Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Episode Guide > Season 13 (2007-2008)
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite sketch of #1313?
Snoop Dogg: "Sensible Deduction" 4 12.90%
Opening: Final Four (of Flag Dancing) 0 0%
Keeping Up with the Kardashians 8 25.81%
Inside Looking Out: Obama Songs 7 22.58%
Attitudes and Feelings: Ping-Pong Showdown 0 0%
One and a Million 4 12.90%
HNL: Hugh Laurie 3 9.68%
Wing Woman: Kat Von D 1 3.23%
HNL: Chris Evans 2 6.45%
Gotcha! Squad: Health Code Violations 0 0%
Fun with Stock Footage: Buildings #1 0 0%
Fun with Stock Footage: Buildings #2 0 0%
HNL: Cedric the Entertainer 2 6.45%
Closing: Jordan & Cast 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/14/2008, 4:37 PM
Hardcore Fan

Not a great episode IMO. Three stars is perfect though.

Old 04/14/2008, 4:53 PM
Fresh Meat

I laughed my ass off at the Kardashian sketch

Old 04/14/2008, 5:18 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

For all the talking you do about the cast line-up, future seasons and whatnot, your episodes reviews sure are skimpy, Wonder8484

Old 04/16/2008, 2:37 AM
Fresh Meat

Dude, how come you get to have a 90kb 128x128 avatar?

This is what mine could have been:

What it should have been:

Old 04/16/2008, 3:21 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Because I'm a good boy and submit my full reviews each week. If you begin doing the same (starting with #1313), I'd be more than happy to bend the rules for you as well. I mean, not to anywhere *near* the degree I bend them for myself, mind you, but certainly enough to accommodate your original vision.

Old 04/17/2008, 1:58 AM
Fresh Meat

Snoop Dogg: "Sensible Deduction": The problem for me in this sketch was that I don't associate Snoop Dogg with technoesque music. I've never even heard the song they're parodying here, so maybe that contributes to it. Still I thought most of the lines starting when it switched beat, were funny.

Opening: Final Four (of Flag Dancing):
Lame. I thought it really went downhill when Crista said "No we're talking about flag dancing" almost sarcastically, but then it turned out she was really talking about flag dancing. Just didn't get it and it went over my head.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians:
Freakin' awesome. Nearly perfect. The only thing keeping it from getting 5 stars is the weird ass tie in with a blind guy. I mean WTF? Anyway, I caught a whiff of the real show when it first aired, and it was the most pathetically scripted reality trash I've ever seen. (and yes, I've seen the sex tape too ) The whole hotness contest idea was brilliant, and Nicole and Michael's performances were excellent. Crista was great too, but didn't have as many lines as N and M. Their portrayal of the lifeless, emotionless, hot valley girl persona was great. Some of the quotes in this skit are keepers, such as "Not your real dad!," "Awwwwww," "bitch," "the poor guy can't see how hot we are!" I like Arden but I didn't like her performance in this one. Sorta discordant. (bring Lisa Donovan back dammit! She would'a been perfect for this sketch) Still almost all of the dialog in this skit was laugh out loud material.

Inside Looking Out: Obama Songs:
Nicole can sing. Damn. I got a few laughs too... Now, I don't mind the entertainment factor for this sketch, but it just seems a little easy to write. As others have pointed out I would like to see some other Nicole character sketches.

Attitudes and Feelings: Ping-Pong Showdown:
Not that great. I used to like these skits but they've just lost their charm.

One and a Million:
I thought this was gonna be great. I can't freakin' stand all these lame game shows on TV and was pumped up on the concept of making fun of them, but this skit kinda lost me. Still, I can't even think of a way to make it better, so whatever. The elaborate "catch" was funny the first time around. You can tell the production value of the scene was pretty high, with all the lights and the backdrop.

Keegan's HNL skitsI used to like these too, but Keegan needs to piss off the guests more. He was just being too nice. The Hugh Laurie one was okay. Keegan tried in the second one, (cellulite) but Chris Evans would not get pissed. Cedric the Entertainer was great. You could tell right away he was pissed off and uncomfortable and I loved it. By the end he was makin' fun of Keegan.

