Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/11/2003, 6:03 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

I thought the Patrick Bag Boy sketch Michael did was alittle mean. Though the sketch was funny, making fun of how mentally retarded people speak is not.

Old 05/11/2003, 6:12 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMcDonaldGrl
I thought the Patrick Bag Boy sketch Michael did was alittle mean. Though the sketch was funny, making fun of how mentally retarded people speak is not.
Yeah, it was a little mean. And it got even more stupid towards the end when he was giving "smartass" attitude to the customer, but with the retarded talk...

Old 05/11/2003, 8:54 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

X-Rated Mime: Excellent. Ron was excellent. Debra and Aries were excellent. The on-location idea was great too! Overall, the night's best sketch!

Mofaz: I don't like this character that much but this one was a little better than others. But it dragged. Next sketch please.

7 Buddy Cops: I really enjoyed this, way better than the first one! The impressions were better and Christina and Ron strengthened it even more.

Sunday Morning: This reminded me of a season four sketch for some reason. I like how they tried something new. Aries was a little annoying but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Patrick Bag Boy: I thought this was really funny. It was a little mean (or bordered it) but still a decent sketch. New characters are always welcome.

Spears On Sports: By this time, I switched to SNL to watch an American Idol parody so I sorta missed most of it. It looked better than the other terrible Spears On Sports sketches.

Schnitzer Family: This was funny. But Michael said at the end that it was time to start the show so I'm wondering why this wasn't the opening sketch when it was intended to be. Very funny, very welcome to have this type of sketch again!

Mrs. Campbell SUV Accident: This was a great encore choice. You're right, it was better the second time.

Miss-Fired Bullet: This could have been better than it was if it was a little more organized and it went somewhere. It actually reminded me of an SNL sketch where it is sorta funny and relies on the cast to carry the sketch. Ron being in it makes it watchable as always

Seven Buddy Cops Close: This was alright, I've seen better closings.

I'd actually have to give this episode an 8/10. I really enjoyed this episode for the most part. A few duds here and there but the better sketches overshadowed the bad ones. Ron stood out in this episode and I only hope this guarentees him a spot as a perminant next season! Go Ron Go!

Old 05/12/2003, 5:48 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I didn't really like this episode. I liked Aries a lot here.. I hate the SOS segments, but his impressions were good. We haven't had new material from him in a month so it was nice to see so much of him. Debra also appeared heavily in this episode. It was nice to see Frank return, but the roles he received were disappointing. Bobby did appear after a long absence, but barely - which is a shame.

This episode just really lacked something. I did like seeing Aries and Debra a lot, but still. I think a good part of the reason why is that Mo and Stephnie were basically absent, and as the two best on the show they could've helped this ep out.
Old 05/12/2003, 6:10 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Debra also appeared heavily in this episode. It was nice to see Frank return, but the roles he received were disappointing.
Debra appeared in a few skits, but always in very minor roles. After disappearing for awhile, I was dissapointed by the material given to her for her return. Same goes for Frank.
Quote:
I think a good part of the reason why is that Mo and Stephnie were basically absent, and as the two best on the show they could've helped this ep out.
Not necessarily, they have been given more airtime than anyone these past few episodes, but they still were lacking a bit. Besides, Stephnie had a decent sized role in this episode. Debra is still my favorite on the show, but Stephnie is close behind.
Quote:
I liked Aries a lot here.. I hate the SOS segments, but his impressions were good. We haven't had new material from him in a month so it was nice to see so much of him.
Blah, I think he is one of the main reasons why the episode was so bad. The worst episodes this season all focused heavily on Aries, IMO.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 05/12/2003, 9:58 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Quote:
Debra appeared in a few skits, but always in very minor roles. After disappearing for awhile, I was dissapointed by the material given to her for her return. Same goes for Frank.

She was a big part of the Mime sketch, she appeared twice in the 7BC sketches (and her impression is one of the most featured of the 7), she was the praising woman in the atheist sketch, and co-hosted the unfortunate family one. Besides Aries she appeared more than anybody.
And yeah, Frank needed better roles. He got about two lines in all in the 7BC sketch, a supporting role in dumb DPTTM, and then an impression that while not bad is too much like his Madden one (he does FAR better than that one). It was nice seeing him though, and he appeared more than some of the cast.

