Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1309?
Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend" 7 14.00%
Dan Oster's "24" Parody 4 8.00%
Claymation: Auditions - Chemistry 0 0%
Dragon Hunter II Mo-Cap Session 17 34.00%
Commercial: Prison Break 0 0%
Fantastico de la Television! 2 4.00%
Criss Angel Mindfreak: Flavor Flav 6 12.00%
MAD Encore: A Helping Hand (#1117) 2 4.00%
Chinese Toy Inspector 4 8.00%
Claymation: Auditions - Fight Scene 0 0%
Sista Revolution: Alphabetology of Love 5 10.00%
Rice & Beans Tour - Part IV 0 0%
Claymation: Auditions - Love 0 0%
MAD Encore: Stuart Gets New Shoes (#906) 2 4.00%
Closing: Chinese Toy Inspector Outtakes 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/02/2008, 11:29 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
And BW it looks like your wish has come true because Crista gets airtime next week
We don't get the promos here in Canada. What's coming up?

Old 02/02/2008, 11:56 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
We don't get the promos here in Canada. What's coming up?
I don't remember exactly what goes on in the sketch from the promo cause at that time I got a phone call. But from what I recall, Crista and Bobby do something related to charity--and as usual it involves Crista slapping Bobby around. It's a remote sketch on the beach, and I think the promo should be up soon this week.

Old 02/03/2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Well, I guess that's a start. To be satisfied, though, I'm going to need a LOT more than three starring roles over six episodes.

Old 02/03/2008, 1:05 AM
Fresh Meat

The Good: Avril and Lil Mama (although I couldn't understand much of what the new girl was saying), Dragon Hunter 2, Prison Break, Michael's Abs, no Ford theater banter

The Bad: Dan Oster, Showing a Mad Classic in the first half hour and pretending like it's a new sketch, Sister Revolution, Beans, Classic Stuart (at least not pretending like it was a new sketch), Dan Oster

The Ugly: Claymation, Fantastico whatever, Bobby's ding dong in that green suit
Old 02/03/2008, 1:06 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Wow. That was SO much better than the last four episodes, combined.

Hell, there was more content in the first fifteen minutes than there was in each of the last four episodes, and more in the first thirty than all four put together.

THIS is how the show should be done for the rest of the season. Cut out all the stage BS, and just air the sketches straight. Although, I was a little disappointed that Daheli didn't get an introduction sketch.

Even though they had an Encore (which they re-named "MADtv Classic" again), even though the 24 and Fantastico sketches didn't make sense, it was still a good episode. We even got animated skits! It was essentially a Season 12 episode in Season 13, and that is ALWAYS a good thing.

Unfortunately, it probably won't be like that for much longer. They probably used up five or six episodes worth of content in these three new episodes.

Old 02/03/2008, 1:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheSeal View Post
The Bad: Dan Oster, Showing a Mad Classic in the first half hour and pretending like it's a new sketch, Sister Revolution, Beans, Classic Stuart (at least not pretending like it was a new sketch), Dan Oster
Not a fan of "24", eh?

Quote:
The Ugly: Claymation, Fantastico whatever, Bobby's ding dong in that green suit
Yeah, that didn't leave much to the imagination, did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
Although, I was a little disappointed that Daheli didn't get an introduction sketch.
Technically, she did -- she just happened to be in character at the time. For the benefit of those who aren't already aware, Sista Revolution was ripped directly from Daheli's stand-up act.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it probably won't be like that for much longer. They probably used up five or six episodes worth of content in these three new episodes.
If #1312 continues in this vein, I will personally make MADfan eat his own shoe.

Old 02/03/2008, 8:30 AM
zlolz

I guess I'm the only one who really disliked it then. I mean, I loved how it was in the format of Season 12, but the sketches weren't even near Season 12 quality for me, and weren't much better then the sketches in #1305-1308. In fact, sketch-wise, I think I preferred 1308 and 1305.

Old 02/03/2008, 8:38 AM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
I guess I'm the only one who really disliked it then. I mean, I loved how it was in the format of Season 12, but the sketches weren't even near Season 12 quality for me, and weren't much better then the sketches in #1305-1308. In fact, sketch-wise, I think I preferred 1308 and 1305.
No Rurry I agree with you, this episode wasn't nearly as good as a Season 12 episode, but I did like the new bumpers, hopefully they stick to the format, but it's probably because they were making frankenstien episodes and the live crappy format will return after the writer's strike.