Wing Woman: Kat Von D:
I like Arden in these. The random aggressive stuff she does is funny. Bobby and Kat's performances in terms of comedy were lame though. Not much content. In fact, no content. :/

Gotcha! Squad: Health Code Violations:
Not "hard laugh" material but not bad. Pretty entertaining. Johnny has potential but there's nothing super funny, other than the "pissed off midget" premise.

--The building crap doesn't count--

---

First time watching the episode, it was entertaining (especially when I'm at work watching it on my ipod ), but going over the videos the second time, I'd say it's only a 3/5. The Kardashians sketch stole the show for me.

Old 04/17/2008, 2:07 AM
Administrator

Lookin' good. Keep 'em comin'!

Old 04/17/2008, 6:35 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

I know! I know! I promised a review. I've been so overwhelmed over the past month or so that even the smallest tasks seem monumental. I'll try to get to it today. BTW, my initial five-star assessment may have been a bit premature, shall we say. Don't get me wrong: I still think it's the best episode thus far this season, but I must have been in a really, REALLY happy mood when I watched it the first time to think of assigning it the ultimate rating. I'm inclined, therefore, to believe that last Saturday was one of those weird nights in which everything seemed hilarious compared with my present circumstances. (Guess that would have been the ideal night for "MADtv" to slip in a Hype Jingleberries routine. No, no, it wouldn't have. ) Well, at any rate, the episode will likely receive a strong 4/5 from da mizz; however, in order for me to make that claim conclusively, I might want to throw together this review before, say, Saturday night. Okee, brb, as the cool kids say.

"We can dig it!"

Last edited by mizzimad; 04/17/2008 at 7:16 AM.
Old 04/17/2008, 9:35 PM
Staff Alumnus

Snoop Dogg: "Sensible Deduction": Normally, I can take or leave Keegan's Snoop Dogg impression; in this case, I'll definitely take it. Although the concept behind the parody itself is nothing special -- it's basically just making fun of Snoop's latest video and electronic "singing" and throwing in some timely tax humor -- some of the visuals are a real scream: the magic carpet ride on a calculator; the mountain of "weeeeeed, weeeeeed, weeeeeeed"; the rather phallic bong; and the spaceship for "crazy Tom Cruise." At this point in my life (or lack thereof) as a "MADtv" viewer, I have little use for music video parodies; still, this one is better than most of the current ilk. How many stars? Two plus two iz fo', fo' sho', mah nizzle!

Opening: Final Four (of Flag Dancing): Because I don't feel like critiquing Crista's acting again (and because I don't feel like having my critique critiqued ), I'll simply comment on the one truly funny part of the opening: Crista's simulated flag masturbation, which would be funny no matter who did it. Since it's just a show opening, I'll refrain from giving it a full rating; but yeah, masturbation always merits at least a passing mention, I guess.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians: Uhhhhhhhhhh, owww, owww, owww, if you don't like this, bitch, then why don't you just hush, bitch? Yes, the writers have gone to the well one too many times with spoiled-rich-girl parodies; still, this one has enough unique gags -- waxing Arden's back, McD's surgically altered eyes, the incestuous beauty contests (ah, but he's not their real dad!) -- to make it a cut above most of the...um...current ilk. (I've heard that before.) Ryan Seacrast, God bless you! (How does God bless himself? )

Inside Looking Out: Obama Songs: Well, it's about time Nicole stepped it up this season. Finally, the return of what I consider her signature recurring character! (How many does she have, like, two?) Seriously, though, I seldom get tired of the LaMontroses. While one could argue that their schtick gets old after a while, I find that they're actually able to put new slants on it each time. (Besides, it's not as though other recurring characters don't have their own repeated gags.) Nicole's Beth is so cluelessly racist (Barack O'Bin Laden, "Chi-*click!*-cago") that I can't help doing a ho' lotta LMAO every time. Also, the whole bit works really well on the stage, lending further credence to the argument that the theater can be effective in certain instances. Another winner from the mixed morons!

