Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1308?
Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton: "Obama" 21 39.62%
Introducing Dan Oster 3 5.66%
Coach Hines: Post-Game Press Conference 8 15.09%
The Dangerous Jobs Channel 0 0%
My Life on the D-List: Entertaining the Troops 2 3.77%
Commercial: The New AT&T 2 3.77%
Rice & Beans Tour - Part III 0 0%
Bon Qui Qui at King Burger 14 26.42%
Adam Talks to the Police 2 3.77%
Stand-Up Performance: Jon Reep 1 1.89%
Closing: Bobby & Cast 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/18/2007, 3:10 AM
Domo Arigato, Mrs. Roboto
Content Robot

Post Episode S13E08 (Aired 2007-11-24)

Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton: "Obama"
Hillary Clinton (Nicole Parker) and Barack Obama (Keegan-Michael Key) star in a parody of Rihanna's "Umbrella", in which Hillary Clinton talks about how, despite the fact that she's beating him in the polls, she would like to literally get under Barack Obama and make love to him.

Credits: Nicole Parker (Hillary Clinton), Keegan-Michael Key (Barack Obama)

Introducing Dan Oster
MADtv's newest cast member, Dan Oster, introduces himself to MADtv by revealing that he's a successful romance novelist and reading a selection from one of his novels. However, the novel turns out to be crude, explicit, and over-the-top, which leads to the conclusion that Dan has never had sex before. [Intro provided by Arden Myrin.]

Credits: Dan Oster (himself), Bobby Lee (himself)

Coach Hines: Post-Game Press Conference
Coach Hines (Keegan-Michael Key) holds a press conference with the students to discuss the football team's recent loss. However, he soon realizes that no one is actually interested in the football game when the questions he is asked in the press conference have nothing to do with football, and he loses his temper, as usual. But when he actually starts answering questions about the game, he loses his temper even more.

Credits: Keegan-Michael Key (Coach Hines), Bobby Lee (Yamanashi), Jordan Peele (LaPrince), Johnny Sanchez (Morales)

The Dangerous Jobs Channel
A commercial promotes a new cable channel called "The Dangerous Jobs Channel", which features 24 hours of programming about jobs such as "volcano postman", "gator inseminator", and "Grizzly Country meat deliverer".

Credits: Keegan-Michael Key (Volcano Postman, Grizzly County Meat Deliverer), Johnny Sanchez (Gator Inseminator)

My Life on the D-List: Entertaining the Troops
In a deleted scene from "My Life on the D-List", Kathy Griffin and Michael go to Iraq to entertain the troops. However, things go downhill quickly when Michael brings booze and drugs with him and sells Kathy for pills, Kathy mistakes a terrorist meeting for a gay pride festival, and Michael and Kathy's show gets cancelled due to low interest.

Credits: Kathy Griffin (herself), Michael McDonald (himself), Keegan-Michael Key (Iraqi Native), Johnny Sanchez (Terrorist)

Commercial: The New AT&T
A reporter covering the 2008 election talks about how he gets service everywhere the job takes him, including in his own home, Pinchaloafandcamaltoniosaggyassfartandpoopyopolis.

Credits: Dan Oster (Reporter)

Rice & Beans Tour - Part III
In this installment of the Rice and Beans tour, Bobby and Johnny travel to Branson, Missouri, and visit the historic Titanic museum, but the museum winds up being less then interesting for them, and in some cases, downright scary.

Credits: Bobby Lee (himself), Johnny Sanchez (himself)

Bon Qui Qui at King Burger
Bon Qui Qui (Anjelah Johnson), a lazy cashier at a fast food restaurant called King Burger, annoys her boss, Mr. Williams (Michael McDonald) by being rude to her customers and even going as far as calling security on all of the ones who have complicated orders. Things get even worse when her friend Duayne visits (Keegan-Michael Key) and she raps with him over the intercom instead of working.

