Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 8 (2002-2003)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/28/2003, 5:46 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

John Madden Advertises FOX - John Madden (Frank Caliendo) advertises the FOX primetime line-up. He also says he'll be hosting this Superbowl episode of "MADtv". Unfortunately, this just doesn't hold a candle to past Madden sketches, which were always hilarious, so this wasn't definitely a disappointment. The impression here is actually very bland and he looks different, it looks like it was done in a hurry. Still, the way he described the FOX line-up was somewhat funny, but unfortunately didn't really save it. Overall, this wasn't very good, and it's definitely the weakest opening sketch of the season and the worst performance Frank has given this season.
/5

The Heave Boat - ABC starts a new show called "The Heave Boat", and everybody throws up all the time. Michael McDonald, Frank Caliendo, Aries Spears, Stephnie Weir, Paul Vogt, Bobby Lee, Debra Wilson, and Mo Collins all make brief appearances. It only shows the opening credits, which I was quite happy about, because then they wouldn't stretch this one-joke thing out. But then again, all it showed was a bunch of people throwing up. Honestly, this is one of the weirdest and stupidest things the show has ever done. Still, Stephnie and Paul (surprisingly), and the Barbi twins as the guest stars got me to laugh, and it wasn't too long. Overall, a terrible, boring little sketch, but it was very short.
/5

Spishak: Hey It's Ovens for Kids - In this Spishak installment, the first since season five, the new Spishak guy (Josh Meyers) introduces a new Easy-Bake Oven to a mother (Debra Wilson) and her daughter. The Spishak oven doesn't have "those light bulbs that can burn your hands", but it's a regular gas oven. Eventually, the Spishak guy lights a match for the oven, and the house explodes because of the gas. Throughout, they have different girls playing Debra's daughter because something always happens to them, eventually even having a blond white girl. This was very funny, I thought, MUCH better than the boring first two sketches, and the episode really picks up from here. Josh's Spishak guy isn't as good as Pat Kilbane's, but he still holds his own. Debra was funny as well. Overall, a very good sketch, and it's great to see the Spishak parodies again, I don't know why they never had another guy play the Spishak guy after Pat Kilbane left, it's not like the sketches revolved around him.
/5

Adopted Korean Baby - A woman (Stephnie) shows off her new baby that she adopted from Korea (Bobby) to another woman (Debra). The baby is really a 30-year-old man, but the women don't understand this. He keeps yelling in Korean, and they think he is doing baby-talk. When another woman brings her Korean baby, the two men make an escape plan. The "baby" pretends to walk for the first time, much to the amazement of the mother, and then he punches her and runs away. This was VERY funny! Bobby is very funny here, but so is Stephnie and Debra. Stephnie wrote this sketch, and she is very sharp, and it was short, so the joke wasn't overkilled. Her idea is also quite original. Overall, an excellent sketch with very strong performances from all three cast members here, and strong writing..
/5

Prehistoric Glamazon Huntresses A.D.: With Eggroll You Get Danger Part 2 - In this sketch, Zamula (Stephnie) invents a time machine. At one point, a holographic dinosaur kills Mikayla (guest star Jillian Barberie from "Good Day LA"), so the Huntresses flee. Throughout, Alexis's (Debra) top falls off, and Takka (Mo) continues to flirt constantly with Mikayla. These parodies ALWAYS hit their mark, and this installment is no exception, it was very funny. I thought Jillian's weather forecast thing was really dumb, I know they did it because she's from "Good Day LA", but it just doesn't fit the parody style of these sketches. Stephnie was hilarious here as the quirky Zamula, all the times she said "you are not a scientist from the future as I am", and all her other lines, the way she executed them were so funny. There were several hilights to this, so I won't get into them, but I was crying with laughter at this one. Mo and Debra were excellent here as well, and, aside from the weather forecast crap, Jillian was good as well. It looks like this installment is here to stay (no complaints), and they're really defining the characters: Zamula - "You are not a scientist", Takka - always flirting with Mikayla, Alexis - her yell-talking, Mikayla - dying in every installment and being played by someone else. Overall, an excellent sketch with hilarious performances, especially from Stephnie.
/5

