Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/31/2007, 2:15 PM
0ld sk00l

Default Cloverfield

Okay, so ever since they released the teaser trailer for this movie and it just said 1-18-08 in the summer time, I have been really excited to see this movie. Now, they released a normal trailer, and the title is officially Cloverfield.

Let me just say that I have never seen so much hype about a movie before it was released than this movie. I mean the producers are geniuses. Release a teaser trailer and have the thousands of people who visit IMDB and various other movie sites, speculate over what the monster will be? Genius marketing strategy. I've seen numerous threads where people think it's a lobster creature, a Cthulu (sp?), a spawn of godzilla, a random huge monster that has many small monsters impregnating women to spur a monster race that will overrun the humans, etc. The possibilities are endless.

I for one, think that this movie is going to be AMAZING. I think it'll be like a cross between the Blair Witch Project and Godzilla, which will be really cool I think. Also, I've read an interview with the director J.J. Abrams, who said that the CGI is definitely not going to look cheesy, and that you see a lot of the monster from different angles and such.

So has anyone else been following this film since everyone thought it was called Slusho? Is anyone else excited as hell to see it? I know on 1-18-08 I'm gonna see it.

My Fanfics

Old 01/02/2008, 3:15 AM
D2F

I'm probably going to see Cloverfield. I think that I'm probably iffy on whether or not I'm sure it's going to be good at this point but it's worth seeing just because it's conceptually different.

The only thing that kind of nags me in the back of my mind though when I think about this movie is that (I think) it's supposed to all be from the perspective of one person filming on a video camera. I predict there are going to have to be several scenes that will be almost too monumental to be recorded on Joe Sixpack's video camera. They have to move the story along and come to a conclusion to try to fight off these monsters, and I'm doubting the cameraman will have anything to do with that so it will be kind of weird to have all the important shit going down in front of one random dude. Think Independence Day shot from somebody's iPhone who just happened to be everywhere, including in that alien spaceship when Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith give the alien a cold or whatever awful plot device they used

Oh, I'm glad you brought up The Blair Witch Project, because that movie set some precedents for this style of filming. I hope the actual monsters aren't shown very often. I think with the whole video camera style shooting, it will be really lame if it turns into some over produced Michael Bay flick. Just remember, how god damn freaky was that home video of that alien in the movie Signs. Less is more

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 01/02/2008, 3:22 AM
0ld sk00l

Holy shit yes. That home video in Signs with the alien walking scared the shit out of me. Just thinking about it right now gives me chills..eeekk.

I actually read an interview with J.J. Abrams and he said that we were going to see A LOT of the monster, but from many different angles...so I'm hoping that it won't be like, in your face, it'll just be like different parts of the monster frame by frame..after all, the monster is much larger than any sky scraper.

But if he does decide to show a lot of it, then I'm thinking they have a kickass budget that can support the amazing CGI that is required to pull off such a feat.
At least by the look of the trailers, the acting doesn't look half bad actually.

My Fanfics
Old 01/03/2008, 5:01 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

omg...creepy alien at the kids party.absolutely one of the scariest/creepiest moments on film,even though its so god damn simple

ANND can i just bring to your attention a small movie called "snakes on a plane",yet another example of a movie over-hyped and pimped to death before its even viewed.failure
Old 01/03/2008, 8:15 PM
Hardcore Fan

I think this film is very bad after watching the trailer on TV on New Years' Day
Old 01/17/2008, 8:46 PM
0ld sk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman2002 View Post
I think this film is very bad after watching the trailer on TV on New Years' Day
Your opinion doesn't matter, sorry.

Anyways, tomorrow it FINALLY COMES OUT! I'm so fucking excited I could just shit right now........okay I just did. I've been waiting since the SUMMER!! I heard it is REALLY good and that the monster is really scary and all that, so I am hoping and PRAYING that it will live up to the hype. I'm sure it will though. GOD DAMN! I can't wait until tomorrow.......!!!!!!!!

My Fanfics
Old 01/17/2008, 11:36 PM
D2F

I'ma see this thing tomorrow as well. I'm supposed to call my boss at some point tomorrow and if it happens that he wants me to call when the movie is playing, he can go get fucked

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Old 01/18/2008, 7:16 AM
I'm back, bitchesss!

