Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/02/2003, 4:33 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I noticed they gave Paul Vogt his own page on the official site replacing Simon's but none for Christina!

Old 03/03/2003, 5:06 AM
Fresh Meat

Thumbs Up In harmony.

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers

So, I guess I was just wondering why Paul should be singled out as if he's the first one. I haven't seen anyone put down so quickly and harshly since...Stephnie Weir. I learned my lesson after judging her too soon.
After my last post, I decided I was only going to come here to read, not post. But I had to join in to support Keepsakers!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Right off the bat, a couple vocal people "hated" Paul and were very harsh about it... like taking cheap shots about his weight (which I also find immature and appalling).

Since then, Paul proved that he brings something valuable to show! When he played NATALIE and the PIANO GUY, he proved once and for all that he is a solid character actor! Both of these sketches made me laugh out loud. Paul made me laugh out loud... THREE TIMES in one episode in fact - and that's no small accomplishment. The only other people that made me do that (out loud) were Stephnie and MARY S. and that was a VERY long time ago.

When I read the negative comments posted here, I thought: "Well, maybe I'm wrong..." BUT thanks to the official MAD website, I saw that MOST of the COUNTRY finds Paul funny. So I feel much more confident in my assessment.

He is a real asset to the show. He is fresh. He is unique. AND he proved that he is versatile. (He kind of reminds me of the guys from "Kids in the Hall" and THEY were brilliant.)

And, consider that everyone else had a half-a-year jump on Paul. If he started the season early on - with Josh and Ike - it would be a different story right now. As it is, I think the writers are just finally figuring out how to use him (like Natalie and the Piano Guy - both of which should be recurring if I had any say about it). I can't wait to see what they come up with for the remained of the season!

BTW, I feel the same about RON. He also knows how to "act" a scene, but he hasn't nearly taken the abuse that Paul has in these postings.

So from where I stand right now... I wouldn't be surprised at all if PAUL came back next year as a regular cast member. In fact, I would welcome it!

"I"
Old 03/03/2003, 7:49 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: In harmony.

Quote:
Originally posted by critical "I"
Right off the bat, a couple vocal people "hated" Paul and were very harsh about it... like taking cheap shots about his weight (which I also find immature and appalling).
Well, but I don't think they meant it that way. I think ever since Artie Lange used the term himself on the show: "funny fat guy" it just sort of stuck with everyone. So, for that, I don't think anyone meant it in a harsh way. As for everything else...I'm with you.

I just think Paul should be given more of a chance to prove himself. I can see he has some talent. And if he's being judged under the label of "funny fat guy", then those of you (including myself) who love Ron, Christina and Josh have nothing worry about. They all still have a chance under their own label(s).

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/03/2003, 10:52 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Yeah, no one was saying he's terrible because he's fat, I'm not sure where you got that mixed up? For me, I can tell whose good and whose not after only a few sketches. Christina I knew after only one sketch that she is cut for MADtv, same with Ron and Josh (overtime). Then again, Stephnie Weir took 2 years to get to the stardom she's at now but I always liked her and knew she could be great one day. Paul just comes across really annoying to me to the point he's almost obnoxious. But even if I did find him funny, it takes more than that to be a great MADtv castmember. He just doesn't make great chemistry and is a little different in comedic style from the rest of the cast. Plus, if he gets hired, Frank is in trouble of getting fired, which worries me. Or more to the point, it means that someone who is funnier (Ron, Christina, Josh) will have their spot taken by a "tag" as Angie said that's already being currently filled. I think I'd die if Ron Pederson didn't return next year, he's my favourite. It would make my even more upset if Paul (my least favourite) took his spot. That's the main point I'm trying to make here: this is my biggest worry.

Old 03/03/2003, 1:38 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Yeah, no one was saying he's terrible because he's fat, I'm not sure where you got that mixed up?
Exactly. Frank Caliendo's fat, and I think he's awesome. Will Sasso was fat in his first three seasons, and he was good then too. Actually, I thought Will was quite good when he was fat but incredibly irritating when he was skinny.

Anyway, CriticalI, I think you're expecting great things too soon. First of all, you're basing your opinions on only two sketches - Angela and Piano Bar.