Attitudes and Feelings: Ping-Pong Showdown: The success of these bits rises and falls on the visual gags, of which there are several successful ones here. Granted, the "running the words too fast over the TV screen" bit has been used before, but it still retains a modicum of humor even at this late date. Besides, I've always been a sucker for the idiomatic errors of Asian English ("I do not wish to sharing you"). The song played during the ping-pong match is so cheesy that it make Ms. Swan laugh and laugh. And even though the commercial at the end was used last season, it's still a side-splitter. Yay, to be watching "AAFBDASS" again is liking really much!

One and a Million: I've seen enough pompous prime-time TV shows to know that this is indeed an effective parody of that...uh...current ilk. (I've heard that before.) Still, I can't help thinking that this is one of those sketch ideas that would have been an absolute classic during S1 or S2, with David or Bryan in Dan's role and Mary or Nicole in Crista's. Oh well, at least it's a lot better than most of the current....Oh, kill me now! Anyway, the sight gags (I'm sensing another theme here), as well as the aforementioned pomposity, are enough to put this over for me.

HNL: I'll just review all three of these together if that's all the same to anyone who's bothered to stay with me thus far. Suffice it to say that Keegan's Coach Hines and Eugene Struthers are two of the reasons I believe that this show is still very much worth watching. The Cedric bit alone would merit five stars simply because Cedric seems to play off the character better than most; however, the bits with Hugh and, uh, the other guy are worthwhile too. Overall, this guy nevvah fails to take thangs to a...you know.

Wing Woman: Kat Von D: I agree that the intros need to stay on the cutting-room floor; my guess is that "MADtv" simply wanted to set up the sketch for those who missed last season's "Wing Woman." While Arden stole the show last time around, I found her to be just overbearing in Numero Dos. (Par for the course.) In fact, Bobby's relatively subtle supporting role (I said "relatively," TYVM ) is actually much funnier to me here. (The masturbation joke works well, though.) And with a future Oscar-winning actress like Kat Von D on board, what can possibly go wrong? Okay, yeah, like you watch "MADtv" for great acting anyway, right?

Gotcha! Squad: Health Code Violations: Okay, so it's not quite Johnny's coming-out party as a worthwhile sketch actor; however, it's definitely not a bad start. His enthusiasm for the part is evident with each "gotcha" and "re-gotcha" and "re-re-gotcha" and....You get the idea. Anyway, his character here sorta reminds me of Jerry Stiller's Arthur Spooner on "The King of Queens": once he senses that he has a little power, however unimportant, he pounces on it and makes a fool of himself. I'm probably the only person on Planet Earth, let alone Planet MADtv, who would even think to draw such a bizarre comparison; but you wouldn't have me any other way, folks. At any rate, good on you, Johnny -- keep it up! BTW, the sketch itself merits four stars; however, at the risk of having our fearless leader wet himself with delight, I'm adding an extra half-star because Crista is just so damn byyyyootiful in this sketch. (I never said she's not pleasing to the eye. )

Fun with Stock Footage: Buildings #1 and #2: I really don't have much to say about these stock footage bits, or at least nothing really good. However, I'm electing not to rate them since they're so short anyway. I mean, I'm not going to risk docking my overall rating for a very strong episode with a one-star or one-and-a-half-star rating for what is obvious filler. Ah, mizz, such a humanitarian!

Closing: Jordan & Cast: It's the best closing ever...wheeeeeeee! Seriously, what do you want here? No rating necessary.

