Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1314?
The Pussycat Dolls: Girlicious 6 20.69%
Political Smear Ad: John McCain 0 0%
Political Smear Ad: Barack & Hillary 0 0%
Kim Jong-Il & Friends: "Yes, I Can" 1 3.45%
Mannequin vs. Mannequin 3 10.34%
Moment of Truth: Maury & Connie 5 17.24%
Fun with Still Images: VCR Repair Shop #1 1 3.45%
Fun with Still Images: VCR Repair Shop #2 0 0%
Melvin Dufrane: Police Report #1 7 24.14%
The Rude Jew Mattress Store 1 3.45%
Fashion Surprise! 4 13.79%
Eat Less, Move More 1 3.45%
Melvin Dufrane: Police Report #2 0 0%
Fun with Still Images: VCR Repair Shop #3 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/17/2008, 10:29 PM
Obsessed!

Murderous Mannequin is brilliant, I can't believe you guys are still complaing. It looks halarious, we havn't seen him forever, and it's not a "worn-out character", whats the fuss? They are making attempts, and I think all three sketches look amazing. Lately it seems like people will just compalin about anything because they need something to complain about, at least the season is ending better then it started. Were getting a recurring character that was let loose from the vaults of Mad Tv, Connie Chung (whom I love when Bobby does her), and another music video parody. Yes, we havn't seen Disney Girl or Wendy Walker which makes me sad, but I'm excited for what they're giving us. Murderous Mannequin is a way a gift to the loyal fans, we remeber it, and the new viewers meet a character who is great, and we get to see something from the old days.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hope Stuart appears at least once this season.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart

Old 04/18/2008, 2:51 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

A 4th new promo has been added to the first post. It's of the Mannequin vs. Mannequin sketch. I'm no McD fanboy, but I enjoy those sketches, and this one looks quite good in my opinion. Good premise too.

So the sketches previewed for this episode are:

Mannequin vs. Mannequin
Music Video: Will.i.am feat. Kim Jong Il "Yes, We Can"
The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious
The Moment of Truth: Connie Chung
Fashion Makeover (?)
RayRay: Obama Rally

Although I have a feeling the RayRay sketch was cut in favor of the Mannequin sketch, as they replaced the Obama/RayRay photo on FoxFash with the Neil Patrick Harris pics.

Last edited by Dartanian; 04/18/2008 at 3:33 AM.
Old 04/18/2008, 2:54 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Dan definitely fills the Pat Kilbane/Josh Meyers slot on the show, playing the straight guy/show host. I'd say you probably better get used to him in these roles, bw.

Dan for Spishak Spokesman, 09?

Old 04/18/2008, 3:20 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig View Post
Murderous Mannequin is brilliant, I can't believe you guys are still complaing. It looks halarious, we havn't seen him forever, and it's not a "worn-out character", whats the fuss?
Worn out in terms of number of appearances? Perhaps not. Worn out in terms of, what else can be done with a character who doesn't speak? Unequivocally, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious
Ah HA! I'm not sure why I didn't make the connection until just now, but this'll surely be the fabled bikini sketch, and I have a sneaking suspicion () that at least one of the other ladies will be getting in on the action. This brings me great joy. Better get those bonus points locked and loaded, boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
Dan definitely fills the Pat Kilbane/Josh Meyers slot on the show, playing the straight guy/show host. I'd say you probably better get used to him in these roles, bw.
Oh, I don't have any particular problem with that -- I just want to make it perfectly clear that he shouldn't be confined to *just* those types of roles. Perfect as he is for them, the man has so much more to offer.

Old 04/19/2008, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ah HA! I'm not sure why I didn't make the connection until just now, but this'll surely be the fabled bikini sketch, and I have a sneaking suspicion () that at least one of the other ladies will be getting in on the action.
Well, that certainly didn't work out the way I was hoping it would.

Old 04/19/2008, 9:39 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Well, that certainly didn't work out the way I was hoping it would.

