Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/13/2008, 1:41 AM
Run & Tell DAT! Homeboy!

Default Top 5 Albums of 2008

What are your top 5 favorite albums of this year?

(Note that this is all tentative as there are still a few albums I haven't heard, but would like to)

To me, this year was a little mediocre as far as new music was concerned. I discovered a lot of cool new artists and bands this year, moreso than any other year, but nothing really WOW'd me. Most of the albums left me largely disappointed (Gnarls Barkley, Shiny Toy Guns), some were just okay, nothing great (Innerpartysystem, Gym Class Heroes, Chromeo), and some left me pleasantly surprised (T-Pain, Crystal Castles, Lykke Li, Common). But these five albums are my favorite:

AC/DC: Black Ice
I REALLY enjoyed this album. It's definitely album of the year material. They claimed that is was their best work yet--even better than Back in Black. I don't know if I'd say "better," but it's definitely on par with it. I think that eight year break did them some good.
Best Songs: "Decibel," "Wheels," "Black Ice"

N*E*R*D: Seeing Sounds
This WAS my favorite until I heard Black Ice. After they had announced they were disbanding after Fly or Die, I obviously wasn't expecting a new album from them, but I'm glad they made a new one. This is not only one of the best albums of 2008, it's N*E*R*D's best work to date. Every time I listen to it, I notice a new song that I love that I previously slept on.
Best Songs: "You Know What," "Spaz," "Happy," "Anti-Matter"

Santogold: Santogold
A lot of people have compared her to M.I.A., but I like her a lot more than M.I.A. I didn't particularly care for "LES Artistes," but her album left me pleasantly surprised. I like her blend of various styles, and how she isn't afraid to say she's not a Hip-Hop/R&B artist just because she's black. Plus, she's American, and you don't find to many Americans doing music like this.
Best Songs: "Creator," "Lights Out," "Shove It," "Starstuck"

Bloc Party: Intimacy
I wasn't a big fan of their last album, A Weekend in the City (at first anyway, after listening to it again it was actually pretty good), but this one was really good. I didn't need for it to grow on me like their last one, either. I was in love with it from the first listen. Almost makes me feel bad I missed their show in Vegas tonight.
Best Songs: "Talons," "Halo," "Ares," "Better than Heaven."

This one is the hardest for me. I've been debating what should me my number five. I'm torn between Crystal Castles, Youth Novels by Lykke Li, and 808's & Heartbreak. For the purpose of this list, I'll say 808's.

I was a little apprehensive to listen to this one, and I had said from day one that this is the type of album that could ruin Kanye's career. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty good, though probably not on par with his last album. His voice isn't too great, even with the autotune, but there is a lot of heart in these songs. Say what you will about Kanye West--he's arrogant, he's a prick, he acts like a douche--it's probably all true. But you CANNOT say that he didn't put his all into every last one of those tracks. That being said, it's not the best album of the year, and in my top five, it's right at number five (if even there).
Best Songs: "Heartless," "Streetlights," "Welcome to Heartbreak," "Coldest Winter"

So, all in all, I was let down by most of the albums in 2008, but there were a few gems. But with K-OS, The Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Jay-Z, OutKast, Craig David and more all expecting to have albums to drop in '09, I think NEXT year will be the one to look out for as far as new music.

So, yeah, that's mine. What were yours?

Old 12/13/2008, 11:02 AM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

#1 Christina Aguilera: Keeps Getting Better, A decade of Hits

Me being a Fan since 1999, she is a 5 time Grammy award winner, has sold over 40 million records world wide, 5 #1 singles, and is by many the greatest voice of our generation, she has proved that her career Keeps Getting Better..

#2 Lil Wayne: That Carter III

Never was a fan of him, but too sell 1 million copies in just a week is something most stars do not do today, so i congrats to him

#3 Leona Lewis: Spirit

Coming out of X-Factor and winning it and going to have the first British Female album go number #1 is huge.

#4 T.I: Paper Trail

Back for his 6th album, Paper Trail is a instant hit for me, he has made 3 Hit singles of the album one featuring Riahnna

#5 Now that's what i Call Music 27!

The 27th Edition with hits from 2007-2008.
Old 12/20/2008, 10:57 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

hmm this is a hard one for me,but this list is just my top 5,in no particular order

*Only by the night - Kings of leon

I'd only heard a couple of their songs before and thought they were ok but this album is just awesome.obviously 'sex on fire' has been the breakthrough song off this album but theres so much more then that song
Best songs Closer, Use Somebody, Crawl

*teeth lost,hearts won - the grates

The 2nd album from this aussie band was a slow grower on me.Not as instantly catchy as their debut,i became full converted when i saw these guys live a few months ago.Killer performers.
Best songs Burn bridges, carve your name, aw yeah

*we started nothing - the ting tings

the album has been the soundtrack to many teen shows/movies this year(i'm looking at you,90210) really catchy songs.What more can i say?
best songs thats not my name, we walk, shut up and let me go

*sleep through the static - jack johnson

i've always enjoyed the mellow tones of jack johnson.nice simple,chill out kind of songs.He changes things up a little on this album,adding a little electric guitar and some piano.Not as good as his previous albums but still good enough to relax to
Best songs if i had eyes, angel, they do,they don't