Old 02/03/2008, 9:42 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I think this episode was decent. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. The best thing is that it felt like the older days of MADtv in terms of format. I was shocked when I saw the claymation which is a nice thing to thrown in but it wasn't that great. If we're lucky, with these 3 episodes airing (1309-1311) maybe MADtv will get its reality check and realize that this format works much better.

Old 02/03/2008, 3:25 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

I didn't care for the last two animated sketches, although it's good to have animation back in any form, I guess. The "Prison Break" sketch is about the fifteen zillionth "oh my God, TV is so predictable" sketch in "MADtv" history (physical, heal thyself ), but I guess it's no better or worse than any other parody of that ilk. Pretty much everything else, though, is spot-on; and not coincidentally, the two best moments come from the peerless Bobby Lee. (Deny it all you want, fooz. ) I can forgive the two encores, which were obviously included to pad out the episode and (in Case #2) to placate me for whining about Nicole Sullivan's absence and its sagging effect on my genitalia. (They really DO care! ) I'll try to do a full review later; but for now, I just wanted to do a little initial opining. The fact that I fundamentally disagree with Rurry yet again is just a nice bonus.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/04/2008, 6:53 AM
Administrator

Does anyone else plan to submit a full review? I realize most of you have completely given up at this point, but if we don't provide feedback, they'll never learn.

Old 02/05/2008, 3:34 AM
Casual Fan

hi, i am new as well on this board, but i watch madtv since i'm little

and since i unfortunately don't live in the u.s. this fox on demand thingy won't work...
and i couldn't find the newest episode on torrent either
does someone know another place i can download it from or a site where i can watch it online?
Old 02/05/2008, 7:52 AM
Administrator

Post bw's Review of #1309

Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend": The problem I have with this video (and, by extension, S13 as a whole) is that, once again, the writers have incorrectly assumed that coming up with a mildly amusing concept absolves them of their responsibility to actually write jokes. "Easy-target celebrity? Check. Someone of a differing race? Check. Hey, whaddaya know... this thing is writing itself!!" Unfortunately, to be satisfied, I, for one, am going to need more than a bullet list of black stereotypes and the ways in which Avril Lavigne needs improvement. There were a few genuinely funny lines in here, the concept was acceptable, the song selection was top-notch, and the casting of Arden as Avril couldn't have been more spot-on, but on the whole, this just didn't contain enough substance to allow for anything higher than a 2.5-star rating.

Dan Oster's "24" Parody: First off, I simply *must* comment on Johnny's Tony Almeida. Like Bobby, no matter what they do with this guy in wardrobe and makeup, he's never going to look like anyone but himself; that said, if he continues to display the knack for mimicry that he has thus far, it (almost) doesn't even matter. Flawless, dead-on impression. Kudos, Johnny! Drop the racial "humor", and there may be hope for you yet! As for the sketch, there's a lot to like here if you're a "24" fan -- the Ted Cofell reference (Serbian deathknot), the S4 premiere references (table toss, gunshot to the knee), the ceaseless damning of "it" -- but I can't help but wonder how the non-tainted reacted. If Sammy is any indication, not well. As a standalone piece of work, this baby is probably worth no more than 3.5 stars, but, being the "24" nutjob I am, I can't bring myself to give it any less than 4.5. Had Crista appeared as Michelle -- and so help me "God", as long as she and Oster are around, I will *NEVER* shut up about this until it happens -- I suspect I would've flouted our rating system entirely and awarded a six! Start working on your best deep-yet-womanly voice, dearie. Even if I have to personally move down to Los Angeles and become a writer for the show (or, failing that, threaten its existing writers with a 14-way Serbian deathknot), this *will* happen.

Claymation: Auditions - Chemistry: Well well... what do we have here? Could it really be the return of animation!? What a pleasant surprise! Sadly, as these segments prove, living up to the legendary animation of years past is going to be damn near impossible; the bar has been set, and until it's met or surpassed, fan reaction is sure to remain less than ideal. The good news? Even dead air is borderline preferable to the filler we've had shoveled down our gullets by the truckload this season, so this is just icing on the cake! At any rate, "Chemistry" was easily my favorite of the trilogy, but "Fight Scene" and "Love" both fell within the boundaries of acceptability as well.

Dragon Hunter II Mo-Cap Session: Well, the premise was shaky, the ending was non-existent, the sketch as a whole was just plain stupid, and yet... this worked. Laughter talks, and, though it pains me to admit, laughter is exactly what was delivered here. Good stuff! On a (by now, most assuredly predictable) side-note, though, why wasn't the extra listed in the opening credits? After all, he was given just as much to do as Crista this week!

