Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/20/2003, 8:30 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Most musicians are pretty bad i agree. I like Mandy Moore though "Gets a steppin' bitch!" that was classic! Debra from Blondie was pretty good too I thought.

Old 02/20/2003, 9:08 PM
Geometry Sucks.

Hope this week's performance turns out all right, even though I'm dying for more material.
Old 02/21/2003, 11:12 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

There's supposed to be a sketch called "Swirly Time" starring Frank Caliendo break dancing. Plus, Ike will be portraying Nick Nolte (who is Nick Nolte, must be an American thing?) in the next few episodes.

Old 02/22/2003, 3:38 AM
Get down tonight!

Nick Nolte is an actor. He's appeared in Cannery Row, Down And Out In Beverly Hills, Cape Fear, The Prince Of Tides, Lorenzo's Oil, Blue Chips, I Love Trouble, Afterglow, U Turn, Nightwatch, The Thin Red Line, Breakfast Of Champion, Investigating Sex and The Hulk. And he was recently arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Old 02/22/2003, 8:14 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Kai pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'll have to find his DUI mugshot, it's so funny...
Old 02/22/2003, 8:38 PM
Get down tonight!

Care of The Smoking Gun

Old 02/22/2003, 9:49 PM
Regular

I just noticed something hilarious about that R. Kelly sketch. The album name was "R. Kelly in A Minor"
Old 02/22/2003, 9:52 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Supergrass is British... kudos to that yo!

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 02/22/2003, 10:30 PM
Totally F****able

Man...........that countdown was a total ripoff.............I mean i totally voted for the number two video..........but I'LL BE DARNED IF THE R KELLY VIDEO DESERVED TO BE NUMBER ONE...........OH CRAP I SHOULDN'T HAVE RUINED IT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET............SORRY

Freakin teenaged bandwagon fans.............Next time they do this they should ban anyone who can't name a sketch from each of the 8 seasons and describe it in detail from voting........... "whatever dont matter" should have been on the top three...............DARNIT I DID IT AGAIN

Other than that...............this episode ranks as definitely one of the unfunniest episodes this season.

Aries MJ impression totally just sucks. He should quit while he's still got some pride left in him.

Stephnie did a good job (again) although I didnt like the whole football player/cheerleader sketch all that much. The other sketch with Paul was hilarious.

Stuart was just horrible...........except for the part where Mo looked totally ready to lose it. RETIRE IT ALREADY.............completely unfunny.

The beginning of Daphne Aguilera was stupid and not funny at all.....Mo and Michael playing themselves pretty much sucked, as did the other cast members being themselves.....

OK OK OK THERE WAS ONE THING THAT STOOD OUT AS HELL@ FUNNY...........THE ANIMATION ECSTACY SKETCH..............THAT FRIGGIN ROCKED!!!!!!!!!

the band performance wasn't that good, and that ryan seacrest or whatever wasn't funny at all..............Plus wasn't anna nicole smith supposed to be in this episode?????

Ok i'm done ranting/reviewing

My two cents :clown:
Old 02/22/2003, 10:32 PM
Geometry Sucks.

MADtv starts in 1:30 hours in Los Angeles, and I'm tired of the suspense. Can somebody tell me which sketches won?
Old 02/22/2003, 10:50 PM
Totally F****able

3. Hidin In My Closet

2. Lady Mad TV

1. The Greatest
Old 02/22/2003, 10:59 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Michael Jackson Movie
Angela: Obesity
Ryan Seacrest #1
Stuart- Chinese Restaurant
Ryan Seacrest #2
Hidin' In My Closet
Filthy
Ecstacy Cartoon
Ryan Seacrest #3
Lady MADtv
Piano Bar
Ryan Seacrest #4
Nelly Introduces...
The Greatest
Supergrass Performance
Angela: Closing

I liked Stephnie's work tonight, the cartoon and especially Christina as Stuart's foil (probably the best foil ever!) but that was it. This episode wasn't a tribute for music. It was a sneaky way of making a new episode from about 20 minutes of left over new sketches, throwing in a cartoon (this was good) 3 old videos (Shakira didn't even make it) a bunch of Ryan Seacrest, Nelly and Supergrass and Daphne Aguilera (Blah!). The only fresh material it had was Angela, Stuart, Jacko and the Piano Bar. This was disapointing overall: some prominant castmembers were totally absent from new material. The show had it's funny moments but there sure as hell better not be ANY encores the rest of the season!