Old 04/19/2008, 9:59 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'm afraid to even comment on this episode...so I'll let someone else go first

Old 04/19/2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Well, nothing here stood out as particularly horrible, but nothing here stood out as particularly great either. As always, I fully intend to watch the episode back several more times before submitting my review, but I have a feeling I won't be awarding any scores higher than 3.5 this week. I'm not sure what else to say at this point. Do better, folks.

Anyway, poll is up, rate the thread, submit your full reviews, and all the usual jazz.

Lurkers: Register an account and join in on the discussion!

Old 04/20/2008, 12:38 AM
Hardcore Fan

Most of the episode was great but the smear ads and the fun with still images really brought the overall quality down.

Old 04/20/2008, 12:46 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Since I basically stuck my toejam in my mouth last week with my premature ejaculation of an episode rating, I'm taking a different approach this week by "holding it in," so to speak, until I submit my full episode rating. (Ah, climax!) That said, don't be surprised if I declare #1314 to be even better than last week's episode, and thus the best of the season so far. In turn, I promise not to be surprised when I reenter this thread to witness a flurry of the usual 4/10 and 5/10 episode ratings. Don't let me down! ;P

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/20/2008, 1:21 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I thought this episode was REALLY good. The only two I really didn't like were the Kim Jong Il video and the Go Fuck Yourself skit. I LOVED the VCR skits. I was a big fan of the podcast Infected, and it really put me in the mind of that.

I think I may actually do a full review tomorrow.

Old 04/20/2008, 10:41 AM
Fresh Meat

Default Some high points, most low

I am new to reviewing but I'll just say my personal opinion of the HIGHLIGHTS of Ep. 14:

-The Girlicious opening was a good parody but I couldn't hear what they were singing. Christa's giant hoop earrings were funny.
-The Political Smear ads became funny when GWB's face came into view.
-Kim Jong-Il's music video was incoherent the entire duration.
-Neil Patrick Harris' appearance was great but I wanted to see more of him in the episode reclaiming his role as the new floor leader!!! Sneaky Snakes!!!
-The Moment of Truth with Bobby's Connie was the star sketch of the episode and the McD/Bobby kiss was downright hilarious!
-The ending of Fashion Surprise was funny when he thought his wife organized the whole torture thing

Thank-you for reading!

P.S. Where the heck is Daheli?! Is her Ray Ray sketch so good that they're putting it in the next episode to spread out their funny material?
Old 04/20/2008, 10:46 AM
Hardcore Fan

If this episode proved anytihng, it's that Oster has definitely been pigeonholed. He was host twice.

While the VCR sketches were amusing, they are NOT for sketch comedy shows, and that's no way to save Mad.

At this point, I don't even understand why they have the studio. It could have been used for "Eat Less, Move More" and it's just to unique looking to work for anything but gam shows. (And does it even work for that)

Lastly, I'm almost positive Spike Feresten stole Mad's old studio. Like 99% sure. I actually don't mind his show, but Mad needs a studio they can do sketches in.
Old 04/20/2008, 5:50 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Haha, I just watched the episode. All I can say is ... Fashion Surprise was fucking hilarious. Loved it. Hope we see it again.

I'll do a full review tomorrow.

Old 04/21/2008, 12:33 AM
Hardcore Fan

Even though it was my favorite sketch, the "Mannequin vs. Mannequin" is a lot like the first "Mannequin Manslaughter" sketch, Neil Patrick Harris basically played Pat Kilbane's character. They should bring back older characters more often, especially when the opportunity presents themselves. In fact, they really should do a parody of "Young at Heart" with Happy Folger.

"The Eat Less, Move More" is way too similar to a sketch Steve Martin did on SNL called "Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford."

Old 04/21/2008, 5:28 AM
Hardcore Fan

I think that the most exciting event of the year will be when PlanetMADtv decides the strongest male cast member and the strongest female cast member. It's a draw between Keegan and Jordan, as far as I'm concerned; and a draw between Nicole and Crista.

I thought this episode was a solid four stars. I might, if I have time, do a review later.
Old 04/21/2008, 9:34 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Default G's Review

Here is my spectacular review for episode #1314.

