Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/18/2003, 2:26 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Post We will miss you, Debra!

It has been confirmed by forum regular Mad Dog's inside source that Debra Wilson, MADtv's only remaining original cast member, will depart at the end of the season. According to the source, the entire cast was told of her departure at the end of the final set of tapings for season 8. Planet MADtv wishes Debra the best in the future. We will miss her immensely.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson

Old 03/18/2003, 3:40 PM
Casual Fan

The end of an era. Still, after 8 years, I guess there wasn't much left to do other than to see whether she could become the Kevin Nealon of Mad TV (I think his 10-year tenure was the longest).
Old 03/18/2003, 3:54 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Kevin Nealon? Sorry but I'm 15 and kinda young.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Im in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As were laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 03/18/2003, 3:58 PM
Angie -- Michael McD fan!
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by madislove
Kevin Nealon? Sorry but I'm 15 and kinda young.
SNL...Hanz and Franz, Mr. Subliminal, Mr. No-Depth-Perception (I think? Maybe not)....um, I can't think of any others right now.

Edit:
Weekend Update in the late 80's or early 90's

Guard: Lift up your shirt, son.
Chris: I need an adult! I need an adult!
Guard: You're not a shoplifter, you're just a fat kid. Sorry about that fatty fat fatty. Hey Tom, he's just a fat kid! Aren't you, fatty? You're just a big ol' fat kid. Here's some chocolate, fatso.
Chris: Thanks!
Lois: Oh, honey, no one thinks you're fat.
Lifeguard: I'm sorry ma'am, you can't park your van on the diving board.
Lois: This is my son!
Lifeguard: Oh. My apologies. Hey Tom! He's not a van, he's just a fat kid!
--Family Guy
Old 03/18/2003, 7:32 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Just when she was getting her fair share of airtime... We'll all miss her dearly.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Reality Check: Dreamin' of Denzel Washington...

(my favorite Reality Check sketch)
Old 03/18/2003, 9:24 PM
Totally F****able

Not to say that MadDog's "inside source" is not to be believed, because I really don't know.

But I will wait until an official announcement from the official website or on the show itself before I truly believe that Debra is leaving.

I just can't really trust "inside sources" when they themselves don't come out and tell us who they are and how they are "inside sources"

That's just my honest opinion. I mean no harm by it......

MEANWHILE....................POST 50 FOR ME! WHOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!:p
Old 03/18/2003, 9:47 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I promised not to give away the name but the "inside source" is a parent of a current cast member on the show. Frank Caliendo has also spoken to a friend of mine about Debra's departure so I've heard it from 2 cast members now.

Old 03/18/2003, 10:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Number Six
The end of an era. Still, after 8 years, I guess there wasn't much left to do other than to see whether she could become the Kevin Nealon of Mad TV (I think his 10-year tenure was the longest).

Actually, Kevin Nealon spent only 9 seasons on SNL. Tim Meadows had the longest SNL tenure (9.5 seasons). I don't think there has been anyone in the history of SNL that spent 10 years on the show.

Old 03/19/2003, 10:35 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jericho

Actually, Kevin Nealon spent only 9 seasons on SNL. Tim Meadows had the longest SNL tenure (9.5 seasons). I don't think there has been anyone in the history of SNL that spent 10 years on the show.
Unless you count Al Franken, who made spoaradic appearances
over a 20-year period. Tim Meadows not only was on for 9 1/2 years, but I think he was a cast member for at least 9 years.
Kevin Nealon's tenure I think includes time spent as a "featured" player, if memory serves.
Old 03/19/2003, 8:29 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Wasn't Molly Shannon on the show for a long time too?

