Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/22/2003, 10:23 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

It's sort of the curse of the big Grammy winners to sweep them one year but never, ever to have the same success ever again. Not that the people aren't talented or anything. Macy Gray, Nelly Furtado, Norah Jones (she was only last year), Lauryn Hill and Alanis Morissette never grabbed the same or almost as good success since. Although Ms. Furtado only just released her second CD and Alanis' Thank U was one of her biggest hits ever.

Anyway, back on topic...

Foo Fighters, The Offspring, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, Mad Caddies, Rancid, The Distillers, Operation Ivy, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Misfits (70's stuff), Alanis Morissette, Holly McNarland. I also have CD's from the past from Bush (the good CD), Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, No Doubt (earlier years), Our Lady Peace (earlier years), The Tragically Hip, Hole, Veruca Salt. And Aqua, hehehe. I do have a Green Day CD but never got into them, which was very unlikely that I didn't. I also like (but don't have CD's from adult stuff like Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Dave Matthews Band and Chantal Kreviasuk.

Old 12/22/2003, 10:25 PM
Mr. Jessica Alba

Lauryn is really against the industry, she feels like they have used her and that being in the spotlight has broke her down so much emotionally and mentally that she doesn't like it at all. It's such a shame, because I love her...her work w/ The Fugees is great, and of course Miseducation is genius...there are some great moments on the Unplugged set, but it's not for everyone. It's very political...and very unlike her studio album. And lots of the instrumentals sound the same, lol....plus her voice is very raw and strained. I miss her so much though, she's such a great artist.

Old 12/23/2003, 4:19 AM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i really love unplugged album
and yeah...she changed a lot
i kinda wondered what all those acoustic songs would of sounded like if they had of been recorded in the studio
also while recording unplugged her voice was strained due to a flu
she sucks lozenges between songs and drinks honey tea and stuff
poor girl

go get out sister act 2, see her in that, sings so good it gave me goosebumps
Old 12/23/2003, 9:50 AM
0ld sk00l

I don't really listen to music that much... I just like whatever is on the radio mostly and I dont even know who the hell is singnig! I do like Evenescence though.. I like their style.

My Fanfics
Old 12/23/2003, 10:21 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

I listen to a lot of internet radio at home and at work. All sorts of stuff. I avoid country & rap, r&b and other stuff i have trouble understanding.

Old 12/23/2003, 11:04 AM
for the emperor

Raps whoreabloe (get it WHOREable..bah it's lost on you)

I'm back baby

In all my years I have never seen them do that!
Old 12/23/2003, 11:49 AM
Only Passing Through

Default Listen to ANYONE BUT...

The Dan Band... for some reason I just dont like them... LMAO.
Old 12/23/2003, 2:45 PM
Mr. Jessica Alba

Quote:
Originally posted by tarzapam

go get out sister act 2, see her in that, sings so good it gave me goosebumps
Not only that, the movie is hilarious!

Old 12/23/2003, 6:07 PM
Totally F****able

Default Re: Listen to ANYONE BUT...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mitchell
The Dan Band... for some reason I just dont like them... LMAO.

I like them, Even though I've only heard their version of "Genie in a Bottle" they were on the Craig Kilborne Show a while back.

They're technically just three guys, the backup musicians are referred to as "rock rejects"

Old 12/23/2003, 6:43 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny

Not only that, the movie is hilarious!
yeah well that too
i liked it a whole lot more than the first one...and jennifer love hewitt is in it..shes so cute
Old 12/23/2003, 7:25 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

My favorite band is definitely No Doubt. Besides putting on an amazing live show, their music has gotten me through some really hard times in my life. They have evolved and changed so much over the years that no matter what mood I'm in I can put them on. I think that they are simply one of the best bands out there right now, although I am a bigger fan of their older stuff. Return of Saturn is my all-time favorite album.

Some other bands I like are Bush, Garbage, Green Day, SR-71, The Ninjas, Aqua, Lit, Handsome Devil, Sublime, Abandoned Pools, Gob, Orgy, and a whole bunch of others. I like a lot of music. I pretty much hate most of the music out there on the radio these days, though. It's mostly crap in my opinion.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 12/23/2003, 7:33 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

You like Aqua too? Who else is an Aqua fan? They did pop-party-dance music but still EVERYONE who was into rock loved them. My brother who was into Rage Against The Machine and Nirvana was always like "have you seen that Barbie video yet?". They did play they're own music and wrote it (even though their lyrics don't really mean anything but fun) and had an awesome fashion sense...they had spiky hair and she (Lene) had that short red hair cut like a year or two before those hair styles became huge over here! I put on both their CD's yesterday...aweee the memories! Barbie Girl is one of my fav music videos ever...the arm popping off Barbie is a classic moment in music video history.

