Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/21/2003, 1:44 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

I would be pretty upset if SNL were cancelled because I've been watching it on and off since I was a kid. I have some great memories of it. It is still on the air because it's been around for 27 or 28 years. The only way it'd be cancelled is if no one watched it anymore. It may be as bad as you say (I don't watch it often enough to have a firm opinion), but the fact that it's been around for so long really means something. You don't just cancel something like that.

SNL is legendary for being bad and then coming back. If Madtv were on the air for that many years, it'd be having the same problem. It's already started. Think about season 7. And maybe SNL is living on its past glory, but it's earned it.

The episodes I have seen of SNL over the last few years haven't been horrible. There are always going to be some bad sketches, bad episodes or bad seasons (just like Madtv). But I think both shows have something good to offer. Sometimes we all sound like the comic book guy: "Worst episode ever!" Maybe I only like SNL because I don't really care that much when I watch it. If it's funny, it's funny, if not...meh. But I think most people are that way regarding sketch comedy. Since Madtv does mean more to me, I tend to praise and put it down more than it deserves. But the shows aren't meant to be picked apart like we're some weirdo Star Wars fans (sorry if I offended any Star Wars fans!) Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not. How would you feel if a group of people were examining, in way too much detail, everything you did at your job? LOL

And when someone was talking about the reasons why Britney Spears hasn't been on Madtv...because of her being trash (can't remember who said it, but I agree with you about the trash part), don't think for a second that Madtv wouldn't snatch her up if she wanted to be on the show. Madtv probably can't afford someone like her (thank goodness). But I'm almost positive if they could get her, they would. Same goes for anyone with a 'big name.' Like it or not, big names bring in the viewers. The closest Madtv gets to big names are in the red carpet interviews. So, they take what they can get.

Can you imagine if Madtv had the same budget as SNL? They'd probably turn right into SNL. It's fine the way it is. If Madtv had a big guest star every week, it'd all of a sudden become all about the star, instead of the actors on the show. In fact, the thing that annoys me most about Madtv is when they have guest stars (especially musical guests). I'm glad they don't put them in every sketch, at least.

It is annoying that SNL gets more press than Madtv, but I have to admit that I love cheering the underdog. When something gets popular, I tend to not give a **** either way (just like I said above re: SNL...if it's funny, it's funny, etc). I like Madtv the way it is. It keeps me caring. I just don't want to care too much...like Star Wars fans. But sometimes I do.... ah well, no one's perfect.

Wow, that was long-winded. Sorry.

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy

Old 03/22/2003, 6:19 AM
Get down tonight!

Wow that just went on and on, didn't it?

Seriously, though, I know what you mean about cheering for the underdog, but personally I'd be a little more satisfied if it were a bit more evenly matched. MADtv deserves more attention that it gets.

Old 03/22/2003, 8:53 AM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Kai
Wow that just went on and on, didn't it?
Hey, I said sorry!

Quote:
Seriously, though, I know what you mean about cheering for the underdog, but personally I'd be a little more satisfied if it were a bit more evenly matched. MADtv deserves more attention that it gets.
Yeah, it does. It all starts with advertising. The only time Fox does any is on Sat. night during the ending credits of Cops, etc. At least, that's the only time I've ever seen any.

Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
--Family Guy
Old 03/22/2003, 11:15 AM
Fresh Meat

I think that SNL has it's funny parts. Particulary their pre-recorded sketches. It seems more time is devoted to those and they seem to come out better. I can tell every single week that absolutely (or close to absolutely) no time is regarded for rehearsing with the guest host ...(which I think guest hosts need to go...the cast relies too much on them). I hate it that every single week you are taken away from what the sketch is about because the damn guest host is too preoccupied with reading the damn cue cards. I would rather have them improvise than sit there and be obviously reading their "jokes". I must admit that even though the recent episode with Salma Hayek wasn't that funny, at least the girl memorized her lines...the Frida sketches were the best and, again, they were pre-recorded.

