Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/23/2007, 12:15 AM
Bender: still great

Default Your Dream Band?

The idea of this thread is simple. Take your favorite musicians and combine them to make your own rock/metal/whatever supergroup. You can take members from different bands, or even just take an existing band and simply replace one or two members. You'd have to be a total retard NOT to grasp this idea! In other words, I implied that cartnam is not allowed to respond in this thread, either...

THE Technical Death Metal Supergroup, Enmity:

(it was either this or a prog supergroup, so I flipped a coin, and I ended up with tech-death...)

Vocals: Lord Worm of Cryptopsy. Nasty? Check. Completely incomprehensible? Check. Shrieks that DON'T annoy the hell out of you? Check. Simply put, he's the perfect death metal vocalist.
Guitars: Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel/Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist. With Trey offering raw technical precision and Muhammed contrasting that with neoclassical melodicism (and sweeping arpeggios!), you can't get much better. Period.
Bass: This one is hard because let's face it, the bass just isn't dominant in death metal But anyways, I must fill this category up anyways, and the spot goes to Steve DiGiorgio, who played with everyone from Death to Sadus to Vintersorg. Plus, he uses fretless bass!
Drums: Tomas Corn of Lykathea Aflame. Although a VERY obscure choice, he simply must be heard to be believed. His style is quite reminiscent of Flo Mournier, and is just as insane. Eh, you can take Flo Mournier, Nemesis

I'll be expecting a gothic/dark/black metal supergroup from Nemesis and a prog/classic rock supergroup from Scorp anytime now...

Old 07/23/2007, 1:27 AM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

The Band of Indeterminate Name:

Vocals: Amy Lee of Evanescence. I'm tempted to state that Amy is to vocal beauty as Reiko is to physical, but I know exactly where that would lead. Instead, I'll just mention that Nem can eat me.

Guitars: Robb Flynn of Machine Head and Buckethead of... Buckethead. As the reigning king of groove metal -- the definitive metal subgenre -- Flynn's riff-writing skills are unparalleled. Toss in a little Buckethead innovation and technical wizardry to keep things fresh, and you have the definitive axe duo.

Bass: Randy Jackson of Journey. Just 'cause, dawg.

Drums: Dave Lombardo of Slayer and, more importantly, Testament. He's been christened "the godfather of double bass", and I defy anyone to name a more skilled drummer.

The result? As far as I know, the first female-fronted groove metal band. I'm not so sure that's the best idea in the world, but as long as I'm playing musical god, might as well give it a shot.

Old 07/23/2007, 11:41 AM
zlolz

I don't really know that much about individual band members, but this thread sounds fun, so whatever.

Vocals: Nicole Parker, of course!
Guitars: Simon Cowell. His guitar playing is really underrated.
Bass: Hmm, this is a tough one. Rachael Ray?
Drums: Reiko Take that Blackwind! No, I don't wanna get banned so....uhh...Justin Timberlake.

My band is called the Best Band cause it's true and original.

Old 07/23/2007, 3:39 PM
Administrator

That's quite the... interesting band you've got there, Rurry.

Old 07/23/2007, 6:22 PM

And that's quite the interesting statement YOU'VE got there BW, claiming that f'n groove metal is the definitive metal subgenre! Now if you'll excuse me...

Old 07/23/2007, 7:59 PM
Hardcore Fan

My dream band would have been called the "Late Night Sleepers"

First, I would have Dan Rather singing and raping and playing the guitar in the group.

Second, I would also have Tom Brokaw play lead guitar and sing either as a co-lead singer of do the harmony vocals for the band.

also I have Bernard Shaw (formerly of CNN) playing bass.

along with Larry King playing piano and keyboards but no synthsizers.

and I would have Ronald McDonald playing the drums and challenge the mind of Keith Moon with his drum playing.
Old 07/23/2007, 8:28 PM

Must have been some crazy acid trip.

Old 07/23/2007, 8:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagnazzo View Post
And that's quite the interesting statement YOU'VE got there BW, claiming that f'n groove metal is the definitive metal subgenre!
I apologize -- I should've said "the definitive melody-based, vocally-comprehensible metal subgenre". I won't let it happen again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman2002 View Post
First, I would have Dan Rather singing and raping and playing the guitar in the group.
LOL!

Clearly, cartman is either much smarter or much dumber than you give him credit for, Cag. I get the feeling he's just pushing your buttons at this point.

Old 07/23/2007, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
I apologize -- I should've said "the definitive melody-based, vocally-comprehensible metal subgenre". I won't let it happen again!
Right, yea. I suppose thrash, power, speed, gothic, and melo-death doesn't seem to exist, then. And lest we forget the TRUE end-all be-all genre of metal, prog!

Quote:
Clearly, cartman is either much smarter or much dumber than you give him credit for, Cag. I get the feeling he's just pushing your buttons at this point.
Oh, I've come to that conclusion long ago. Nothing much to do nowadays then play along...

