Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/30/2005, 5:27 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steph Weir Fan
hey...ive been wondering this for the longest time...

Do they bleep out the swear words on the DVD ???
Yes. It's exactly what they show on the tv.

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 03/30/2005, 5:42 PM
.::Shame on you::.

ok...awsome...thanx thats all i wanted to know

"It's not about molding yourself into the person you admire, but rather following their lead in finding and embracing your own unique voice."
~Stephnie Weir
Old 03/31/2005, 9:41 AM
Fresh Meat

Default The best of season 1 - review

Re- "The best of season 1", don't quite agree with reviewer. This is nothing but sales pitch. I bought it recently and I have only saw portion of the CD1. This can't possibly be their best season. How he can say that... and expect to be taken seriously, apart from Debra and Nicole Sullivan - I find rest of the crew pretty unfunny. I think.. I'll just fast forward anything with Lammar and Sheer.

Old 03/31/2005, 10:24 AM
BREAKING BENJAMIN

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about...

There was a 20th episode called "The Best of Season 1" which was an hourlong compilation of the best sketches from season 1, which Warner Bros. chose not to include on the DVD release (which makes sense for the most part). I dunno if that's what you're talking about or not...

Old 03/31/2005, 5:40 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by MJB12
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about...

There was a 20th episode called "The Best of Season 1" which was an hourlong compilation of the best sketches from season 1, which Warner Bros. chose not to include on the DVD release (which makes sense for the most part). I dunno if that's what you're talking about or not...
He's saying he doesn't like Season 1 at all, except Debra & Nicole...

Goranx, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 03/31/2005, 8:10 PM
BREAKING BENJAMIN

But he was disagreeing with Blackwind because he apparently said season 1 was the best. He said it was among the best the show had to offer, but not the definite best.

Old 04/01/2005, 8:06 AM
Fresh Meat

Default best of the season 1

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am refering to complete season1 that is on 3 double sided DVD's. I quite agree with some reviewer who said that MAD TV's season1, in terms of qualty of sketch material (and the cast) is not at their best.
If I had started watching MadTV from season 1 - I would of given up on them. I mean, if you have seen Mary Scheer where she is doing her attention-deficit-disorder sketch, which for me pretty epitomise what I saw from season1 so far - predictable lines, and nowhere close as funny as their later material.
Maybe I'll change my wiev by the time I see all 14 hours of material - but so far - very disappointing!

Old 04/01/2005, 3:27 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Mary Scheer was amazing. Not enough Stuart on the DVD for ya?

Old 04/01/2005, 3:35 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Cockhurtz
Mary Scheer was amazing. Not enough Stuart on the DVD for ya?
hehehe

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
View Post Old 04/01/2005, 4:44 PM
MoForPresident
This message is hidden because MoForPresident was banned from the site.
Old 04/15/2005, 8:45 PM
Office Space.

Exclamation Bryan on Cover

Bryan doesn't even look like himself on the cover. Whats with that?

:heart: Sexiest Cast Member: Jill-Michele Melećn. :heart:

I got a new picture in my profile! Check it out!

This message is literally copyrighted. Literally! ©
Old 06/05/2005, 6:33 PM
Jiggle jaggle, jig jig.

Quote:
When you attempt to pull these discs out, they bend. A LOT. So much so, in fact, that you won't want to exert any additional force for fear of snapping them in two!
HAHAH I've done that with a few DVDs. It's really heart breaking to have just bought it, and then.. SNAP!

That review was so fun! You could review something I absolutely hated and the review would still be great. *claps*

Old 06/17/2005, 6:04 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Scratch that. I've begun to notice little cracks and chips around the hole in my precious discs.
Yeah that happened to me to on disc 3 (a small crack in the inner ring but still plays good) when I tried to get the disc out of the casing. I was having a hard time getting that disc out of the case like Madden opening the butter packet.
Old 06/17/2005, 8:16 AM
Be Kind to Your Nuggs

My DVDs have gotten so many scratches that they are impossible to watch

MySpace

<Badgina> No, many women have had their babies vacuumed out.
<Devin_> What if the bag is full?

There Trey, happy now?
Old 06/22/2005, 12:42 AM
Hardcore Fan

Any new stories about MADtv comin to DVD again this fall?
Old 07/19/2005, 3:34 AM
O YEAH?! o no.

this dvd(s) is awesome,,,the only thing that bothers me is that the dvd says theres a season 1 cast reunion and they dont even show all the castmembers!

