Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/11/2010, 4:46 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

So the World Cup starts today, and so begins the most irritating tournament in the world. People all of a sudden go crazy here over it, and the fakers start to come out and pretend to like soccer just to belong. I remember when I was in high school, all these kids who never talked about soccer once started watching it like they've been doing it there whole lives.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Old 06/11/2010, 8:19 AM
D2F

I'm going to give the World Cup a chance this year. I'll probably only be watching USA matches and then the final matches after the USA get its ass kicked. I still need to find a reliable place that streams the matches in English, not moonspeak.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 06/11/2010, 10:16 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

I've heard that the US actually has a shot at winning the whole thing this year. If they do I think that's horrible. The US is good at everything else, why should they also be good at a sport most Americans don't care about. Leave this sport to the nations that really care about it. Also, Nemisis, you live in Washington State and this is a battle between the United States and England. I'm pretty sure there are going to be places running it in English. It just might be "mary"

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/12/2010, 4:42 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I'm going to give the World Cup a chance this year. I'll probably only be watching USA matches and then the final matches after the USA get its ass kicked. I still need to find a reliable place that streams the matches in English, not moonspeak.
Same, I'll watch the US matches or whatever else I happen to catch.
The problem with soccer is that it's such a low-scoring sport so 90 minutes gets me incredibly tense.

And the tie with England today wasn't helping none, because everyone knows if you didn't win, you fucking LOST. THIS IS AMERRUKA!

Anyway, I prefer instant gratification.
Like, right now, the Red Sox are killing Philly. Yay.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 06/12/2010, 7:18 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitaPockets View Post
The problem with soccer is that it's such a low-scoring sport so 90 minutes gets me incredibly tense.
This is the real problem I have with soccer. If it was just more high scoring I would probably like it. I wouldn't like it as much as other sports since the great north never seems to be in it, but I would enjoy it more. The best idea would be to maybe shorten the field. That way it would move back and forth faster.

Quote:
And the tie with England today wasn't helping none, because everyone knows if you didn't win, you fucking LOST.
I know. You think a game that has been around for hundreds of years would have figured out by now how to get rid of ties. A shootout, an accuracy contest, something!

Quote:
Anyway, I prefer instant gratification.
Like, right now, the Red Sox are killing Philly. Yay.
Wait, let me get this straight. Your in New York, you seem to love it there, and yet you cheer for the Red Sox. Interesting.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/12/2010, 9:29 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmanismadformad View Post
I know. You think a game that has been around for hundreds of years would have figured out by now how to get rid of ties. A shootout, an accuracy contest, something!
Or at least play more aggressively. Make it fun. I get too angsty.
Quote:
Wait, let me get this straight. Your in New York, you seem to love it there, and yet you cheer for the Red Sox. Interesting.
Surely you don't take me for a Yankees fan!
Hate the Yankees, so in their everlasting feud w/ Boston, guess who I go for?
That being said, the Mets won their game tonight agaainst Baltimore.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 06/12/2010, 9:34 PM
D2F

Baseball is the most boring game on earth.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 06/12/2010, 9:59 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Surely you don't take me for a Yankees fan!
Hate the Yankees, so in their everlasting feud w/ Boston, guess who I go for?
That being said, the Mets won their game tonight agaainst Baltimore.
But don't you live in Manhattan or somewhere on the mainland? I thought only people from Qweens and people on the rest of Long Island cheered for the Mets. Also, don't be too happy that you beat the Mets beat Baltimore. This isn't 1969.

Quote:
Well you do live in Washington (do you live in Seattle?), and the Mariners are just a cursed franchise. If you go to the games it's a lot more fun. The atmosphere is what makes it fun. When it's on tv with a team your just not invested in, then it is pretty boring. Believe me I know. I still consider myself a Montreal Expos fan, which makes me a hater of the Blue Jays, a team who has every game broadcasted on basic cable despite the fact most people in rthe country think they suck.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/13/2010, 8:58 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
But don't you live in Manhattan or somewhere on the mainland? I thought only people from Qweens and people on the rest of Long Island cheered for the Mets. Also, don't be too happy that you beat the Mets beat Baltimore. This isn't 1969.
I was born in Brooklyn. I'm also staying there right now. (LA stole our team) and I did a stint in Queens. But even so, the Yankees are tight ass douchebags. They suck.

