Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1312?
Juno II 6 20.00%
Barack Obama & Oprah: "O" 3 10.00%
Minnesota Governor Aaron Castel Resigns 1 3.33%
Animation: Fun with Clip Art 1 3.33%
Celebrity Rehab: Introduction 4 13.33%
Celebrity Rehab: New Arrival 0 0%
The Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man: Hillary Clinton 3 10.00%
Red Carpet: American Idol's Top 12 Party 1 3.33%
Race Ghost 6 20.00%
The Cameraman with the Beard Ghost 5 16.67%
REALsports with Bryant Gumbel: Roger Clemens 0 0%
Celebrity Rehab: Talent Show 0 0%
Closing: Bobby & Cast/TDPTTM Outtakes 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/29/2008, 10:15 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

There will be a new Episodes with the E! Reality show "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" and it looks really funny.

Old 03/29/2008, 10:18 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Poll is up. Once again, don't forget to submit your full reviews.

Old 03/29/2008, 10:50 PM

Juno II: Juno was Pretty funny, it was not the sketch of the night but it was ok, Crista Flanagan play the part well just like the real one. C-

Barack Obama & Oprah: "O": What can i say awesome one, Daheli Hall did Amazing, she did the Oprah Perfect and of course Keegan is doing the best job and i am believe he should get Male Cast member of the year anyways, the was one of the best of the night A+

Minnesota Governor Aaron Castel Resigns: This Sketch was done in front of a live audience and finally Arden did something important in the show, Michael McDonald did a terrific job but if it was not for Crista the sketch would have been not that good B+

Animation: Fun with Clip Art: This was Pretty Funny, but what more can i say it was a clip, lol C-

Celebrity Rehab: Introduction: Ok, the 2nd Best Sketch tonight, Michael did great, Nicole, Keegan, Crista, Dan, Jordan, Daheli, Bobby all did a great job..Johnny Ruin it i cannot stand Johnny he always ruins everything. He should be voted worst Cast member of the show anyways, this Sketch did Great and it should be in the candidate for best Sketch of the year A-

Celebrity Rehab: New Arrival: Nicole Parker was the best Part of this Sketch A+

The Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man: Hillary Clinton: What a Amazing Honor it is too see one of Michael Characters Back on Ol' Mad TV Screen, This Sketch was GOOD writing and once again Nicole did a great Job. A+

Red Carpet: American Idol - Top 12: Like i said i am starting to like Arden now this season, unlike Season 11 and Season 12 where she was horrible making it is the different location thing she has been great or something but she is doing a great job. Bobby Lee did nothing in this Interview and i am surprised..lol C-

Race Ghost: The BEST Sketch in Like HISTORY who ever wrote that needs a freaking EMMY or WGA award because that was perfect Nicole tried not to sound racist..it was awesome. AAA+ (BEST SKETCH OF THE NIGHT)

The Cameraman with the Beard Ghost: The BEST sketch of the night, Nicole did Amazing and Crista did Great, the sketch proved to be the best one of the night i loved the way Nicole said he died 2 years ago and the camera zooms in...Awesome AAA+ (BEST SKETCH OF THE NIGHT)

REALsports with Bryant Gumbel: Roger Clemens: It was ok not that funny, so yeah D-

Celebrity Rehab: Talent Show: No, it was not that great i believe it should end Better C

Closing: Bobby & Cast/TDPTTM Outtakes: Awesome Ending it, and this new look and new Camera Format is great.. A+

OVERALL THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE IN THE SEASON AS OF RIGHT NOW AND I BELIEVE SEASON 14 IS COMING, ALSO KEEGAN SHOULD WIN BEST MALE OF THE NIGHT AND BEST FEMALE OF COURSE NICOLE, BUT OVERALL IT WAS A A+ SHOW AND I HOPE WE SEE MORE GHOST SKETCHES BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD

Old 03/29/2008, 11:55 PM
Obsessed!

ah! I missed it and forgot to call home and have them tivo it for when I come home from school!