Old 02/23/2003, 5:07 AM

I'll post my full review in the morning, quick overview right now.

Once again, Stephnie steals the show in this episode, probably because she was pretty much the only one to do some really good stuff.

Like many season eight episodes, this one started off excellently and really went downhill in the second half.

I agree with Mad Dog, this was a cheap way to turn out an episode, they're getting lazy again. There was only six new sketches here, seven if you count the closing. It's pathetic that this is all they would do for a Sweeps episode

I noticed Debra was absent, other than as Melina in the reairing, actually maybe not I think she might've done one of the babies' voices in the MJ sketch. Anyway, it doesn't really surprise me, as she's been appearing really frequently this season that they didn't have very many of her sketches left over yet.

Okay, there was some serious rigging going on in that Top 3 video countdown. "Hidin' In My Closet" in #3, okay, that's believable, it was very good, I was thinking it had a chance. "Lady MADtv" earned 2nd place, just as I predicted. But "The Greatest" as #1? COME ON! The parody was good, but definitely one of the weakest of the bunch. These 3 videos ALL beating out "Whatever Don't Matter"? Yeah, I'm sure

Michael Jackson one was very good. The Jackson impression is one of Aries's best, which means that it doesn't constitute as bad like most of them. It's still pretty weak though, Phil was SO much better. Anyway, the sketch itself had a weird premise but I still really liked it.

Angela was probably my favorite sketch of the night. This was written excellently by Stephnie, and all the performances especially from Paul (surprise) and Stephnie. Excellent stuff.

Ryan Seacrest was okay here, not completely horrible like he was in the season premiere.

I really enjoyed the Stuart one. Michael continues to do new things with Stuart (succesfully) this season, and Doreen was back to her more normal, very funny self (unlike the Piano and Park ones). Plus, it wasn't overly long like many Stuart sketches are. Christina and Ron were great too. Was this sketch the only one that Bobby appeared in?

Daphne Aguleira, while I'm not sure if it was as good as it was last season, was pretty good. I'm not able to fully judge it, because at that point I started getting really sick, so couldn't pay full attention to it. Luckily everything taped this time around.

The Ecstasy one was great. Good concept, and the commentary was pretty funny too. Plus, I give them credit - the animators captured the drawing style perfectly, I knew immediately what they were spoofing.

I really disliked the Piano Bar one. Again, I was feeling sick, especially at this point, but from what I saw it was pretty bad. Paul was annoying, the premise was really weird, and the writing stunk. Stephnie was excellent though, but that's pretty much the only up side of the sketch.

The musical performance I didn't really pay attention to, because I was feeling really queasy at that point, but from what I saw it was just okay.

The closing was pretty funny.
Old 02/23/2003, 7:38 AM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Well, we knew the countdown wouldn't be good, I guess. But wow, I would've never picked any of those videos as being the top 3. I mean, I had a feeling that the Soundalike one wouldn't make it simply because if a lot of people missed the original episode it aired in, all they'd have to go by is the small photo on the poll site of Ray Charles. They should've put up 30 second snippets of every video for people to choose from.

Onto the episode. The Michael Jackson/Look Who's Talking This Time wasn't very good. Certainly not good enough to be an opener.

The school project for Angela was pretty cute, once again. I love all these sketches!