Quote:
Not necessarily, they have been given more airtime than anyone these past few episodes, but they still were lacking a bit. Besides, Stephnie had a decent sized role in this episode. Debra is still my favorite on the show, but Stephnie is close behind.

Stephnie only appeared once, besides the Encore. Actually as I was watching it, I noticed she wasn't there; I figured she was absent, and I was pretty disappointed, but then they showed the preview of the special kid sketch so I was kinda relieved. She gives her roles a certain twist that a lot of the others can't do, and I kinda missed that.
You're right - Mo and Stephnie have been appearing heavily the last few episodes. Which I'm sure is why they were barely there in this one. And to tell you the truth, they're a big reason why the last couple episodes have been bearable to me. Especially that Top Three one - w/o the Anna Nicole breaks the ep wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Quote:
Blah, I think he is one of the main reasons why the episode was so bad. The worst episodes this season all focused heavily on Aries, IMO.

Everyone knows how much flack I gave Aries. And I would have to agree with you - many of the worst episodes focused around him and his generic impressions. But, starting in #816 or so, he was surprisingly on an upswing, even with the impressions.
He's been gone for awhile, so for once it was just a nice change of pace to see someone get some airtime. And even though I HATE his stupid SOS sketches, I actually really liked the De LaHoya impression, and for once it's actually pretty accurate. I also thought he gave a great performance as the preacher; and he did well with his other more minor roles.
I'd say he's still my least favorite of the cast, but he did a good job this time.

I think we could blame this episode on embarrassingly bad writing.
Old 05/12/2003, 11:39 AM
Sing: "Fanta! Fanta!"

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87

This episode just really lacked something.
yeah...
It lacked PAUL!

No PAUL = no !

Oh well, maybe next week.

This episode had a chuckle or two for me. I loved Deb in 7 cops... that cracked me up. And Ron is good (except w/ Michael - wow that wasn't funny). I do love that Stephnie and Mo SUV sketch though. It made me laugh then and I still laughed now.
Old 05/14/2004, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers

"Special" Patrick was just the opposite of the previous sketch. I thought it started out kind of boring and then got much funnier as it went on.
LOL.....I thought it was so cute how Mike kept kissing and hugging Stephnie and how her lipstick got on Mike's lips...so cute!! I loved that sketch!! "Price check!!"
Old 08/03/2004, 11:33 PM
26/07/16!!

Default Episode #824

Mime
This was alright, it was the one time that i actually can say that a sketch should have been longer.
3/5

DPTTM: Mother-in-Law
Yeah i wasn't quite into the DPTTM sketch this time, and the annoyance of Michael McDonald from the last episode has continued over to this one. There was nothing really that new here apart from the ending which it would have been better off without
2/5

The Seven Buddy Cops Western
This was actually surprisingly good, it was much better than the last one (which was hindered mainly due to Jay Mohr's performance). Good to see that they learnt from last time and made this one shorter. Owen Wilson's (Josh's) point about why the indians were gonna scalp his head was funny, Christina and Ron were good also.
3.5/5

Sunday Morning w/ Graham Clark
This was pretty funny, Aries preacher- type character was the highlight IMO.
3/5

Special Patrick: Bagboy
This started off a little slow but it got better towards the end. Ike flipping out at the end was funny, although i dont really think it derserved to be recurred.
3/5

Spears on Sports
This was alright, i havent seen Barry Bonds or Marv Albert before so those impressions didnt really leave an "impression" on me which is supposedly what they are supposed to achieve. Tom Arnolds appearance was somewhat wasted, although the Oscar De La Hoya impression was surprisingly good which is a shame as the sketch itself wasnt anything to jump and down about.
2.5/5

