Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/25/2008, 4:25 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Post Four but No More: Anjelah Johnson Officially Out

Season 13 featured player Anjelah Johnson has been sent packing by "MADtv" after only four episodes. Those who had high hopes for Bon Qui Qui, Tammy the Nail Salon Lady, and other potential Anjelah characters will have to content themselves with the few golden moments that she left behind during her sojourn.

The standard procedure "MADtv" employs for its featured players is to pick them up for an initial four episodes. If a featured player makes a lasting impression in those four episodes, then the show will offer her or him the opportunity to appear in more episodes. In turn, the featured player has the option to accept or decline the show's offer.

Clearly, no such offer was extended to Anjelah. Despite any promise she may have shown fans, those associated with the series apparently felt that she did not make that all-important lasting impression as a sketch comedy performer -- hence, their decision not to green-light more episodes for her. While the time-honored point that dear Anj was not given a chance to make that lasting impression may be valid (or not, depending on one's perspective), it is also obviously moot now that her fate has been determined. At any rate, special thanks go to blackwind for the revelation about Anjelah's untimely exit.

"We can dig it!"

Old 02/25/2008, 4:39 PM
Hardcore Fan

I'm not surprised. But with better writing, I think Bon Qui Qui would have been a bigger hit... and she probably wouldn't be leaving today.

So anyway... I'm not surprised by this.
Old 02/25/2008, 4:44 PM
zlolz

Wow, what a stupid move.

Oh well, it's not like this show actually gives a shit about it's future or being good.

Old 02/25/2008, 5:14 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I agree Rurry, MADtv is clearly full of shit this year. The girl had potential and as always they send all the good ones packing for no apparent reason. How the hell was she supposed to have a lasting impression if she only appeared ONCE in each of the 4 episodes?? So yeah, MADtv is full of shit and they don't give a rat's ass about their castmembers, fans, or well-being. HOORAY FOR BEING APATHETIC!

Old 02/25/2008, 5:19 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Oh, boo-freakin-hoo. She showed promise, big fuckin' deal.

Lisa showed promise, Gillian showed promise, Jeff showed promise, and they were all cut too. The show will go on.

I do think they should've kept her around a little longer, but please, give it a rest, you two.

Though this is interesting considering she was in the cast picture.

Old 02/25/2008, 5:24 PM
Obsessed!

Lisa and Gillian both deserved to come back

I'm just shocked that they got rid of her over Johnny. I realize he was signed on as a Main Cast Member.....but imo I thought the other three stood out more then he did. Sorry to see you go Anjelah!

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart
Old 02/25/2008, 5:29 PM
Season 14 is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
Oh, boo-freakin-hoo. She showed promise, big fuckin' deal.

Lisa showed promise, Gillian showed promise, Jeff showed promise, and they were all cut too. The show will go on.

I do think they should've kept her around a little longer, but please, give it a rest, you two.

Though this is interesting considering she was in the cast picture.
Well they are right, the show sucks now and I'm not saying this because I'm angry about Anjelah's departure, but this season is going way down hill if that's something you don't want to hear then don't read their opinions. The format sucks, the "sketches" suck and admit it the 300th episode sucked!

Old 02/25/2008, 5:44 PM
zlolz

Anjelah showed 10000x more promise then Lisa, and the show right now is in the most crucial point it's ever been at, so I think they should give people who show promise a little more of a chance then they did in the past.

I'm not going to sit here and smile and say "5/5 best episode ever!!!!!!" in every thread if I think the show is losing it's track, which it is. And I just think this was a stupid move, so I called them on it. How can we expect this show to get better if we just hide all of our criticism?

And Gillian had an entire season to show her stuff. Lisa probably never should've been added in the first place. So I don't think they're really comparable to Anjelah.

Old 02/25/2008, 5:45 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

No, no she didn't.

Regardless, I still think they should have given her more of a chance. Jordan didn't show much promise when he joined, especially once Keegan shows up and pretty much outshines him, but they took a chance on him, and now he's one of the best cast members the show's ever had.

Old 02/25/2008, 6:21 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

It is a big deal; they kept Johnny Sanchez over Anjelah, and he's worse than all the bad castmembers EVER put together.

I too call MADtv on making this move. I've been putting up with this show for 13 years and I don't like how MADtv treats any of its castmembers. The girl only had four episodes and she only appeared once in each one. Yet she proved more with something like Bon Qui Qui, compared to Johnny whose character shows up midseason and leaves people questioning why they still watch the show.

My point is that for the past couple of years, the show has been getting rid of underrated cast members such as Nicole RJ, Frank Caeti, Daniele (who vanished during S11), and the list goes on. MADtv is a mess right now, and apparently they lack one of the most important qualities of life: common sense. I say that because common sense would tell you to keep a strong performer over someone who uses racial humor and doesn't even do a stellar job at it.

Old 02/25/2008, 6:52 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustG View Post
How the hell was she supposed to have a lasting impression if she only appeared ONCE in each of the 4 episodes??
My understanding -- and, if this is incorrect, I'd appreciate it if someone in the know dropped me an e-mail -- is that, when you're brought on as a featured player, you really are fighting for your MADtv life prior to even setting foot in the writers' room for your very first script reading. Putting in acceptable performances each week just won't cut the mustard -- these people want to see that you can contribute, and if you don't make an issue of yourself by way of bringing your own top-notch material to the table early on, getting axed is almost a foregone conclusion. Crista made an issue of herself, and look where she is; Dan did as well, and look where he is. As for Anjelah, either she wasn't aware of just how dire the situation was, or the material she was contributing simply wasn't up to par. Did she deserve a few more episodes to show her stuff? Absolutely, but these are the standards the show has in place, and like it or not, this is how things work and will *continue* to work. Ultimately, the standards are such that only the cream of the crop make it through, and in the end, isn't that what we all want?

