Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/26/2007, 7:06 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
It's not.
I can tell by that look in your eye that you're lying to me.

Old 11/26/2007, 7:10 PM
Hardcore Fan

BTW this is hilarious. From the 1308 closing, no one would have guessed that Bobby wanted out a couple of years ago. But I'm happy, all in all, that he stayed on (and I would imagine he is too).

But what I can't really understand is why some cast members who really do want to stay on (for example, seemingly Frank Caeti) are kicked off and others who don't want to stay on (Bobby) do. Such is the nature of show business, I guess.

What worries me is that a lot of fans will ditch MADtv after Bobby's departure. I know that not everyone is pleased to see him go, and I'm not.

I imagine that when Bobby leaves, he won't be the only departure.... trust me, Season 14 is looking ever so doubtful right now.
Old 11/26/2007, 7:24 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

wow. that's the first positive thing said about me on this site. um......it still doesn't feel good. i think i like it better when you guys are heartless assholes.
Old 11/26/2007, 7:29 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Plenty more positive comments are definitely floating around -- you'll just have to dig for them.

Old 11/26/2007, 7:31 PM
zlolz

If you want positive remarks, just go to mizzimad's profile and click "Find All Posts From This User!". He's your #1 fan! (not sarcasm, btw).

Old 11/26/2007, 7:33 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

when someone signs up for mad tv, it is a mandatory 5 year contract. if the producers and network don't like you, they can let you go at anytime. cast members have no choice in matter. in order to survive on this show, the fans have to be behind you and you have to test high in the focus groups. plus, the network has agendas that are beyond me. i don't know why but i always test well and fans that come see the live taping really like me. listen, i'm more baffled by it than you are.
Old 11/26/2007, 7:36 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

listen, positive remarks would be nice but i've done fairly well without them.
Old 11/26/2007, 7:36 PM
zlolz

Well, the fans here represent a pretty small portion of the MADtv audience, so who's popular here isn't necessarily popular with everyone. Like...Frank and Nicole Randall Johnson always seemed to be popular around here, but the "general" MADtv fanbase didn't seem to be as wild about them as we were.

Old 11/26/2007, 7:49 PM
Hardcore Fan

As I see it, there is a major problem with show business, outlined in Bobby Lee's posts. I sympathisize with the writers who are striking now because television/show business seems to be dominated by the producers and the networks, and everyone else is quite powerless until they reach a certain level of fame.

One interesting point that hasn't been raised yet is that if MADtv were to be cut from Fox's schedule, think of all the people who would be losing their jobs. Show business isn't easy...

As for Bobby's comments on sketch comedy, I agree with Bobby to the certain extent that I think he seems to fit the new format really well (more of a variety show than sketch comedy). But the new format only requires a certain amount of cast members, and because it relies on a certain amount of IMPROV, watch for there to be a huge job cut in writers & employees of MADtv if there is a Season 14.

Anyways, MADtv serves as a launching pad for careers. When Bobby Lee moves on to something else (for example, a new comedy show), I'll be watching. I wouldn't have known about him, or about Frank Caliendo for example, if they hadn't been featured for many years on MADtv. So I think that it's actually a good thing that Bobby stayed on as long as he did on MADtv. It definately would have been a foolish career move for him to leave earlier. As it stands now, Bobby is in a perfect situation to leave because he's got himself a fan base (myself included) who recognize him from MADtv.
Old 11/26/2007, 7:58 PM
Hardcore Fan

Hey, Bobby do you think there will be a season 14 for MADtv next season?
Old 11/26/2007, 7:58 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

thank you buddy.
Old 11/26/2007, 8:08 PM
Cast Member
Cast Member

if the strike lasts until march, fox will 100% cancel the show. i know that they are developing 3 non-union improv shows to replace us. this year, they cut our budget by 40%. that is why ike, frank, and nicole r.j. didn't come back. that is why the show looks like a canadian award show and not madtv. the cast is upset, especially me, and we are doing everything we can to stop this new show concept. i think stand-up and improv ruins the show.
Old 11/26/2007, 8:12 PM
zlolz

I agree with you on that, the new format just does NOT work for this show. Hopefully you guys are successful in getting the old format back.

The strike sounds like it's going to end soon though, so hopefully...the show won't be cancelled.

Old 11/26/2007, 8:15 PM
Hardcore Fan

Yeah but it won't go until March. Apparently the film industry will lose 21.3 million bucks a day from now on or something. The producers must cave in at some point.

Us fans have the least to worry about. After MADtv, they'll always be something else for us to watch. I'd be willing to give Frank Caliendo's show a try- and if Bobby Lee gets a show, for sure I'd watch that too. But one thing's for certain- MADtv won't be the last funny thing on television.
Old 11/26/2007, 8:17 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lee View Post
if the strike lasts until march, fox will 100% cancel the show. i know that they are developing 3 non-union improv shows to replace us. this year, they cut our budget by 40%. that is why ike, frank, and nicole r.j. didn't come back. that is why the show looks like a canadian award show and not madtv. the cast is upset, especially me, and we are doing everything we can to stop this new show concept. i think stand-up and improv ruins the show.
Thanks for answering my question Bobby.
Old 11/26/2007, 8:22 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Quote:
the cast is upset, especially me, and we are doing everything we can to stop this new show concept. i think stand-up and improv ruins the show.
Well, I truly hope you guys succeed. As I mentioned in this week's episode thread, when nobodies off the street are getting more airtime than the stars of the show, something isn't right.

Old 11/26/2007, 10:08 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

A few questions/comments based on Bobby's posts:

1. The contract is a MANDATORY five years? Paul said he left on his own terms after Season 10.

2. 40% budget cut? How was last season's budget? It seemed like it was pretty high, and the show seems like it's been cut more than 40%.

3. Nice to know that the cast and crew are trying to make the best out of the new season. Though I find it interesting that Bobby, who came from stand-up, claims it ruins the show.

4. The strike is almost settled, so it doesn't look like it's gonna go until march. Late December at best. So, with that said, is there still hope for a next season?

5. For the record, I like you, Bobby. (no homo)

Old 11/27/2007, 12:18 AM
Cast Member
Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADfan2004 View Post
A few questions/comments based on Bobby's posts:

1. The contract is a MANDATORY five years? Paul said he left on his own terms after Season 10.

2. 40% budget cut? How was last season's budget? It seemed like it was pretty high, and the show seems like it's been cut more than 40%.

3. Nice to know that the cast and crew are trying to make the best out of the new season. Though I find it interesting that Bobby, who came from stand-up, claims it ruins the show.

4. The strike is almost settled, so it doesn't look like it's gonna go until march. Late December at best. So, with that said, is there still hope for a next season?

5. For the record, I like you, Bobby. (no homo)

well, paul lied. secondly, i love stand-up comedy but sketch is an entirely different medium. you can't introduce a new concept after a show has been up and running for 12 years. it just looks weird.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:11 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

just my two cents:

Bobby, keep in mind that the majority of members here began watching the show many years ago. We've now grown up, so we're no longer part of your target audience. I think your humour has a very youthful feel to it, so it just doesn't tailor to us. Doesn't mean that there are other people out there that think your hilarious. What I've always appreciated from MADtv is the diversity the cast brings, not just in ethnicity, but in comedy itself. There was always a little of something for everyone

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 11/27/2007, 2:16 PM
zlolz

Quote:
well, paul lied. secondly, i love stand-up comedy but sketch is an entirely different medium. you can't introduce a new concept after a show has been up and running for 12 years. it just looks weird.
Agreed...2 years, maybe. 12 years, definitely not.