Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one of today’s young female artists has the brightest future?
Hilary Duff 2 11.11%
Avril Lavigne 2 11.11%
Kelly Clarkson 8 44.44%
Ashlee Simpson 0 0%
Amy Lee 2 11.11%
Shakira 1 5.56%
Pink 3 16.67%
Lindsay Lohan 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11/05/2006, 5:43 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
BTW, I’m familiar with Lacuna Coil. I just didn’t know the name of the female singer. My friend loves Lacuna Coil. But the only song I’ve heard from them is “Heaven’s A Lie,” which I think is an old song. My friend says Evanescence is just a poppy version of LC, which I believe is true.
Yes, I think thats an accurate assessment. Lacuna Coil relies heavily on Cristina and to some extent, Andrea's technical singing ability as well as the instrumental ability of the band. In Evanescence, Amy Lee is a diva and her band doesn't really even need to be there, as they don't contribute much and nobody knows who they are.

Although, I will say that new LC (Karmacode) is a somewhat poppy version of LC

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote




  #22  
Old 11/11/2006, 11:22 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
Yes, I think thats an accurate assessment. Lacuna Coil relies heavily on Cristina and to some extent, Andrea's technical singing ability as well as the instrumental ability of the band. In Evanescence, Amy Lee is a diva and her band doesn't really even need to be there, as they don't contribute much and nobody knows who they are.

Although, I will say that new LC (Karmacode) is a somewhat poppy version of LC
Hey- I don't mean to keep this topic alive, Nem. But I just got done watching some of SNL after MAD tonight. And I came up with this simple equation:

Evanescence = Christina Aguilera doing phony goth-rock!

How can you call Amy Lee a rock queen when she sings like Mariah Carey?

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11/12/2006, 12:05 AM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Answer: because she dresses the part and thats whats important.

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12/04/2006, 2:47 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
i was torn between amy lee and pink
i love amy a whole lot more,but voted for pink
simply because she always comes back when u think shes down and i think shes a real fighter,plus i think she has one of the best voices
amy lee is with a band,i think that puts her at a disadvantage even though shes an awesome singer
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12/09/2006, 7:25 AM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
i was torn between amy lee and pink
i love amy a whole lot more,but voted for pink
simply because she always comes back when u think shes down and i think shes a real fighter,plus i think she has one of the best voices
amy lee is with a band,i think that puts her at a disadvantage even though shes an awesome singer
Hey Tarza-

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday became as big and successful and influential as U2, Green Day and Madonna?

Give it some thought.

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12/09/2006, 3:10 PM
TheGooseGoblin's Avatar
TheGooseGoblin Male TheGooseGoblin is offline
His senses were dimmed
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Trina's Table
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Hey- I don't mean to keep this topic alive, Nem. But I just got done watching some of SNL after MAD tonight. And I came up with this simple equation:

Evanescence = Christina Aguilera doing phony goth-rock!

How can you call Amy Lee a rock queen when she sings like Mariah Carey?
Evaneacence < Christina Aguilera's attempt at gothishness with 'Fighter'.

__________________
We All Go A Little MAD Sometimes...


Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12/09/2006, 9:36 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Hey Tarza-

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday became as big and successful and influential as U2, Green Day and Madonna?

Give it some thought.
i wouldn't enjoy that at all,i think anvil stinks,but my g/f totally adores her...as well as hilary,i should shoot her
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12/25/2006, 6:08 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~ View Post
Evaneacence < Christina Aguilera's attempt at gothishness with 'Fighter'.
So TJ, I take it you're not an Evanescence fan.

Why is that? Is it for the same reasons Nem outlined?

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12/25/2006, 6:10 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
i wouldn't enjoy that at all,i think anvil stinks,but my g/f totally adores her...as well as hilary,i should shoot her
Hey Tarz- Why do you think Avril stinks?

What makes other female artists better than her, considering how popular she was back in '04 and how she was on MAD?

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12/26/2006, 11:02 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
i've never been a fan,i heard her sing live on tv,when she was in australia and it was just really really poor.plus i heard her terrible attempt at singing chop suey...what was she thinking.
i don't mind a couple of her songs and i think her 2nd album was a huge step up from her first...but still...the bad live singing put me off
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12/30/2006, 10:46 AM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TJ~ View Post
I think I would be happy to see Avril become huge like U2. I'd be all like, you go girl! Or something.
But Green Day Sucks ass.

(I realy only posted because I hate what Gren Day is now)
(Actually I would still be gad to see Avril become massively popular too.)
Hey, TJ- Why do you hate Green Day so much? Please give a full explanation.

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02/10/2007, 5:37 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Default New Avril Lavigne Album Coming in April 2007!!!!

Hey everyone. I know around half of the people here hates her. But I think she’s a bit better than all the crap that the music industry has put out there. I mean, we all have at least one favourite female artist out there. Under My Skin, I believe, is a VERY solid record, and it earned her a ton of credibility.