Stuart/Chinese Restaurant was also pretty good, as far as Stuart sketches go. It had a lot of funny moments.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Daphne Aguilera sketch. It wasn't nearly as long as I thought it'd be. And it was funny. Maybe Andy Dick is just growing on me since I've been watching Less Than Perfect all season long. I never used to like him much.

The Ecstacy cartoon was funny as hell! Nice little parody there!

The gay piano player wasn't that interesting, but it wasn't horrible.

I'm glad there were a few high points to this episode, because if there weren't --with THAT countdown involved, I would've said "worst episode ever!"

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 02/23/2003, 8:51 AM

Michael Jackson Movie: Honey I Touched the Kids – In the preview for this movie, the show footage from the bizarre MJ documentary. The voice of Michael’s (Aries Spears) baby is from Billy Crystal, the voice of Prince is Robin Williams, and the voice of Roseanne as Paris. This had a bizarre premise, but it was executed well and got me to laugh pretty hard. Jackson is one of Aries’s better impressions, although that certainly isn’t saying much. Phil LaMarr’s impression is much better than Aries’s, but Aries is still okay, it’s certainly better than most of the bland performances he’s given this season.
4/5

Angela: Eating Disorder Project – In this school project, Angela (Stephnie Weir) says that football causes eating disorders in girls. So she has her fat Canadian cousin Natalie (Paul Vogt) go over to a bunch of football football players (Josh Meyers, Frank Caliendo, and Ike Barinholtz), expecting them to make fun of her, but they end up falling in love with her. The cheerleaders come over, and not even the male cheerleader (Ron Pederson) makes fun of her. In the end, Angela tries to befriend them, and they all tackle her. This character is already in very fine form, and her sketches are always written very well by Stephnie. The performances here, especially from Paul (surprisingly) and Stephnie. I guess Paul is really good as long as he doesn’t use his real voice, which is incredibly annoying, and he didn’t here, and he therefore gave a great performance.
5/5

Ryan Seacrest Commentary – Guest star Ryan Seacrest introduces the Top 3 music videos and saying when they’ll air. I expected him to be completely horrible like he was in episode #801, but he wasn’t. He was still very dull, don’t get me wrong, but he wasn’t absolutely terrible.
2/5

Stuart: Chinese Restaurant – In this installment, Stuart (Michael McDonald) and Doreen (Mo Collins) go to a Chinese restaurant (Bobby Lee plays the host), where he annoys a woman who hates children (Christina Moore) and her boyfriend (Ron). Throughout, Stuart think she’s a lesbian because she has short hair, and he makes fun of her, and he also comments on Doreen’s Chinese stereotypes. I really enjoyed this; once again, Michael tries something different with Stuart and really succeeds. What makes this even better is that Doreen, unlike her other season eight sketches, isn’t as weird and is funnier. Definitely one of the best Stuart sketches. Good performances from everybody here.
5/5

Winner #3 – Music Video Parody: “Hiding in My Closet” by George W. Bush [#806] – In this parody of Eminem’s “Cleaning Out My Closet”, Bush (Frank) raps about how he’s intimidated by his demanding mother Barbara (Mo). I really liked this parody, I can see how it made the Top 3. The lyrics were pretty clever, both Mo and especially Frank gave in top-notch performances, much better than Christian Duguay and Will Sasso’s Bush impressions. The satire of both Eminem and the Bushes are pretty sharp as well. Awesome video parody.
5/5

Daphne Aguleira: “Filthy” – In the beginning of this sketch, Michael and Mo are doing a sketch about Winona Ryder, but Michael screws up. Mo asks him why he keeps screwing up, and he says it’s because his girlfriend, Daphne Aguleira (guest star Andy Dick) is in the audience. Daphne comes down, starts complaining, and at Michael’s request performs her song “Filthy”. The performance ends up a mess, with Daphne very put-off, and she assaults fans (Paul, Simon Helberg, Josh). This was good, not as good as the Daphne sketch last season, but still good. The satire of Christina is very sharp, and like last time Andy is very funny and works very well with the cast, which isn’t too common for a guest star. Mo was also good, Michael was a little annoying but was okay. Something to note is that this is Simon Helberg’s last appearance on the show, unfortunately.
4/5

