Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one of today’s young female artists has the brightest future?
Hilary Duff 2 11.11%
Avril Lavigne 2 11.11%
Kelly Clarkson 8 44.44%
Ashlee Simpson 0 0%
Amy Lee 2 11.11%
Shakira 1 5.56%
Pink 3 16.67%
Lindsay Lohan 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/12/2007, 7:23 PM
zlolz

Kelly Clarkson owns everyone on that list. I loved her for a little bit back in 2005...don't listen to her music anymore but she's still better (and hotter) then everyone on that list.

As for Avril, I don't know, I never liked her all that much, but at least she's not as fake as say...Ashlee Simpson. I don't see a comeback though, since her 2nd album wasn't even as big as her first anyway.

Old 02/14/2007, 2:22 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
i wish u2 would die
They legions upon legions of loyal fans all over the world. So it's impossible for them to fizzle out. LOL

Old 02/23/2007, 8:05 PM
Remember me?

Avril Lavigne is like, so whatever.

LMAO. Her lyrics ~inspire me~.
Old 02/23/2007, 8:51 PM
D2F

Say, that is a really grown up, matured sound. She must have used her time off to really master her craft...her ART...her masterpiece that is Girlfriend

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 02/23/2007, 8:57 PM
Bender: still great

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooow. That could very well be the greatest melodic death metal masterpiece of our time. I never thought I would ever say this, but it completely makes Dark Tranquility look like a bunch of posers in comparison.

Seriously, though, what the fvck was that? I thought Avril was supposed to evolve into something similar to another Alanis Morrissette...y'know, acoustic adult contemporary...but, oh dear, Avril better have had satirical intentions behind that video/song, because that was the saddest joke I've ever seen in my life. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna listen to some REAL music. Such as Dark Tranquility.

EDIT: After watching it again, I'm pretty sure that it WAS satire. I mean, why in the name of Stephen Colbert would she devolve her sound even further from what it used to be? Wait, don't answer that.

Last edited by Cagnazzo; 02/23/2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02/24/2007, 1:09 AM
D2F

I'm really not buying the satire angle though. I bit the bullet so you guys wouldn't have to and found a youtube clip with like 3 or 4 songs from her new album on it and had a listen. For some reason youtube wasn't letting me skip ahead so I really only got through 2 before I wanted to hang myself. It's basically old Avril (turns out she DOESN'T care what we think about her. Say, that sure sounds like Avril to me!) but for every "I don't care wat u think!!!" song theres a slow one with sad piano music and awful acoustic guitar (which I assume she's playing). She simply does not have any voice to speak of and it's really evident when there isn't much in the way of instrumentals to drown it out. She's done.

Cag PLEASE do not tell me you just spelled Dark Tranquillity without their trademark 2 Ls. You're lucky I caught you there because if you make that kind of mistake around Gothenburg and it'll be your ass.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 02/24/2007, 1:02 PM

LMAO, I've never even noticed that. I always thought the word "Tranquillity" was spelled with one L instead of two. I'm so stupid, yes?

Old 02/24/2007, 4:53 PM
D2F

Apparently it can be spelled both ways. I had always spelled it with 1 L till I heard of the band.

Old 02/24/2007, 5:09 PM

Even still, this is a lot more fun than talking about (mostly) crappy pop stars, eh?

Old 02/24/2007, 5:28 PM
D2F

I suppose so. I wasn't into Dark Tranquillity for very long, but I do agree that they are leagues ahead of these pop stars.

Old 02/24/2007, 7:56 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

ugh...i'm gonna have to listen to this s hit over and over again when the album is released.i'll make sure I always drive so the cd isn't in my car
damn anvil loving girlfriend
Old 02/24/2007, 7:58 PM

Quote:
ugh...i'm gonna have to listen to this s hit over and over again when the album is released.i'll make sure I always drive so the cd isn't in my car
damn anvil loving girlfriend
Might I suggest smacking her with a large trout?

Old 02/24/2007, 8:09 PM
zlolz

Well...that was a horrible way to spend 4 minutes of my life. WTF was Avril thinking?

Old 02/25/2007, 10:58 AM
Regular

Hey Nem, check out what my friend said about Avril and her new album coming out:

"Kelly Clarkson and Avril have the best shot still making hit music down the road. Breakaway was a huge success, and I think she’s moved on from being known as that girl who won Idol. Avril achieved lots of credibility with the success of Under My Skin.

I wouldn’t really call Avril's new album to be a comeback. Three years between albums is pretty standard, plus she’s been in the public eye. She spent most of 2005 touring and also appeared in three movies. I’m very excited about the album, I love Keep Holding On. I’ve been waiting for this album since Christmas 2005, and I’m sure it will be great."

Apparently, he hasn't listened to Girlfriend yet.

Anyway, I've listened to Avril's new song and I've watched her new video- and I hate both. Girlfriend is one of the most annoying pieces of sh!t I've heard in a while. Does Avril think she's Gwen Stefani or something? She's gone back to being a joke- only with some Britney-esque vibes. Hilary Duff's With Love song is even better than this crap. WTF was Avril thinking?

So much for musical credibility and evolution.

I must now concede that Kelly Clarkson will eventually outlast this punk-wannabe-turned-pop-tart-but-actually-can't-decide-who-she-is-b/c-she's-just-another-marketing-tool.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jericho; 02/25/2007 at 1:32 PM.
Old 02/25/2007, 12:04 PM
D2F

I disagree with your friend in that Avril has hardly been in the public eye. I haven't heard a single word spoken about her for years and years. She also must have been in some really really minor movie roles because I hadn't heard of that either. I think most people believe that Avril dropped off the face of the earth after sk8er boi.

I do agree with you though. The last time anybody though about idol when they thought of Kelly was probably Miss Independent. I do think Kelly has the best chance because the south apparently loves how she says y'all all the time (she's always doing events like the Daytona 500) and teenage girls love the subject matter of her songs. As I've said, her music isn't really my cup of tea but she's got a good voice and knows what a large segment of the country likes so she'll do well. Avril will not.

Old 02/25/2007, 12:41 PM

Somehow, I'm still ever so slightly convinced that Avril's new album is going to be 'satirical' in the vein of Jewel's 2003 album. Anyone remember that album and how MADtv made fun of the song "Intuition"?

Speaking of, I now demand that MADtv makes fun of the 'new' Avril immediately. Crista would be perfect with the role!

Old 02/25/2007, 4:00 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Jewel crossing over to do mainstream pop was a huge mistake,she should of stuck with that folky stuff she did.also nelly furtado took a pretty big risk last year with her total 180 in music styles,much like jewel...except shes lucky that people actually like it a whole lot more(not including me)

Anvils last album actually had some alright songs on it(ugh i hate admitting that) but its like she had a big fall and hit her head cause she now more annoying then ever
Old 02/25/2007, 4:12 PM

I love how you call her Anvil

Old 02/25/2007, 4:21 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

She'll never be avril lavigne to me,she'll always be Anvil Latrine..and thats just how it is
Old 03/18/2007, 12:20 PM
Regular

Just a little curious-

What did you guys think when Avril performed on MAD back in Dec 2004?