Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1306?
Commercial: Feist Gets iScrewed 12 27.91%
Opening: Hannah Montana Tickets Brawl 8 18.60%
Down Home Pancakes' Racial Ads 1 2.33%
Lesbionic Woman 3 6.98%
Meeting Joey Fatone 0 0%
Rice & Beans Tour - Part I 1 2.33%
Hollywood Lip Service 3 6.98%
Airlines Safety Video 8 18.60%
Introducing Anjelah Johnson 7 16.28%
National Air Band Champions Interview 0 0%
National Air Band Champions Performance 0 0%
Closing: Michael & Cast 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/11/2007, 11:01 AM
zlolz

Just so everyone knows, I'm going to transcribe the Feist parody and the Airlines Commercial this week.

Old 11/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Hardcore Fan

I wonder how many new episodes does MADtv have in the can before the Writers' Strike hit?

Just curious becuase I think Talk Show with Spike Fertesen is more funnier lately than this season of MADtv.
Old 11/11/2007, 12:08 PM
zlolz

Didn't you just say last week that you loved this season? Did it kill you to actually compliment a post-Season 4 season?

Old 11/11/2007, 1:40 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwYeahCrumpin View Post
Does any one have a download like a rapidshare of this episode yet?
See here.

On the topic of the episode, blah. After I catch up on a few things, I'll post my review. Much like me, it won't be pretty.

On the topic of Anjelah, that's a spicy enchilada, ese! Chubby face, ear-to-ear smile, pretty hair, perfect body... even *I* was impressed, and with Reiko adorning my hard drive from top to bottom, that doesn't occur often. Her face has a certain... frumpy quality to it that holds her back from overtaking Crista, but good effort overall!

Old 11/11/2007, 3:10 PM
zlolz

If anyone here knows how to upload sketches to YouTube, can someone PLEASE upload the Feist parody and the Airline commercial? Thanks!

Old 11/11/2007, 4:52 PM
Totally F****able

I'll do it.......as soon as someone gives me links to download those sketches
because I'm not downloading the whole episode.

Old 11/11/2007, 5:36 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Yeah, the Feist parody and the airline sketch were definitely the best. I love Feist, and I'm glad to see her getting so much exposure here in the states.

As far as some of the earlier comments about the lack of sketches, I'm actually pretty okay with that. It's one of the few changes this season that I like. It's been pretty evident that the show has been trying to move away from a general sketch show to an overall variety show, even as far back as Season 10. (Season 10 brought Cragg, Season 11 brought the "On the Town" skits and opening bits, Season 12 brought the fake musical performances). So, yeah, it's just part of the overall evolving of the show.

Old 11/11/2007, 6:14 PM
Crista's biggest fan

I want the whole episode!

and I can't ever see anjelah overtaking crista

crista would simply not let that happen

Old 11/11/2007, 10:03 PM
His senses were dimmed

I missed the Feist one but I saw the rest. Most was bad but the Airline one was amazingly funny. I also liked Mike's part in the Celebrity lip service a lot.
Furthermore... The female cast now is the hottest it has ever been on the show.

Although the aesthetics are good it seems like this show is becoming a Chappelles show/Mencia show as in it is all racial stuff mostly.
MadTV cannot seem to find the healthy medium between characters, political/current event jokes, minority jokes and original stuff that the show used to have. The show just need moderation in everything I think.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 11/11/2007, 11:27 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I think one of the problems is that the show hasn't really been using the recurring characters we've grown to love in the recent years such as Coach Hines and Wendy Walker. They should throw in some claymation and cutting sketches. I honestly believe that if they use the original stuff that they did in the past (i.e. more sketches as well as recurring characters, and not just time fillers) and mix that with the new format, the season could prove to be very strong.

Last edited by JustG; 11/12/2007 at 7:09 AM.
Old 11/12/2007, 1:49 PM
zlolz

This season has great potential, and sketches like the Feist parody, the Airlines commercial, and pretty much all of the #1305 sketches show that the strong writing and top-notch cast effort that Season 12 showcased is very much still there, it's just getting jumbled up with the attempt to "evolve" the show and the confusion over the new format.

I think they changed too much too fast. If they REALLY wanted to go in this direction, they should've taken it slow. In two episodes, NONE of the impressions or characters from the past few seasons have showed up. The format is COMPLETELY different, and there's a huge lack of pop culture satire. It's fine if they want to change the show, but it needs to still feel like MADtv, and right now, it doesn't. I think that's why sketches like To Catch a Predator, Sad Fitty Cent, and the Feist parody were all so popular - they feel like the old MADtv.

Just my two cents.