Anxiety Medication: Ecstasy – In this animated parody of that commercial with the egg thing being depressed, it says that if you’ve lost interest in the things you love, which shows a picture of a hooker, that you should try Ecstasy, which will make you happier. It shows scenes of the egg thing being stoned, and eventually dies from “rare severe side effects”. This was excellent. The concept was funny, and this was animated; plus, the animators captured the drawing of the original commercial perfectly well, I thought it was quite impressive.
5/5

Winner #2 – Music Video Parody: “Lady MADtv” (#701) – In this parody of “Lady Marmalade” from Moulin Rouge, Melina (Debra Wilson), Dot (Stephnie), Lorraine (Mo), and Ms. Swan (Alex Borstein) make a music video, with Missy Elliot (Aries) doing the rapping. I liked this a lot. The characters, particularly Lorraine, provided some funny moments. Dot was actually kind of annoying, and Melina seemed water-downed, but her and the other two characters were still good. I expected this to make #2.
4/5

Piano Bar – In this sketch, a bar piano player (Paul) sings songs about his waitress girlfriend (Stephnie). I didn’t like this. It had a stupid premise, and Paul’s singing was very annoying (he used his normal voice). Stephnie was her usual excellent self, but that was the only good aspect of the sketch; the songs’ lyrics were okay.
2/5

Winner #1 – Music Video Parody: “The Greatest” by R, Kelly – In this parody, R. Kelly (Aries Spears) sings about his sex with a minor accusations. This was good, but there’s no way in hell this could’ve been #1, it was one of the weakest of the choices; Mo’s wildly popular Shakira parody “Whatever Don’t Matter” was seemingly guaranteed to be #1, and I find it highly unbelievable that it didn’t even crack the Top 3. A disappointing #1, even if it was good.
4/5

Musical Performance: Supergrass – This wasn’t bad, but it was really boring, it took a lot for me to pay attention to it.
2/5

Close – Angela: Football – Angela continues to be tormented by the football players and cheerleaders. This was okay.
3/5

Overall – This was a sweeps episode? It’s an embarrassing episode for sweeps month. This was so obviously a cheap shot for the show, reairing three sketches and a musical performance. Like many season eight episodes, this one started off excellently and went really downhill in the second half hour. Most of the sketches here were good, but there were only six new sketches, which is way too low, especially for a sweeps episode. As for the cast members, Mo and especially Stephnie stood out, mainly because they were the only two to get some really good roles, and they dominated the show. The rest were basically absent, because of the low number of sketches. Actually, Debra was completely absent, and Bobby appeared for about 10 seconds and was otherwise not present. Most of the material here ranged from good to excellent, but there was so little of it, everything balances out for an okay episode. [b]size=4]7/10[/size].

Last edited by koolboee cdmo87; 02/23/2003 at 5:04 PM.
Old 02/23/2003, 10:39 AM
Totally F****able

From what i read in my tv weekly.............next weeks episode appears to be a re run............It might be either episode #804 or #805..............

Damn reruns..........
Old 02/23/2003, 11:13 AM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

omg! episodes #804 and #805 both sucked. They better not repeat either of those episodes. I want episode #813 to be shown cuz that was the episode that didn't tape
Old 02/23/2003, 11:23 AM
Totally F****able

hey Mike mcdonald girl...........thought you might be interested to know that mike's supposed to be on the show Pyramid on tuesday playing against kathy najimy
Old 02/23/2003, 12:15 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

OMG! i gotta get my tape set up!
Old 02/23/2003, 12:49 PM

They've already shown a repeat of #804, as well as #803 and #802.