Credits: Anjelah Johnson (Bon Qui Qui), Crista Flanagan (Customer #1), Bobby Lee (Customer #2), Arden Myrin (Customer #3), Michael McDonald (Mr. Williams), Keegan-Michael Key (Duayne)

Adam Talks to the Police
The dysfunctional couple Adam and Jennifer returns. This time, the couple has gotten into a car accident - it appears Adam (Michael McDonald) has hit a tree. When Adam tries to explain the accident to a police officer (Keegan-Michael Key), Jennifer (Nicole Parker), as usual, interrupts him and criticizes his story-telling method. When the officer joins in with her, Adam loses his temper and reveals that he hit the tree on purpose, hoping to kill Jennifer, and gets himself arrested for attempted murder.

Credits: Michael McDonald (Adam), Nicole Parker (Jennifer), Keegan-Michal Key (Police Officer)

Stand-Up Performance: Jon Reep
Jon Reep performs his stand-up act for MADtv, which includes turning his belly button into a bagel, and in-depth descriptions of mens' gym locker rooms. [Intro provided by Nicole Parker.]

Credits: Jon Reep (himself)

Closing: Bobby & Cast
Bobby closes the show with the cast.

Credits: Bobby Lee (himself), Crista Flanagan (herself), Keegan-Michael Key (himself), Michael McDonald (himself), Arden Myrin (herself), Nicole Parker (herself), Jordan Peele (himself), Johnny Sanchez (himself), Anjelah Johnson (herself), Dan Oster (himself)

---

Starring:
  • Crista Flanagan (1A/0S/0W)
  • Keegan-Michael Key (6A/2S/0W)
  • Bobby Lee (5A/1S/1W)
  • Michael McDonald (3A/2S/1W)
  • Arden Myrin (1A/0S/0W)
  • Nicole Parker (2A/2S/0W)
  • Jordan Peele (1A/0S/0W)
  • Johnny Sanchez (4A/1S/1W)
Featuring:
  • Anjelah Johnson (1A/1S/1W)
  • Dan Oster (2A/2S/1W)
Guest Starring:
  • Kathy Griffin (1A/1S/0W)
  • Jon Reep (1A/1S/1W)
---

Legend:
  • (A)cting Credit
  • (S)tarring Credit
  • (W)riting Credit
  • Non-Speaking Role
---

As always, don't forget to submit your full review, vote for your favorite sketch, and rank this episode using our forum's thread rating feature. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Last edited by JustG; 05/09/2008 at 9:04 PM.

Old 11/18/2007, 9:01 AM
zlolz

The previews for this episode actually looked pretty decent. This BETTER be better then the two loads of crap that were #1306 and #1307 (i'm not even referring to it as the 300th episode.)

BTW, this is the last episode until the writers strike ends (although they're planning to negotiate after Thanksgiving, so it may be over before we know it. *knocks on wood* )

Old 11/18/2007, 12:06 PM
Obsessed!

I love Kathy Griffen...so I'll have high hopes for this one!!!!

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 11/18/2007, 1:26 PM
Bender: still great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
The previews for this episode actually looked pretty decent. This BETTER be better then the two loads of crap that were #1306 and #1307 (i'm not even referring to it as the 300th episode.)
But...you just did.

Old 11/18/2007, 1:35 PM
zlolz

Ignoring your LAME joke...

I can't wait for the Umbrella parody It BETTER be good.

Old 11/19/2007, 4:08 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

To be honest, I'll probably just YouTube the good stuff.

It isn't entirely the show's fault that it is so bad, they are doing what they can with what they are being given. They lost their studio, sets - everything. They are renting a freaking music venue in Hollywood because they have nowhere else to film. Everything else has to be rented out per sketch, which is why we are getting so few. It isn't entirely their fault, but the show is just NOT good or even mediocre anymore. It is horrible, IMO. The only thing that was good about the 300th episode was Debra and Mo's return and that was all due to their ability to improv because nothing was even written for them.

I really would be shocked if MADtv lasted past season 13. This isn't just speculation, it is being realistic. I have stuck with MADtv through some rocky years always saying that it will get better, but let's face it - it isn't going to at this point. It could have, but it is too late. I have some great memories of the show and its cast and I'll still watch all of the reruns. I'm sure I'll catch it here and there and YouTube the occasional funny stuff. They still have a few great cast members, such as Nicole Parker - but I'm not really interested in a variety show that is very mediocre at best and I kinda doubt the general public is either. I am done pretending that MADtv is going to improve or that it will some day even hold a candle to its former self. This is the pits, guys. FOX does not care about MADtv and they have given the show its final budget cut if you ask me.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 11/19/2007, 4:16 PM
zlolz

Is that really true? If it is, they should've just cancelled the show after Season 12, IMO...so they could've at least went out with a bang. The show COULD'VE improved, Season 12 showed that, but I guess the budget cuts killed them.