Quote:
Fuck you you hockey loving sob.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 06/13/2010, 10:56 AM
D2F

I don't think your argument about living in a town with a good baseball team holds weight, tvman. It is true that I've only lived near metros with shit teams (Padres, Mariners) but I don't think the game is made *that* much more exciting when your team wins a lot. I have gone to one baseball game before and it was excruciatingly boring. The games are entirely too long and just the activity itself is boring. To be fair, I also think football is boring, and football is significantly more actiony than baseball.

You can't compare hockey with baseball. At least in hockey people are smashing into eachother and fighting and they're hauling ass around a big field made of ice. In baseball people are just standing around in grass/dirt until the ball happens to come their way. Snore.

Old 06/13/2010, 6:58 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
I don't think your argument about living in a town with a good baseball team holds weight, tvman. It is true that I've only lived near metros with shit teams (Padres, Mariners) but I don't think the game is made *that* much more exciting when your team wins a lot. I have gone to one baseball game before and it was excruciatingly boring. The games are entirely too long and just the activity itself is boring. To be fair, I also think football is boring, and football is significantly more actiony than baseball.
If you get a scoresheet and figure out how to use it the game gets a little more exciting. Also, you say you hate football, but really it's not that much different then hockey. They tackle, there are crushing blows. It great.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/13/2010, 7:43 PM
D2F

You're right. Filling out spreadsheets and doing arithmetic DOES make everything much more fun.

Old 06/13/2010, 7:46 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

It does keep you in the game.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/14/2010, 8:58 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
At least in hockey people are smashing into eachother and fighting and they're hauling ass around a big field made of ice. In baseball people are just standing around in grass/dirt until the ball happens to come their way. Snore.
The only time I paid any attention to a hockey game was when I saw a Rangers game at MSG. But on tv, I could care less. True, baseball isn't as aggressive, but sometimes injuries occurr. I've seen guys get knocked out by balls.
Quote:
It does keep you in the game.
Know what's better? Not math. Know what's best? Keeping your eyes on the game.
It's difficult to get at first. Sometimes I don't even know why the ball is out.
I feel baseball is a reasonable sport. After all, it is the great American past-time you commie bastard.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 06/15/2010, 12:07 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
After all, it is the great American past-time you commie bastard.
You mean the great American game Canadians made? Oh and if that comment is towards me, I am Canadian. You guys took my only baseball team, the greatest baseball team in the world the Montreal Expos, stabbed them, ripped out there guts, and paraded them around the streets, you bastards!

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/15/2010, 9:07 PM
Hardcore Fan

Anyone here watch a show called "SportsNation" on ESPN2?
Old 06/17/2010, 9:22 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Montreal Canadiens GM commits genocide on Canadiens goaltending by trading Halak to St. Louis for 2 nobodies.

. Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why!!!

What logic is it to trade Halak not only to St. Louis for 2 nobodies!!! I know Halak and Price were both set to be free agents and they could only sign one of them, but everyone would agree that Halak was the better of the 2. Price can't do anything, and was definately the bad choice. This is going to be one of the dumbest trades in NHL history.

Rise from the Dead!

Old 06/17/2010, 9:46 PM
D2F

This week the World Cup has been pretty awesome. Did anyone catch the North Korea vs Brazil match? I was pretty blown away by it. NK hasn't made it to the world cup since 66' and actually held their own, and were extremely gracious the entire match. None of them dove or rolled around crying on the ground like most of the other competitors. I'll definitely be watching out for them.

Also all my teams seem to be doing well. Mexico just stomped France, Portugal and the US tied. Tomorrow's games are going to be pretty awesome, and I need to figure out some way to watch them at work while still getting some actual work accomplished.

Old 06/17/2010, 10:44 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

I'm starting to feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't care about soccer. On the plus side, I know I'm not alone when it comes to the Canadiens.

Old 06/17/2010, 11:14 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Quote:
NK hasn't made it to the world cup since 66' and actually held their own, and were extremely gracious the entire match. None of them dove or rolled around crying on the ground like most of the other competitors.
Which is odd, considering they are all communists. Old school communists at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
I'm starting to feel like the only person on Earth who doesn't care about soccer.
Not true bw. I like all white multi generation Canadians still don't care about soccer. I still laugh at all the coverage that CBC is giving to the games. They are trying to make them a big thing when really they are just sad that CTV got the Olympics, and they had to settle for the sport that Canadians not only don't care about, and the tournament that they are not even in.

Rise from the Dead!