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream Im in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As were laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 03/19/2003, 9:14 PM
Fresh Meat

i am still a hardcore Mad Tv fan. Maybe it's because I am so prejudiced about the original cast, but I think that Mad Tv is getting progressively less and less funny. I don't know...I just haven't really been engaged by the show in recent memory like I was in the begining. I've watched the show since episode 1 and now with the departure of Debra, the show will never be the same and the remaining cast has a LOT to live up to. Like I said, maybe it's just that I'm so upset about the "end of an era" with Debra leaving. The original, outlandishly funny and fresh MadTv is over for me. From here on out, it will just be MadTv leftovers... and I will always be a fan at heart. :-)
Old 03/19/2003, 10:02 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by queer_as_pop
i am still a hardcore Mad Tv fan. Maybe it's because I am so prejudiced about the original cast, but I think that Mad Tv is getting progressively less and less funny. I don't know...I just haven't really been engaged by the show in recent memory like I was in the begining. I've watched the show since episode 1 and now with the departure of Debra, the show will never be the same and the remaining cast has a LOT to live up to. Like I said, maybe it's just that I'm so upset about the "end of an era" with Debra leaving. The original, outlandishly funny and fresh MadTv is over for me. From here on out, it will just be MadTv leftovers... and I will always be a fan at heart. :-)
The humor on MADtv has changed many times between seasons 1 and 8. Let's see if I can count them all: season 3 brought a major change to the show, season 4 changed a little, season 5 changed a LOT, the same applies to season 6 (not exactly a good change, because season 6 was bad.), and season seven also changed a fair amount. And from what I've seen from season 8, I honestly say that it has a comedic style of its own. So it all depends on what comedic style fits you best.

(...and here come my own random thoughts.)

A lot of people stopped watching MADtv after season three because the comedic style of the show was completely different. I'm a flexible fan, but if MADtv becomes exactly like SNL, where they throw you a bunch of half-baked jokes and puns and expect you to laugh, then I might stop watching. Sorry to anger SNL fans, but I don't find the type of humor on SNL really funny. Really, are you supposed to laugh if somebody comes to you and tells you a million different jokes at a time? And SNL celebrity impressions aren't particularly funny either, even if they're semi-accurate. MADtv was different from the start, and it will always be; this is one reason why I prefer it over SNL.

Good evening, y'all. I'm Tovah McQueen. (And I'm Belma Buttons.) And this is, reality check. The show where you leave your delusions at the door, sit yo' ass down, open up wide for a big ole' slice of truth, with a side of wisdom.

--Reality Check

(Tovah: Oh now Belma baby-- I gotta ask yo' now: Did you make this Chocolate covered butter stick?

Belma: OOh, girl, you know I did. But I made it with that lightly salted butter. You know we do gotta watch our high blood.

Tovah: OOh, baby, this is so good I outtta bust 'ya in da head with a car engine!)

Old 03/20/2003, 8:43 AM
Travis aka... God!

Yeah, I must admit, I have never found any part of SNL to be even remotely funny. I don't know why it's even still on the air.

Old 03/20/2003, 10:52 AM
Can't You Read the Signs?

"SNL" used to be funny. It's always gone from the extreme up to down and back, but unfortunately the "down" that it's in has been around for a VERY long time and seems to only be getting worse. I still like a lot of the old repeats though, from as recent as '94 or so. Sure, the humor is very dated right now, but I still think it's a lot better than the $hit they turn out now.

I watched last week's "SNL". There were actually more pop culture parodies than usual. The short Michael Jackson impression in the otherwise unfunny Donatella Versace sketch and the short Avril Lavigne impression in the otherwise dragged-out Weekend Update were pretty funny, but otherwise it was a laughless show Part of the problem was that tons of sketches (i.e. Irish talk show, Pat Benatar band, Bush press conference, etc.) is that there was ONE joke (only liking other Irish people, they like Pat Benatar, journalists from weird magazines) and they turn it into overkill. The sketches are WAY too long. I turned it off after that Mexican character on Weekend Update appeared, I was SO bored
Old 03/20/2003, 6:48 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
"SNL" used to be funny. It's always gone from the extreme up to down and back, but unfortunately the "down" that it's in has been around for a VERY long time and seems to only be getting worse. I still like a lot of the old repeats though, from as recent as '94 or so. Sure, the humor is very dated right now, but I still think it's a lot better than the $hit they turn out now.

