Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/17/2003, 6:50 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I wanna see Frank do non-impression roles too. He's proven he can be great in them, he hasn't done all that many of them, but the few that he does are great.. so far my favorite is that one he did with Kathryn in season seven, spoofing those weird sitcoms, lol. He's good at straight man roles too. A recurring character would be nice - considering his immense versatility, he should have no problem coming up with a unique one. I wish Frank had appeared more than just occasionally in season seven, he could've really brightened it.. remember #707, the one with the Lorraine: Price is Right sketch, and also with the Madden and Williams impressions.. it was the only season seven episode that he had a big role in, and IMO it just happens to be the best episode of the whole season.

Old 03/17/2003, 6:51 PM

BTW does anybody else agree with me that Bobby has been getting funnier? He's proving to be much more than just "the Asian guy" IMO.
Old 03/17/2003, 6:56 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, perhaps that he didn't appear that often in Season 7, and that Season 7 was not that great anyway, was what kind of made me say that I don't like Frank much... This season however has been pretty darn good, and obviously Frank has contributed a lot. So I think I'm starting to turn the page, just like I did with Stephnie, because she's been great this season... I guess it takes me a while to recognize good cast members after they join...

Old 03/17/2003, 7:09 PM

Yup, like I've always said - season eight is a critical transition point for the show. We're recovering from the shock of some of the losses (i.e. Nicole, Alex), and slowly taking in the newer ones. The reason I was so panicked when it was rumored that Stephnie was leaving was because she was, I thought, the only newer one who could really help out the show fantastically. But, like I said, with Debra and Stephnie taking a step into the background right now, the newer ones can finally step up and be great... nobody liked them at first because they never got this chance until now. I never thought I would say this, but I want Stephnie and Debra to stay in the background for a few more episodes, because even though I still think they're two of the best right now, we have to take in the newer ones so that season nine can be a really wild and fun time, with EVERYONE contributing equally.
Old 03/17/2003, 7:40 PM
Regular

Who the heck is David Herman???
Old 03/17/2003, 7:48 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by mrekim
Who the heck is David Herman???
He was an original cast member during MADtv's first two seasons. I liked him a lot actually.

Old 03/17/2003, 8:08 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
BTW does anybody else agree with me that Bobby has been getting funnier? He's proving to be much more than just "the Asian guy" IMO.
That's true, but he has to do more than Jackie Chan, Bobby Trendy, Connie Chung, and Kim Jong Il (BTW, his Kim Jong Il impression is very good). Maybe it's MADtv's fault, but I would like to see him more, considering all the potential that he has.
Old 03/17/2003, 8:25 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MADMADMAD
That's true, but he has to do more than Jackie Chan, Bobby Trendy, Connie Chung, and Kim Jong Il (BTW, his Kim Jong Il impression is very good). Maybe it's MADtv's fault, but I would like to see him more, considering all the potential that he has.
I was definitely not a fan of Bobby at the start of the season. But he has done very well I think, getting better and better.

Old 03/17/2003, 8:26 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
I completely agree. Before we didn't get to see him showcase his talent much because they kept putting him in the "guy who gets the sh*t kicked out of him" roles. But they're using him more and more, and each episode I get more impressed by Bobby. I always thought there was a lot of potential under those "I'm about to be gang-banged" faces!

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/17/2003, 9:12 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

hey everyone,

what's with all the kind words? i hope that its not just because i posted. frank sucks... frank sucks... ok...we're evening out.

this is actually a pretty cool thing though...and it's proof for something i believe in...and something i think we need for the show.

when you watch the show, you don't really get to know the people in the cast that well... but once you get a little bit of a feel for the person, you can see what the person is like in real life...and it gives you a more of a feeling for that person's type of comedy. (we all have different styles and tastes)

for example... i read in a post that someone didn't like ike in swirly time because he seemed cocky...well in the sketch, that was his character.--and how he was supposed to act..... if you spent any type of time at all with ike, you'd realize he's got great confidence... but he's really down to earth....and a great great guy with a ton of talent.

same goes with everyone in the cast.... i truly believe this to be an amazing cast...(i may have said this before)... everyone brings a lot to the table. sure you're going to dislike some things... but sometimes by looking at people from different perspectives... you may see a lot of things you've never seen before.

frank sucks....so does dan heinmarch (inside hoke, and possibly wrong spelling on the last name)
fc
Old 03/17/2003, 9:19 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Not quite level just yet....

FRANK SUCKS!!!

There we go..

(thanks for posting, Frank)

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/17/2003, 9:33 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Well i haven't seen ANYTHING with Frank in it yet

(damn networks....arrggghhh)

So i can't voice an opinion on how good or bad he might be
Old 03/17/2003, 9:44 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by tarzapam

Aww, poor tarza... Maybe Frank can act out a sketch on the forum here for ya! LOL...