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 03/30/2008, 1:51 AM
Fresh Meat

Hahaha. They were listening to MadTV's paroady of Ashlee Simpson.
Old 03/30/2008, 1:55 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I actually watched this episode as it happened, and there were some moments where I genuinely laughed out loud.

The worst sketch of the night, for me, goes to REALsports. It didn't bring as many laughs, and I don't find Oster to be all that funny yet. Celebrity Rehab was hit and miss, but Nicole's Ashely Tisdale "I'm A Slut" music video was worth it, and Arden's Blossom was amazingly disgusting. Arden impressed me this episode, but I'm always down for anything Arden.

Even the simple Clip Art sketch had me laughing. Granted, that kind of humor might not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it. If I can get the torrent of this episode, me thinks a new avatar will be created from that sketch.

Overall, a good episode compared to the others this season. Just enough normal laughs, mixed with WTF laughs, and enough Nicole to satisfy our Parker Quota.
Old 03/30/2008, 8:31 AM
Fresh Meat

Who played Shelly on the Celebrity Rehab skit? I missed the opening skit, so not sure if they showed her close up, but that looked a lot like her in the others.
Old 03/30/2008, 8:32 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I'll post the WHO/WHAT and my full review some time during the week, but for now let me just say that this episode was a HUGE improvement over the last 7. I'm under the impression that MADtv took the harsh criticisms seriously (i.e. using the original format) and finally did something about it. They have four more chances to improve even more, so whatever they did for episode #1312, they need to keep doing it for the remainder of the season.

Old 03/30/2008, 8:58 AM
Hardcore Fan

Great show, really big improvement.
Old 03/30/2008, 9:47 AM
Season 14 is Here!

Transcribed Sketches:
All of these will be transcripted by the end of the week.

Last edited by Dot's Boyfriend; 04/05/2008 at 8:14 PM.
Old 03/30/2008, 12:50 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Oh, man.

While this wasn't the out of the park episode it needed to be, it was REALLY well-done. They FINALLY got the format right. After 12 episodes, they finally got it right. They beautifully transitioned between the pre-shot sketches and the stage sketches. I didn't even know the congressman sketch was shot on stage until they showed it. There was no filler either, except for maybe the AI red carpet.

I wasn't too crazy about the shots of the theater, but it was pretty minimal. This episode truly gave me hope that the show can pull through this season. If they keep this up, there very well could be a Season 14. Good job, MADtv!

Old 03/30/2008, 4:09 PM
His senses were dimmed

I really liked this episode. It was the 2nd that I have seen from season 13...

I think that it might have spoiled Juno for me though... bastards!
I liked the featured cast too. I plan to watch the season from the start once I have time. I like the Oprah impression a lot and it seemed almost the exact same as Debra's which is a good thing.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 03/30/2008, 6:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobio View Post
Who played Shelly on the Celebrity Rehab skit? I missed the opening skit, so not sure if they showed her close up, but that looked a lot like her in the others.
If you're referring to Blossom, that would be Arden Myrin.

Old 03/31/2008, 7:57 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Young Hollywood did another segment on MADtv, this time covering the Oprah and Obama sketch:

Young Hollywood: Oprah & Obama Get Low to Flo Rida
I should be able to post a full review later today, since I finally worked out how to get torrents to work. First episode from this season I will get to watch in full! yay!

Old 03/31/2008, 9:45 AM

Yeah i saw that, the funny part is how Oprah is crossed eyed , it is funny
Old 03/31/2008, 9:57 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Juno II: Even though I haven't seen the film, I thought this was great, and Crista and Dan did great impressions of Ellen Page and Michael Cera, respectively (even if they don't look alot like them). Loved the singalong.