It really pisses me off that FOX did this, though.

Old 11/19/2007, 4:22 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

It's mostly the writer's strike and FOX's fault to blame. And you're absolutely right Cat about the show doing what they can with what they're being given. It sucks that they lost the old studio they used for 12 years: the sets and everything. FOX is to blame for that because of the fact that (aside from not caring about one of their longest running shows) they spent all of their money on only 2 shows: Talk Show with Spike Ferstein, and "24." And if you ask me, giving preferential treatment to Spike Ferstein was a mistake because he only entered his 2nd year; MADtv entered it's 13th. Not to mention FOX is getting bitten in the ass because 24 was put on hiatus as well cause of the strike.

The cast on the show right now is fine with the exceptions of Bobby Lee and Johnny Sanchez (those 2 are the worst for me). I think what'll happen is once the strike is over, the writers on the show will come to their senses and actually give us some good material because they can pull good stuff but they haven't lately. If I'm correct, after next week's episode they only have 14 more episode lefts because they only got 18 ordered for production. They used up 4 already (counting next week's episode) not to mention the 4 BEST OF's. I still have faith that MADtv will get the wake up call they need to pull through. I don't know I like to be optimistic even though things aren't so great right now.
Old 11/19/2007, 4:25 PM
zlolz

I REALLY don't get the "it's the writers strike's fault" excuse. Sure, the writers strike prevented the 300th episode from featuring as many alumni as they could've, but everything else was written well before the writers strike. The responsibility for the poorly-written sketches falls on the show and the writers (if they even still have any).

If it's true that FOX forced MADtv out of it's old studio, then I really see no chance of a Season 14. Hell, it seems we're lucky we even got a Season 13, even if it sucks. This must be what all of the negotiations were about back in May.

What's with FOX's love of Spike? From what I understand it's ratings are a LOT lower then MADtv's, and no one watches it anyway.

If it does come back for Season 14 and they move back into a studio, it could be fine I think. But who knows if that'll happen.

Old 11/19/2007, 4:46 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

It isn't the writers strike - MADtv usually writes a few episodes in advance so all of this stuff was written before the strike. It is the fact that they lost everything that is killing the show, IMO.

I really don't see them ever being given a larger budget after how much they got cut.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 11/19/2007, 4:47 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

We should protest FOX if they consider cancelling MADtv. There is no way I'm switching over to SNL (I gave up on that show a while ago and it's not even doing so well this season from what I heard). OH and I think the only reason why most of us are saying that Spike Ferstein gets better treatment is because they for one got renewed before MADtv was AND supposedly he got a new set for his show.

Aside from that, I still want to see the UMBRELLA parody with Nicole and Jordan next week =D
Old 11/20/2007, 6:06 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
Aside from that, I still want to see the UMBRELLA parody with Nicole and Jordan next week =D
Keegan does the Obama impression. I hope Anjelah's new character and Dan's debut are in this episode.

Old 11/20/2007, 12:23 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Dude if the cast starts doing impressions and characters again then there's still hope. Keegan does Obama really well so that's always enlightening.
Old 11/20/2007, 1:10 PM
Crista's biggest fan

i gotta say anjelahs "new" character is alot like her stand up about korean nail laides only with a little bit of a ghetto twist

Old 11/20/2007, 3:41 PM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwYeahKrumpin View Post
i gotta say anjelahs "new" character is alot like her stand up about korean nail laides only with a little bit of a ghetto twist
Aww.... please tell me your lieing...., I was really excited for this....., I really want Anjelah to do really good LOL . Tell me, was it at least funny to you?

Old 11/20/2007, 6:09 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Do you think another network would pick the show up or is that a very very long shot?
Old 11/20/2007, 6:20 PM
Hardcore Fan

I'm really excited about 1308. We'll get an Umbrella parody, we'll get (hopefully) that sketch with Hilary Clinton and Obama...and we might also get the Coach Hines sketch from the second taping. I'm really optimistic about this episode.... I don't, on the other hand, think that MADtv is really that close to folding- you people are just alarmists.

