Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one of today’s young female artists has the brightest future?
Hilary Duff 2 11.11%
Avril Lavigne 2 11.11%
Kelly Clarkson 8 44.44%
Ashlee Simpson 0 0%
Amy Lee 2 11.11%
Shakira 1 5.56%
Pink 3 16.67%
Lindsay Lohan 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/05/2006, 5:43 PM
D2F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
BTW, I’m familiar with Lacuna Coil. I just didn’t know the name of the female singer. My friend loves Lacuna Coil. But the only song I’ve heard from them is “Heaven’s A Lie,” which I think is an old song. My friend says Evanescence is just a poppy version of LC, which I believe is true.
Yes, I think thats an accurate assessment. Lacuna Coil relies heavily on Cristina and to some extent, Andrea's technical singing ability as well as the instrumental ability of the band. In Evanescence, Amy Lee is a diva and her band doesn't really even need to be there, as they don't contribute much and nobody knows who they are.

Although, I will say that new LC (Karmacode) is a somewhat poppy version of LC

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent

Old 11/11/2006, 11:22 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
Yes, I think thats an accurate assessment. Lacuna Coil relies heavily on Cristina and to some extent, Andrea's technical singing ability as well as the instrumental ability of the band. In Evanescence, Amy Lee is a diva and her band doesn't really even need to be there, as they don't contribute much and nobody knows who they are.

Although, I will say that new LC (Karmacode) is a somewhat poppy version of LC
Hey- I don't mean to keep this topic alive, Nem. But I just got done watching some of SNL after MAD tonight. And I came up with this simple equation:

Evanescence = Christina Aguilera doing phony goth-rock!

How can you call Amy Lee a rock queen when she sings like Mariah Carey?

Old 11/12/2006, 12:05 AM
D2F

Answer: because she dresses the part and thats whats important.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 12/04/2006, 2:47 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i was torn between amy lee and pink
i love amy a whole lot more,but voted for pink
simply because she always comes back when u think shes down and i think shes a real fighter,plus i think she has one of the best voices
amy lee is with a band,i think that puts her at a disadvantage even though shes an awesome singer
Old 12/09/2006, 7:25 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
i was torn between amy lee and pink
i love amy a whole lot more,but voted for pink
simply because she always comes back when u think shes down and i think shes a real fighter,plus i think she has one of the best voices
amy lee is with a band,i think that puts her at a disadvantage even though shes an awesome singer
Hey Tarza-

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday became as big and successful and influential as U2, Green Day and Madonna?

Give it some thought.

Old 12/09/2006, 3:10 PM
His senses were dimmed

Quote:
Hey- I don't mean to keep this topic alive, Nem. But I just got done watching some of SNL after MAD tonight. And I came up with this simple equation:

Evanescence = Christina Aguilera doing phony goth-rock!

How can you call Amy Lee a rock queen when she sings like Mariah Carey?
Evaneacence < Christina Aguilera's attempt at gothishness with 'Fighter'.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 12/09/2006, 9:36 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

Quote:
Hey Tarza-

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday became as big and successful and influential as U2, Green Day and Madonna?

Give it some thought.
i wouldn't enjoy that at all,i think anvil stinks,but my g/f totally adores her...as well as hilary,i should shoot her
Old 12/25/2006, 6:08 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~ View Post
Evaneacence < Christina Aguilera's attempt at gothishness with 'Fighter'.
So TJ, I take it you're not an Evanescence fan.

Why is that? Is it for the same reasons Nem outlined?

Old 12/25/2006, 6:10 PM
Regular

Quote:
i wouldn't enjoy that at all,i think anvil stinks,but my g/f totally adores her...as well as hilary,i should shoot her
Hey Tarz- Why do you think Avril stinks?

What makes other female artists better than her, considering how popular she was back in '04 and how she was on MAD?

Old 12/26/2006, 11:02 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i've never been a fan,i heard her sing live on tv,when she was in australia and it was just really really poor.plus i heard her terrible attempt at singing chop suey...what was she thinking.
i don't mind a couple of her songs and i think her 2nd album was a huge step up from her first...but still...the bad live singing put me off
Old 12/30/2006, 10:46 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~ View Post
I think I would be happy to see Avril become huge like U2. I'd be all like, you go girl! Or something.
But Green Day Sucks ass.

(I realy only posted because I hate what Gren Day is now)
(Actually I would still be gad to see Avril become massively popular too.)
Hey, TJ- Why do you hate Green Day so much? Please give a full explanation.

Old 02/10/2007, 5:37 PM
Regular

Default New Avril Lavigne Album Coming in April 2007!!!!