Old 12/23/2003, 10:04 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Aqua was great. I have both of their albums and Lene's solo album. In my honest opinion, it's the best techno/dance pop of the 90s. They were cartoonish and sarcastic and they didn't care. They were weird and different. I used to be a huge fan of theirs back when they first came out and recently one of my friends and I began listening to them again. My favorite track is Lollipop (Candyman). Ever see the video? That was trippy. lol. I just thought they were pure fun dance music. Too bad they split up. Their second album wasn't nearly as good as the first because they began to try and write more serious music. I don't know why they were a 1 hit wonder in the US, they had a lot of songs that were better than Barbie Girl.

Do any of you ever go back and listen to the music that you listened to when you were younger? It's pretty weird. Some of it I think "what the hell was I thinking" but other times I end up really liking it all over again.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 12/23/2003, 10:08 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I am so glad that I bought Aqua CD's! Actually i had one of those "look back on what you used to listen to and regret it" instances just a month after I bought Nickelback ! Other CD's I'm glad I bought and later regret it and later like it again...weird, huh!

I didn't know Lene (pronounced Leena) had a solo album...what was it like? Similar to Aqua music?

Old 12/23/2003, 10:25 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I didn't know Lene (pronounced Leena) had a solo album...what was it like? Similar to Aqua music?
Actually, it was more like raunchy pop star music, which is not what I'm into. It wasn't as good, I thought it would be a little bit more like Aqua. Her first single was called "It's Your Duty." I have the music video on my computer. I downloaded it from a site that is for some reason down right now, otherwise I'd post a link. She's posing for the British edition of Playboy in January.

Old 12/24/2003, 7:13 AM
Only Passing Through

Default If Im " shootin' "

Ive never heard em...

Tried to find em on Kazaa to no avail. Tried to look em up online via Google, to no avail. ( Well, I am not sure I found em... )

Jimi Englund? Hmmm... name rings a bell with me for some odd reason other than being " Mr. Mo Collins... " Btw, has anyone ever listened to the Johnny G. Lyons band? Or my favorite singer of all time Frank Hardwick ( Lord rest you, my dear friend... )
Old 12/24/2003, 7:18 AM
Totally F****able

Default Re: If Im " shootin' "

Quote:
Ive never heard em...

Tried to find em on Kazaa to no avail. Tried to look em up online via Google, to no avail. ( Well, I am not sure I found em... )

Jimi Englund? Hmmm... name rings a bell with me for some odd reason other than being " Mr. Mo Collins... " Btw, has anyone ever listened to the Johnny G. Lyons band? Or my favorite singer of all time Frank Hardwick ( Lord rest you, my dear friend... )

Jimi's from Minneapolis as is Mo, they were married in Minneapolis. Jimi's done some session work with a few singers, and in Minnesota he was in this band called Hideous Rodeo I believe.

I talked to a guy a while back in the madtv newsgroup and he used to work with Mo when she was still at Dudley Riggs.

www.thedanband.com is their addy I belive.

Old 12/24/2003, 8:05 AM
Only Passing Through

Default Jimi Englund??? Where?

http://www.thedanband.com/theband.html

Where is Jimi Englund? I had actually found this page, Scorp... but dismissed it because there was no mention of " Mr. Mo "...
Old 12/24/2003, 8:12 AM
0ld sk00l

Haha! Aqua is awesome! I like their first CD kinda better than the second though. There's not one song I don't likke on the first cd.

My Fanfics
Old 12/24/2003, 8:29 AM
Totally F****able

Default Re: Jimi Englund??? Where?

Quote:
http://www.thedanband.com/theband.html

Where is Jimi Englund? I had actually found this page, Scorp... but dismissed it because there was no mention of " Mr. Mo "...
Crap, I forgot he wasnt listed anymore. Maybe you should write an email asking what happened to him, y'know why did he quit? or was he fired?

Cuz him not being in the band at the same time Mo leaves the show is more than coincidence.