Also, I don't think most of the country agrees with you. Well, first of all, most of the country doesn't know Paul. But anyway, the official website said "buzzing around". If you think the site that plugs the show doesn't put EVERYTHING in a higher light than it really is, you're nuts, that's how all sites for TV shows work. I think buzzing meant that they received a few emails asking about him in rather close time, not literally THOUSANDS of people. I don't see the newspapers declaring "PAUL VOGT LEAVES ENTIRE WORLD IN ABSOLUTE AWE", lmao. I know you're excited about Paul because you really liked him in those two sketches, but I don't think you can totally and completely praise someone after a couple appearances.

BTW, the reason why I didn't express things I highly disliked about Ron was because there wasn't anything to diss him about, he's a very good actor IMO. Paul, on the other hand, isn't, well, at first anyway. We'll have to see.
Old 03/03/2003, 3:07 PM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87

Anyway, CriticalI, I think you're expecting great things too soon. First of all, you're basing your opinions on only two sketches - Angela and Piano Bar.

I know you're excited about Paul because you really liked him in those two sketches, but I don't think you can totally and completely praise someone after a couple appearances.

BTW, the reason why I didn't express things I highly disliked about Ron was because there wasn't anything to diss him about, he's a very good actor IMO. Paul, on the other hand, isn't, well, at first anyway. We'll have to see.
This made me laugh out loud.
"Hypocritical" is the only word I can muster.
Isn't that what YOU did from the get go!?

You watched one episode and TRASHED Paul!! To be honest, YOU made Paul the underdog that everyone is cheering for!! I didn't start posting to "praise" Paul - I started posting because I felt like it wasn't fair that you put him through the THRASHER before he even had a chance! I'm defending him because you were so mean and hurtful.

As for "liking him after 2 sketches"? I liked him before he was even on MADtv. (Again, he was the ONLY reason to watch the Rerun Show!) I liked him as the JEWISH TREE SALESMAN. I like him as the guy who came home and found Whitney in his house (a funny STRAIGHT guy role w/ his REAL voice - hmmmm). I really like the WINONA STOLE CHRISTMAS sketch - which BTW was PAUL's voice-over and singing I believe. I can't wait to see what he does this week!

If, God forbid, his family should stumble upon this site (or worse, even Paul himself) it would be appalling! (Maybe I should try to track him down and forward some of your postings and see if HE thinks being judge because of his FAT is fine! Or better yet... that you've decided you HATE him after his ONE annoying ELF sketch... or that his "real" voice is ruining MADtv FOREVER!) Take a chill.

Move on to more constructive arguments. Be positive and peaceful for a minute.

If everyone listened to (and believed) HURTFUL first-impressions - Stephnie wouldn't be on the show right now!! So maybe we should try to be a little more careful and NOT jump to HATRED so easily.

"PAUL VOGT LEAVES ENTIRE WORLD IN ABSOLUTE AWE"

Yippee! I love it!!
GO PAUL!!
Good for you!

"I"
Old 03/03/2003, 4:02 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
[B If, God forbid, his family should stumble upon this site (or worse, even Paul himself) it would be appalling! (Maybe I should try to track him down and forward some of your postings and see if HE thinks being judge because of his FAT is fine! Or better yet... that you've decided you HATE him after his ONE annoying ELF sketch... or that his "real" voice is ruining MADtv FOREVER!) Take a chill.

Move on to more constructive arguments. Be positive and peaceful for a minute.[/B]

Listen. I think we've all backed our opinions enough that we don't just shout out random radical remarks. And when will you get a clue NO one hates him because he's fat, so why do you insist of continuing this rediculas finger pointing. Most of us like Frank very much: he's fat. And you know what, this message board was designed so we could post our opinions freely, we can write whatever we like. Blackwind reads all the posts and one of the rules is that if we bash a castmember without constructive criticism, we get a booting warning. That hasn't happened for a year. As for familys, why would they care afterall, they would understand just as you said that not everyone likes every other castmember, isn't that right? It's perfectly alright to tell us that you disagree with our opinions and like Paul but to dictate to us how we shouldn't be allowed to express our opinions because to you, for some reason, are possibly too hurtful in case a family member stumbled upon here is ludicris! We're not in Kindergarten anymore, that wooley rule doesn't apply in here. Haha.