Commercial: Prison Break: Any show that fulfills its titular promise by the end of its first season, and yet, keeps coming back year after year, I suppose, is deserving of a good ribbing. These promo commercials have never done much for me, and while this one is no different in that regard, the bright side is that there isn't much to complain about here. Solid.

Fantastico de la Television!: As a social commentary, this sketch succeeds; unfortunately, as a sketch, its failure knows no bounds. Again, no matter how brilliant you believe your concept to be, without the jokes to back it up, you have nothing. Don't get lazy on us, folks.

Criss Angel Mindfreak: Flavor Flav: I was hoping for more parts Crista Angel than Criss here, but I suppose you can't win 'em all (or *any* of 'em, as the case may be). Anyway, I can't speak to the accuracy of McDonald's impression -- never seen "Mindfreak", probably never will -- but one thing's for certain: Jordan's Flavor Flav is off the hook, boieeeeeeeee! The budget made this look like something just about anyone could've shot in their backyard with a Handycam, but again, laughter talks, and thanks almost entirely to Jordan, laughter was once again delivered.

Chinese Toy Inspector: After thoroughly stinking up the first four episodes of S13, Bobby strikes back with not one, but *two* top-tier performances -- well, by his standards, at least. Make no mistake -- the time has come for the others to get their fair share of the spotlight as well, but if he's going to continue dominating the show week after week, *this* is the Bobby Lee I want to see from now on!

Claymation: Auditions - Fight Scene:

Sista Revolution: Alphabetology of Love: For me, this was another so-so new cast member introduction. I mean, I don't have any complaints with it, per se -- it's just not something I'm able to fully get behind at this point in Daheli's tenure. Too in-your-face right out of the gate, I guess. We'll see how she fares in the future.

Rice & Beans Tour - Part IV: I'm sure you all know the drill by now. Pass.

Claymation: Auditions - Love:

Closing: Chinese Toy Inspector Outtakes: Hey, you can't go wrong with outtakes!

Overall: If I were asked to sum up #1309 in a single word, "underwhelming" is surely the first thing that would come to mind. This week's (strike-induced) format change has (temporarily, at least) brought MADtv back to where it needs to be to succeed, but without even a single top-tier sketch of which to speak -- keeping in mind, of course, that my "24" rating was tainted to some degree -- you can't help but come off this episode feeling a little numb. If a calculated effort *was*, indeed, made here to get the show back on track, great start; if, however, these changes are simply soon-to-be-reverted strike placeholders, well, I wish you all the best of luck in finding new jobs come June. My advice? Stick with this format, ditch the theater entirely, begin pouring its rental fees into sketches, continue closing with outtakes until S14, don't forget that a good concept is wasted on poor material, send the gun-toting monkey after whoever came up with Rice & Beans, give Bobby a much-needed rest, and for the love of all that's holy, UTILIZE CRISTA! The sooner you guys realize that, budget constraints notwithstanding, everything that made S12 great is still at your disposal, the better off we'll all be. Until then, here's a 5.5/10 for (presumably) trying. Next week, the -1 for lack of Crista modifier returns, so don't make me use it!

Episode MVP: I'm tempted to hand this week to Bobby, but alas, Rice & Beans exists. Better luck next time! With him out of the picture, we're left with a close battle between Dan and Jordan, and since we've already seen all that Flavor Flav has to offer, I'm making Dan my MVP of #1309. Hire this damnit man, damnit!

Old 02/05/2008, 10:21 AM
zlolz

Alright, here's my sad attempt at a full review

Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend": The music videos have been the saving grace of S13, but this one was pretty weak. The concept was questionable and the execution horrible. I agree with BW that a lot of the sketches this season seem to have a concept but no excecution. Except in this case, the concept, was IMO, mediocre at best. Daheli and Arden perform well, proving yet again that this cast is much stronger then the crap they're being given.

Dan Oster's "24" Parody: Dan really disappointed me here. His opening sketch in 1308 was awesome, but this was pretty much the definition of stupid. I mean, questioning a monkey? Really? There were probably a lot of references to 24 I didn't get, but overall this was messy and just generally unfunny.

Claymation: Auditions - Chemistry: Wow, claymation! This episode really is in the format of S12. This isn't great, but it isn't horrible, and it's nice just to see Claymation back. Obviously not up to the standard of the classics or even the top-tier S12 animation (Toby), but it's ok.