Barack Obama and Oprah: My least favourite of the 3 Obama sketches that have been shown so far, but that could be because the previous sketch was only like, one of the greatest MADtv sketches of all time. Besides, I think that's enough singing for one presidential candidate -- he sang in the "Democratic Woman of the Year" sketch, "Under Barack Obama" and now this. As far as Daheli's Oprah impression is concerned - YOWZA did she look freakish. Her mouth was open the entire time as well, making her look like she was ready to inhale Obama. Vocally, the impression was good (from what I could tell, considering the vocals were pre-recorded). Looks wise, not so much. I'm expecting a parody of "Oprah's Big Give" this season, at any rate.

Minnesota Governer Aaron Castel Resigns: Good use of the stage, but this was only ok. Crista's responses saved it from being truly dull, but I expect that was the whole point of the sketch.

Fun with Clip Art: Coming in at under a minute long, this is filler I don't mind seeing.

Celebrity Rehab #1-3: Liked these alot, and loved seeing a full-cast sketch. VH1 provides the perfect shows for MADtv to parody, complete with whatever completely irrelevant impressions the cast can pull out. I liked all of the impressions, except Dan's Jeff Conaway. I would have preferred less of him, and more of Daheli's Macy Gray. Arden as "Blossom" didn't work for me either, because I liked Blossom. She looked really freaky though. And Crista's Aaron Carter was hilarious.

DPTTM: Never liked this character, didn't like this sketch although it was one of the better sketches from him. It's sad that this is one of the few characters that works perfectly in this new format, but bleh. I did like the ending, though.

American Idol Top 12 Party: Blake Lewis was the best part of this. I didn't watch season 6, so I'm not that familiar with him, but at least he was a good sport, unlike the rest of this. Arden had a few good moments, like the Ezy Chick quip, calling herself a possum in the sack, etc... but how many times do we have to watch her resort to flirting with guys or referring to marriage when she can't think of something clever to say? Bobby was kind of just there, didn't do much.

Race Ghost: This was great, due to an excellent performance from Nicole. Predictable, only because I knew the title of the sketch when I was watching it.

The Cameraman with the Beard Ghost: This sketch felt really weird to watch, with the "sets" on the stage and the use of the green screen it felt reeallllly cheap. Crista was good here, but I couldn't get past how amateur this sketch felt. Even a show like All That had decent sets.

REALSport with Bryant Gumbel: Not funny, and completely unimportant to me, considering the whole incident surrounding this sketch is of no interest to me.

Close: Bless, cast interaction. The DPTTM bit brought up a valid question... when are we going to see a John McCain impression? And who of the two white males on the show would do it?

Final Thoughts: This episode proved that the show can still create a decent episode on no budget. It also proved, to me at least, that if the show is renewed for next season, it will return in its current incarnation. If they can appease the fans using this format, why spend all that extra money on an extremely expensive studio? I don't like the Music Box Theater format, and I don't know if anybody watching the show does, but if the show continues past S13, I'll get over it. I would love for them to film the occassion sketch on a sound stage, but I don't think that will ever happen. Anywho, this episode was above average, especially compared to most of what I've seen this season. MVP's were Crista and Nicole, as usual. Wasn't terribly impressed by Dan this episode, aside from the Juno sketch, and Johnny was okay. Daheli had a huge amount of facetime this episode. If it was her last one, at least she went out in style.

Old 03/31/2008, 3:59 PM
Administrator

Now that's more like it!

Old 03/31/2008, 6:26 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
It also proved, to me at least, that if the show is renewed for next season, it will return in its current incarnation. If they can appease the fans using this format, why spend all that extra money on an extremely expensive studio?
I disagree. I do think this episode really showed that they could successfully pull of the theater, but I think that's only because they may have gotten the remaining budget for the episodes that were cut. If they were to continue like this (which I doubt), they'd still need a bigger budget. Otherwise, they'd be padding the episodes with filler sketches like "Pancake house" from 1306.

Plus, the Music Box Theater is one of the most famous theaters in Los Angeles, so I don't know if it's necessarily less expensive to shoot there. They're likely spending (or rather, wasting) a lot of the budget on rental costs, which could be more effectively used on actual sketches.

