Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/16/2006, 5:25 PM
Regular

Default Weezer

It has been reported that Weezer are going on a permenant hiatus. Lead singer Rivers Cuomo confirmed it with MTV News.

Here's the link the Yahoo news article: http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/34019840

I always thought that Weezer was one of the most underrated mainstream modern rock bands out there. On the other hand, they were the type of band that would release only one or two good songs per album. But I do appreciate the fact that Weezer were hugely successful with little or no promotion (ahem, U2). And I do appreciate the fact that Weezer were hugely successful without having to make their sound intensely poppy (ahem, Green Day). It was their fans that kept them successful.

Their best songs were Undone, Buddy Holly, Island In The Sun, Dope Nose, Beverly Hills, and Perfect Situation.

Oh well- there will always be the Foo Fighters.

In other news, Avril Lavigne got married to that Sum 41 guy.

Old 07/16/2006, 8:14 PM
His senses were dimmed

This is sad news because each album has been better than the one before it. Their most recent was awesome.

I figured it was coming because I heard Rivers was writing song that weren't for Weezer. I'm just a bit shocked it was confirmed so quickly though.

Wow losing Blink 182 and Weezer within these few years is crazy. Too bad we are left with **** like Green Day. I wish they would break up.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 07/17/2006, 12:05 AM
Hardcore Fan

That's sad news for all Weezer fans especially since they had a huge hit with Beverly Hills recently.

But then Weezer went almost five years between studio albums in their career so don't write the group's tombstone just yet.
Old 07/19/2006, 8:54 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~
Wow losing Blink 182 and Weezer within these few years is crazy. Too bad we are left with **** like Green Day. I wish they would break up.
May I ask this:

What makes Blink 182 better than Green Day?

Aren't both bands part of the whole pop-punk genre?

Old 07/19/2006, 9:28 PM
His senses were dimmed

One is ****ty and one didn't take itself too seriously.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 07/19/2006, 9:44 PM
Syeah!

man i loved blink 182, the big difference i found between them and green day was that as green day got oler and older, before they released american idiot they totally conformed to the trendy style that was in at the time to try and sell cd's, where blink got more serious with their lifes as they grew up.

Just look at how far the lead singer of blink 182 has gone from their old songs and videos like "Whats my age again" and his new band angels and airwaves.
Old 07/19/2006, 10:00 PM
I AM A ROBOT ALLIGATOR

I never cared much for Weezer. But, they weren't a bad band. =(
Old 07/20/2006, 2:15 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~
This is sad news because each album has been better than the one before it. Their most recent was awesome.
I beg to differ. The first two are the best, and my opinions are ALWAYS right The last one was the better of the latter three albums though.
Old 07/22/2006, 11:25 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caetifan
man i loved blink 182, the big difference i found between them and green day was that as green day got oler and older, before they released american idiot they totally conformed to the trendy style that was in at the time to try and sell cd's, where blink got more serious with their lifes as they grew up.

Just look at how far the lead singer of blink 182 has gone from their old songs and videos like "Whats my age again" and his new band angels and airwaves.
I agree that Blink 182 matured and became more daring as they went along. Their last album sounded totally different from the trendy stuff they did on Enema. I never really cared for Blink until their self-titled record.

The lead singer of Blink is Tom DeLong, and Angels & Airwaves is his new band. And I've noticed how he is no longer a favourite among teens and has moved more into the 'mainstream alternative' vein of rock music. So big ups to him.