Well, even though only one sketch (the "HNL" with Cedric) really deserves the ultimate rating, very little else merits fewer than four stars; thus, despite my earlier gushing of "oh yeah, five stars baby, holla," I still have to give mighty props to what I consider the strongest episode this season. Since I intentionally narrow my episode ratings to the prescribed "rate the thread" method, I'm giving #1313 a nominal /5. That being said, however, I should note that it's a very, VERY strong 4/5, more like a 4.5/5 that doesn't quite deserve enough praise for the ultimate episode rating but is solidly between a 4 and a 5. (I'm dizzy. ) Because the rest of you seem to have developed a trend for choosing episode MVPs, I too will now "just say yes" and succumb to peer pressure. (If I end up in MVP rehab, however, then it's on your heads. ) Anyway, for taking things to a...you know...I'll pick Keegan as my MVP. He also made fine use of his Snoop Dogg, so that's a plus as well. Ultimately, Nikki P. wouldn't be too far behind, though. This is the first episode in which I've felt that she is truly a part of S13. Seriously, it's as though Nicole has been somehow ordained to follow a great season (S10, S12) with a mediocre one (S11, S13). Well, the good news is that she still has three more episizzies to leave her stank. Oh, and "MADtv," BRING BACK THE ONE-OFFS! You heard me.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/17/2008, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzimad View Post
Because I don't feel like critiquing Crista's acting again (and because I don't feel like having my critique critiqued )...
Hey, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the Stephnie Weir comparison kitchen!

Quote:
BTW, the sketch itself merits four stars; however, at the risk of having our fearless leader wet himself with delight, I'm adding an extra half-star because Crista is just so damn byyyyootiful in this sketch.
Wow, where's our resident historian when you need him? Not even *I* award bonus points for Crista's beauty, and *that's* saying something! I mean, even if I wanted to, there aren't enough stars in the world, but still... I'm impressed all the same! This week, I'm giving you a base score of four for the Crista remark, minus one for not mentioning the curls, plus two for showing restraint on the half-baked comparisons (turning a blind eye to that "KoQ" one, of course ), and minus 3.5 for your opinions, which, because they don't coincide with mine, are clearly incorrect.

Quote:
Oh, and "MADtv," BRING BACK THE ONE-OFFS! You heard me.
I'm in complete agreement with you here, but with all these glowing reviews and near-five-star ratings for every single middle-of-the-road, overcooked character sketch they dumped on us this week, are you *certain* that's what you want?

Old 04/17/2008, 11:29 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Hey, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the Stephnie Weir comparison kitchen!
Oh, I could easily step back into that kitchen at any time (although if I'm pelted with overly ripe tomatoes again, then I'm turning on the gas and breaking out the vegatarian farts, people). It's just that when I get fifteen pages of replies over one teeny Crista remark, which I then feel the need to defend, which you in turn will reply to in earnest in order to defend Crista, at which point I throw my hands up in the air because there's seemingly no end to the discussion over the aforementioned teeny remark....I think you get my point.

Quote:
Wow, where's our resident historian when you need him? Not even *I* award bonus points for Crista's beauty, and *that's* saying something! I mean, even if I wanted to, there aren't enough stars in the world, but still... I'm impressed all the same! This week, I'm giving you a base score of four for the Crista remark, minus one for not mentioning the curls, plus two for showing restraint on the half-baked comparisons (turning a blind eye to that "KoQ" one, of course ), and minus 3.5 for your opinions, which, because they don't coincide with mine, are clearly incorrect.
A review of the episode and a review of my review each week -- how do you find the time?

Quote:
I'm in complete agreement with you here, but with all these glowing reviews and near-five-star ratings for every single middle-of-the-road, overcooked character sketch they dumped on us this week, are you *certain* that's what you want?
Oh, it's definitely what I want. Look, I'm just trying to find the good I can in what I'm given that week, be it an array of parodies and remotes or the rare batch of well-written one-offs. I've accepted by now that S12 is about as close as this show will likely ever come to being as good as the first four seasons. If "MADtv" insists on recycling the same three jokes week after week, then as long as the writers pick the funniest 2.5 of them, I'll try to remain as tolerant, and thus as positive, as possible. Suffice it to say, then, that a four-star or five-star rating these days ain't worth what it used to be -- it's all relative, I guess. But yeah, I've noticed that I tend to be a bit kinder than you guys when it comes to rating these things. From my perspective, I wonder what's up with all the and ratings you guys routinely assign to sketches: "Oh Gawd, another 'Rice and Beans,' puke, gag, cough, want to die, stupid remotes, stupid Bobby, sucky-ass theater, automatic half-star rating, poo piss!" Seriously, you guys remind me of those overly jaded Amazon.com reviewers who automatically slap a one-star rating on a greatest-hits collection. At least I'm trying to give Crista and Arden a chance.