Old 10/11/2005, 7:14 AM
I'm watching you.

I know its pretty late to post here, BUT HEY! I just got my set delivered today! Im so happy!! Been wanting to get it since it got out! And now i have it!

Haven't watched all yet! Only done with one episode! Anyway, i agree totally on the fact that those dvd holder thingamajigs are evil. Ive got this fine crack lines on the inner rings from taking it out!
Old 03/11/2009, 1:22 AM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Default MY Season 1 DVD Review

And now it's time for me to review the DVD box set and just in time too! Almost 5 years after the first season was released. What timing I have!

Packaging

I have no problems with the packaging! It is excellent! Definitely a good thing about the DVD!

The fold out box is a little awkward if you are not at a table, but that is not that bad of a problem.

I do agree with bw, the discs are a little hard to get out, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. You don't press the press button, you press the little 3 plastic knobs around it. They come out much easier that way.

I like the list of sketches at the side of the disc but I do kind of wish they had a full list. I mean I thought there were sketches that were in season 2 like Assembly Required in 109 and I was so surprised to find them in season 1.

The double sided discs are a little awkward. Even my father said that he had never seen such a disc.

Overall

Great design and a good job by Warner Bros. One of the few things they did do right.

Season 1

Season Review

Season 1 is the only season before season 8 that I have never seen before so I was so excited to finally see how it all got started. It took me a while to get use to the cast but after a while I grew to love them.

David was truly the shining star in this season. His range was unbelievable!

Nicole, even though she started the Vancome Lady fairly early, I felt that she was underperforming in every other part except for that role. This all changed however in episode 111 when she played the lead actress Sally in the parody movie Window to the Soul, which I will get into later. After this, she skyrocketed. Every scene she was in she rocked. It was truly the beginning of one of the greatest to ever play the show.

Mary proved her talent all season. She had an old looking appearance that gave her range to play old characters, but she still had a young spirit which allowed her to play the young roles. She was definitely one of the most talented people to come through the show.

I knew of Orlando, but because season 1 is not very easy to find on the internet, and I had never seen it before, I knew very little of him, but as I watched this season, he proved to be more talented than I ever thought. I don't know why he left so early.

Ardie, despite being coaked up throughout the season, was also good, but his absence due to the problem really hurt him in the season, being that he was the only cast member to not be in every episode that season. When he was there, he was great, but he was still really playing with a handicap.

Debra to me in this season was not good. Like MADtv after she left, the writers just couldn't seem to find roles for her. She got play, but since there were only 8 cast members, 3 of them women, with her being the only black female cast member, roles did fall into her lap. She would step up in the future, but now, she was underperforming.

Phil, had a great career before MADtv, and showed that in the first season. The first appearance of the UBS Guy was the 2nd best character introduced this season outside of the Vancome Lady. He proved that he was good on the show, and showed the shades of what he would become. The longest running male of the entire season 1 cast.

Bryan, was the one dark spot on this season. He did have any memorable roles, and barely did anything all season. Most nights, if it wasn't for the openings and closings I don't think he would have had any work in the episodes at all. The only good thing he did in this season was his Jim Carry impression in 112.

As for the season in total, a lot of the references regarded events that were going on at that time, which made it hard for me to follow. Things like the Power Book laptop to the homeless in the first few episodes really threw me, as I did not get what that was all about. These references to current events were really only in the 1st half of the season. After this, they started getting into more one offs, and the show reached me. Though I am not a MAD Mag reader that by what I saw didn't really matter. The only thing that hit me hard was the Doc Martin animated clips. I didn't know of those but the rest I knew of. I knew of Spy Vs. Spy and Alfred E. Newman before so it was easy for me to connect with those.

The quality of the video is amazing. It looks better than even shows like Seinfeld, and other shows like it that were airing at that time. It was not something I was expecting.