Old 11/12/2007, 2:38 PM
zlolz

On a lighter note...poll added. Vote for your favorite sketch!

(Go Feist and Airlines Commercial!)

EDIT: Re-watching the episode, I think the Airlines Safety sketch is supposed to be a video they show before the plane takes off, right? That's why there's no company mentioned. So, I edited the sketch title. Anyone think it IS a commercial?

Old 11/13/2007, 6:49 AM
Fresh Meat

Default SlumpTV

Ouch, this episode hurt to watch at times. I think the writers either did go on strike or are working to the contract. I'll admit the "higher quality" of the appearance of the show is refreshing, but I think they sacrificed quality presentation for good writing. And quite frankly this episode seemed very SNL-ish.

Iscrewed - The audio mixing might have been better to hear her voice, but over all this was actually funny.

Hanna Montana Tickets - Okay We've seen Crista come out all bloody
before, but this time was no where near as funny as the playstation 3 bit. I think she could have done a lot better. I don't think the new theater is good for MadTV to be honest, which might have hurt what Crista could do on stage. The audience is waaay too close to the Cast.

Down Home Pancakes - This hurt to watch at some points, but when they did the commercial for Bobby, it was hilarious. The other two were meh at best.

Lesbionic woman - Oh goodness me - Funny at first, but I think they went in the wrong direction. Crista and Nicole wrestling. mmmmmm.

Meeting Joey Fitone - Absolutely predictable. What the hell else is an old lady going to say that's going to be comical? In which case, not funny. Why did they have to get a washed up Nsync guy who's not funny? Spelling Bee anyone? Wayne Brady would be a much better choice.

Rice and Beans - NEXT! Sanchez is not the new Ike. Ike was actually funny at times. Johnny has yet to not be lame on stage.

Hollywood lip service - Hmmm... I don't think I could push out a piece of S%@# that long. The only thing that kept me in my seat was Arden's legs.

Airlines video - Nicole saves the show again. And the other cast members seem to act much better when she's around. At least for this bit. "Taking a look at the booklet and quickly putting it back is $7" lol awesome!

Anjehlah - Okay, not a very good introduction. I think she was a bit better than Johnny Sanchez's standup (which isn't saying much). But I've already seen that bit before, so I guess if I hadn't seen her do stand up before it might have been funnier. I just hate it when comics use the same material over and over.

Air Band - Get the heck off the air Joey Fitone! You're gross, and not funny gross!

closing .... Ummm, that's it? I was waiting for the show to start. Sigh, disapointment. Micheal, Crista, and Nichole! START WRITING STUFF IF YOU WANT YOUR JOB!

In closing, this episode was worse than the premier, (which says alot). They must have cut down on the budget in all the wrong places (writing, coherence, writing, actual thinking, the cast members resolve, writing). But I still have faith. Because I yearn to be entertained.

Last edited by FudgeUms; 11/13/2007 at 2:49 PM. Reason: wanted to rate with stars
Old 11/13/2007, 1:46 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Thanks to the wonder of youtube and the fact that I'm sick in bed, I'm able to grade roughly half of this episode. Here goes nothin'...

Music Video: Feist "1, 2, 3, 4" - LOVED this. Nicole channeled Feist flawlessly and although its not hard to replicate an empty parking lot or studio with a few backup dancers, they did a good job. This looked incredibly authentic and I liked it better than all the music videos from last season (off the top of my head).

Open: Hannah Montana Tickets - I loved savage Crista, and I really loved the show opening last year with the play station 3, but this one was just alright for me. The stage is too big, too flashy and too open for the cast to truly seem comfortable just goofing off and doing their thing. It looks good, but I miss the intimacy of last seasons stage.

Airline Commercial - This was ok, some good moments but nothing truly inspiring or hilarious.

Rice and Beans - The Heartland Tour - I can't believe I'm saying this, but, Ike would have made this a little bit more bearable. EEk, I take that back! No seriously, it seemed like Bobby was phoning it in, and Johnny was kind of just there... it was only a 2 minute segment so I dont mind if there are a few of these in the future, as long as they are, you know... kinda funny.

Lesbionic Woman - Had its moments, but wasn't particularly inspired, like most segments in this episode.

Introducing Anjelah Johnson - While this wasn't laugh out loud hilarious, I didnt mind this at all. First of all, I think its a great way to introduce a new castmember, even if it is cheap. There's something about Anjelah I like already, I think she'll be great at playing characters and I hope they actually start giving her shit to do after the 300th episode.

Overall: I missed the rest. What I saw was average - not great, not horrible.