*A mouthful - the do

This album is a late discovery for me this year,mostly cause i'm in love with one song on it.Very interesting album though and the chick has a nice voice
Best songs On my shoulders, the bridge is broken, stay(just a little bit more)
Old 12/20/2008, 11:27 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

The Slip - Nine Inch Nails
(Not just good, but FREE)
mc chris - mc chris is dead
Vida la ida or Death and all his Friends - Coldplay
(Oh yeah, you heard me)
Untitled - Nas
Chinese Democracy - Gun's n' Roses
(Only cause they said it'd never happen)

And also cool:
Greatest Hits - Morrissey
B sides and C sides - Rancid

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

-------------------------------
Old 12/21/2008, 2:37 PM
D2F

This won't be much of a choice I guess since I don't own too many albums from 2008 and I'm not thrilled about all of them, but here goes. Ranked with the best being #1:

1) Cynic - Traced in Air

Excellent followup to Cynic's one and only other album released way back in 1993, Focus. If you aren't familiar with Cynic, they are a fairly interesting mix of technical/death metal with jazz fusion, and always have a really spacey/psychadelic theme to them. This album is certainly much lighter on the death metal side but some would say that's a plus. Its a short album at only 34 minutes, but I love it. The best album of the year as far as I'm concerned.

2) Arsis - We Are the Nightmare

Anyone who has follwed the American technical death metal band Arsis for the past few years has probably been a bit worried at the direction they've been heading. Their first album A Celebration of Guilt and EP A Diamond for Disease were both great. United in Regret made it seem like they squandered all of their momentum and ability on a mediocre album full of thinly veiled insults about the lead singer's ex-wife. We Are the Nightmare is a good comeback and deserves to be on the same level as the other two. The new album is relentlessly fast and I can hear a stronger classical influence than any of their previous ones.

3) Within Temptation - Black Symphony

I just picked up this album a few weeks ago and I really enjoy it. I don't think there are any new songs but its a 2-cd set of a live performance Within Temptation did with The Metropole Orchestra and the Pa'dam Choir. I've always enjoyed Within Temptation even if they are kind of corny. The songs on this album are absolutely beautiful with the orchestra and choir backing.

4) In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

I think one thing that ex In Flames fans need to understand that Whoracle/Colony-era In Flames is gone, and to stop bitching about how it should come back. They are for good or bad a more accessible band now. While I love their older stuff, this new album is pretty good. In their past few albums they've started to strike a balance between still being able to create a heavy song, but adding some new dynamics, unlike say Reroute to Remain or Soundtrack to Your Escape. This album has an interesting bittersweet sound to it. Pretty accessible but not bad at all.

5) Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist

I was running out of albums I had from 2008. To be honest this isn't amongst Venetian Snares' best work, and you can tell he didn't take too many risks with this album, but it's still pretty solid. It's a lot less dark than most of his other albums, and there are a few uncharacteristically run-of-the-mill garage tracks, but I still consider it a solid breakcore album.

Honorable mentions:
Behemoth - Ezkaton: Not bad but it's 7 tracks, one of them is just a live version of another track on the album, another is a cover and none of it is groundbreaking for Behemoth.
Portishead - Third: It's been quite a long time but this album just doesn't sound like the Portishead I knew. I don't hate the album but it's not what I was looking for in the big comeback album.
Kalmah - For the Revolution: Kalmah is a very talented melodic death metal band from Finland that have been filling the hole left by Children of Bodom after they decided to start sucking ass. Unfortunately, this album is nearly indistinguishable from The Black Waltz, and that album wasn't anything to write home about.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 12/21/2008, 9:19 PM
Totally F****able

I only got two albums this year and I love them both to death so I have to go with

Dream Theater Chaos In Motion. I saw them for the first time this past May and It was the most amazing experience of my life...

Loved The Movie. Saw it 5 times. Bought it a week ago. ABBA. What more can I say??

Old 12/24/2008, 11:34 PM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
5) Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist

I was running out of albums I had from 2008. To be honest this isn't amongst Venetian Snares' best work, and you can tell he didn't take too many risks with this album, but it's still pretty solid. It's a lot less dark than most of his other albums, and there are a few uncharacteristically run-of-the-mill garage tracks, but I still consider it a solid breakcore album.
OH MY FUCKING GOD. I'M NOT ALONE IN THE WORLD. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Anyway....
VSnares-- Detrimentalist (always up for anything VSnares. I didn't actually listen to this, but aparently it's really good.)
Best: N/A

Kommisar-- Rainbow Hyperspace (really good chiptune. I actually semi-know this guy since we talk a lot on ODI, but this is his first album. Give it a whirl.)
Best: Chiprave Fantasy, New World Peace, Rainbow Hyperspace

Britney Spears-- Circus (shut up. If U Seek Amy is one of the best songs she's ever done.)
Best: Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy, Blur

Well...I didn't listen to that many albums this year (never have, really), so those are the three I really enjoyed. peace.

Old 12/26/2008, 11:10 AM
D2F

If you don't already have it, I would suggest getting Hospitality, Winter in the Belly of a Snake, that one with the Hungarian title that I don't want to look up or my probable favorite: Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding. All are great and even better than Detrimentalist.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 12/26/2008, 7:42 PM
Hardcore Fan

I just got Pink & Green on torrents, and I'm almost done with Detrimentalist now. Listening soon.

Old 12/26/2008, 7:49 PM
D2F

Ok, but trust me on Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding if you like what you hear