Anyway, Avril is coming out with a new album in April of this year. The title of her new album will be The Best Damn Thing. Its lead single will be called ‘Girlfriend,’ and will debut on the radio in February. Last month, the song ‘Keep Holding On’ was released on the Eragon soundtrack, and will be one of the tracks on the new record. I have yet to listen to the new song, though.

Well, it’s been four years since Avril has made any new music. Do you guys think she will she be able to make a strong comeback? Will she be able to continue her success with her forthcoming third album? Will she still be able to please both critics and fans alike? Will she be able to return to stardom after moving away from the joke that put her on the map back in 2002?

Or will her career simply collapse in the wake of the immense success of Kelly Clarkson?

Any thoughts?

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02/10/2007, 6:07 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Hey everyone. I know around half of the people here hates her. But I think she’s a bit better than all the crap that the music industry has put out there. I mean, we all have at least one favourite female artist out there. Under My Skin, I believe, is a VERY solid record, and it earned her a ton of credibility.

Anyway, Avril is coming out with a new album in April of this year. The title of her new album will be The Best Damn Thing. Its lead single will be called ‘Girlfriend,’ and will debut on the radio in February. Last month, the song ‘Keep Holding On’ was released on the Eragon soundtrack, and will be one of the tracks on the new record. I have yet to listen to the new song, though.

Well, it’s been four years since Avril has made any new music. Do you guys think she will she be able to make a strong comeback? Will she be able to continue her success with her forthcoming third album? Will she still be able to please both critics and fans alike? Will she be able to return to stardom after moving away from the joke that put her on the map back in 2002?

Or will her career simply collapse in the wake of the immense success of Kelly Clarkson?

Any thoughts?

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02/10/2007, 6:17 PM
Cagnazzo's Avatar
Cagnazzo Male Cagnazzo is offline
Bender: still great
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WCW Special Forces
Posts: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I'll just quote that and echo the sentiments.

__________________
I've gone minimalist now
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02/10/2007, 9:54 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm or something...just out there.

Didn't you say you wouldn't give anyone crap for having a particular musical taste?

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02/10/2007, 10:05 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm or something...just out there.

Didn't you say you wouldn't give anyone crap for having a particular musical taste?
I did say that and it still holds true. You brought up Avril's upcoming album and asked our opinions of her future in relation to this new album. I responded by stating that I do not want (that album). That's not giving you crap for your musical taste. I did take note of that subtle jab at Kelly Clarkson though (it doesn't bother me though, as I don't listen to her music).

To put my opinion in a less visual format: No, I don't think Avril's new album will be very successful. Avril is no longer relevant and I cannot think of a single person that I know personally who would be interested in a new album from her.

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02/11/2007, 3:47 PM
Jericho Male Jericho is offline
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
I did say that and it still holds true. You brought up Avril's upcoming album and asked our opinions of her future in relation to this new album. I responded by stating that I do not want (that album). That's not giving you crap for your musical taste. I did take note of that subtle jab at Kelly Clarkson though (it doesn't bother me though, as I don't listen to her music).

To put my opinion in a less visual format: No, I don't think Avril's new album will be very successful. Avril is no longer relevant and I cannot think of a single person that I know personally who would be interested in a new album from her.

I knew you weren't knocking me for my musical taste. I just found it odd and unexpected receiving a response in the form of a picture of a guy wetting himself.

Anyway, you do have a right to your own thoughts about what I asked.

But keep in mind that no one can really predict the success (or lack thereof) of an artist's return to music. Three years ago, the world thought that Green Day, Mariah Carey, and Madonna were all but washed up. But then all three of them made major comebacks in 2005- Green Day with American Idiot, Mariah with Emancipation Of Mimi, and Madonna with Confessions On A Dance Floor.

Plus, 7 years ago, everyone thought U2 were dead. But then they returned with a bang in 2000 with All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Therefore- Will Avril's third CD become a hit? Who knows.

__________________
"Submit...Because the Truth Won't Set You Free."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02/11/2007, 11:14 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
i wish u2 would die

Also...my g/f is practicall wetting herself,much like the guy in the picture,because of how badly she wanst Anvils new album.So there u go..theres at least one fan
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02/11/2007, 11:50 PM
NemesisDesign's Avatar
NemesisDesign Male NemesisDesign is offline
D2F
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzapam View Post
i wish u2 would die
I swear, Tarz, I can always count on you to say exactly what I'm thinking, except in an Australian accent.

........Uluru

__________________

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02/12/2007, 5:58 PM
tarzapam's Avatar
tarzapam Female tarzapam is offline
Ready for a change
Active Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,478
i type in an accent too,special
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[MADtv] Young Alanis (#213) ef_7 MADtv Transcripts 27 04/21/2016 3:08 AM
[MADtv] Phil LaMarr Gets Some Young Justice as Seaman, Meaning Aquaman Miss Information Front Page News 0 11/26/2010 10:12 PM
[MADtv] Keone Young Miss Information MADtv Impressions 0 12/16/2008 1:38 AM
[MADtv] MADtv wins at the Fourth Annual Makeup Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards! Cat_Named_CeCe Front Page News 2 02/27/2003 7:14 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:10 AM.