More than anything, they'd likely cut the theater out entirely and shoot the episodes like 1309-1311 (though I'd rather not jinx it).

Quote:
Daheli had a huge amount of facetime this episode. If it was her last one, at least she went out in style.
This was only her third episode, so she still has one left. The thing that bothers me, though, is that she got more airtime in this one episode than Anjelah got in all four of hers combined.

Old 03/31/2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Post bw's Review of #1312

Juno II: The more I watch this, the more I find myself enjoying it, but like #1311's "The Ugly World of BBC News", despite being well-written, it lacked the requisite "pop" of a truly standout sketch. Clever, but once again, the laugh-out-loud moments were few and far between. On the bright side, this baby *did* feature a shot of Crista eating a hamburger, which I'm choosing to believe was for my benefit. This brought me great joy. Five stars! Okay, okay... maybe not. Before I deliver my actual rating, I have to ask: Did they whiteface her even further here? I feel like I should re-christen this sketch "The Juno II Ghost".

Barack Obama & Oprah: "O": Well, the song was catchy enough, the impressions were top-notch, but to borrow a line from Randy Jackson, the performance fell a little flat for me, dawg -- particularly during Daheli's opening verse, which was just plain awkward. Even the audience didn't seem to be digging this one, and given how much MAD's editors like to abuse their laugh track button in post-production, that's saying something. On the bright side -- and this time around, there isn't much of one -- it was nice to see Menina again. Looks like she's landed herself a regular gig.

Minnesota Governor Aaron Castel Resigns: The queen of facial gymnastics strikes again! Despite coming from such a tiny little 5'2" cutie-pie, I sure wouldn't want to run into this in a dark alley. Well-written topical humor, plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, intelligent usage of the theater (I guess there's a first time for everything!), spot-on casting of Michael, Dan, and particularly Crista, who shone as brightly as ever... what's not to like? If I had to level a criticism against this sketch, it would be that it simply wasn't my favorite of the episode, but that's hardly a bad thing; after all, as Connor MacLeod will tell you, there can be only one. Given that I'm unable to come up with anything else in the complaint department, I guess I have no choice but to award my highest possible rating (well, my highest possible rating until "Flanagan as Michelle Dessler in a Bikini vs. Wild" hits the airwaves, that is).

Animation: Fun with Clip Art: Another brilliant example of getting in, making your point, and getting out before you've worn out your welcome. "Fun with Clip Art" packed not just one, but *two* laugh-out-loud moments into the span of 40 seconds, and it's hard to complain about that. Best "animated" segment in years!

Celebrity Rehab: Introduction: Ah, here's where we hit the customary mid-episode tailspin. Joy. Fortunately, for perhaps the first time this season, this wouldn't be the last we'd hear from my good pal laughter. Anyway, I'm sure this was an accurate parody of the actual show and all, but how about a little less impression-reliant humor and a little more *actual* humor? Again, concept over comedy. If it weren't for Crista, Bobby, and "Super Slut", these segments would've been a complete and total waste of time.

Celebrity Rehab: New Arrival: Well, one thing's for certain -- Crista's got the skills to pay the bills!

The Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man: Hillary Clinton: Of all the characters you guys could've pulled out of the vault, Mofaz? Really? Seven years later, these sketches still do absolutely nothing for me. Frankly, I'd almost prefer to see Johnny Gan (note: "almost"), and that's saying something! Please, enough already.