For me, Season 13 has been a huge change, but not one that I completely dislike. It's not great, I know, but it hasn't been that bad (aside from a real lacklustre Episode 300).

300, by the way, would have been much better with Alex & Will. I bet that the writers had something planned...and they had to find something else on short notice once Alex & Will backed out. But I'm sure Alex and Will will be back on MADtv later on in the season... can you imagine how they would feel if MADtv was cancelled after a season that was marked by a horrendousMADtv needed a bit of a change, if you don't mind me saying so, and it had to step on the toes of the purists a little bit.

So far, here's how I'd rank how the cast members have performed.

1. Bobby Lee

You know a season's not going that well when Bobby Lee is the best cast member. But seriously, in the season premiere, he was unusually good. I've noticed that he's been pretty good all season long and seems genuinely interested in the show (and brings a certain amount of energy and enthusiasm to it). I just wanted to reward Bobby for his good work this year.

2. Nicole Parker.

She's been good, but she hasn't been as funny IMO as Bobby has in any of her sketches.

3. Crista Flanagan

Crista's hardly had much airtime this season. But she's been pretty good, given the chance.

4. Jordan Peele

5. Michael McDonald

Just horrible. He seems disnterested and very stale this season. I bet he's not too happy MADtv decided to change to more of a variety show after all these years. He seems to really like sketch comedy, and I guess this change must have been an unwelcome one. Either that, or the producers told him this was definitely his last hurrah on the show. He seems bitter.

6. Arden Myrin

Not very good. Her Family Guy IMPROV wasn't horrible... but she hasn't been great.

7. Keegan-Michael Key.

No Coach Hines thus far? Well, that's a pity, because really, that's the best of what Keegan seems to have to offer.

As for the new ones

Johnny Sanchez
Suddenly you want Ike back on MADtv. Just joking, of course... I'm not a huge Johnny Sanchez fan, though.

Anjelah Johnson

I don't know...I'm a little tired of the racial humor. It seems that adding Johnson was a little unnecessary- I mean, it would have sufficed to just have the ladies of MADtv (Parker, Flanagan, Myrin, and perhaps another in Hall). As it is, nobody is getting the right amount of airtime except maybe Nicole Parker.
Old 11/20/2007, 7:11 PM
zlolz

The Umbrella parody and the Hillary/Obama sketch are both the same sketch, btw.

I totally disagree about Bobby being the best cast member though. He and Johnny have pretty much single-handedly ruined about 80% of the sketches so far with their retarded racial humor. After kind of liking him in S12, I'm back to hating him. He's just being shown the most, for some reason. I think Nicole and Jordan are, once again, the stars of the season. I'd say Crista too but she hasn't gotten to do much so far, which is kind of disappointing. I don't really think anyone in the cast has been treated that fairly this year though, except for Bobby and Johnny.

You should make a thread on this, wonder.

Old 11/20/2007, 7:31 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
The Umbrella parody and the Hillary/Obama sketch are both the same sketch, btw.

I totally disagree about Bobby being the best cast member though. He and Johnny have pretty much single-handedly ruined about 80% of the sketches so far with their retarded racial humor. After kind of liking him in S12, I'm back to hating him. He's just being shown the most, for some reason. I think Nicole and Jordan are, once again, the stars of the season. I'd say Crista too but she hasn't gotten to do much so far, which is kind of disappointing. I don't really think anyone in the cast has been treated that fairly this year though, except for Bobby and Johnny.

You should make a thread on this, wonder.

I just did. I was considering making a "Countdown to Season 14" thread, but I feel that would be too mean to the current season. We should give it a chance, IMO. It may not end up being all that bad.
Old 11/20/2007, 8:24 PM
zlolz

Countdown to Season 14...lmao. If there even if a Season 14...

Season 13 could be good, but right now MAD has no idea how to utilize this new format, so it sucks as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
Do you think another network would pick the show up or is that a very very long shot?
The only one I could see doing that is Comedy Central. But I see the show changing even more if that happens.