Vegas Calls - The city of Las Vegas keeps calling a woman (Stephnie), telling her to come back. Eventually, Vegas starts stalking her. Debra appears as an office worker, Michael as her husband, and Bobby as an FBI agent. Purposely meant to be very confusing. This was so incredibly stupid, it was funny. Still, the premise wasn't that great. But Stephnie's reactions were so damn funny, it redeems this sketch to be quite a good one. This sketch kinda reminds me of the Your Cheatin' Head one in episode #113.
/5

Showing Off Self-Defense - A woman (Stephnie) tells two of her friends (Mo and Debra) about the self-defense she's been taking from a lesbian named Jill. She calls in her son (Michael), who is a big rough football player who has "killed four people this season alone", to use her self-defense moves against him. But none of them work, and she just gets beat up. Finally, she just pulls out a gun, and it works. This was just superb! Stephnie once again steals the sketch, and the great strengths of the Weir-McDonald team really show here, as their chemistry here is fantastic, and they both co-wrote this sketch; their writing was very sharp and original. Several highlights to this as well, especially when she's describing the "one, two, flee" thing, haha. Stephnie was just so amazing here, even when it comes to gestures, look at her face at the end of the sketch, lmao (kinda reminds me of that Werewolf one in #711). Mo and Debra were also excellent as the two ladies, especially Mo when she said "maybe you should get your money back from this little lesbian". Overall, a brilliant sketch in just about every aspect.
/5

Evander Holyfield's Fashion Line - Evander Holyfield (Aries) advertises his new fashion line on QVC (Debra plays the interviewer). His outfits include things like a one-pant-leg-suit. His line sells like wildfire, so when they ring their "millionaire seller bell", he confuses it with a boxing match bell, and punches the interviewer. Other than a very brief appearance in the Heave Boat sketch, this is once again the only new appearance Aries makes in an episode, and it's with another one of his generic impressions (#805 - Wayne Brady, #806 - Aries Spears Show, now this; also appearing only once in #803 and #807). I don't know why Aries thinks they're so sharp and funny, they aren't. They're just too plain and similar too. The Holyfield impression isn't bad, but it's hard to understand him, his tone drones on so it's hard to understand him, so it's just dull. Still, the costumes were funny, Debra had some funny lines, and this was actually a good parody of typical QVC sales pitches. Overall, okay; the episode started to lose steam at this point.
/5

MADtv ENCORE - The Lost Interracial Footage of the Wizard of Oz (#519) - This is the second time this sketch has been Encored. A former Munchkin shows some lost footage from the Wizard of Oz movie, which were cut out of the film because of interracial romance. The scenes show Dorothy (Mo), the Scarecrow (Pat Kilbane), the Tinman (Michael), and the Cowardly Lion (Will Sasso) running into an escaped slave named Jasper (Aries), who lost his leg. He says he wants to see the Wizard to get his freedom, but ultimately decides to just settle for a leg. He then does a musical number about "if he only had a leg". Then him and Dorothy have sex. This has to be one of the show's most overrated sketches ever, it's never deserved this much attention. The impressions of the first four cast members were excellent. But the premise was stupid, and Aries was bad. Overall, this was a bad sketch, but because of the exceptional impressions, this wasn't terrible.
/5

Curing Hiccups - A man (guest star Jerry O'Connel) has hiccups, and his coworker (guest star Anthony Anderson) tries to cure them by screaming. Another coworker (Ike Barinholtz) walks in and tries to surprise him by screaming. The guy's boss calls him on the phone, screams, and the hiccups still aren't cured. A gay coworker (Josh) walks in, and screams. Then a woman selling donuts (Mo) keeps screaming, because she has a disorder. Finally, a cop (Ron Pederson) walks in, and fires shots in the air; this cures the guy's hiccups, but he and his coworkers are shot and die. I don't like sketches with excessive screaming, but this wasn't terrible. Jerry and Ike were okay in this one, Anthony and Ron were pretty good, Josh was very good as the gay coworker; the funniest person here was Mo, with her Lorraine-like voice. Because of Mo's performance, and kinda Josh's too, this was overall an okay sketch, but it pales in comparison to the other one-off sketches in this episode.
/5