Red Carpet: American Idol's Top 12 Party: Of all the cast members you guys could've paired with Arden, Bobby? Really? Sorry, Bobster, but if there's anyone on the cast I want to see beating off on national television, it's Crista. Uh, ahem... did I just type that out loud? Getting back to the topic at hand (if you'll pardon the extended pun), it appears I was right in my assessment that Arden's act is now officially stale. Sorry, my dear, but that "dying alone" bit just doesn't carry the same charm now that you're married. As for Bobby, not only did his presence serve to drag things down even further into the crapper, his much-touted dry-humping of Lamiele Lullaby was hardly the Oscar-worthy performance it was made out to be by the comedy connoisseurs over at E! Online. As such, I'd like to once again suggest that Crista be brought into the fold next time around. Believe it or not, I say that not because I'm cuckoo for Crista Puffs, but rather, because I believe her dry, eternally annoyed, "I'm a gloomy gus and everything angers me" act (that's an act, right? ) would be the perfect foil for Arden's bubbliness. Hey, she was present at the event anyway, so unless she specifically requested not to be included, why not let her loose? At any rate, because I'm a fan of American Idol, I'm giving this an extremely generous 2.5 stars, but let's go easy on the red carpet segments until we've found a pair capable of bringing the funny, shall we?

Race Ghost: Smart racial humor? On Season 13 of MADtv? Pardon me a moment while I give Satan a jingle to inquire about the current temperature down there in Hell. This could've benefitted from being a bit shorter, but it *was* fairly amusing throughout, and perhaps more importantly, it made for an *excellent* setup to the following sketch's punchline. One small suspension of disbelief beef, though: Why does Jordan care about who helped Nicole's character? Other than "because that's the best transition we were able to come up with", I can't think of a single reason why this conversation would've ever taken place. Still, good stuff overall.

The Cameraman with the Beard Ghost: I'm tempted to tally up the number of ways in which this sketch spoke to me, but I'm not sure I can count that high. The positive? Once again, there were plenty of laugh-out-loud moments here, the stage, once again, didn't have a negative impact, the starring role, once again, couldn't have been more perfectly cast, and all in all, this is about as close as they could've possibly come to once again giving me exactly what I wanted to see without working "24" in somewhere or removing a sizable portion of Crista's clothing. The negative? Well, if she was anyone else, this is the point at which I'd probably begin complaining about hair, makeup, and wardrobe's valiant attempt to make my girl look dumpy; fortunately, much like her chest, their efforts fell delightfully flat. Sorry, folks -- can't be done. Thanks for coming out, though! As for the thrilling conclusion, I probably should've seen it coming from a mile off, and because I didn't, this tells me that either a.) the sketch was very well-written, or b.) I needed sleep on Saturday night. The fact that I *did* need sleep aside, I might as well give the writers the benefit of the doubt at least once, right? Base score of five stars, minus ten for the smoking, and plus ten for the smile. Loved it!

REALsports with Bryant Gumbel: Roger Clemens: This sketch can be summed up in just four words: two minutes, two jokes. While I ended up enjoying it far, far more than I perhaps should have, that's not saying a whole lot. Again, don't get lazy on us, folks.

Celebrity Rehab: Talent Show: This was easily the worst of the batch, but thankfully, it was also the shortest.

Closing: Bobby & Cast/TDPTTM Outtakes: Worst sketch of the night, and of course, that's the one they choose to close with.

Overall: To summarize, then, no encores, no stand-up performances, no Rice & Beans, no bar talk, plenty of Crista, not a whole lot of Bobby, and two(!) five-star sketches. Somehow, not only did they manage to elude each of the negative modifiers I outlined in my #1311 review, they've also qualified for my lone positive one -- twice, no less! This isn't exactly rocket science, folks, but after the first eleven suicide-inducingly awful episodes of the season, it's hard not to be impressed all the same. Again, there's still plenty of room for improvement, but for the first time since S12, I'm pleased to report that, as a whole, I actually enjoyed this week's episode. Go figure. My advice from here? Hit it even further out of the park next week. Base score of 6 + (0.5 * 2) = 7/10. Given that each and every one of my final scores up to this point should, in all rights, be dropped by 25-50%, that's not too shabby at all!

Episode MVP: Whether the rest of you want to admit it or not, this episode was all Crista's, and because she won the week by such an overwhelming margin, I see absolutely no point in qualifying that statement any further. Accept it or die.

Old 04/01/2008, 9:22 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Hey Gang, the WHO/WHAT for #1312 is finally up. Let me know if you spot anything that needs tweaking. I'll post my full review some time soon.