Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/03/2003, 3:55 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Voting for the Green Party is the same thing as not voting at all! In the Federal election, likely to come abouts this Spring, will you do me a favour and vote for Canadian Alliance or what will likely happen and a united Conservative Party of Canada so the Federal Liberals get smoked? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

Old 10/03/2003, 6:37 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Voting for the Green Party is the same thing as not voting at all! In the Federal election, likely to come abouts this Spring, will you do me a favour and vote for Canadian Alliance or what will likely happen and a united Conservative Party of Canada so the Federal Liberals get smoked? Pretty please with a cherry on top!
Hey now! I voted for the Green Party, yes thats right I finally figured out the whole candidate thing... Although it didn't even count because it was just a student vote... anyways i'm really upset that the green party didn't get in anywhere!!!! Although I've been told its not the first year thats happened hehehe > >

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 10/03/2003, 7:28 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

I know that that student vote thing was good in its intentions of getting kids focusing in on politics but...without a taste of the real world, kids your age are a little too idealistic vs. realistic when it comes to voting preferences. The first things that come to public students' minds is social issues. The party that promises the biggest tray of far-out social promises is always the ones picked. Since the Liberals are the biggest, most popular party for these things, young people tend to flock to them. But everything comes at a cost and Liberal/other left wing parties are champions of broken promises, high taxes and high waste in spending. BTW, does your teacher preach Liberal policies to your class or at least teach you to hate the Conservatives? I had a few rude teachers who did that.

Old 10/03/2003, 7:36 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
I know that that student vote thing was good in its intentions of getting kids focusing in on politics but...without a taste of the real world, kids your age are a little too idealistic vs. realistic when it comes to voting preferences. The first things that come to public students' minds is social issues. The party that promises the biggest tray of far-out social promises is always the ones picked. Since the Liberals are the biggest, most popular party for these things, young people tend to flock to them. But everything comes at a cost and Liberal/other left wing parties are champions of broken promises, high taxes and high waste in spending. BTW, does your teacher preach Liberal policies to your class or at least teach you to hate the Conservatives? I had a few rude teachers who did that.
We didn't really know anything about what the candidates promises were. The teachers really didn't say too much... they wanted us to decide for ourselves, but that was hard to do since we didn't know anything about them. I just asked other students what each of the candidates stood for. The majority of my school voted for MDP because he was going to raise minimum wage

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 10/08/2003, 12:56 AM
UC Davis Aggie Alumnus

Default Arnold Schwarzenegger is the new governor of California

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the new governor of California. Any Californians here that voted for this election? I'm interested to see what will happen to California after this.
Old 10/08/2003, 7:18 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

...seriously? That is saaaaaad.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 10/08/2003, 8:03 AM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

LOL, thats just too funny... GO ARNIE! I hope he can do some good, but he will probably do more bad, just like all politicians...

But this isn't a good trend... First Jesse Ventura as Gov. of Minnesota, now Arnie as Gov. of California, soon you'll see Britney Spears running for the Senate and Eminem for president!

Old 10/08/2003, 9:40 AM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Well, Arnold Schwarzenegger has been involved with politics for years and years now so it's not like he's just another limousine liberal who's mind wanders in wonderland...I think he'll be pretty good.

On a side note: is anyone noticing all the women (former co-stars of his movies) going public with alligations of sexual harrassment by Arnold? Stupid hoes deserved it. Notice they wait like 15 years to come out and say this just as Arnold is getting a lot of media attention? How convenient the timing. Just because they can't make it onto the big screen anymore...the only attention they could get.

Old 10/08/2003, 3:16 PM
Right-wing rocker

It's a sad state of affairs when Arnold is elected. I'm still vomiting from the news.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 10/08/2003, 3:22 PM
I'm Content With Losing

I like Arnold though... I can do a somewhat good impression of him.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 10/08/2003, 3:23 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by madislove
I like Arnold though... I can do a somewhat good impression of him.
I have no problem with him as an actor. The "Terminator" series is undeniably great. I just don't think he'll be a good governor.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 10/08/2003, 5:26 PM
Travis aka... God!

We'll just have to wait and see. It is kinda dumb because I know people only elected him because they thought he was cool and wanted to try and make some interesting situation more than because he might make a good governor, but who knows.

I bet the whole world is laughing at us right now.

Old 10/08/2003, 5:30 PM
for the emperor

Default you never know

he might actually be good for california..or he may be just be feeding them a big steaming nutty brown pile of bulls**t

I'm back baby

In all my years I have never seen them do that!
Old 10/08/2003, 7:12 PM
Totally F****able

I personally don't think he's gonna be effective. But then again I don't live there so I could really care less. However I think he'll ride the wave until it's time to really truly think about running one of the biggest and richest states in the country.

As it is he's already got to submit a budget plan to the California legislature. And he's got to fix an 8 Billion dollar budget shortfall without raising taxes and without cutting education which was a big campaign promise for him......Fact: 40% of Cali's budget is spent on education.

I almost guarantee that 99% of the cuts will come from social service programs.
Old 10/09/2003, 3:06 PM
for the emperor

Default i don't live their either

but honestly, this is f**kin hilarious! the "terminter" is governer of califonia. 8 billion with a B?? jesus mary josep

I'm back baby

Old 10/09/2003, 4:06 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

THE GOVERNATOR!

Old 10/09/2003, 4:12 PM
for the emperor

Default lol

"i'll be back to serve anouther term"

next thing ron jeremy will be head of the NRA...

I'm back baby

Old 10/09/2003, 8:40 PM
Totally F****able

Default Re: i don't live their either

Quote:
Originally posted by mista_mo
but honestly, this is f**kin hilarious! the "terminter" is governer of califonia. 8 billion with a B?? jesus mary josep
yeah 8 billion with a B.........He wants to repeal their car tax which supposedly was tripled under Gray Davis........that would add another 4 Billion with a B to the deficit.........

Jesus Mary indeed.........Haven't Californians ever heard of a little thing called "the initiative" people here in my state do them all the time they're very effective in getting some taxes lowered and even repealed altogether, and you only have to be a mere common citizen to do one.
Old 10/10/2003, 1:37 AM
UC Davis Aggie Alumnus

The problem with initiatives is that it has to go through the government process of being passed. It takes time to get things passed, because it's not like they can do it in an instant. Darn those time lags.

Since Arnold claims he won't raise taxes, there are going to be major cuts in programs. There are going to be some angry people either way (cutting programs or raising taxes). I'd personally would raise taxes.

For instance, I'd raise the transportation taxes that Californians see in their gas prices. This would help infrastructure that is in need of major repairs, especially the highways. Also, this would make people think twice of driving and taking more advantage to public transportation. The amount of pollution would go down, and I can breath easier.

That's just an example of something I'd do if I were governor, but I didn't run and I obviously did not win. BTW I was against the recall, because it was already a waste for tax-payers money. Also, it is not only California that is having problems. It is the whole nation. It just a bad time for us economically. We're in the bad part of the business cycle, and we will bounce back up sometime (kinda like during the Great Depression and the periods after it).
Old 10/10/2003, 7:29 PM
Totally F****able

I didnt think that initiatives were that hard to pass. Hell you write one up, you gather the signatures needed, it gets on the ballot the people vote for it and there you go.............the people either vote for it or they dont'..........once the people vote for it to pass its a done deal.......Over........simple as that........its a new rule or law......