Dragon Hunter II Mo-Cap Session: Not exactly sure what the fuss is about this sketch - I didn't really like it, at all. Stupid premise and it ran way too long. Masturbation humor doesn't do it for me. A joke is alright, but an entire sketch about it?

Commercial: Prison Break: To quote mizz: "Been there, done that."

Fantastico de la Television!: Like BW said, another example of having a concept but having absolutely zero jokes to back it up with. I'm sorry to say MADtv, but satire doesn't work unless you actually have reasons and jokes to back it up. One minute of a bunch of people looking serious and then showing Mexicans partying does not equal "clever social commentary".

Criss Angel Mindfreak: Flavor Flav: Now this was a pretty clever sketch at parts. Jordan's Flavor Flav mostly saved it, but it was nice to see more of the cast, and the whole "we didn't rehearse this!" joke was funny. I laughed the hardest at the whole shower curtain thing then anything else from this ep.

Chinese Toy Inspector: Hey, this is that "Sometimes I do" guy from the North Korean missels sketch last year. I...was really hoping he wouldn't be recurred. Although the "Sometimes I do" line got old pretty fast, Bobby actually performed well here, making this a pretty decent sketch.

Claymation: Auditions - Fight Scene: Again, not great, not horrible. Happy to see claymation back.

Sista Revolution: Alphabetology of Love: Meh, Daheli showed some potential here, but as a whole it wasn't anything groundbreaking, and it definitely didn't wow me. Still, it gave me a few laughs. Another not-terrible-but-nothing-special sketch.

Rice & Beans Tour - Part IV: No.

Claymation: Auditions - Love: See the other two.

Overall: Format-wise, this was a step in the right direction. Comedy-wise, this was no better then the previous four episodes, and arguably not even as funny as 1305 and 1308. What this felt like was a very bad Season 1-3 or 12 episode. Crista is still non-existent and Nicole and Keegan seems to be joining her in underutilized territory, the newbies still aren't really delivering (but that may fall on the writing), and the writing is still at Season 7-10 level (if not worse). This wasn't as bad as 1306 and 1307, but it still was mediocre at best, writing-wise. Keep this format, improve the writing, and maybe we'll talk. Whatever you do, don't go back to the faux MADtv format when the strike ends. Basically, this episode felt like MADtv, but a crappy episode of MADtv.

5/10

Last edited by Rurry; 02/11/2008 at 6:25 PM.
Old 02/05/2008, 5:43 PM
Administrator

That's more like it. Keep 'em comin', folks!

Old 02/06/2008, 1:21 AM
Staff Alumnus

Huh-huh, "titular."

This may not be my wittiest review, but at 2:30 in the morning, this is as good as it gets.

Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend" -- If I have to endure Arden for a third season, then I suppose it's only right to expect her to be funny at times. While I won't be writing her fan letters any time soon, I found this parody to be perfectly acceptable. Sure, "MADtv" has done this sort of thing countless trillions of times before -- "Gap Ad" (S9), I'm looking at you -- but any reason to make fun of [SARCASM]tarza's favorite singer[/SARCASM], Anvil Latrine, works for me. The reference to Toni Basil's "Mickey" made me laugh, too. I mean, if you're going to swipe riffs from an '80s song, then at least pick one that doesn't inspire the fingers-down-a-chalkboard sentiment in most listeners.

Dan Oster's "24" Parody -- Damn it, I can't believe I'm...damn it...saying this about...damn it...Dan Oster, because bw will just...damn it...say, "I told you so"; but this was...damn it...hilarious! While I'm not ready to hand him the "best noob" award yet -- again, my inner jury is still deliberating -- I think this may damn (it) well be the funniest sketch so far this year from a new cast member. Damn it! (On a side note to the writers, I'm pleading here, folks: no more "I wet myself" jokes. )

Claymation: Auditions - Chemistry -- In the spirit of any-animation-is-better-than-no-animation, I'll give this a thumbs-up, especially since it's the only one of the three segments from this ep that I actually found funny. No, it ain't Season 1, but at least you get squeezed honkers and a surprise twist at the end.

Dragon Hunter II Mo-Cap Session -- And now I'd like to insert a little of my own I-told-you-so: if there's another cast member besides Bobby who could have made this sketch as hilarious, then I'd love to hear some names. (No, actually, I wouldn't; just keep them to yourselves. ) Even though the extended double entendre -- huh-huh, "extended" -- is dumber than a lobotomized Hilton sister, that's the beauty of the sketch. After a comparatively disappointing S12 for Bobby, he's bringin' da goods in lucky Numbah Thuhteen! And yes, Dan's very funny too -- just can it.