MadTv may not have good sets or good animation like SNL, but they don't have the boring format that SNL does either. So this makes it a better show already. It adds to the campy feeling I was so attracted to in the beginning. It is slowly transgressing into SNL and I hope the writers and producers realize that before it's too late...and I hope they revert back to basics...just like SNL was in the 70's (when it was most funny) and just like MadTv was
during season 1.
Old 03/22/2003, 1:50 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by queer_as_pop
I think that SNL has it's funny parts. Particulary their pre-recorded sketches. It seems more time is devoted to those and they seem to come out better. I can tell every single week that absolutely (or close to absolutely) no time is regarded for rehearsing with the guest host ...(which I think guest hosts need to go...the cast relies too much on them). I hate it that every single week you are taken away from what the sketch is about because the damn guest host is too preoccupied with reading the damn cue cards. I would rather have them improvise than sit there and be obviously reading their "jokes". I must admit that even though the recent episode with Salma Hayek wasn't that funny, at least the girl memorized her lines...the Frida sketches were the best and, again, they were pre-recorded.
You see? This is why I don't like SNL. On MADtv, you're presented with a wide variety of humor--- improvised sketches, slapstick humor, physical gags-- you name it. While on SNL, they have a guest host say something either incredibly boring or incredibly stupid, and then throughout the entire show, castmembers stupidly throw you a bunch of bad jokes. Funny? IMO, no. Really, are you supposed to call castmembers on a sketch comedy show "talented" if they just present you a bunch of bad jokes and laughless one-liners without any funny impressions, hilarious facial gestures, or any reactions at all? Just look at the weekend update segments-- watch castmembers as they pathetically sit there cracking their unfunny jokes; they can't even keep straight faces whenever something supposedly "funny" comes up. Yes, there are a few exceptions, but NOT ENOUGH. SNL's had its funny parts, but I've lost patience for it years ago.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 03/22/2003, 7:39 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

I actually thought the Frida sketches were one of the worst :o But, Salma didn't do a bad job.. she wasn't very funny, but her acting was ok. It was a lot better than Robert DeNiro
Old 03/23/2003, 6:17 AM
Get down tonight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers
The only time Fox does any is on Sat. night during the ending credits of Cops, etc. At least, that's the only time I've ever seen any.
Hmm, yes, that'll help attract the creme of television viewers.

Old 03/23/2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kai

Hmm, yes, that'll help attract the creme of television viewers.

lmao, yea.. just think of all those "COPS" fans that'll be tuning in! :p
Old 03/23/2003, 10:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
I actually thought the Frida sketches were one of the worst :o But, Salma didn't do a bad job.. she wasn't very funny, but her acting was ok. It was a lot better than Robert DeNiro
Guest hosts on SNL are RARELY ever funny, and are usually nothing special. And sometimes hosts like DeNiro or Britney Spears damage the humor (if there happens to be any in the first place). It's a known fact that SNL uses them to attract additional viewers, and to keep the show's ratings stable. But I doubt SNL will ditch the weekly guest host/musical guest format, since it's part of their tradition.

As I said before, if MADtv had a budget equalling that of SNL's, it would surely try to invite big-name stars like Britney to appear on an episode. But if MADtv went ahead and did just that, I think most "MAD" fans would accuse MADtv of "selling out." And then "MAD" would lose many long-time fans. So there is a drawback to having a bigger budget.

Old 03/24/2003, 10:44 AM

I kinda have to disagree with the sell-out argument. "MADtv" did just that last February with a damn Stuart-Swan month for sweeps, I don't think "MAD" could top being as desperate as that

Anyway, I can see what you mean about the hosts thing. I would say that a budget the size of "SNL"'s is unnecessary.. but right now it's ridiculously small, they can't even afford to use real film, it's pathetic.
Old 03/24/2003, 12:30 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

One of the main things that bugs me is that every guest star just appears in one skit as of the past couple seasons. Maybe they can't afford to pay them for more than one sketch, but it makes me mad. They waste their guest stars on stupid sh*t like "This N' That w/ Rusty". Mandy Moore, who was hilarious in her appearance in season 6, will be appearing in the coming weeks for her second time on the show. Too bad she's just in
"This N' That" and I'm sure that they won't use her for anything else. It makes me so mad.

Nicole Sullivan will be back! Too bad she'll just make one appearance too, most likely. SNL uses their guest stars in much better ways. I wish MADtv would spend more money on better use of guest stars instead of having pop musicians every episode now. Blah.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 03/25/2003, 11:01 AM

I agree. This 'n' That sucks ass. It's almost never funny.. Penny Marshall was kinda funny because she was insulting Rusty, but otherwise their interviews are promotion, not humor. Like remember that sketch last season where Alex was interviewing damn 'N Sync for their lameass movie? Terrible
Old 03/25/2003, 2:07 PM
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I agree. This 'n' That sucks ass. It's almost never funny.. Penny Marshall was kinda funny because she was insulting Rusty, but otherwise their interviews are promotion, not humor. Like remember that sketch last season where Alex was interviewing damn 'N Sync for their lameass movie? Terrible
Rusty isn't that bad. The ones with Freddie Prinze Jr., David Boreanz, and Shakira were very funny, imo. I didn't like the one with Alex interviewing the 'N Sync though.

