Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/28/2007, 8:14 PM
Obsessed!

Mad Tv has never been about one cast member with the rest revolving around them, so I don't know how I feel about that. Micheal is very good, but I don't think the show should revolve around him. It's good to have lots of good people, with lots of characters and impressions, and have them all be the star of the show, not just one cast member.

- "He looka lika man." - Bunny Swan
-"This has been Cabana Chat, and this AHH AHH AHHHHHH is Dixie Wetsworth!" -Dixie Wetsworth, Cabana Chat
-"Tcha...ya know what? Huh-uh!" - The Vancome Lady
-"You're so sexy!" - 2-Litre Beth
-"Look how little my gloves are!" - Dot Goddard
-"Sit your ass on down for a big ol' slice of truth, and a side of wisdom" - Tovah McQueen
-"Look what I can do!" ~ Stuart

Old 06/28/2007, 8:18 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig View Post
Mad Tv has never been about one cast member with the rest revolving around them, so I don't know how I feel about that. Micheal is very good, but I don't think the show should revolve around him. It's good to have lots of good people, with lots of characters and impressions, and have them all be the star of the show, not just one cast member.
I disagree, but I see what you mean. It's really a question of perspectives.
Old 06/28/2007, 8:32 PM
Fresh Meat

Hmmm, all very interesting info. If you look at previous seasons, you will notice that no more than 3 cast members ever left the show between 1 season and another and I thinkl these are the people that were I think we saw for the last time: Ike Barinholtz, Lisa Donavan and Frank Caeti.
Old 06/28/2007, 9:10 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

To recap, five cast members are definitely gone, three actors are definitely being added, Michael McDonald is definitely returning, the show is definitely undergoing major changes, and the rest is based on highly educated projections. Don't quote us on this, but don't be surprised if we're bang-on either.

Old 06/28/2007, 9:41 PM
zlolz

Losing Lisa is no major skin off MADtv's back - the hype has died down about her and she never did anything great.

NRJ? Mistake, IMO. Darrell got very popular with the casual fans and she showed a lot of promise.

Crista? Not even going to get started on this one, she was AWESOME. I'm really sad to see her leaving.

Ike? Didn't really do anything too noteworthy in S12, won't miss him too much.

As for Michael, I think his time is way past up. He's hardly a lead actor on the show anymore. If this was Season 5, or even Season 8, his departure would be a big loss, but aside from characters, he's had mostly very minor roles since Season 10, and I would MUCH rather see him leave then Crista or NRJ.

Old 06/28/2007, 9:47 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
How the hell do you come to the conclusion that she is "amazing"? Name one amazing thing she has done on MADtv or otherwise for me and maybe I'll understand yours train of thought.

Brooke Totman. Dannah Feinglass. Melissa Paull. Spencer Kayden. Jeff Richards. Even though some of the above were good, not everyone that is hired for the cast is a good fit. For example Lisa, who is bland.
Agreed 100%. In her 7 sketches or whatever, she was average at BEST in the majority of them. I had a lot of hope for her, but she didn't live up to the hype. Of course, I wouldn't really be too upset if she WAS back for S13, but I think her departure is probably the one that would effect the show the least.

Old 06/28/2007, 9:52 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurry View Post
Losing Lisa is no major skin off MADtv's back - the hype has died down about her and she never did anything great.

NRJ? Mistake, IMO. Darrell got very popular with the casual fans and she showed a lot of promise.

Crista? Not even going to get started on this one, she was AWESOME. I'm really sad to see her leaving.

As for Michael, I think his time is way past up. He's hardly a lead actor on the show anymore. If this was Season 5, or even Season 8, his departure would be a big loss, but aside from characters, he's had mostly very minor roles since Season 10, and I would MUCH rather see him leave then Crista or NRJ.
Let's see what he did in Season 12...
Mechanical Hands
The Shark Attack Sketch
The Adam Sketches
The King Henry Sketches
Keiko the Antiseptic Busboy
Steve Jobs in the classic I-Raq sketch
He was also great as the foil in the NRJ sketch where she was accusing him of racism

And much much more. I'm not sure anyone did as many quality sketches last season as Michael, except maybe Nicole Parker. Everything Michael seemed to do was quality, but on the other hand, I can't say the same thing about most of the other actors.