The Schnitzer Family
Its interesting why they would introduce the Schnitzer family three quarters through an episode when it would have been more suited to an opening sketch slot. Interestingly enough the two adults were played by Mindy Sterling and some other guy whos name escapes me, surely they deserved a guest starring mention? I mean they did list Tom Arnold after all . Now to the sketch, it was mediocre nothing really funny about it although it was funny to see Michael McDonald screaming as his leg was bitten by Mr Schnitzer.
2.5/5

Bad Aim Beat Cop
I was expecting more from this, too long, stupid idea, enough said.
1/5

Encore: Mrs. Campbell: Car Accident (#725)
I didnt watch this because ive seen it before but from memory it was pretty good, as good as most Mrs Campbell sketches are.
3/5

Close: The Seven Buddy Cops Outtakes
This was funny, the song was good. The guy who plays Will Smith in these sketches actually sounds and looks a lot like the real Will Smith i wouldnt be surprised if it was actually him but they forgot to mention it lol.
4/5

Overall
A very up and down episode this week with nothing hugely outstanding in it. Still anythings better after last weeks one.............
6/10

*On a side note, this brings my season 8 reviews to a close after already seeing and reviewing episode #825, thanks for your time you've been a great audience and i'll see you in season 10

*Wondering how i come up with such interesting sketch names every week? Why not check out MYSTERE'S EPISODE GUIDE, your number one internet source for MADtv episode sketch names

Last edited by funny_guy; 08/04/2004 at 3:19 AM.
Old 08/04/2004, 8:39 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: WHO/WHAT 824

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterE
Cast: Frank Caliendo, Michael McDonald, Aries Spears, Stephnie Weir and Debra Wilson

Featuring: Ike Barinholtz, Josh Meyers, Christina Moore and Ron Pederson

Special Guest: Tom Arnold
  • Mime (Aries & Debra, Ron- Mime)
  • DPTTM: Mother-in-Law (Depressed Persian Tow Truck Man Who Thinks His Mother-in-Law is a Real Mother ****er!, DPTTM Who Can't Get the Image of His Bearded Mother-in-Law Out of His Head Which Is Slowly Driving Him Insane: Michael- DPTTM, Frank- Passenger)
  • The Seven Buddy Cops Western: The Magnificent Seven Buddy Cop Cowboy Sheriffs (Ike- Nick Nolte, Aries- Eddie Murphy, Debra- Chris Tucker, Josh- Owen Wilson, Bobby- Jackie Chan, Frank- Tommy Lee Jones, "Ghost"- Will Smith, Christina- Sharon Stone as Gen. Roberta E. Lee, Ron- Woody Allen as The Evil Indian Chief)
  • Sunday Morning w/ Graham Clark (Ron- Graham Clark, Aries- Preacher Jim, Debra)
  • Special Patrick: Bagboy (Michael- Special Patrick, Stephnie- Belinda, Ike- Customer)
  • Spears on Sports (Aries- himself/Barry Bonds/Oscar De La Hoya, Tom Arnold)
  • The Schnitzer Family (Michael, Debra and unfortunate family)
  • Bad Aim Beat Cop (Michael- Brooks, Ron- Hanlon, Aries- Sagittarius Carter)
  • Encore: Mrs. Campbell: Car Accident (#725) (Mo- Ms. Jem, Frank- police officer, Stephnie- Mrs. Leona Campbell)
  • Close: The Seven Buddy Cops Outtakes
MysterE, Frank played Marv Albert in the Spears on Sports sketch, and Mindy Sterling played Mrs Schnitzer in the Schnitzer family sketch.

Old 08/04/2004, 10:23 PM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
MysterE, Frank played Marv Albert in the Spears on Sports sketch, and Mindy Sterling played Mrs Schnitzer in the Schnitzer family sketch.
It also lists Tim Bagley in the credits who im guessing played Mr Schnitzer?

Old 08/05/2004, 8:32 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz

Ok, I updated that. Who is she?

Quote:
Originally posted by funny_guy

It also lists Tim Bagley in the credits who im guessing played Mr Schnitzer?
Can anyone confirm this? Is he anyone special either?