Old 03/17/2003, 10:06 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

yeah that'd be cool

if he could do that then i'd think he is REALLy good
:p

I'll either have to wait for season 7 to start airing or have someone point me in the direction of a good clip
*hint*

Old 03/17/2003, 10:27 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I'll either have to wait for season 7 to start airing or have someone point me in the direction of a good clip
*hint*

Heheh... point taken. I do have a wallop of tapes to go thru and make some new vidcaps... I haven't done much of Season 8 yet, so I might just do that sooner rather than later...

Old 03/17/2003, 10:40 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankfanzz
hey everyone,

what's with all the kind words? i hope that its not just because i posted. frank sucks... frank sucks... ok...we're evening out.

this is actually a pretty cool thing though...and it's proof for something i believe in...and something i think we need for the show.

when you watch the show, you don't really get to know the people in the cast that well... but once you get a little bit of a feel for the person, you can see what the person is like in real life...and it gives you a more of a feeling for that person's type of comedy. (we all have different styles and tastes)

for example... i read in a post that someone didn't like ike in swirly time because he seemed cocky...well in the sketch, that was his character.--and how he was supposed to act..... if you spent any type of time at all with ike, you'd realize he's got great confidence... but he's really down to earth....and a great great guy with a ton of talent.

same goes with everyone in the cast.... i truly believe this to be an amazing cast...(i may have said this before)... everyone brings a lot to the table. sure you're going to dislike some things... but sometimes by looking at people from different perspectives... you may see a lot of things you've never seen before.

frank sucks....so does dan heinmarch (inside hoke, and possibly wrong spelling on the last name)
fc
Personally, I think that you're an asset to the show, but some people obviously don't agree. I'll try looking at castmembers from different perspectives, and this season isn't even over yet, so I have high hopes for all featured players of season eight. To tell you the truth, I found Stephnie a bit bizaare in season six, but that's certainly not the case now. Now that she's proven herself to be an asset of the show, I think everybody (including myself) should be a little more careful when judging people, like you mentioned, you can't get to know a cast member solely by watching MADtv. We have a lot of work to do.
Old 03/18/2003, 2:09 AM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
hey everyone,

No, the truth is that you do a great Leno impression. That's it. In fact, it was so good, I was laughing till I nearly cried. Especially that one giggle near the end, that really got me. Trust me on this one, because I'm known to be brutally honest. lol

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 03/18/2003, 5:58 AM
Get down tonight!

Quote:

I started watching Hype specifically to get a taste of Frank's work, I was quite impressed. And it helped to tide my over during the drought, so to speak.

"You look great, honey, uh, I mean break me off a piece of that ass-candy, bitch."

Old 03/18/2003, 10:32 AM

Quote:

lol, no it's not. It's nice of you to do, but it doesn't affect your sense of comedy now does it? But yeah, I thought you did a great job last night, whether you posted here or not.

I think a big fault of the show is that they drag out an older cast member's presence before they depart and don't focus on the newer cast members. I mean, Nicole left after season six, and look how long they dragged that out, even showing five episodes with her in it last season. Yet you (Frank), a newer cast member, was only featured half the season.. I don't know whether this is because of your touring schedule or because of how the show handled things (I have a feeling it's the latter). And then some people complained last season that you weren't doing much for the show, but it's because you didn't get to be shown that much, which is unfair. Bobby got mostly supporting roles last season, and people bitched and moaned when he was made a regular because they found him "useless", when in fact he was never given the chance to shine. This season, he has, and viewers' opinions on him have REALLY changed! So yeah, "MAD" needs to move on from past cast members and show that there are new people who can do just as good of a job.

Quote:

I was the one that said that. I'm hesistant about saying negative things to you about the cast, since you know them well. I don't dislike Ike, I think more often than not he can do a good job, but it looks to me that occasionally he seems to think he's a lot funnier than he really is, as evidenced in sketches like Detention in #803 and the Daredevil Premiere in #815. So by "cocky", I meant that, not his character -- if you're familiar with earlier seasons, Phil LaMarr's character Rick was very cocky and I thought he was very funny, and Dave Herman once played this one character called "The Man" and I was howling! I won't deny that he's talented, he is; but just like everyone else, he has his comedic flaws sometimes, and his character here just happened to be one of them I think. Like with Stephnie, I absolutely ADORE Stephnie, she's one of my favorite comedic actors/actresses ever, and I still think she has her flaws sometimes, like with her voice, sometimes it's just too.. what's the word.. shrill, I suppose, for my ears. I hope you understand

BTW can you really confirm if Debra said she was leaving or not?
Old 03/18/2003, 11:19 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I don't think Ike has developed his original comedic style yet and that's the problem. He also needs improvement in his acting abilities. He is talented and has some potential but I'm not excited about him like the other people (Ron for example). Ike seems to either shout a lot, use the same voice, say something and nod and smile at the camera sticking out his tongue and doing those weird hand movements. I'm not aying he's horrible but more so young and inexperience like every great comedian was one day. I have to agree though he thinks he's funnier than he is, maybe that's just me. Overall, I want Ron Pederson to be a regular if no one else!!!