I watched last week's "SNL". There were actually more pop culture parodies than usual. The short Michael Jackson impression in the otherwise unfunny Donatella Versace sketch and the short Avril Lavigne impression in the otherwise dragged-out Weekend Update were pretty funny, but otherwise it was a laughless show Part of the problem was that tons of sketches (i.e. Irish talk show, Pat Benatar band, Bush press conference, etc.) is that there was ONE joke (only liking other Irish people, they like Pat Benatar, journalists from weird magazines) and they turn it into overkill. The sketches are WAY too long. I turned it off after that Mexican character on Weekend Update appeared, I was SO bored
This is one reason why I don't watch SNL very often. While SNL is horrible at political satire right now, it's even worse when it tries to parody pop culture and television. Seriously, have you seen the "ARLI$$" parody this current season of SNL? They threw in a couple of half-baked jokes and cheesy puns; after watching the sketch, I absolutely wanted to throw up. It would be wonderful if SNL was cancelled, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. We all know that it's hugely overrated right now, and since MADtv is hugely underrated, NBC's not going to kill it for a couple of years.

--Reality Check

Old 03/20/2003, 7:55 PM

I have to admire "SNL"'s set designers though.. they do a lot better of a job than "MAD" does (although I'm sure it's cuz of a higher budget).
Old 03/20/2003, 7:57 PM

Oh BTW, I know some people requested that if Debra really is leaving, that she should have "special endings" for characters like Bunifa. I disagree -- most, if not all, of the "special endings" (i.e. Vancome Lady, Lida & Melina, Ms. Swan) absolutely sucked. Don't get me wrong, I want another Bunifa sketch, but not in that fashion.
Old 03/20/2003, 8:19 PM
Geometry Sucks.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
I have to admire "SNL"'s set designers though.. they do a lot better of a job than "MAD" does (although I'm sure it's cuz of a higher budget).
Yes, and the animation on SNL is far less choppy, but that's basically the only good thing about the show nowadays. I'd rather have cheasy sets (but funny sketches) and choppy (but funny) animation than good sets (but annoying and horribly boring sketches) and good (but not-all-that) animation.

--Reality Check

Old 03/21/2003, 2:54 AM
Regular

I don't think NBC will ever cancel "Saturday Night Live" because SNL is too damn popular nationwide. SNL has its legacy to weather long-running slumps, and it is considered "a piece of Americana" by many. Lorne Michaels himself stated that if SNL were cancelled, it would be sorely missed by literally millions of people. After all, SNL has masses upon masses of dedicated fans that still enjoy the show--no matter how stale it is. Enormous fanbases are also the reason why other NBC shows like "Friends" and "The Tonight Show" are still on the air.

In the end, though, it all comes down to personal opinion. What you find hilarious may not be funny to others, and vice versa. So my personal philosophy is that if there's something you just don't find funny, then you shouldn't watch it, and you shouldn't keep complaining about it--because complaining won't get you anywhere. Again, it all comes down to personal taste. Apparantly, the majority of middle America prefers SNL over MADtv.

I'm open-minded enough to watch both shows equally, by the way.

Old 03/21/2003, 10:47 AM

Actually, Jericho, that's not the case anymore. "SNL" lives on its awesome past glory, simple as that. There's no way the show would survive if it just began now with the material they've been doing.

And it's a known fact that "SNL" is declining in the ratings. Every season it has - and moreso this one in particular because Will Farrell left and a lot of people say that as a result the show's jumped the shark (personally I think that was a little while ago). Anymore "SNL" and "MADtv" run neck-in-neck, and occasionally "MAD" will beat "SNL" in the ratings.

MADx3 brought up a good point to, the great animation. I forgot about that, I did like that Are You Hot Cartoon Edition in that episode, it actually got me to laugh as well. I wish "MAD" was given the budget to do that