Commercial: Prison Break -- If I never see another parody like this, then I'll be happier than a pig in shit. Hell, the writers couldn't even spell Chaka Khan's name correctly. Oh well, it's no better or worse than any other such parody, I guess.

Fantastico de la Television -- While I agree that much more could have been done to make this premise funnier, I wasn't that disgruntled by it. Besides, big boots worn as hats are funny; just ask Burt Reynolds.

Criss Angel Mindfreak: Flavor Flav -- Combine Jordan's funnest impression to date, a bunch of campy humor regarding the guests' supposed lack of knowledge, and a much-needed stab at a self-important illusionist; and we got fun, yo. Flaaaaaaaavorrrrrr....Yeah, you know the rest.

MAD Encore: A Helping Hand (#1117) -- Okay, I understand the need for encores to pad out the ep; but damn, at least pick one that was funny the first time around. Again, Nicole tries to save a crappy idea with her acting abilities, and there just aren't enough life preservers onboard this leaky canoe.
(2 for the original sketch, -1/2 for the encore)

Chinese Toy Inspector -- I liked this character in S12, but now I'm his biggest fan. Okay, so over time, "sometimes I do" would become his "look what I can do"; but as long as "MADtv" doesn't run a good thing into the ground (since when? ), I could handle a few more encores. Easily one of Bobby's strongest characterizations ever, with plenty of his patented sight gags and physical comedy to boot. Woot! Woot!

Claymation: Auditions - Fight Scene -- The first animated sketch was funny; this one wasn't. For more information, see my thoughts on the third sketch.

Sista Revolution: Alphabetology of Love -- It's deja vu all over again, Yogi Berra! Well, this time around, Daheli plays up the beat-poetry aspect of the sketch; so it's different enough from the online clip to net some new laughs from my oversized gut. I need to see what Daheli does outside this context, however, before I decide if my prediction about her is as true as I'm expecting...damn it!

Rice & Beans Tour - Part IV -- Even I'll admit that this segment didn't quite cut the hot mustard for the old geeze. There were a couple of funny moments -- "I could live inside your moustache," Johnny's sucking on Bobby's toes (even though I was expecting it) -- but it ain't nothing to write KOA Campground about.

Claymation: Auditions - Love -- The first animated sketch was funny; this one wasn't. For more information, see my thoughts on the second sketch. Oh, and dock another half-star.

MAD Encore: Stuart Gets New Shoes (#906) -- Can it honestly be a coincidence that the funniest Stuart sketches are the ones that feature Nicole Sullivan? (Tarza, ef, Kurt, and MADfan, that question was not directed at you. ) I'd forgotten how funny this is until I saw it again. [RHETORICAL ?]Did I need a writers'-strike-induced encore to remind me?[/RHETORICAL ?] Ah well, I'll take it for what it and dock it a half-star for being an encore -- oh, and another half-star for the little part that's edited out (although the rest of you no doubt consider any part of any Stuart sketch left on the cutting-room floor a good thing, to which I say that you're wrong, at least in this case, you hopelessly bitter, little people ).

Closing: Chinese Toy Inspector Outtakes -- Ah, and the closing finds our hero back on the assembly line as he saves the dolls on the conveyor belt from boxed hell. What a guy!
(although it's a closing segment, so the rating is relative)

So what does that average out to for my overall rating? Let me post this, and I'll get back to you.

*INTERMISSION (a.k.a. Hustler-and-lotion quickie time)*

EDIT: Meh, it's close enough to /5, maybe 4.25/5, although for thread-ranking purposes, we'll just go with the former. BTW, I agree that this format minus the theater crap works much, MUCH better. Filming versus videotaping definitely has an old-school "MADtv" vibe to it, although a mixture of the two (again, minus the theater) would be nice. Love ya, babes.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/06/2008, 8:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend" -- If I have to endure Arden for a third season, then I suppose it's only right to expect her to be funny at times. While I won't be writing her fan letters any time soon, I found this parody to be perfectly acceptable.
Ah, but was it 80% as good as the Obama video? In my mind, even 50% is pushing it. Four stars seems awfully, awfully generous -- especially in light of your "Make Some Changes" rating a few weeks back.

Quote:
Dan Oster's "24" Parody -- Damn it, I can't believe I'm...damn it...saying this about...damn it...Dan Oster, because bw will just...damn it...say, "I told you so"; but this was...damn it...hilarious!
Jeez, do you really think I would stoop so low? That I'm that petty? That I have nothing better to do with my time than wave my many accomplishments around in the faces of others? Well, sir, I'm insulted!