Old 08/05/2004, 8:40 PM
Totally F****able

Tim was listed in the credits at the end of the show as playing Mr Schnitzer............from what I've heard he's apparently well known around the improv scene, however whether he's from second city or groundlings is unknown........lemme check

However in his IMDB profile there is no mention of him ever having been on Madtv.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0046730/

Old 08/06/2004, 1:37 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Mindy Sterling is IMO a VERY special guest. She's a Groundling, and she was the original "Doreen Larkin" with Michael at the Groundlings Theatre before he joined the show. She also had a large part in the Austin Powers movies. She played Frau Farbissna, the Lesbian Russian Henchwoman of Doctor Evil and the mother of his son, Scott. Come to think of it, perhaps that is the reason why Michael got a part in all the Austin Powers movies- because of his connection to Mindy. I also thought it was interesting that Debra's name in the Mime sketch was Mary Eileen.... where have we heard that name before MysterE?

Old 08/06/2004, 1:53 AM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Interesting.

Old 08/06/2004, 2:43 AM
26/07/16!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpiogrrl2003
Tim was listed in the credits at the end of the show as playing Mr Schnitzer............from what I've heard he's apparently well known around the improv scene, however whether he's from second city or groundlings is unknown........lemme check

However in his IMDB profile there is no mention of him ever having been on Madtv.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0046730/
He also had a small role in The Crazysitter, a movie which was directed by Michael McDonald. It is apparently not very good either according to one reviewer:

Quote:
User Comments:

Dllface07

Date: 22 March 2003
Summary: Horrible!!

This is the worst movie I have ever seen. A women who gets kicked out of prison becomes the nannie of two bratty twins and decides to try and sell them after seeing a T.V. show about what a kid would be worth. It is possibly the worst movie ever made.I was just shocked at the stupidity and little effort put into the movie even by the title you can tell this movie isint going to be a good one.

Old 08/06/2004, 12:29 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally posted by MysterE
Interesting.

indeed

Old 08/06/2004, 9:40 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default #824 Review

X- Rated Mime: This was great, although I do admit that Debra was kind of annoying here. Ron was awesome and I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a sketch as short as this. It would have been better if it were longer, perhaps.
/5

DPPTTM: Mother in Law: I loathe this character and this sketch didn't change my opinion. It's always the exact same boring stuff, and the only thing I liked about it was Frank as the hairy Mother in Law at the end.
/5

The Seven Buddy Cops Western: This was shorter than the first SBC sketch, but it felt like it was just the same stuff from the first one. Even Sharon Stone (Christina) had almost the exact same lines as Jennifer Lopez (Jill) in the first one. I didn't really like the Sharon Stone impression either, it was kinda boring.
.5/5

Sunday Morning with Graham Clark: This was great in the beginning, when Ron was singing with those kids, but as soon as the focus was on Aries and Debra, it became pretty boring. I liked the song in the beginning and Debra's dancing on the floor in the end.
/5

Special Patrick: Bagboy: I agree with everyone else who said that this sketch was a little mean, but it was pretty funny. Ike was pretty good here (for once) and Stephnie and Michael were good also.
/5

Spears on Sports: This was just stupid.
/5

The Schnitzer Family: This sketch seemed like a waste, because Mindy Sterling is a naturally funny woman, and she was given next to nothing to do here. I laughed when the father bit Michael's ankle.
.5/5

Bad Aim Beat Cop: Again, this was just stupid.
/5

Encore: Mrs. Campbell: Car Accident (#725): I loved this sketch when I first saw it, but I've seen it so many times now that it's not as good as what it originally was. But, I'll give it the original rating I gave it.
/5

Close: The Seven Buddy Cops Outtakes: I thought this was better than the actual sketch. it was short, and at least it was original.
/5

Overall: I was disappointed with this episode. While it was *much* better than the episode before it, it didn't meet the usual season 8 standards. There were some great performances (Mainly from Ron) but I felt that the performances from Michael and Aries (With the exception of the Patrick sketch, which was good) were tedious and boring. Overall, I give this episode:
.5/10