CLOSE - Madden Closes the Episode - John Madden now starts complaining that nothing in this so-called "Superbowl episode" had anything to do with the Superbowl, and then he goes on to say how much he hates football and the companies he advertises for. Then he says he can do that stretching circus things, and he shows his moves. The impression still isn't very good here, unfortunately, but it was better than the opening; the sketch was better here too. Okay, overall.

Overall - This is probably the most uneven episode of the season so far. There were a few bad ones, a couple okay ones, and a few excellent ones. Still, the excellent ones were VERY, VERY good. I was extremely happy with this episode, it's definitely better than all the episodes since #808. Two things are very key elements in this episode's success. One, the one-off sketches. They haven't been very prominant this season, averaging only about one or sometimes two per episode, which is disappointing, but there were four (!) of them here (in addition to a Spishak sketch), two of them were superb, one great, and one okay. It felt like watching classic MADtv episodes, very reminiscient of the first three seasons. Second, Stephnie Weir. All the sketches with her in it were the best ones. She put in hilarious performances, and even contributed very funny writing. She just gets better and better, she really is such a huge asset to the show now; she's amazing. Three other cast members deserve a small mention. Mo was very funny in all her roles, and she just proves to STILL be one of the best cast members EVER to be on the show. Bobby returns after a two-episode absence, and contributes a couple very funny roles, especially the Korean Baby one; I didn't like him initially, but he has gotten funnier as the season has gone on. Josh also returned after a long absence, which was nice, still not getting very many roles anymore, but his two appearances here were very funny. Unfortunately, two cast members disappointed me here. It looks like it's official that Aries has returned to the dullness he had in his first three seasons; he just doesn't contribute much to the show, which is sad to see, as he is my favorite season six cast member and favorite male season seven cast member. I like Frank a lot, but he put in some bland roles in this episode, which is very rare for him. He again appeared in sketches alone; and that's the one and only thing I don't like about Frank, he's too detached from the rest of the cast. Debra dominated the show, which is typical of season eight, but Stephnie and Mo did too. Jill was absent again; Ike, Ron, Paul, and Aries barely appeared at all. As for the guest stars: Jillian Barberie was good for the most part, Anthony Anderson was good, and Jerry O'Connel was pretty good. Overall though, this was a very good episode. But because of a handful of duds, it's marked down to a 9/10

Old 05/07/2004, 4:14 AM
26/07/16!!

Default Episode #812

Since there are already some awesome reviews here i dont think i will bother reviewing this one.

Overall it was an interesting episode, the four one off sketches were good as well as the spishak sketch, the rest were mediocre at best.

I'd give it about a 7/10

Old 05/08/2004, 4:57 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Default Jim's #812 review

John Madden Introduction - The John Madden Impression isn't of real relevance, except in a superbowl related episode. Which this episode wasn't. It was funny at first, but it did get repetitive and boring as time wore on and by the end of the sketch I had lost interest and ended up folding the clothes on my bed. The John Madden Impression is good, but they need to cut it back. If they feel like they need to use it every second week, the sketches need to have the writing quality and performance quality of the John Madden Popcorn Popper.
/5

The Heave Boat - This was pointless and the title enough would have fulfilled the joke. However, both Stephnie and Paul cracked me up as the both took lame material and added their own personal touches to it. Still, this sketch was stupid.
/5