Old 03/03/2003, 6:10 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:

If everyone listened to (and believed) HURTFUL first-impressions - Stephnie wouldn't be on the show right now!! So maybe we should try to be a little more careful and NOT jump to HATRED so easily.
"I"
Now come on, everybody attacked Stephnie as soon as season six ended. But she turned out to be the star of season eight. Maybe Paul will end up that way, maybe not. But you see, criticism is all a part of being an actor. There's no way you'll live without it. We can all be hypercritical sometimes, and Paul was great on the Rerun Show, but Ian didn't say anything like "Paul is VERY ANNOYING and he can go to hell" in his reviews.
Old 03/03/2003, 6:50 PM
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you can totally and completely praise someone after a couple appearances.
**coughcoughjill-michellecoughcoughchristinacoughcough**

Old 03/03/2003, 7:05 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by R&S Fan

**coughcoughnone of us even praised her very much, and they weren't horrible or even mediocre and when we first saw them on the show, they showed talentcoughcough**

The thing is, Paul Vogt was kinda annoying when he joined the show, that's why he has a big steaming hole in his reputation. Both Jill and Christina showed some talent during their first performances, and none of us even praised her very much. Alex Borstein wasn't any different when she first joined the show; she showed talent, but she didn't shine that much until seasons four and five.

So at least have something noteworthy to say before you make a rebuttal.
Old 03/03/2003, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by R&S Fan
1.) Jill-Michele made more than "just a couple" of appearances. There's only one "L" by the way.
2.) I don't think Christina's awesome, I like what I see so far, but I can't be sure. The reason why I say to add her as a regular is because she's the only damn girl featured player, and they only hire past featured players it seems.

CriticalI, two words for you: ƒuck off. I've tried to be reasonable, I've backed up my opinions, I don't spew out senseless racist remarks. And frankly, I've had enough. I think a Paul Vogt forum would be better than you, since you can't seem to accept that on a MAD board, people have opinions about different cast members that range from one extreme to the other.
You better pray Blackwind doesn't ban your ass, there was a problem with a member last year crying out that everybody here were homophobes, just like you now calling us racist and pro-thin. We're here to talk about "MADtv", not to argue about who's racist and who's not.

Like you pointed out, Paul made NUMEROUS appearances in his first episode - six, I believe, if you can't the cartoon. In his one episode he appeared more than Christina in her three. It's much easier to get a quicker feel for him. And if you clearly read my above posts it was MUCH more than just the horrible Elf performance that he did that bugged me. I've lost count of the number of times I've acknowledged Paul has some real talent and can give in excellent performances. What more do you want?

Clearly you cannot accept that some people cannot stand Paul just like we couldn't stand any other actor. If you think I singled out Paul and I think he's the only person who's given bad performances on the show, you're insane! Paul's performance can't hold a candle to how bad Sasso was last season. Next time you express dislike about a performance from Stephnie Weir, who is my personal favorite, I'll make sure to go on and on about you being sexist

FYI, I'm damn mixed race, don't you DARE call me racist. You don't know me, don't act like you do! And Frank is my favorite of the male cast? and guess what? He's fat! I don't care about a person's size - I care about a person's humor.

My post may have made you laugh. Your post just made me roll my eyes.
Old 03/03/2003, 8:53 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I think why I like Christina so much is that (well, how she acted like Ms. Congeniality like in the movie where she pledges some akward thing like "all women to have handcuffs....and wolr peace". Anyways, after attempts to hire a 4th women have failed the last couple of times, (most disapointing was Kathryn, I really miss Jill-Michele now she was a great actress) you tend to clamp onto whoever they throw our way. I must admit, I'd rather Jill or Kathryn instead and if she didn't get hired, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Ron Pederson and Josh Meyers should be perminants. Where do you get those petitions from anyway?

Old 03/03/2003, 11:43 PM
Regular

Quote:
1.) Jill-Michele made more than "just a couple" of appearances. There's only one "L" by the way.
I'm talking about after her first episode. Everybody here was all making a big deal about her; she basically got her own fan club here already. You said, you can't completely praise someone after a couple appearances, but that's what a lot of people here did.

Quote:
Both Jill and Christina showed some talent during their first performances, and none of us even praised her very much.
Read above.

Old 03/04/2003, 3:58 AM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87

CriticalI, two words for you: ƒuck off.

You better pray Blackwind doesn't ban your ass...

Next time you express dislike about a performance from Stephnie Weir, who is my personal favorite, I'll make sure to go on and on about you being sexist

Two words comes to me: Nice mouth.

I'm not the one that resorted to HATEFUL LANGUAGE.

You told me once to "take a chill pill" - and I am (and have been) calm as can be. I've never been disrespectful of other people's opinions. You have done that. As the old saying goes: Physician, heal thyself.

