Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Music
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/23/2007, 5:15 PM
Regular

Thumbs Down How can you explain Hannah Montana’s explosion in popularity?

Hey, guys- I'm back. Well, I’m sure you’ve all heard about it- since it’s been over the news. Disney star Hannah Montana (or whatever her name is) has become the most heavily demanded name these days. Her concert tour has become the hottest ticket in town- way hotter than The Police, Bruce Springsteen, and Van Halen. Her tickets have out-sold more and faster than any artist ever before. She is currently bigger than a Beatles reunion or a Rolling Stones world tour, as the media have said.

Just check out these news articles-
http://www.people.com/people/article...081548,00.html
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3757887
http://www.mercurynews.com/celebriti...nclick_check=1
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2027377.story

Now here’s what I’d like to know from you guys:
Do you approve of Hannah Montana’s overall success?

How could a 14-year-old Debbie Gibson clone become so commercially successful?

What’s so great about a teenage hick girl wearing a blonde wig?

Do you think this girl’s popularity will last?

And if you were a parent, would you spend your $ for your kids to enjoy this stuff?

I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks!

Old 12/23/2007, 5:18 PM
zlolz

Because The Disney Channel controls people's minds Simple as that, really.

Old 12/23/2007, 5:27 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

By any chance, are you involved in market research or evening news, Jericho?

Old 12/23/2007, 5:38 PM
Bender: still great

Can't say I'm too surprised. I mean, yea, Disney can literally throw billions of dollars (not an exaggeration) at marketing Hannah Montana, combined with the fact that she's Billy Ray Cyrus' little girl y'all, and you have a marketing mammoth that is just about unstoppable by mankind. You can be sure, if I ever (hypothetically) catch my kids listening to Hannah Montana, I'll force them to listen to The Mars Volta until their ears fall off.

She's flavor of the month material. Then again, so are most every other pop star in existence. She's also a bit like leg warmers from the oh-so-amazing '80s (Williamsburg Hipster y'all!) Does anyone care about them or even remotely like them? Hell no! Will you start professing your love for them when your best friend starts wearing the same leg warmers? Hell yes! Even still, I'd go as far as saying she can't come close to comparing to any of the '80s teen pop idols, just like how the '90s teen idols were rubbish (since it seems I have a fascination with the Reagan era, apparently). Tiffany was way better IMO.

On another note, I have proof that there is, in fact, a god (bad pun intended):

Hannah Montana: 583,929 plays scrobbled on Last.fm
Behemoth: 4,011,512 plays scrobbled on Last.fm

HAY JERICHO, IF HANNAH MONTANA IS SO POPULAR, THEN HOW COME DEATH METAL BAND BEHEMOTH HAS SEVEN TIMES THE PLAY COUNT? Please don't answer that.

Old 12/23/2007, 5:39 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Ugh Hannah Montana is annoying
Old 12/23/2007, 5:41 PM
Bender: still great

Quote:
Originally Posted by elscorcho View Post
Ugh Hannah Montana is annoying
No one will talk about her in two years. Just gotta be patient.

Old 12/23/2007, 6:54 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

I see her becoming a bigger Hilary Duff. She's already way more famous than hilary ever was. They got the same start, now it's just a matter of her show to be cancelled so she can slowly lose her notoriety.

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 12/23/2007, 7:08 PM
Winter is coming, and SO AM I
Administrator

Prior to reading this post, I thought Hilary Duff *was* Hannah Montana. Whoopsie.

Old 12/24/2007, 10:34 AM
MADtv Fan Since 1995 EST.

Listen People Hannah Montana became so huge mainly because she is a huge "IDOL" to kids, and she makes Music and she has her own show, it is very simple. The first people on Disney Channel was "Lizzie McGuire" which ran from 2001-2004 and was a huge success it had merchandise, dvd's, etc then she became a music star after making her first album with the help of Disney Channel she decided too make her own album with a different company..then "That's so Raven" came on 2002(UK),2003-2007 and was the biggest show on there and was the highest rated show on there..when Hannah Montana came on in 2006..That's so Raven was still the #1 show, and just like Hillary duff they did the same thing with Raven she got paid 30,000 a episode of her show, she had dvd's, and music albums and she was a huge hit, then a pop singer Hannah Montana came on and she became famous in her first Season of the show..if you did not see she was one of Forbes richest people under 25, she made in 2007 3.5 Million Dollars in 2007 alone, and that does not count her episode pay..cd albums, etc, Hannah Montana will be around for a long time, her show might not be on Disney as long as Ravens but it will surely get picked up on ABC soon. Allot people don't like her but..if you notice everytime a Disney Movie such as UNDERDOG, THE GAME PLAN, PRINCESS ENCHANTED..isn't it strange how they all got #1 in box office and make over $100 Million dollars. because little kids love that, just like WWE wrestling, little kids watch it, and they would actually ASK THERE parents to pay for a ppv to see them, and just like MADtv, MADtv ratings all the time targets younger viewers, unlike SNL...you ask a kid "DO YOU KNOW WHAT SNL IS" they will say no, but most of the time kids will say "YES" to MADtv because it is pop culture. so if anything it is the kids that make Hannah Montana popular
Old 12/24/2007, 9:11 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

I hate that show. Die Hannah Vontanna, plz.

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 12/27/2007, 12:59 AM
D2F

Quote:
Now here’s what I’d like to know from you guys:
Do you approve of Hannah Montana’s overall success?
I'm not sure what that means, but if I think it's deserved, probably not. I can't quite understand why she's so popular.

Quote:
How could a 14-year-old Debbie Gibson clone become so commercially successful?
DISNEY, thats how. Disney has been around for a long time and they know a thing or two about getting money out of stupid little kids

Quote:
What’s so great about a teenage hick girl wearing a blonde wig?
Not a single thing is redeeming about her.

Quote:
Do you think this girl’s popularity will last?
I'd say she's got about 4 years left in her tops and then all these kids will move on to something even worse.

Quote:
And if you were a parent, would you spend your $ for your kids to enjoy this stuff?
I would beat my children with a sock full of hot nickels if they wanted me to pay for them to go to a Hannah Montana concert.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 12/29/2007, 5:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwind View Post
By any chance, are you involved in market research or evening news, Jericho?
No. I just had to ask that question here because the phenomenon is so irritating. Everywhere in the news you hear about the Hannah Montana ticket scandal. I was sure that people here would have interesting things to say.

BTW, I don't come around here too often anymore because some people here have rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry to be

Old 12/29/2007, 6:13 PM
Totally F****able

Nothing is more interesting than a tween marketing phenomenon who will be more well know for her merchandise than she ever will for her acting or singing ability........or lackthereof