Edit: It isn't really necessary to say that you'd rather take Crista or NRJ over Michael. All three are excellent actors, and you shouldn't dispute that.

I think that if anyone can be blamed for taking up a spot on the cast that he shouldn't really be taking it up, it would be Bobby Lee....

Last edited by wonder8484; 06/28/2007 at 9:54 PM. Reason: :
Old 06/28/2007, 10:12 PM
zlolz

Okay, I'm gonna reply to the bunch of posts that have been made since I went out. Bear with me, I know some of them are outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagnazzo
With all the hype they put into Lisa Donovan, getting rid of her would be utterly foolish. Same deal with Nicole Parker - she's far too popular among the fans to be expendable. I have an odd feeling Jordan Peele is going to go, which would suck, because he's proved time and time again to be one of the more talented castmembers on. Call me crazy.
I agree with Nicole P...but Jordan is safe. He's also a popular cast members and his contract more then likely isn't up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
"With all the hype they put into Lisa Donovan, getting rid of her would be utterly foolish."

What the? MADtv put little to no hype into her. They announced that "Youtube's Lisa Donovan is joining MADtv" and there were articles about it, but I hardly see an onslaught of new fans from her addition, and I haven't seen one decent thing from her. Losing her would be a benefit, cuz she sucks.
Well, there WAS a lot of hype compared to any other addition, and a lot of YouTubers may have tuned in to MADtv - but a lot of them also already seemed to watch it. I don't really think losing her would be that big of a deal one way or another, there are way more people deserving of those remaining spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig
She def. doesn't suck. From the stuff I've seen of her on MadTV I thought she was amazing. She was halarious, and I don't understand why they even hired her then if they wouldn't bring her back after only like 5 episodes.
I agree with Cag on whole Lisa thing (not the Crista thing though).

And I also agree with Cag on how Mad Tv Gets rid of cast members before there time: Danielle Gaither just to name one.

Frank C....are you reading this? Do you have any information on the cast next season!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Lisa clearly isn't amazing IMO, based on her 7 sketches, as I said. And Daniele (IMO) wasn't let go before her time - she was there for 3 seasons and the only thing she did I would call classic is Yvoone Criddle. She just didn't really fit in with the show. Ok, getting back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroastpig
From what I've seen her done..the two things that really stick out are the movie episode, when she was in "ike and bobby's movie" she stole that sketch, and the opening with her and the other girls, she was halarious. And the Ellen show, I thought her impression was great.

I forgot about all of those FP's....I guess Mad Does do that...I just hope they're not doing it again.
She was good in the Ike/Bobby sketch in the short amount of airtime she had, but she hardly "stole the sketch" - that sketch was easily Ike and Bobby's shining moments, and I don't even really care for either of them that much. The Salma Hayek impression was okay, nothing special.

Quote:
Still, I really have a difficult time believing that there'll only be six regular cast members, unless they pull a season 3 and add the featured players in mid-season. And like I said earlier, this was the best cast the show's had in years, so it's kinda sad knowing half of them won't be back next season.
I think at least 1 of the 3 new cast members will be regular cast members, and probably 2 of them - making 8 regulars, the same amount as Seasons 1 and 2. Also, didn't S3 only have like 7 or 8 regulars at first?

Quote:
Also, Michael coming back sucks for a lot of reasons. First of all, he's taking a slot on the cast that could go to someone else, but also, why? Why does he WANT to come back? I guess it IS a cushy job and all, but he really lacks any true chemistry with anyone else in the cast, so he's kind of the outsider on the show.
Agreed. He's been on the show 10 years, whereas a lot of the S12 cast was relatively new. He should've left when Mo did, because after her departure is when he really started becoming an outsider.