Old 07/24/2007, 11:57 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

The Pop/Rock/Alt Supah Band

Vocals: i had a hard time with this one,cause i too love amy lee.but i'm gonna be different.My lead singer is Katy Steele,From aussie band Little Birdy.Shes got quite a unique voice and u either love it or hate it.

Guitars: Jack White,i think he'd mix it up nicely with katy steele plus he has a lot of interesting ideas.Playing rhythm guitar would be jack johnson.that dude knows how to shred an acoustic.

Bass:Sheryl Crow..haha...banging,she can double as back up vocals

Drums: hmm this has been my toughest decision.But i'm gonna go with Kram...the drummer for aussie band,Spiderbait.He's pretty multi talented guy and is one of the main singers...so another dude to back up sing,yay
Old 07/25/2007, 9:43 PM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Frankly, most of the musicians I'd include in my dream band are six feet under; however, the Rolling Stones notwithstanding, skeletons don't normally make great music. Thus, I'll limit myself to those who are still among the living/half-dead.

Prince (songwriter): lead vocals and electric guitar
Bob Dylan (songwriter): acoustic guitar and harmonica
B.B. King, Thurston Moore: additional lead electric guitar (They'll take turns, all right? Jeez, don't get all technical on me, people. )
Lou Reed: rhythm electric guitar
Bootsy Collins: bass
Aretha Franklin: piano and vocals
Nick Mason: organ
Pete Townshend: synthesizers (b/c he's one of the few who can use them properly)
Alex Van Halen: drums
Sheila E.: additional percussion
Stevie Wonder: additional harmonica
Clarence Clemons: tenor sax
Ornette Coleman: alto sax
Earth, Wind, and Fire: brass horns
Beastie Boys: mashing, turntables, whatchamacallit
The Fat Boys: beat box (To hell with your precious Blake.)
Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Bob Seger, Joe Cocker: background vocals

This supergroup will last about one week before egos clash and its members start suing one another; but that's the biz, baby.

"We can dig it!"
Old 09/22/2007, 3:01 AM
D2F

Damn how did I miss this thread?

Of course Amy Lee had to rear her ugly head here. I guess I can't blame you though, bw. You gotta sell albums to misunderstood 15 year olds across America

Ok my band would be called Guitar Rapist or something like that The debut album would be "Where's Your Guitar Hero Now?"

Lyrics: Any retarded person would do fine for this and would be paid in gummy bears, because lyrics are irrelevant. Go read a book if you want moving literature, this is music. I am considering using this guy. He's already got his own corpse paint and I hear word that he likes turtles:

Bass Guitar: Who cares about bass? I guess Stefan Fimmers from Necrophagist because from the bass you can hear on Only Ash Remains, it sounds pretty cool.

Drums: I was going to say the drummer from The Crown, but we're going to definitely need some double bass here. This isn't going to be one of those metal projects recorded on a playskool boombox. I'll go with Zbigniew Robert "Inferno" Promiński from Behemoth. How the F do you pronounce Zbigniew?

Guitar: The rhythmic bits would be handled by Deicide's Ralph Santolla (who recently left Deicide, WTF?!). He's a solid guitarist. For lead I guess I'd go with James Malone from Arsis.

Keyboards: These would be used SPARINGLY. but I'd go with Saturious from Nokturnal Mortum because he did a good job on Goat Horns and he can play some weirdass Ukranian instruments whose names I can't pronounce.

Guest Vocals: Some tracks will have guest vocalists recorded on really crappy microphones and mixed poorly for ultimate eeriness. The other band members would be given sedatives to play slow to accommodate this sound. I'd go with Vintyr from Basilisk and Akhenaten from Judas Iscariot.

Assistant to the Band Manager: This coveted job would be held by Kelly Clarkson. I will not describe the duties of the job in polite company

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 09/23/2007, 10:44 PM

Damn nice choice on the lyricist. But I gots a querrstion, is he a Varg fanb0i? You know, the kind who was beat up a lot in school, hangs around 4chan, thinks Varg Vikernes was "kewlz0r" for going gangsta on Euronymous, and decided to abandon being a Slipknot mallgoth four months ago because he was tired of all the 20-something Slavic Nazis bothering him for liking false metal on Last.FM? If so, then your band is pretty much perfect.

Old 09/23/2007, 11:03 PM
Totally F****able

I'm still working on mine......im being indecisive

Old 09/23/2007, 11:25 PM
D2F

No, Cag. He just likes turtles.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 09/23/2007, 11:38 PM
Totally F****able

Quote:
The Band of Indeterminate Name:

Bass: Randy Jackson of Journey. Just 'cause, dawg.

Only because I love you and you make my boobies feel special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiUcRTqrLJM

Old 09/23/2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisDesign View Post
No, Cag. He just likes turtles.
Turtles are not kvlt............so, yea, he's perfect.