Spishak: Hey, It's Ovens For Kids This was a great sketch and a welcome return for Spishak. I thought Josh did well as the Spishak Spokesman, not as good as Pat's spishak spokesman, but he filled the role set for him regardless. The writing of this sketch was very well done and the performances were excellent, especially the young girls, they were great. I especially liked the light bulb explosion and Debra's reaction, and when they kept saying "No more lightbulbs?" and the spokesman got pissed off. Great sketch.
/5

Korean Babies - This sketch had an interesting concept and everyone involved gave great performances. The funniest part was the photo on the Fathers desk of naked Bobby with cross eyes. When the baby started walking and hit his Mother, who in turn went flying was also funny. A good sketch overall.
/5

Prehistoric Glamazon Huntress: A.D. - I love the Glamazon Huntresses. it's such a shame that they only made three of these, because they were instant classics, and along with the Sorority Row sketches showed the immense talent of the season 7-8 female cast, who gelled together extremely well and constantly delivered the laughs. I felt that the characteristics of Mikayla in this sketch were kinda strange, Jillian Barberie didn't really fit the role set by Kathryn and defined by Jill, but she was still good and I loved the fight between her and Takka. I also liked when Debra's clothes kept falling off, and then when they were running from the "Dinosaur" the green robe acted as a green screen and became see-through. The weather report was different... it was still funny and I thought it was hilarious when she ran back on screen and the other three were just staring at her. It's also always great to see the return of the giant red space ant.
/5

Las Vegas Phone Call - This was okay, I liked when she was on the phone and said she woke up w/out her panties. It was also funny where Vegas asked Stephnies character where he was and she said "Uh, Vegas?" and he hung up. Overall, this sketch was a little weird, but it's better to see a weird one off sketch that another crappy "Impression/ Character" In my opinion.
/5

Self Defense Training - Stephnie once again proves that she has a great balance between her verbal and physical comedy. She was great here as were Michael, Mo and Debra. he funniest part of the sketch was the "1, 2, flee" and the action Stephnie did to accompany the flee. When she fell off the couch and landed on her face, it reminded me of Dot on Oprah (dot's magic trick) and also Muriel from 7am Condo Report. Overall a very funny sketch.
/5

QVC: Evander Holyfield K.O. Collection - I thought Debra was really funny as the host in this sketch, and the odd clothes and rapidly increasing sales were marginally funny. This felt like I was watching a Bae Sung sketch, but not nearly as funny (As hard as that is to believe) and it reinforced why I don't like Aries much.
/5

ENCORE: The Wizard of Oz: The Lost Interracial Footage (#519, #619) - This sketch was new to me as I wasn't a frequent MADtv watcher back in the 5th season. I thought this sketch was good, the impressions were great for the most part, and there were some hilarious aspects, like the dward who introduced the lost footage (she was a cutie) and the end where they were in the bushes with the Scarecrow, Lion and Tin Man watching on. "I don't want to go home! I don't want to go home!" hilarious. The production value of this sketch was absolutely great however, from set design to costume to makeup, so I have to increase my rating from 3 to 4.
/5

Hiccup Problems - For the most part this sketch felt contrived. Once again, the production value was cheap, no fake blood or believable gun shot sounds and it was a waste of guest stars (Although they were pretty lame anyway). I thought Ron and Mo gave good performaces though, albeit short.
/5

John Madden Closing - This was funnier than the opening. It was so strange, but I thought some of the moves he was doing were freaking hilarious, like the body bounce.
/5

Overall this was a very good episode. I liked all of the one off sketches minus the hiccups one, but even that wasn't bad. And I loved the recurring characters (Glamazon, Spishak) because they are too underused and some of my favourite recurring sketches ever. Overall, I give this episode 8/10.
Old 05/15/2004, 4:43 PM

This ep was soooo funny!! I loved the "Defense" sketch!! It reminded me so much of any Angela sketch!! LoL I loved the chemistry between Mike and Steph!!
Old 07/08/2004, 4:16 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

The little blonde girl who played "Other Daisy 2" (The white Daisy I assume) in the Spishak sketch was Alexandra Lee. She was also in the TRL sketch in episode #908.