Quote:
Dragon Hunter II Mo-Cap Session -- And now I'd like to insert a little of my own I-told-you-so: if there's another cast member besides Bobby who could have made this sketch as hilarious, then I'd love to hear some names.
Biases aside, none come to mind -- past *or* present. If there's one kind of role at which Bobby excels, this is certainly it, but I think even you'd agree that's due more in part to his goofy persona than his acting ability.

Quote:
Fantastico de la Television -- While I agree that much more could have been done to make this premise funnier, I wasn't that disgruntled by it.
I wasn't *that* disgruntled by it either -- I just don't believe the comedic equivalent of a cartoon from "The New Yorker" should be eating up two entire minutes of MADtv.

Oh, and by the way... I told you so!

Old 02/06/2008, 9:25 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Ah, but was it 80% as good as the Obama video? In my mind, even 50% is pushing it. Four stars seems awfully, awfully generous -- especially in light of your "Make Some Changes" rating a few weeks back.
Hmm, a creative ripping of someone who hasn't been the target of much prodding in the past or a creative retread of the same two and a half Britney jokes? Easy call for me. Besides, I gave the Avril parody only half a star more than "MSC," so what are you fussing about? As for comparisons with Obama, it's not my fault that four stars are 80% of a five-star rating. Contrary to rumors of my being older than recorded history, I didn't make up the rules of math. I'm sure I'd remember if I did, or so I hope.

Quote:
Biases aside, none come to mind -- past *or* present. If there's one kind of role at which Bobby excels, this is certainly it, but I think even you'd agree that's due more in part to his goofy persona than his acting ability.
Okay, so Bobby probably won't be compared with Olivier any time soon, but do we really want to get into a convo about acting ability?

Quote:
Oh, and by the way... I told you so!
Yeah, yeah, the final chapter on Daheli is far from etched in stone, pal. Just...just...quit picking on me.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/07/2008, 5:31 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Avril Lavigne & Lil Mama: "Black Friend": The problem I have with this video (and, by extension, S13 as a whole) is that, once again, the writers have incorrectly assumed that coming up with a mildly amusing concept absolves them of their responsibility to actually write jokes. "Easy-target celebrity? Check. Someone of a differing race? Check. Hey, whaddaya know... this thing is writing itself!!" Unfortunately, to be satisfied, I, for one, am going to need more than a bullet list of black stereotypes and the ways in which Avril Lavigne needs improvement. There were a few genuinely funny lines in here, the concept was acceptable, the song selection was top-notch, and the casting of Arden as Avril couldn't have been more spot-on, but on the whole, this just didn't contain enough substance to allow for anything higher than a 2.5-star rating.
While I agree with this to some extent, three things deem this parody completely acceptable in my eyes. 1) Avril Lavigne and Lil Mama actually *did* release a colaborative version of this song, which can be viewed here (complete with bike riding - yikes). 2) Avril's attempts to find an image that works for her is ripe for parody, and her collaboration with a rapper while dressed as a punk rocker is, in my opinion, the best time to do a parody (keeping in mind that this parody was intended to be aired in December 07, not February 08). 3) Avril was sued for copyright by a band who released a song called "I don't like your boyfriend," and soon after the remixed version was released. Coincidence?

I don't think the parody was over-reliant on black stereotypes either, even if it was called "I have a black friend," I think it was more aimed at her attempts to be a credible/edgy/original artist, which she is always called out for.

I would give it .5 stars, 2.5 for parody and an extra star for some really good performances by Arden and Daheli.

Old 02/07/2008, 7:27 AM
Administrator

This week's episode summary is now available. Thanks, G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Okay, so Bobby probably won't be compared with Olivier any time soon, but do we really want to get into a convo about acting ability?
Careful, mizz -- in all my years on this spinning blue globe of ours, I don't think I've ever seen a glass house quite so rickety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
While I agree with this to some extent, three things deem this parody completely acceptable in my eyes...
Wow. Way to piss all over a catchy tune, Avril.

Well, as a straight up parody, I might be willing to tack on an extra .5 for concept, but the fact remains that said concept is being used as a crutch here in the place of solid writing. If the show is to ever re-establish itself as must-see programming, any concept incapable of being fully fleshed out *must* be scrapped -- it's just that simple.

Quote:
I don't think the parody was over-reliant on black stereotypes either...
Never said it was. See the second half of the sentence you're referencing.