Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/20/2007, 6:35 PM
Hardcore Fan

Default What's New at MadTV

We've been forwarned that MadTV will be vastly different in Season 13. I can only hope for one thing. More characters.

If you think about it, in the early seasons of MadTV, you had Vancome Lady, Darlene McBride, Antonia, UPS Guy, Bunifa, Cloret...and so many more. Now...the only really good characters on MadTV, IMO, are Wendy Walker (who is a carbon copy of one of Nicole Sullivan's early characters), Stuart Larkin (who is best paired off with Mo Collins), and Coach Hines. But aside from that, there's really no one. OK...so you can throw in Disney Girl as well....

But really, there's hardly any good recurring characters now. And there's no good reason for that.

Cast members should not be accepted onto MadTV unless they have a really strong recurring character. Look at Jordan- at Nicole Parker. Two of the most talented cast members ever on MadTV, and they have no solid recurring characters between them.

So again, I can only hope that MadTV uses more recurring characters in S13, because that's the way to prove that the show's still got it.

Old 10/20/2007, 8:21 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder8484 View Post
Cast members should not be accepted onto MadTV unless they have a really strong recurring character. Look at Jordan- at Nicole Parker. Two of the most talented cast members ever on MadTV, and they have no solid recurring characters between them.
That doesn't make any sense. You say they're two of the most talented cast members, yet by your logic, they shouldn't have even been accepted onto the show...
Old 10/20/2007, 8:50 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

What about Inside Looking Out? Is that not a recurring character between Nicole Parker and Jordan Peele?

What about Nicole's Disney Girl or Tory McLaughlin? Jordan had the Hype Jingleberries, who have since become unfunny, but he did/does have recurring characters.

I think you need a balance of good characters and good impressions. Impressions bring parodies which happen much more frequently, and for good reason. You rarely hear of "good characters" that stand the test of time. The classic example is Stuart; a funny character in his time with Dorene, who's star has lost it's luster. He's not the character he once was. Same goes for overused impressions, Caliendo's Madden, anyone?

It's all about balance, that's for sure.
Old 10/21/2007, 6:58 AM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
What about Inside Looking Out? Is that not a recurring character between Nicole Parker and Jordan Peele?

What about Nicole's Disney Girl or Tory McLaughlin? Jordan had the Hype Jingleberries, who have since become unfunny, but he did/does have recurring characters.

I think you need a balance of good characters and good impressions. Impressions bring parodies which happen much more frequently, and for good reason. You rarely hear of "good characters" that stand the test of time. The classic example is Stuart; a funny character in his time with Dorene, who's star has lost it's luster. He's not the character he once was. Same goes for overused impressions, Caliendo's Madden, anyone?

It's all about balance, that's for sure.

I'm not a huge fan of Inside Looking Out, and I'm certainly not a big fan of the Hype Jingleberries. Tory McLaughlin's fine...and so's the Disney Girl, but those sketches are good because of Nicole's singing talent.... But that's just me. I don't find them anything extraordinary.
Old 10/21/2007, 6:59 AM
Hardcore Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elscorcho View Post
That doesn't make any sense. You say they're two of the most talented cast members, yet by your logic, they shouldn't have even been accepted onto the show...
No... If they would really want to join the show, they would be forced to think up a great recurring character before joining.