season, however.

Overall: Completely average, with one or two gems thrown in for good measure. I can't say that I'm too inspired by this show right now, and I have a bad feeling that this will carry over into next season, as I dont see them dropping this format and returning to a studio any time soon. Too bad. So sad.

Old 05/20/2008, 8:23 AM
Obsessed!

Eric Violette Credit Card Song: I thought this was hilarious....Dan did a great job. It was one of the better sketches of the night imo.......really funny.

Theme Song: Go back to the old one, now!

Dr. Phil: I love Nicole and Michael...their impressions are spot on. I agree with the hair thing, she didn't look like Brittany in this one. It was good, I thought more could of been done with it. The ending saved the sketch to me, I don't know why but babies flying was hilarious. I think though all my favorite cast members of this season were on stage, so that was nice.

Spin Up!: Not their best a parody, Michael did a good job directing it. Found bits funny.

24 with Bobby Lee: Dave was hilarious, and I actually liked this one. Bobby and Dave were both really funny.

The Fave 5s: Eh, I liked Beyonce, that was funny. Operah's was ok. Filler, but not horrible.

Coach Hines: I'll be honest, I'm not a coach hines fan. I walked out of the room to do something during this sketch. The bloopers looked funny, but I can't judge this sketch since I did not see it.

Castmate Elimination: I wish they would of did more. I found it hilarious, the impressions were dead on for Randy, Paula, and Simon. They should of had like a improv elimination game throughout the episode, and let the audience vote people off. But I really liked the concept of this sketch, and they all did a great job.

GTA:the Boardgame: Arden made this sketch. She did a great job, it wasn't my favorite sketch, kind of seem like a rip-off of "The Welfare Game", which is one of my favorite sketches ever. So Arden got this one the stars.

Sesame Street: My least favorite of all the sesame street's, but I was sure glad to see it. It was still funny, but once again not being in a Studio Killed it. I still loved the sketch, loved the Cookie Monster part.

Luann Lockheart: Would of rather seen Wendy Walker, but it was nice to see one of Crista's characters this season. She was funny, loved when she went into the audience than ran up saying "noooo".

Closing: Keegan...should of said more. And if this was Bobby's last one, he should of done the closing. But I hope they keep the cast closing at the end of all episode, because I miss them, and that was a great thing about the older seasons.

Overall: Not the best season finale by a long shot. Glad to see Daheli in another episode outside her 4. Really, really, really sad that Stuart never appeared. They showed an encore of him and that was it. This is the first season since season 3 that Stuart has not appeared in. Also sad that the writers strike happened and Will and Alex didn't get to come back. MAD TV, please go back to the old format, while this season was prob. my least favorite, it had it's good moments, Nicole and Crista holding many of them. The old format was much more funny, and it felt like a sketch comedy show. This doesn't, I don't really enjoy it as much either. I'm sad also that Disney Girl never appeared, hello, 2 of her 3 sketches were on location shootings! And letting Lisa Donavon go was a mistake too since she is better at on location things, look at all of her work. Anyways, this episode was decent, Loved a lot of parts, and didn't like some. I hope they promote Dan and Daheli cause they will be good assets to the show. I'm really glad Nicole will be around for at least 8 episodes, because this would of been a horrible send off for her, since she hardly appeared in this episode. Until next season.....

-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
Old 05/20/2008, 6:06 PM
Fresh Meat

Yeah, going back to the original format would be best. And since there will only be 14 eps., why not? Somehow, I can just see Season 14 being the same as 13. Since 13 was the season that the show did a 180, I don't see it being very easy to go back the way things were.

I totally agree with what Dartanian said about evaluating the authenticity of sketches over the laughs. This is so true. Why can we only evaluate the authenticity of sketches now? When the show was in-studio, I could just focus on laughing at the characters and situations because I knew the sets would always be there anyways. With the removal of the studio in Season 13, I appreciate the in-studio sets a lot more.
Old 05/21/2008, 2:43 AM
Casual Fan

would it kill someone to load the Luann Lockhart sketch onto youtube?

about 100 people have loaded the GTA sketch, the coach hines sketch etc on there.

MADoz
Old 05/21/2008, 6:54 AM
Casual Fan

the luann lockhart sketch is there! i watched it last night!
Old 05/21/2008, 1:36 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm going to have to give MAD credit for working what they've got. They're going outside at pretty much every chance they can get, but it isn't working very well for me. The whole quality seems a little off, both in production and overall aesthetic, but I do give them tons of credit for working with what little they have.