Anyway, hopefully this is a wake-up call for Daheli. She's only two episodes into her tenure at the moment, but on the same token, she only has two episodes left to make her mark. If #1312 doesn't prove to be her break-out moment, she could very well be on her way to becoming the next Anjelah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot's Boyfriend View Post
The format sucks, the "sketches" suck and admit it the 300th episode sucked!
MADfan will never admit such a thing until at least 51% of us share his viewpoint; then, be sure to stand clear during his swift and inevitable flip-flop, or you're liable to lose a limb. Should the forum ever be split evenly down the middle on any given topic, "God" help us -- his head just might explode!

Old 02/25/2008, 6:55 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
MADfan will never admit such a thing until at least 51% of us share his viewpoint; then, be sure to stand clear during his swift and inevitable flip-flop, or you're liable to lose a limb. Should the forum ever be split evenly down the middle on any given topic, "God" help us -- his head just might explode!
What? When have I ever flip-flopped on an issue (except, of course, when mizzimad is involved, since he's always wrong, and me agreeing with him would mean I was wrong too)?

Old 02/25/2008, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Just poking a little fun at your predilection for choosing the least popular of all available viewpoints. You know you deserve it.

Old 02/25/2008, 7:05 PM
zlolz

Well, I dunno. Those standards might not be exactly fair considering people like Johnny Sanchez somehow get to rise to regular status without going through the FP hassle, and I think everyone can agree Johnny certainly isn't the cream of the crop.

It seems like FPs in the past have gotten more of a chance, but I guess not. Doesn't really seem like a fair system if you ask me, especially since a) The material these people are being given is shitty, and b) Two of Anjelah's four episodes were thrown-together strike episodes.

Old 02/25/2008, 7:19 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
b) Two of Anjelah's four episodes were thrown-together strike episodes.
THAT I agree with. I guess it makes sense that those would still count, but I still don't think they should since they weren't "real" episodes, just Frankensteined eps. I don't know, it just seems unfair to me, especially since she didn't get a real starring role in either ep.

Though, technically, she was in six episodes. She was the dancer in the Carlos Mencia bit in 1305, and she was in the Fanstastique sketch in 1309.

Old 02/25/2008, 7:20 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
I think everyone can agree Johnny certainly isn't the cream of the crop.
I disagree. That is, unless you all agree that he's good, at which point I will believe he sucks.

(I'd also like to add that I think my thoughts on 1307 were the only time that I've taken an unpopular viewpoint)

Old 02/25/2008, 7:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Though, technically, she was in six episodes. She was the dancer in the Carlos Mencia bit in 1305, and she was in the Fanstastique sketch in 1309.
Leena *does* look a LOT like Anj -- I almost fell for that myself -- but no, that's not her. Trust me.

Quote:
I disagree. That is, unless you all agree that he's good, at which point I will believe he sucks.
Now that's the MADfan we all know and love!

Old 02/25/2008, 9:37 PM
Hardcore Fan

Maybe Ms. Johnson should sue MADtv for how she being used in the series during her stint.

It might show a big flaw among the producers that has been growing since 1997.
Old 02/25/2008, 10:00 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
What? When have I ever flip-flopped on an issue (except, of course, when mizzimad is involved, since he's always wrong, and me agreeing with him would mean I was wrong too)?
Oh, reeeeeeeeeally? Well, let's see what I can come up with here:
  • Season 5 is easily the most brilliant season ever. It is the standard by which all other seasons should be measured.
  • Season 1 is a rotting piece of dung on the sole of my tattered Birkenstock. Anyone who likes it is just a nostalgic wuss.
  • Ike and Josh -- you canNOT be serious. They were never funny, and their improv sketches are among the worst in the show's history.
  • Pablo Francisco contributed far more quality "MADtv" sketches than that overrated hack Nicole Sullivan, whose very presence tainted the show for years. (Uh-oh, there might be some overlap with the Season 5 theory. Now his head might literally explode. )
Well, that's a start.

Anyway, Anjelah really proved herself only once to me: with Bon Qui Qui. Granted, in nearly everything else that features her, she isn't really given much of a chance to stand out. Again, though, maybe that point just reinforces the idea that she didn't quite grab the powers-that-bleed right away. Are four episodes enough to stand out? Maybe, maybe not. Even though I ain't no Cristabelle fan, she did show early on that she had some creative ideas; so as inconceivable as the possibility may seem, I actually agree with blackwind here (but on this point only, TYWM.) Apparently, Anjelah needed to stand out and show a real ability to contribute creatively. I'm not saying that she would or wouldn't have done so for me personally if I were in the position to swing the axe (mizzimad with a sharp object to wield...not good); I'm just thinking in terms of what "MADtv" was looking for.

While I'm dealing out the shock therapy, I might as well let on that I too have not been too impressed with Johnny Boy thus far. He started out great; however, one standup routine, some potshots at Carlos Mencia, and a seeming willingness to ride Bobby's coattails (or naked booty or...whatever) do not a strong cast member make. Conversely, Anjelah definitely had potential; then again, so have a lot of other FPs who were cut prematurely. Oh well, shuck-ums.

"We can dig it!"
Old 02/25/2008, 10:08 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Hey, I've since altered my opinion on Season 5 slightly. Now Season 12 is the most brilliant season ever.

And I will also retract my previous notion that you're always wrong, since I've found myself agreeing with you a lot lately. Like this post here--I agree with all your thoughts on Anjelah.

And I honestly don't have any real strong opinion on Johnny either way. I loved the bit with Carlos Mencia (I watched it earlier and laughed my ass off), but other than that, meh. Though, when I think about it, that's probably not a good thing considering he's gotten more airtime than anyone else thus far.