Quote:
Let's see what he did in Season 12...
Mechanical Hands
The Shark Attack Sketch
The Adam Sketches
The King Henry Sketches
Keiko the Antiseptic Busboy
Steve Jobs in the classic I-Raq sketch
He was also great as the foil in the NRJ sketch where she was accusing him of racism

And much much more. I'm not sure anyone did as many quality sketches last season as Michael, except maybe Nicole Parker. Everything Michael seemed to do was quality, but on the other hand, I can't say the same thing about most of the other actors.
All of those sketches were good...but I honestly cannot think of anything else he did above average, besides the Larry Felmer sketches. Also, the iRack sketch succeeded due to great writing, not his performances. He's done SOME good stuff lately, but if you compare it to when he was in his prime (Season 5 - Season 7), or even with Crista, Jordan, and Nicole Parker's S12 performances, it's nothing.

Old 06/28/2007, 10:25 PM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Quote:
What? Season 12 was the first time he actually did anything noteworthy. Seasons 8 and 9 were just random Ike and Josh crap, Season 10 was whatever they would throw him in, and Season 11 was Ike and Bobby crap. Season 12 he wrote a LOT of sketches (many of which were surprisingly good like "Oscar Night"), and come on... Dane Cook?

Anyway, as far as Bobby and Arden, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "Ron" situation with one of them (or even Michael), where he supposedly signed on through to Season 12, but left after Season 10. If anybody would do this, though, it'd probably be Bobby if the pilot gets picked up.

As far as Lisa, yes, the hype has died down ON THE SHOW, but she's still one of the most popular people on YouTube, so I don't exactly think it would be in the show's best interests to let her go. After all, it IS about getting ratings.

Old 06/28/2007, 10:29 PM
zlolz

Ok, he had some good moments in S12, but still, him leaving wouldn't be a HUGE loss.

Old 06/29/2007, 12:29 AM
His senses were dimmed

I am going to be so upset if Frank and Crista don't return. To be honest the only three I really, really want to stay are Frank Crista and Nicole P. Hearing 5 will be going sounds like the show wants to do a huge change which may still be for the better.

I guess I should throw in who I would rather see leave (even though I only want 2 to leave)

Ike- He has been around for a while, although he was pretty good in season 12, he has never been my favourite.

Bobby- Even though people say he won't be leaving...

Lisa (Hype?? really? Sending emails that say "Youtube's Lisa Donovan does not equate to MadTV going all out to hype her.) I liked her on the show but I would rather see

Arden- I would rather see Crista and Nicole stay.

I can't really think of a fifth to be honest...

Prediction: The 5 going will be Lisa, Ike, Frank , Crista , and Jordan.

(I reserve the right to switch Jordan with Keegan whenever I want, even when the official announcement is made [and it isn't because they are both the same race. I no longer believe that MadTV has formulaic method of casting])

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 06/29/2007, 12:39 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

I wanna keep a note of all these posts so I can personally laugh at each and every one of you because JORDAN IS NOT LEAVING. If he is, I will eat my own shoe. Then **** it out and eat it again.

Old 06/29/2007, 1:25 AM
Fresh Meat

I am not happy with the 5 cuts either. The females were working together very well this season. Arden I feel is one of the weakest performers, but she is staying.
Old 06/29/2007, 7:01 AM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Okay, I'm gonna reply to the bunch of posts that have been made since I went out. Bear with me, I know some of them are outdated.

I agree with Nicole P...but Jordan is safe. He's also a popular cast members and his contract more then likely isn't up.

Well, there WAS a lot of hype compared to any other addition, and a lot of YouTubers may have tuned in to MADtv - but a lot of them also already seemed to watch it. I don't really think losing her would be that big of a deal one way or another, there are way more people deserving of those remaining spots.