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/18/2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It's just that when I get fifteen pages of replies over one teeny Crista remark, which I then feel the need to defend, which you in turn will reply to in earnest in order to defend Crista, at which point I throw my hands up in the air because there's seemingly no end to the discussion over the aforementioned teeny remark....I think you get my point.
Sir, this perfectly reasonable reaction to my defense of Crista has insulted Crista's honor, so I must therefore challenge you to a duel! Will keyboards at dawn be fine? First person to 25,000 words wins!

Quote:
A review of the episode and a review of my review each week -- how do you find the time?
Well, loving Crista's a tough job, but *someone's* gotta do it!

[Seriously, can I get a little help here? ]

Quote:
Oh, it's definitely what I want. [...]
Fair enough, I suppose. Regarding our comparatively low scoring in the face of, ahem, certain overdone bits (let's just leave it at that), think of it like this -- how would *you* react if they aired a Crafty Gals sketch each week for six consecutive episodes? I thought so. [On a side-note, isn't that one of Dante's nine stages of Hell?] Besides, on the whole, I think you'll agree I've been quite charitable this year when it comes to Bobby and Michael, so what are you complaining about?

Old 04/18/2008, 12:37 AM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
Sir, this perfectly reasonable reaction to my defense of Crista has insulted Crista's honor, so I must therefore challenge you to a duel! Will keyboards at dawn be fine? First person to 25,000 words wins!
A certain trivia game in which you managed to out-type me nearly every time says that this is a losing proposition for me. Can't we just have a pissing contest like normal degenerates?

Quote:
Fair enough, I suppose. Regarding our comparatively low scoring in the face of, ahem, certain overdone bits (let's just leave it at that), think of it like this -- how would *you* react if they aired a Crafty Gals sketch each week for six consecutive episodes? I thought so. [On a side-note, isn't that one of Dante's nine stages of Hell?] Besides, on the whole, I think you'll agree I've been quite charitable this year when it comes to Bobby and Michael, so what are you complaining about?
Yeah, I actually have to give you props for your downright philanthropy toward McD and Bobby this season (well, for you, anyway ). As far as the Crafty Gals scenario goes, I would still be objective enough to take each sketch one by one, not just automatically dismiss it because it's a repeat of a sketch I loathe. In fact, just when I'd completely washed my hands of this Arden/Crista nightmare, I actually found one such sketch at the end of last season that got a few laughs out of me; therefore, nothing's hopeless...well, except maybe Trina. Can I get a "what, what"?

"We can dig it!"
Old 04/18/2008, 6:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Can't we just have a pissing contest like normal degenerates?
As long as it's not into the wind, I suppose that could work. If it is, I'd just like to note upfront that my primary strategy when taking part in a pissing contest involves standing at a 45-degree angle for good luck. Just so you know.

Quote:
As far as the Crafty Gals scenario goes, I would still be objective enough to take each sketch one by one, not just automatically dismiss it because it's a repeat of a sketch I loathe.
Yeah, well, we'll see about that when it inevitably comes to pass.

Quote:
In fact, just when I'd completely washed my hands of this Arden/Crista nightmare, I actually found one such sketch at the end of last season that got a few laughs out of me; therefore, nothing's hopeless...well, except maybe Trina. Can I get a "what, what"?
Given that I just got more out of this comment than I did out of the entire lineup of Trina sketches combined, you better believe it! What, whaaaaaaaat!

Old 04/18/2008, 5:17 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

There you have it folks; Mizzimad and Blackwind are officially insane

Old 06/21/2008, 8:55 PM
Hardcore Fan

In all honesty, I didn't really enjoy this one. Nothing funny happened except for the Kardashians skit and the Gotcha! skit, sort of.