For me, 2 sketches stand out. The first one is the Window to the Soul sketch in 111. This is where Nicole truly broke through and became great. The sketch was funny, a good parody of those awful films like Showgirls, and Basic Instinct, and of course had one of the hottest scenes ever. The G on G kiss between Nicole and Mary. The sketch was MADtv's first ever, perfectly executed sketch. The next one that stands in my mind is the opening Lowered Expectations sketch from episode 113 with Nicole as Willow. I listened to that song over, and over, and over again until I was serenaded to sleep by Nicole's wonderful voice. The season was not bad, but it is in no way my favourite season. Mostly because this isn't the generation of MADtv I grew up with. If I saw these episodes as they aired, I could say differently, but I can't reverse time, and force my parents to conceive me at an earlier age. What are you gonna do.

Main Screen Design

The design for this was good, but I kind of wish that the opening was better. The opening, and a little bit of the behind graphics were definitely from season 9. I would have much preferred that they be the opening with Alfred in all the different costumes, like it was in season 1. The background was clearly from season 9 but it didn't show too much so I didn't have a problem with it.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that every disc contained a special features section, but only the 3rd disc had anything on it. The rest just said, look at additional discs for additional footage. If you are not going to have anything, don't put it in.

Special Features

Disc 3A

The deleted sketches were entertaining. Sketches like Too Personal Girl, and Fashionably Early got me laughing. The rest were ok, and were even funnier than some of the sketches that made it into this season. I did find it odd however, that the Shindler's List parody that was stopped by Spielberg and Co. was not on here. I would have thought that they would have been able to get this on the DVD.

The bloopers were funny. You definitely get the feeling that Dave is one disturbed individual. My favourite bloopers come from Nicole. Especially the ones in which she is pretending to cry and fubs her lines. I laughed every time.

5 years ago. I would have loved the season 2 preview, but now, it just sits there, mocking me, and any other MADtv fan out there who was expecting season 2 to come out in Fall 2005, only to be abandoned for stupid a best of's DVD, all thanks to the Wiener Bros., before everything was scrapped. This season 2 preview will go down in history. In the future people will ask questions like "whatever happened to Hitler's body", "Why was George W. Bush elected back into power for a 2ND TIME!", and "Why after 50 some odd years can we still not find MADtv season 2 on DVD". The two Easter Egg trailers on Dave and Orlando's strait jackets add to the mocking.

Disc 3B

The 200th episode, though be it a nice touch, as it is one of my favourite MADtv episodes ever, was a little unneeded. They call it a reunion of the season one cast, but the fact that only 3 originals (Nicole, Ardie, and Orlando) appeared in that episode, and 2 (Debra, and Mary) appeared in clip flashbacks hardly counts as a reunion. Though this could have been saved, the fact that no other DVD's will be released that could contain this episode, it kind of gets a slide, but back in 2004, when we all would have still been expecting season 2 on DVD, I think I would have found it useless.

This kind of goes same for the best of footage. They were going to be expected on future discs, but now that they are not, it's good to at least have them. Another problem that was not a problem back then is that all but one (I Love Lucy '98) can be found on Youtube. MADtv can be forgiven for this though, as how would they have guessed how good Youtube would have been a year before it came out?

Summary

Overall, I think it is one of the best DVD boxed sets I have ever seen. The packaging is great, the footage is good, and the design was good enough to draw in even the occasional MADtv watcher. There were a few rough spots like the opening screen, and the season 2 mocking promos that bugged me a little, but it was till a good DVD. I recommend anyone, even if you are not a MADtv fan at all, to pick up this DVD. 1. Because it's funny, 2. Because if they can boost the sales, season 2 may one day get it's well deserved release, and 3. Because if this doesn't get you hooked to the show, than you got some problems, and must live a very unfunny life. I hope this review has swayed anyone into buying the DVD. If I could get 1,000,000 people to go out and buy the DVD, I would be the happiest man on earth! But if I can sway just one person, that's a start.

Final Rating: (The problems don't overshadow the sets greatness).

Happy Viewing!

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)

Last edited by tvmanismadformad; 03/11/2009 at 1:53 AM.
Old 03/11/2009, 2:09 PM
Hardcore Fan

Any news on the release of the 2nd seasons of MADtv on DVD?
Old 03/11/2009, 5:00 PM
It's gonna happen
Contributing Editor

Not in the last 5 years. In my opinion, I don't think it will ever be released, but hey, you can try my idea that the link to my signature is to. It will only be released if the first DVD sells. After 5 years, and the fact that it is impossible to find in stores, I think it's sold enough to bring season 2 out.

Rise from the Dead!

Planet MADtv (August 28th 2002- August 28th 2009, August 28th 2010)