Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/19/2008, 11:40 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Exclamation Judgment Day: Anjelah Johnson

So, she put in her four episodes, and as of #1311, her contract has now been officially fulfilled. As we speak, the powers that be are deciding her fate over martinis and a friendly game of baccarat. Simple question: Has Anjelah earned herself a permanent slot in the cast? In the interests of encouraging discussion, I chose not to make this a poll. Be sure to respond, and be sure to back up your answer.

Old 02/19/2008, 11:55 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Has Anjelah earned a permanent place in the cast through her performance in 4 episodes? No.

Has Anjelah done enough to have her FP contract renewed for the another 4 episodes, or the rest of this season? Yes, I think so. And with the likely departure of Nicole at the end of the season, and from what I can tell, Anjelah's incredible popularity outside this forum, she will be retained. That is, if she wants a place in the cast. Which I think is highly likely.

As far as performances go, what chances has she really had to prove her worth?

Her Stand-Up was decent. Bon Qui Qui was above average, but not legendary. Is there anything I'm missing?

Old 02/19/2008, 12:23 PM
zlolz

I think they'll keep her through at least the end of the season. She hasn't been amazing, but Bon Qui Qui was good and one of the better sketches of the season thus far, and her stand-up was decent/average. She hasn't done anything terrible yet, either. As with most of the newbies, I don't think she's shown all she can do yet, but she has MUCH more potential then, say, Johnny. Besides, I have a feeling she was added to sort of be Nicole's replacement, so I think they have intentions of keeping her, assuming the show lasts past S13.

Old 02/19/2008, 1:16 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Going along what Rurry said, I agree that she'll be kept on the show if it survives past S13. At the same time, she hasn't used her full potential nor was she given a sufficient amount of air time to begin with.

Let's recap shall we. #1306--all she had was her introduction. #1308--Bon Qui Qui was the only sketch she was featured in, yet it was an amazing performance. She wrote it herself, and it was one of the better sketches thus far. #1310--this is where things start to get problematic. Anjelah was only featured in the Eddie Thundercloud: Illegal Immigration segment as an extra. #1311--second problem. She was only featured in the last installment of the Women's Murder Club parody. What's my point? She's been given 4 episodes, and ironically only appeared once in each of those episodes. Am I saying that she's horrible? Absolutely not. Does she have the potential to be a strong cast member? Yes indeed. The problem is that she wasn't supplied with enough airtime to prove anything.

Yeah it's possible that she was cast to replace Nicole Parker once she takes off. However if MADtv expects Anjelah to fill in that gap, they need to give her more airtime this season so she can use her full potential and prove to everyone that she truly deserves a spot on the cast.

In the meantime, I'm gonna go in favor of keeping her around.

Old 02/19/2008, 3:22 PM
Season 14 is Here!

I say keep her! They need to keep her! Okay I know I'm being really biased, but I really think she is funny. I think she can give us much more then what she has and they need to give her more of a chance. I loved Bon Qui Qui and her Nail Lady impression. Thats all we've seen from her! She can play a normal character really well too.

Old 02/19/2008, 3:30 PM
Hardcore Fan

Drop. The cast is too big as it is.
Old 02/19/2008, 3:32 PM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder8484 View Post
Well the cast will get major changes if the show goes on to Season 14. Many contracts will expire..... The cast will change, they need cast members.

EDIT: My question is sort of stupid, cause I kind of already know the answer but does this mean no more Anjelah or Dan til Season 14? Asuming they make it and there is another season

Old 02/19/2008, 3:55 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder8484 View Post
8 Regulars, and 3 Featured Players is a small cast if you ask me. Seasons 8 and 9 were examples of the show having large casts ever. S8 had a total of 14 (13 once Jill left the show), and S9 had 10 regulars with 6 Featured Players overall (once Mo and Melissa Paul left, there was a total of 14). S10 had a total of 14. Season 13's cast is a mirror image of Season 12's cast as far as numbers go. Both casts have 11 players total, so if you ask me S13's cast is not big.

Old 02/19/2008, 4:06 PM
zlolz

S13's cast is about average sized I'd say, maybe a little below average. It's just right if you ask me - not too large or too small.

It's also true that if S14 happens, Bobby, Jordan and Nicole will be out the door, and possibly Michael and Keegan as well, so they'd need everyone they can get.

Old 02/19/2008, 5:04 PM
Hardcore Fan

SEASON 13 CAST IS TOO BIG. Season 1 was just right. Everyone got the right amount of airtime. This season, however, due to a decrease in the # of sketches, it's way too big.
Old 02/19/2008, 5:15 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

But she's a featured player who has starred in a grand total of 1 sketch (Bon Qui Qui) and a introductory piece in 7 episodes. Hardly taking time away from the cast -- that would the encores, the writers strike, the stand up, the rice and beans tours, the music box filler etc etc etc. Anjelah is the least of the problems with the show at the moment and cutting her because of a bloated cast (which it is not, by the way) would be a disservice to the show.

Old 02/19/2008, 5:51 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
But she's a featured player who has starred in a grand total of 1 sketch (Bon Qui Qui) and a introductory piece in 7 episodes. Hardly taking time away from the cast -- that would the encores, the writers strike, the stand up, the rice and beans tours, the music box filler etc etc etc. Anjelah is the least of the problems with the show at the moment and cutting her because of a bloated cast (which it is not, by the way) would be a disservice to the show.
Exactly. The size of the cast isn't the problem, just the way they're utilizing them.

Old 02/19/2008, 6:06 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I agree with Kurt. She hasn't done anything amazing at this point (or really, anything at all), but I expect them to keep her around.

As far as the cast size, yeah Season 9 and 10's casts were big, and that was a HUGE problem in those seasons. So many cast members kept getting the shaft. And now Season 13, with a much smaller cast, can barely handle that. So, in that sense, the cast is too big.

Old 08/07/2008, 9:59 AM
Fresh Meat

Definitely keep. No question about that.