That being said, this episode was bad. Or maybe it was good. My Hulu connection with this episode was awful, and that probably took away from the entire thing. But I really didn't like many of the sketches. No five stars out there, or four stars. They were all pretty mediocre.

Eric Violette: "The Credit Card Song" - An instance were I actually liked Oster. Surprise! A good way to start the episode off. For once, I have no complaints about an Oster performance. Maybe the best sketch of the night?

Dr. Phil: The Spears Family A good use of the stage! Impression wise, not great. Nicole's Britney is Will Sasso's Kenny Rodgers. She's looking less and less like Britney, and singing more and more. Not entirely a bad thing, but the nit-picker in me has to point it out. Not many funny moments, and at times you could see the hand throwing the babies into the crowd...

Spin Up! - A good concept, I wasn't really a fan of the outside setting. Although it fit perfectly, the whole thing looked really... eh? A good performance by Daheli, but not enough for me to want to keep her around.

24 with Bobby Lee: Dave Navarro - Not the funniest 24 ever, but I enjoyed it. Just enough Bobby beat downs, not enough dancing robots.
Fave 5: Oprah Winfrey, Fave 5: Simon Cowell, Fave 5: Beyonce Knowles - Completely unfunny, but for not being a Larry King sketch, this gets half a star.

Coach Hines: Paintball Massacre - Another outdoors sketch that just looked... off. My connection was really bad during this sketch, but all the characters were funny. Jordan's character, Bobby, even Hines had some good moments.

Castmate Elimination Show - If it wasn't for this sketch, I would have forgotten Johnny was still a cast member. Aside from that, a good sketch for Nicole. More Paula! Feces Tea Party? Classy. Good all around.

Grand Theft Auto - The Board Game - It's not Grand Theft Auto the Game Show, but it too bad it's moments. Aside from ugly-ing up Crista and hearing Arden do an awful voice (GIMmMe Mah MONEY BITChhHH!!), I liked it.

Sesame Street: Economic Depression - Sesame Street suffers when it's actually on the street. It wasn't as good as the others, simply put. The Swedish Chef was good, but Oster's Cookie Monster was awful in comparison to Frank's. I liked the songs.

Luann Lockhart: The Return - This is the worst review I've ever written. Again, not as funny as the other iterations. She wasn't as pathetic or sad as the others, and that's usually where her funniness comes from.

Commercial: Feed the Babies - I feel bad that Keegan had to read this.

Closing: Keegan & Cast/Coach Hines Outtakes - Back for Season 14! Hoorah!

I'm sorry that this is possibly the worst review ever written, but the blackwind surprise is simply too much to take. What could is be? MAD ladies in bikinis? Nicole Parker to SNL? Moving back to the studio? Nothing at all!?

Is it Season 14 yet!?
Old 05/22/2008, 9:38 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I will do my full episode review much later in the day, as I'm still mildly sick. I will say this much; for all of us wonderful fanatics of MADtv, the WHO/WHAT for the 13th Season Finale is finally up. Please be sure to take a look at it and point out any errors or mistakes you spot. Remember: all constructive criticism and feedback is appreciated.

Old 05/22/2008, 6:34 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Default G's Review of the 13th Season Finale

Well it has been "fun" for the past year, but of course all "good" things must come to an end. Here is my episode review for MAD's 13th Season Finale.

Eric Violette: The Credit Card Song: Hmm, this didn't do too much for me, but I can see why MAD chose to parody it; it was fresh and still popular considering it's based off of the Free Credit Report commercials. The only thing is, the jokes were somewhat "ehh" and it wasn't that great. Although I do give them credit for trying, and doing something that is still relevant at the time.

Dr. Phil: The Spears Family: Wow. You know one of the reasons why I like Michael was his ability to impersonate Dr. Phil accurately. Not only that, he brought out the realism in Philip McGraw: an artifical doctor who does indeed whore his name out and makes people feel worse than they already do (paging episode #806 please). But this time, it felt kind of dry and played out only because the Dr. Phil parodies worked much better with Oprah Winfrey--even the show on liars from last season was decent with NRJ's Oprah popping in last minute to reveal him to be Adolf Hitler. The point is, Dr. Phil is old news and no one cares about him especially now. The same applies to Britney. I love Nicole Parker; love her. Her and Crista are my boos. The problem is that, like Dr. Phil, Britney is irrelevant and no one gives a rat's ass about her anymore whether she's on drugs or not. But for trying with the stage, and lampooing something that happened recently, I'll give them

Spin Up!: This was funny, and those movies do get annoying after a while because seriously how many times can you make a movie about people who can dance their asses off? Seriously MTV needs to get itself a life if it's even possible anymore. Overall though, I liked the approach to it.