Hey everyone. I know around half of the people here hates her. But I think she’s a bit better than all the crap that the music industry has put out there. I mean, we all have at least one favourite female artist out there. Under My Skin, I believe, is a VERY solid record, and it earned her a ton of credibility.

Anyway, Avril is coming out with a new album in April of this year. The title of her new album will be The Best Damn Thing. Its lead single will be called ‘Girlfriend,’ and will debut on the radio in February. Last month, the song ‘Keep Holding On’ was released on the Eragon soundtrack, and will be one of the tracks on the new record. I have yet to listen to the new song, though.

Well, it’s been four years since Avril has made any new music. Do you guys think she will she be able to make a strong comeback? Will she be able to continue her success with her forthcoming third album? Will she still be able to please both critics and fans alike? Will she be able to return to stardom after moving away from the joke that put her on the map back in 2002?

Or will her career simply collapse in the wake of the immense success of Kelly Clarkson?

Any thoughts?

Old 02/10/2007, 6:07 PM
D2F

Quote:
Hey everyone. I know around half of the people here hates her. But I think she’s a bit better than all the crap that the music industry has put out there. I mean, we all have at least one favourite female artist out there. Under My Skin, I believe, is a VERY solid record, and it earned her a ton of credibility.

Anyway, Avril is coming out with a new album in April of this year. The title of her new album will be The Best Damn Thing. Its lead single will be called ‘Girlfriend,’ and will debut on the radio in February. Last month, the song ‘Keep Holding On’ was released on the Eragon soundtrack, and will be one of the tracks on the new record. I have yet to listen to the new song, though.

Well, it’s been four years since Avril has made any new music. Do you guys think she will she be able to make a strong comeback? Will she be able to continue her success with her forthcoming third album? Will she still be able to please both critics and fans alike? Will she be able to return to stardom after moving away from the joke that put her on the map back in 2002?

Or will her career simply collapse in the wake of the immense success of Kelly Clarkson?

Any thoughts?

Old 02/10/2007, 6:17 PM
Bender: still great

Quote:
I'll just quote that and echo the sentiments.

Old 02/10/2007, 9:54 PM
Regular

Quote:
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm or something...just out there.

Didn't you say you wouldn't give anyone crap for having a particular musical taste?

Old 02/10/2007, 10:05 PM
D2F

Quote:
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm or something...just out there.

Didn't you say you wouldn't give anyone crap for having a particular musical taste?
I did say that and it still holds true. You brought up Avril's upcoming album and asked our opinions of her future in relation to this new album. I responded by stating that I do not want (that album). That's not giving you crap for your musical taste. I did take note of that subtle jab at Kelly Clarkson though (it doesn't bother me though, as I don't listen to her music).

To put my opinion in a less visual format: No, I don't think Avril's new album will be very successful. Avril is no longer relevant and I cannot think of a single person that I know personally who would be interested in a new album from her.

Old 02/11/2007, 3:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
I did say that and it still holds true. You brought up Avril's upcoming album and asked our opinions of her future in relation to this new album. I responded by stating that I do not want (that album). That's not giving you crap for your musical taste. I did take note of that subtle jab at Kelly Clarkson though (it doesn't bother me though, as I don't listen to her music).

To put my opinion in a less visual format: No, I don't think Avril's new album will be very successful. Avril is no longer relevant and I cannot think of a single person that I know personally who would be interested in a new album from her.

I knew you weren't knocking me for my musical taste. I just found it odd and unexpected receiving a response in the form of a picture of a guy wetting himself.

Anyway, you do have a right to your own thoughts about what I asked.

But keep in mind that no one can really predict the success (or lack thereof) of an artist's return to music. Three years ago, the world thought that Green Day, Mariah Carey, and Madonna were all but washed up. But then all three of them made major comebacks in 2005- Green Day with American Idiot, Mariah with Emancipation Of Mimi, and Madonna with Confessions On A Dance Floor.

Plus, 7 years ago, everyone thought U2 were dead. But then they returned with a bang in 2000 with All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Therefore- Will Avril's third CD become a hit? Who knows.

Old 02/11/2007, 11:14 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i wish u2 would die

Also...my g/f is practicall wetting herself,much like the guy in the picture,because of how badly she wanst Anvils new album.So there u go..theres at least one fan
Old 02/11/2007, 11:50 PM
D2F

Quote:
i wish u2 would die
I swear, Tarz, I can always count on you to say exactly what I'm thinking, except in an Australian accent.

........Uluru

Old 02/12/2007, 5:58 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i type in an accent too,special