Old 11/13/2007, 2:23 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
=

Open: Hannah Montana Tickets - I loved savage Crista, and I really loved the show opening last year with the play station 3, but this one was just alright for me. The stage is too big, too flashy and too open for the cast to truly seem comfortable just goofing off and doing their thing. It looks good, but I miss the intimacy of last seasons stage.
I agree with this. This stage reminds me of a bigger, more professional version of the Season 10 stage (and by more professional I mean there's no cardboard backdrop ). The Season 11 & 12 stage owned. I want it back. The cast seems too stiff with this stage (and with the format in general really).

Old 11/13/2007, 2:25 PM
Fresh Meat

Default Master Chief Will Find You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
whereas last week, the only really bad one was the Halo 2 Boyfriend one.
Are you kidding? That was one of the best sketches! Johnny Sanchez's stand up was the worst. All that was coming out of his mouth was "pedo, pedo, pedo, Pegs on bikes and old black men??"!

You obviously never spent 52 hours straight playing Halo!

Old 11/14/2007, 2:27 AM
Crista's biggest fan

I voted for Savage Crista winning the montana tickets because, duh, that was the best part crista was in

the lesbionic woman was ok i guess

Old 11/16/2007, 11:54 AM
Fresh Meat

Default Pathetic

What a sad caricature this show has become of itself. Half of the cast is not funny, the sketches are poorly written, and the new format like something you would see at a high school talent show. Somebody needs to put this disaster down before it permanently sullies the name of what was once the premier sketch comedy show on television. Time to move on. What a waste.
Old 11/16/2007, 4:36 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Post bw's Review of #1306

Commercial: Feist Gets iScrewed: Truly a well-deserved jab, but my thoughts on this sketch mirror mizz's thoughts on last week's Britney performance -- A+ for the production, B for the humor. There's one reason and one reason alone this baby is doing so well in the poll, and her name is Nicole.

Opening: Hannah Montana Tickets Brawl: Only Crista could walk out bloodied, crying, and in a murderous rage, and still come off as adorable. Some might call that bad acting; I myself prefer to think of it as chicken soup for the soul. In any case, I felt this dragged on far too long the first time through, but after repeat viewings, I no longer have any such complaints. Similar to "Black Friday"? Yes. Better than "Black Friday"? Without a doubt. Go Crista!

Down Home Pancakes' Racial Ads: We get it, folks -- some people are of a different race than others, racial tension exists, and minorities are OH SO WACKY! The joke has been made. Do Bobby and Johnny have anything else at all in their bag of tricks?

Lesbionic Woman: Nicole is a dead ringer for what's-her-name, but that's about all this shitfest has going for it. TIP: When shooting a laughless sketch that centers on two ladies rolling around in the grass, consider skimpier costumes and fewer mullets.

Meeting Joey Fatone: Acceptable, but nothing I'd ever watch again.

Rice & Beans Tour - Part I:

Hollywood Lip Service: While the premise of this was decent and the extreme, unabashed douchiness of Jordan's character provided a few laughs here and there, the sketch itself didn't build to anything. That's a problem. As an improv performance, I might've given this 3-3.5 stars, but the photo monitors suggest that the whole thing was written up in advance. In other words, Jordan and Arden sat down, tossed together a list of old farts, connected the sexual dots, and... came out with one of the top sketches of the episode? Wow. This is pathetic.

Airlines Safety Video: Ah, laughter -- how I've missed thee! Another well-deserved jab. Thumbs up!

Introducing Anjelah Johnson: I still don't care for the nail lady bit, but the rest of this was bearable. Much like last week, my opinion of the performer in question has been raised, but not by a whole lot. Except in the looks department. *grrrrrrrrowl*

National Air Band Champions Interview: "Airijuana" was cute. Everything else here couldn't possibly have been a bigger waste of time.

National Air Band Champions Performance: ...I stand corrected.

Closing: Michael & Cast: Yawn.

Overall: Worst episode of the season. This damn well better be the first and last time I'm forced to utter those words this year, because I just can't imagine a mound of shit being stacked any higher. Enough with the filler, enough with the worthless guest stars, enough with the racial humor, and in fact, enough with Bobby and Johnny altogether. Even the 2.5/10 I'm giving this episode feels far too generous.

Episode MVP: While Nicole starred in two of the three worthwhile sketches this week, her contributions are easily outweighed by Crista's performance in "Hannah Montana Tickets Brawl". Crista, therefore, is my MVP of #1306. For one performance. No kidding.

Old 11/16/2007, 5:57 PM
zlolz

Aw, come on - the Feist parody at least wasn't an exact replica of a sketch that aired a year ago. Crista performed well, but the writing was unoriginal. You have to at LEAST admit the line "They iScrewed me again!" was probably the best single line of the episode.