24 wit Bobby Lee: Dave Navarro: There were two of these all season long, and compared to the one with Carlos Mencia in episode #1305, this one was not as great. The one with Carlos was more original and stood out from the rest. The reason why I'm not too fond of this even after watching it a second time around, is that the "Bobby is disgusting let me vomit" joke has been used up at least 5 times per season. The one thing I did like was that it's almost believable that Bobby would contract a deceit boil by lying to a hot girl just for sex.

Fave 5: Oprah Winfrey/Simon Cowell/Beyonce Knowles: The ones with Charles Barkley and Dwayne Weade were way better. This one was blah in all three segments. The problem is that the filler is really unnecessary at this point in the season. In fact I thought we all made it clear that pointless filler like this only hurt the show; they should have shown Ray Ray at the Obama Rally instead of this but hey it's MADtv so whatevers.

Coach Hines: Paintball Massacre: I actually like Coach Hines; he's a very unique character and it's good to see this side of Keegan. Unfortunately, what makes this character amazing (ever since Season 9) is the ability to do the jokes in front of the audience to get an upfront reaction. I do have to give them props for using the approach to make this particular sketch an on-location one. At this point, getting a recurring character on the stage or not doesn't matter given the state of season 13.

Castmate Elimination Show: Johnny's only appearance on the episode aside from the Spin Up sketch, and this leads me to wonder if MADtv is even considering keeping him for next year. I know Bobby said that he isn't going anywhere, but MADtv is very unpredictable at this point so anything can pretty much go. Regardless, this American Idol based sketch was pretty decent, especially when they showed the video of Bobby eating backstage.

Grand Theft Auto: The Board Game: Now I myself have played GTA games, and if I remember correctly there was a game show sketch based off of the game some time in the past. Of course, the board game was pretty funny, and here's why. They pick a white family that appears to be a nuclear family with conservative beliefs, and certain morals. Enter GTA, and such ideals go right out the window. What's funny was that the dorky family goes completely corrupt with the game, and after all who wouldn't?? I give them credit for using this approach at poking fun of the average American family.

Sesame Street: Economic Depression: LOVE THE SESAME STREET sketches. Nothing tops the Bird Flu and Child Molester installments, but at any given rate I'll settle for this. Being the polical junkie that I am, I found it hilarious how they made fun of the economy going down because of soaring gas prices, and the lack of free health care in the country.

Luann Lockhart: The Return: FINALLY, a Crista character!!! And one that I actually enjoy--even though I enjoy them all except for the jazz-craft gals cause they are kind of...you know...out there. Anyways, this was funny because of Crista's expressions, and it almost makes you believe that this stuff would actually happen to Luann.

Commercial: Feed The Babies: What the f&*$? Uhhh no stars.

Closing: Keegan confirms Season 14 with his fellow castmates, and the outtakes were okay, but it would be nice to just have a regular cast closing like in seasons you know 1-11.

Overall: Well folks, MADtv has ended it's 13th year on the air and is slowly transitioning into it's 14th season come this September. Hopefully the producers and writers will take a look at the second half of season 11, all of season 12, and the second half of 13B and come up with material that resembles such quality and implement it for S14. I like to look at S14 as a second chance to make up for the disaster that was 85% of S13. I say it like that because 13A, as I put it in the Final Thoughts thread, had a large quantity of average to below average material. The show nailed it's format with the WGA strike episodes in February, and in the last five episodes, but the 3 WGA episodes in conjunction with the first 8 (the best of's and the 4 official episodes) overshadows the brightness of the final five episodes. If MADtv were reading my review in specific--you know individually to see each of our suggestions--I would suggest that they push and push and push to get their old studio back, get rid of their generic bullshit theme song that sounds like something SNL put together for them, utilize the cast evenly, and use the same format as before. They're getting a second chance, and this is their 14th year starting in September; they really need to make a lasting impression if they want to stick around for a bit longer than 14.

Old 05/22/2008, 8:03 PM
Obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
Hopefully the producers and writers will take a look at the second half of season 11, all of season 12, and the second half of 13B and come up with material that resembles such quality and implement it for S14.
that is a great idea. also, as much as I liked season 12, they should look back at season 5 and 6, the area where mad seemed to be the most popular, back in the Stuart/Swan hay day. When Alex, Mo, Nicole, and Debra ruled the show, and just see how the writing was. I still believe the writers are to blame, because all of these people are really talented, and we just aren't always seeing that. no offense to the writers, i know you all work very hard, and some stuff your coming up with is amazing, but it just seemed like the writing was stronger back then, and even through season 10.