--Family Guy
Old 03/25/2003, 9:10 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
SNL uses their guest stars in much better ways.
I don't exactly agree... At least MADtv doesn't have guest stars do stupid monologues; really, there is NO excuse for the horrible crap that I see and hear from guest stars on SNL nowadays. Still, This n' That with Rusty is rather dull; it's had its funny moments, but it should have been retired months ago.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 03/26/2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keepsakers
Rusty isn't that bad. The ones with Freddie Prinze Jr., David Boreanz, and Shakira were very funny, imo. I didn't like the one with Alex interviewing the 'N Sync though.
Yeah, but that was 3 out of, what, 10+? I'm not saying that This 'n' That is always awful, but it's just usually not very funny, and IMO it's a time-waster when they could be showing some MUCH funnier material.
Old 03/26/2003, 2:54 PM
Casual Fan

Quote:

Yeah, but that was 3 out of, what, 10+? I'm not saying that This 'n' That is always awful, but it's just usually not very funny, and IMO it's a time-waster when they could be showing some MUCH funnier material.
One of the reasons why I stopped watching "Mad TV" (other than Nicole Sullivan not being on it anymore) was the increasing amount of time being devoted to segments like "This and That" and the Alex Borstein/Will Sasso celebrity interviews/red carpet ambushes, etc. Not only were they glorified time wasters, but they were very solipsistic. Sorry, Mad TV, but most of Middle America doesn't fawn over celebrities the way you do (to the extent that you can consider New Jersey to be "Middle America," anyway) and therefore the segments came across as rather boring. Could you imagine Kids In The Hall having to resort to such tactics? I think not. Because the show wasn't produced within a 10-mile radius of the Hollywood sign, these guys didn't have the luxury of being able to fill airtime with such twaddle, and actually had to entertain their audience. Perhaps "Mad TV" should move production to Vancouver or some other way-out place. It would at least force them to focus on comedy. Then again, maybe they would go out and interview Gordon Campbell; they could schedule it around his court appearances.
Old 03/26/2003, 3:22 PM

I agree, I never liked the Red Carpet segments either. Actually, there was one HILARIOUS one, when Debra and Michael were at the Emmys (#803, 9-28-02), for whatever reason it worked. But the two since then went back to being boring, blah.
Old 03/27/2003, 12:29 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MADMADMAD
I don't exactly agree... At least MADtv doesn't have guest stars do stupid monologues; really, there is NO excuse for the horrible crap that I see and hear from guest stars on SNL nowadays. Still, This n' That with Rusty is rather dull; it's had its funny moments, but it should have been retired months ago.
Actually, the opening monologues on SNL are merely sketches in disguise. The guest hosts can't be funny by themselves, so the SNL cast members need to intervene and attempt to inject some humor into the segment. The only time these so-called "monologues" are amusing is when a stand-up comedian like Jon Stewart hosts the show.

I think what Cat_Named_CeCe was trying to say is that SNL allows their guest hosts to appear in every sketch, to play a variety of characters, and to do celebrity impressions. On MADtv, on the other hand, guest stars often play themselves in such bits like "This 'N' That."

Also, I'd just like to add that whenver SNL incorporates musical guests in their sketches, it's just a chance to get a cheap applause from the studio audience.

Anyway, MADtv usually had opening monologues (involving guest stars, cast members, or both) in its earlier days. Thankfully, the producers decided to get rid of them, because the last thing MADtv needs is a format similar to SNL's.

Old 03/27/2003, 4:17 PM

Salma Hayek's monologue was horrible.. okay, yeah, we get the point, it's a Pat Benatar band.. how many times can you ram that in?

I don't want guest stars to appear in almost every sketch though, only when it's very special.. maybe 2-3, but, as evidenced in "SNL", the hosts take away WAY too much time from the rest of the cast, and therefore the cast comes off as dull.

Anyway, I'm glad they got rid of the monologues on "MADtv". The cast member monologues were hilarious sometimes, but when it came to the "guest monologues", they usually ended up horrible, especially the season one ones.
Old 06/19/2003, 6:07 PM

Default Re: We will miss you, Debra!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
It has been confirmed by forum regular Mad Dog's inside source that Debra Wilson, MADtv's only remaining original cast member, will depart at the end of the season. According to the source, the entire cast was told of her departure at the end of the final set of tapings for season 8. Planet MADtv wishes Debra the best in the future. We will miss her immensely.
I cant believe it......I will miss my Bunifa....