I'm going to see this movie today. My friend Cody already sent me a picture of what the monster looks like. ;| Whatevah!

Member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 01/18/2008, 2:16 PM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

Wow nik. I had no idea that this movie has so much hype over it. I saw the trailers and it looks good. I'm probably going to see it tomorrow with my family

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 01/18/2008, 3:20 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

I can't believe it,but this movie came out a whole day before america got it
rarely.happens
i can't decide if i'll see it at the movies or not though.maybe if i'm ultra bored
Old 01/19/2008, 11:12 AM
0ld sk00l

I saw this movie last night, and all I have to say, is that I was blown away. The realism of the film completely thrilled and scared me unlike any other movie I have seen. The monster itself was scary as shit, and the whole perspective of Hud holding the video camera made it all the more real. Also, there were surprisingly good acting performances by everyone in the movie, which really made everything believable. While it is only 80 or 90 minutes long, I think it is the perfect length.
People are saying you didn't see enough of the monster, but there was PLENTY of the monster. I, myself think that J.J. Abrams handled the revealing of the monster in a very good way. Also, did the people expect to see like 50 minutes of the monster or something? It's fuckin filmed by a guy with a camcorder.

Anyways, that's all I am going to say, because I don't want to unintentionally give anything away. But I suggest everyone here should see it, it truly was a thrilling film.

My Fanfics
Old 01/19/2008, 12:23 PM
D2F

I saw it as well. My feeling for the movie is overall positive. I guess how I'd phrase it is that the movie probably couldn't have been too much better given the premise and the whole first person camera thing. I think the obvious positive factors of having the first person camera angle is that it makes the movie much more intense and visceral in a way that traditional camera work can't.

The negative though is that as far as I can tell, any film that is made completely from a 1st person, handheld camera perspective is doomed to be anticlimactic and I think Cloverfield was definitely no exception. I thought the ending was very abrupt and unsatisfying, but then again I don't know how they could have done it differently.

The monster is great however and I will completely agree with Nik that it was revealed properly without being shown TOO much to the point where it becomes a movie all about special effects. I was also just really amazed throughout the movie about the filming logistics. There are tons of scenes where I simply have no idea how they pulled it off so thats cool.

Old 01/19/2008, 1:56 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

The movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I thought it would be LENGENDARY, but it was still really awesome. Just not as good as I wanted to be. I would still pay $5.50 to go see it again because I really liked it. I wanted to see more of the monster, but whatever. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the ending. Lol. No one in the theater clapped or anything because it was just like... That's all? But, overall, great movie.

Old 01/19/2008, 3:54 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

i think i might go see it,just to see what the monster looks like.i'm curious
Old 01/19/2008, 4:09 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

I've got a drawing-type picture of the monster. Or you can just type in "Cloverfield Monster" into google images.

Old 01/19/2008, 6:06 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

no..i mean..i DO wanna see what it looks like,but if i'm gonna watch the movie,i guess i'd rather be all.."OMG I HAD NO IDEA" when watching,rather then cheating and looking at pictures
Old 01/19/2008, 6:09 PM
D2F

Its actually kind of stupid to see some sort of rendering of the full monster. The cool part about Cloverfield that kind of emphasizes the gravity of the situation is that many times when you see the monster, you don't see all of it, which is realistic. Your mind has to kind of try to come up with it's own rendering of what the full thing looks like after seeing several scenes with it. I think that's probably a better angle than just seeing it all, unobstructed.

Old 01/19/2008, 6:17 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

in my mind,i have like a mix of godzilla + tadpole mutant monster from "the host"
Old 01/19/2008, 7:46 PM
I'm back, bitchesss!

I'm very angry that I still havne't been able to figure out where they came up with the title of this movie.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01/19/2008, 7:57 PM
D2F

I believe its supposed to be the government codename for the event. The premise of the movie is that the tape is recovered by the government, so the movie starts out with like official government markings for codename Cloverfield saying do not copy (not a spoiler since its literally the first 20 seconds of the movie).