The Pussycat Dolls: Girlicious: Wow. Keegan-Michael Key is amazing in drag because it's so believable. I was literally on the floor rolling when I saw him dressed as Robin Antin. The other highlight was when Crista's character was doing her interview; the large hoop earrings....WOW. The only downside was that they had a stage performance which, like the Airway Band Performance from #1306, was unnecessary.

Political Smear Ad: John McCain: I'm a Political Science junkie, so watching this was interesting for me. When the image shifted to Bush about someone being a thief, pro-assault weapons, and involved with torture, I was blown away. The reason why I'm giving this one 5 stars is because this is what makes MADtv unique; it pushes the envelope a bit further especially considering it's on FOX.

Political Smear Ad: Barack and Hillary: While this wasn't as funny as the McCain one, it did provide an opposite point of view bashing the Democrats (hey it's only fair). Not only that, but it did show the not-so-pretty side of our two favorite democrats that literally crave each other sexually.

Kim Jong-Il & Friends: "Yes, I Can:" I remember watching the original Obama video this was based off. While it was nice to see Kim Jong-Il courtesy of Bobby Lee, it fell a little flat. I was shocked too because MAD has a tendency to pull off amazing video parodies (hell they had Sad Fitty Cent and "Obama" this season). But I give them credit for adding a little spin on the politics

Mannequin vs. Mannequin: This was pretty decent. The good thing about Michael's mannequen character is that it isn't dragged out and overly abused like Stuart was. Neil Patrick Harris' appearance was witty because this is exactly how he acts (and his personality is inherantly funny), and it was pretty good overall.

Moment of Truth: Maury & Connie: I have watched the actual show, and while this wasn't as clever or innovative as the original, it was still quite hilarious. Bobby's Connie Chung never gets old, considering we've barely seen her. Not only that, but it's almost believable that Maury is having his 1 millionth paternity test. Connie playing Maury in the end was clever, and the two of them making out was just the icing on the cake; in fact if I didn't know any better I would have assumed they were about to have sex.

Fun with Still Images: VCR Repair Shop #1 & 2: They didn't really stand out. Enough said.

Melvin Dufrane: Police Report #1 and 2: Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure this is the same character from #1305 who was in the "Dateline: To Catch a Predator" sketch. This guy was pretty funny in the police report sketches; especially given the fact that he literally screwed himself over by reporting himself to the cops.

The Rude Jew Mattress Store: Ehhh this was alright. Not too clever with the racial humor. The only part that I liked was when the little girl said to go "f*** yourself."

Fashion Surprise!: This was really funny. I couldn't stop laughing at Nicole and Jordan because of their costumes. The real highlights were: knocking the guy unconscious, locking him in the basement and then him beating his wife when he assumed she planned the whole thing. Good use of physical comedy

Eat Less, Move More: Ehhh I didn't care for this one.

Fun with Still Images #3: This was the only decent one of the three segments; of course. The "kid" telling the repairman his name was "D'zz-Nuts" was classic, and the repairman going crazy because he wanted the $75,000.

Overall: This was a decent episode. It wasn't as good as the two before it, but it was still better than every other episode prior to episode #1312. My only problem was that they could have been more clever with the racial humor, and the fun with still images segments were really unnecessary. They should have stuck with clip art instead. OVerally, I give it a 7/10. Like Blackwind said, just do better next time.

Old 04/21/2008, 4:46 PM
Casual Fan

i loved the "eat less, move more" skit
and the lyrics to the girlicious song "lik me up" were hilarious... "lik me up... but respect me!"
LOL

Old 04/21/2008, 6:29 PM
Hardcore Fan

Solid episode. 4 stars. Some of the sketches reminded me of MADtv's earlier years (Eat More, Mannequin), and we weren't bombarded by parodies of obscure television shows that will probably be cancelled in a year. The Political Smear ads were outstanding.

Anyway, it's nice that we saw all those one-off sketches. Will Coach Hines, Wendy Walker, and Disney Girl appear at all this season though? And I mean a real Coach Hines sketch.
Old 04/21/2008, 10:12 PM
His senses were dimmed

This one sounds good. I will catch it on reruns hopefully.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards