Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/14/2004, 4:15 PM
Casual Fan

Default When does Keegan-Michael Key start?

hello....does anyone and i mean anyone know when Keegan-Michael Key makes his debut on MadTV???? i've had the pleasure of watching his sketch work and more impressively his improv work at the second city in chicago the past 3 years and this dude is about to take this show to the next level....he's that fing good

Old 01/14/2004, 4:33 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Hu? He's never been mentioned here. Is he going to be a featured player?

Old 01/14/2004, 4:40 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Yep, it says he joins the cast of Mad TV in January.

This guy is so totally hilarious.

Quote:
We had some college-aged cousins visiting Chicago this summer and we took them to see Pants on Fire at Second City ETC and oh my god I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time.

The whole cast was great but Keegan-Michael Key in particular was such a standout, I was like, why is this guy not on SNL? He does great characters, he's an amazing physical comedian, and he's just so THERE. I don't know him or anything about him, but he's amazing.

I read this morning that he got nominated for a Jeff Award for Best Actor Revue for Pants on Fire. He's up against--- Keegan-Michael Key in Curious George Goes to War. So I guess we can go ahead and call him a Jeff Winner already.
THAT was taken from some random message board.

Quote:
Word is he's been picked up for MAD-TV. I think he starts mid-season.
Quote:
This event is free of charge and open to the public! Former Second City-Detroit stars, including Larry Joe Campbell of ABC’s “According to Jim” with Jim Belushi and Keegan-Michael Key who is set to join the cast of MAD TV in January, are expected to be in attendance.
Link: http://www.olympiaentertainment.com/...%20Weekend.doc

There is actually alot of Info out there about him. It says he is set to join this winter. Is someone leaving?

Old 01/14/2004, 4:49 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

I can just imagine all the girls drooling over this guy. J/K! At least we know they don't hire people based on looks alone.
(He is the guy on top BTW )

Old 01/14/2004, 5:16 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

yeah his loks disturb me...err, it looks like he has a cataract or is missing an eye..:?

Cake. It comes in flavors like chocolate and regular.
Cake. DON'T FORGET THE FROSTING.
Cake. Share it with a friend.
[/color]

Old 01/14/2004, 5:48 PM
Casual Fan

i feel the need to pipe in on the comments on keegan....i agree that photo is awkard as hell, but he's a normal looking dude...i had the pleasure of studying improv under him at the second city and you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER meet a class act like this guy, the most humble man in the world who deflects all praise to his fellow players, but everyone around him knows he is one of if not the best that's come through second city (think about that, you're talking akroyd, belushi, murray, curtain, farley, meadows) this guy is genius, snl wanted him bad and he opted for madtv...he's a classically trained actor you was born with the gift of improv and sketch, his range of characters is going to blow you away and he is far and away the most intelligent man i've ever meant.....as you can see, i have a cult-like affinity towards keegan, a lot of it has to do with his character, talented in a a business where people often basque in praise, this guy is all class......you all are in for a huge treat when this guy starts..........where does it mention him starting in January?? is it anymore specific in terms of dates?
Old 01/14/2004, 5:50 PM
Regular

He sounds really really good. But if he's joining the cast, they need to get rid of some male cast members.
Old 01/14/2004, 5:52 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Nope, no particulars, just that he is starting in January. Is he gonna be thrown in right at the deep end or start off as a featured player? Nichbob, give us the lowdown. I know he plays the guy responsible for the September 11 attacks or something, what else does he do? How old is he? Is he african american? He looks Middle Eastern...

Old 01/14/2004, 5:53 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
He sounds really really good. But if he's joining the cast, they need to get rid of some male cast members.
But who? There is actually a really good mix of males, they all offer different things to the show. I don't really want to see any of the cast members leave. Not even Ike.

Old 01/14/2004, 6:01 PM
Casual Fan

keegan is a malado (spelling?)....grew up in detroit, got his masters in theatre and performance at penn state....met a guy named joshua funk (a long-time and current director at second city) while doing an independent film....josh saw the genius in him and got him the audition....i spoke recently with the musical director who saw keegan's audition and said within 30 seconds they made up their mind, he was in......now you have to understand, to get cast on a second city stage, it traditionally takes years, going through some form of training and touring on one of their touring companies, this guy walked right in and set the place on fire since he's been there.....i'm not sure of the status, whether or not he'll be a featured player or not.....like you said he looks middle eastern, which gives him amazing flexibility in his characters, his middle eastern character(s) are incredible, his yuppie is genius, his street thug is amazing and each time you see these characters, you forget you're watching keegan.....oh yeah, he has the best bill cosby i've ever seen.....and again, i must stress how much of a class act this guy is, purely geniune and a giving player, on top of all this, he was the best improv teacher i have yet to come across in chicago
Old 01/14/2004, 6:11 PM
Regular

God this guy sounds really really good. I really hope he joins soon.

Quote:
But who? There is actually a really good mix of males, they all offer different things to the show. I don't really want to see any of the cast members leave. Not even Ike.
Paul Vogt, Josh Meyers, and Ike(I like him, but if someone HAD to go it'd be him.)
Old 01/14/2004, 6:23 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

Yeah, they shouldnt get rid of anyone tho.

Yay a new castmember.. or Featuredplayer.. whichever.

[/color]

Old 01/14/2004, 6:36 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

How about.... Bobby, Ike? Bobby is one of the best male castmembers, but his talent is being wasted on this show. Paul.... I am actually starting to like him. His voice is incredibly annoying, but he is really funny 7/10 of the time. Frank might leave too, he is barely a castmember

Old 01/14/2004, 6:39 PM
WHERE'S MY BROTHER?!

i vote bobby, hes good, but his spot couldbe filled easily.

I like ike, josh and paul, they are funny.

[/color]

Old 01/14/2004, 6:47 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Nichbob, It's spelt Melado, and I know that it is a slang word for a particluar race... which race is it?

Edited to add: LOL! This guy really looks like the guy who washes windows at my work, Luigi... lol

Old 01/14/2004, 6:50 PM
Casual Fan

half black, half white
Old 01/14/2004, 8:12 PM
Casual Fan

The word is Mulatto. Melado is a mixture of sugar and molasses, which I guess could be interpreted as a racial slur, but I assume was just an unfortunate misspelling.
Old 01/14/2004, 8:31 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

LOL! I got that from a website that jumped all over a guy for spelling it Melado!!!!

Stupid questions answered:

Quote:
is robert smith from the minnesota vikings a black, white, or a malado? what is his skin color?
Response:

Quote:
Well after what seemed like many months of waiting for the right answer, doNtBeSt00pid!!!! finally came to the rescue and sent us this response:

Well...This is in response to the Robert Smith question. He is of mixed Race. That is the official answer. Or...as it was posted in the question...MALADO. You know...If you are going to use a slang term to specify someone's race...the least you could do is spell the slang word correctly...GEESH...The proper way to spell it is Melado.

I was just going with the limited amount of information I could find.

I'm gonna email them now...

Old 01/14/2004, 9:24 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

He sounds promising! This looks like great news for MADtv. A matter of fact, this should be front page news. I'll talk to Matt right now about it.

Actually if somone was going to leave it likely will be Aries. After all they hired Jordan and now this guy? According to Frank, MADtv is pleased with everyone and no one is leaving. Well...in my opinion that won't happen. THey don't make featured players keep that status 2 years in a row. So the current cast stands at (discluding Mo Collins)...

Ike Barinholtz
Frank Caliendo
Daniele Gaither
Bobby Lee
Keegan-Michael Key
Michael McDonald
Josh Meyers
Nicole Parker
Melissa Paul
Jordan Peele
Ron Pederson
Aries Spears
Gillian Vigman
Paul Vogt
Stephnie Weir

...the seams have to rip somewhere and someone is going to fall out. And since MADtv rarely has anymore than 11 spots on the perminant cast list, at least four people have got to go.

Old 01/14/2004, 10:00 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
perminant
Per-ma-nent. Can you get it right one day? Drives me nuts.