Lisa clearly isn't amazing IMO, based on her 7 sketches, as I said. And Daniele (IMO) wasn't let go before her time - she was there for 3 seasons and the only thing she did I would call classic is Yvoone Criddle. She just didn't really fit in with the show. Ok, getting back on topic...

[quote-potroastpic]From what I've seen her done..the two things that really stick out are the movie episode, when she was in "ike and bobby's movie" she stole that sketch, and the opening with her and the other girls, she was halarious. And the Ellen show, I thought her impression was great.

I forgot about all of those FP's....I guess Mad Does do that...I just hope they're not doing it again.

All of those sketches were good...but I honestly cannot think of anything else he did above average, besides the Larry Felmer sketches. Also, the iRack sketch succeeded due to great writing, not his performances. He's done SOME good stuff lately, but if you compare it to when he was in his prime (Season 5 - Season 7), or even with Crista, Jordan, and Nicole Parker's S12 performances, it's nothing
.[/QUOTE]

Rurry, you aren't being reasonable. I mean, if you wanted, you could also add that McDonald was great in the Desert Golf Classic sketch, in the Mel Gibson sketch, in the Bird Droppings sketch, in the House/Grey's Anatomy crossover sketch, in the Girls' Soccer Awards sketch, in the Dr. Phil sketch.... I mean, after looking at the summary of each episode in Season 12, McDonald was consistently excellent in the skits that he played in. Past his prime? Maybe not.

Another thing... please don't tell me that either Crista or Jordan did more quality sketches than Michael in Season 12. Actually, the only reason that Michael didn't do more is because he was behind the scenes, directing for some of the season. I think that there will come a day in the future when McDonald will retire as a performer, but will continue on as a director.

Until then, it is a huge inaccuracy to say that McDonald was "past his prime" in Season 12. As for Crista and Jordan...

Crista improved in Season 12, but this was her S12 record.
Her best sketches IMO were in the Dixie Chicks Music Video, the Ugly Betty impression, in the fight sketch between grandmother and granddaughter, in the Heidi Klum/Seal sketch, in the Wendy Walker sketch, and that's just about it. Call me in the minority, but I'm not wild about Luann Lockhart, the Krumpers, and that sort of stuff. IMO no cast member produced as much garbage as Crista (except perhaps Bobby and Arden), amidst Season 12.

As for Jordan... I felt he took a downward slide in Season 12 from his S11 performance. He was solid in Disney's High School Musical, in the I Want You to Watch Me Play Madden sketch, in the Inside Looking Out sketches, in the O.J. Simpson sketch, great in the Syphilis Girl sketch, the Post-It notes sketch, the Scottish Warlord sketches, the Montel Williams sketches, the Forest Whitaker Music Video, in the Seal/Heidi sketch, but... that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think Crista and Jordan are great performers. I think it's a downright lie, though, to say that they were far better than Michael in Season 12 and that Michael was not a lead actor.
Old 06/29/2007, 10:41 AM
zlolz

I just don't think Michael is all that great anymore...JMO. Even if he was great, he's been here for 10 years, give someone else a chance.

Old 06/29/2007, 12:50 PM
Hardcore Fan

NRJ and Crista better be there... or MADtv will fail
Old 06/29/2007, 1:19 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

McDonald sucks. The end. *kisses*
Old 06/29/2007, 1:22 PM
zlolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elscorcho View Post
McDonald sucks. The end. *kisses*
Agreed.

Old 06/29/2007, 1:24 PM
Fresh Meat

Whoa there, he may have been better in earlier years, but I think he still has talent.
Old 06/29/2007, 1:37 PM
Fresh Meat

Ya, I don't think MAD will be hurt that much if Lisa goes, during her short time on the show, she seemed to have very limited screen time, and none of the sketches she appeared in were that great. As for Frank... it might hurt the show a little bit, but again wasn't anything specail. He didn't do anything special in my mind. Crista had some good moments on the show and honestly, I have no idea why FOX would want to let her go. She wasn't as good as Nicole P., but still she had some good stuff.