As for Stephnie - I didn't say ANYTHING bad about her. I ADORE her. If you've noticed I put her in the same category as Mary S. (another woman I watched and respected). My point was that people lashed out against Steph when she started on the show (just like you have lashed out against Paul and Ike) and now she is beloved. That was the point, nothing more.

So relax. You can stop rolling your eyes.
"I"
Old 03/04/2003, 4:29 AM
Get down tonight!

** coughcoughwhyiseveryonecoughingsomuchcoughcough**

Old 03/04/2003, 6:07 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Yes we respect your opinion, we strongly disagree with it. Because we do disagree you resorted to the left-wing style of mud slinging accusing everyone that disagreed with you of being "anti-fat". How is that respecting our opinion. It's like if we don't like Orlando or Aries or Bobby we're automatically rascist; that's why everyone has been annoyed with you.

Old 03/04/2003, 7:48 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Aggghhhh!! I'm feeling a bit like Tweak right now...I can't take the pressure! Matt will never leave me and the other mods alone with this site again! LOL!

Seriously, I think we all need to settle down and leave this topic alone. It's getting a bit too hot in here. The same goes for the other thread (Season 9 Cast Predictions). Can we all just agree to disagree? If not, please tone down the debate a notch so that Matt doesn't attempt to kick my ass when he gets back.

Simmer down now! Simma don-na!

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/04/2003, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Yes we respect your opinion, we strongly disagree with it. Because we do disagree you resorted to the left-wing style of mud slinging accusing everyone that disagreed with you of being "anti-fat". How is that respecting our opinion. It's like if we don't like Orlando or Aries or Bobby we're automatically rascist; that's why everyone has been annoyed with you.
Exactly. CriticalI, you're like a Bunifa copy of sorts. If you don't like something, "is it cuz he's BLACK? is it cuz he's FAT?" lol BTW my Stephnie comparison wasn't meaning that you dislike her - I was pointing out that if you said something bad about her, I could say you're sexist just like you did with me when it comes to Aries and Paul.

Okay, it's the next day.. I've cooled down.

CriticalI, I'm willing to call a truce.

But do understand a few things..

1.) I have nothing, read: NOTHING against Paul personally. And that goes for every cast member, no matter how much I can't stand them. I do not know any of them personally one bit, so I do not judge them on a personal level, because that isn't fair.

2.) I do not judge a cast member on their race, physical build, being gay, or anything like that. Like I said, I'm mixed-raced, and I don't hold prejudice about anything, let alone something that's a part of me. I judge them on their humor. Like I said, Phil and Aries are both black; Phil = funny, Aries = not funny. I judge solely on humor.

3.) I've said it about 10 times already, and I'll say it again. I don't think Paul is a horrible actor. I said that I didn't like his first performances, but I have liked a couple from more recently, so I believe he has potential.

4.) The reason why I can judge Paul pretty easily from his first episode is because he appeared so much. He was featured in six sketches, he totally dominated it and IMO stunk it up and dragged it down, which is the reason why I was dissatisfied with the Christmas episode and with him. Christina, in her first episode, had a supporting role in one sketch, and therefore that one small performance couldn't help or hinder an episode like that.

5.) You can't go around here calling everyone racist because they disagree. Like I said, there was a problem last year with a member calling everyone homophobic, and it killed all "MADtv" discussion and gave a negative aura. We don't need that again.

To R&S fan, I can't speak for those people, because I was not among them. I was really impressed with Jill's first episode though, mainly because all of the featured players' first episodes are never that great, not even Kathryn and Stephnie's. However Jill made an exception and gave better performances than anybody else in that episode with her two appearances (although there were only six new sketches anyway, one of them being Kenny Rogers's Jackass meaning a very sucky Will impression), so everybody was quite surprised by this because they didn't expect it; especially because we all knew she was there to replace Kathryn, who everybody loved anyway, so she had big shoes to fill. I couldn't fairly say she was fantastic overall, but she had an impressive first episode, and her performances really stood out considering that episode (#722) stunk pretty bad.
Old 03/04/2003, 11:35 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers
[B]please tone down the debate a notch so that Matt doesn't attempt to kick my ass when he gets back.B]
Why on Earth would Matt do that Angie? He already has a girlfriend, Mel, to do that to.

Old 03/04/2003, 1:12 PM

Where is Mel BTW?