Go Back   Planet MADtv > Everything Else > Off-topic Discussion > Movies
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/17/2005, 10:36 AM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine King

Hilary Swank was great in Million Dollar Baby but she already has an Oscar (for Boys Don't Cry, where she was also amazing) but once somebody wins one I think the Academy should give it to somebody who hasn't won an Oscar yet (that being Imelda Staunton) or they could've had a tie (do they do that anymore? I know they've done it dozens of times in the past.
I think the Academy should give it to the person who met the criteria to the best degree...

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!

Old 08/17/2005, 10:03 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

SAG is all Hollywood politics anyway...

Today I watched Coffee and Cigarettes, with Steven Wright, Steve Buscemi, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett and a whole slew of more noteable names.
It's a series of vignettes that revolve around well, coffee and cigarettes. Most are funny, some are just weird.
I really liked them, especially the one with Bill Murray taking medical advice from the Wu Tang Clan and Steve Buscemi telling twins his theory about Elvis.

From IMDB.com:
A comic series of short vignettes built on one another to create a cumulative effect, as the characters discuss things as diverse as caffeine popsicles, Paris in the '20s, and the use of nicotine as an insecticide--all the while sitting around sipping coffee and smoking cigarettes. As director Jim Jarmusch delves into the normal pace of our world from an extraordinary angle, he shows just how absorbing the obsessions, joys and addictions of life can be, if truly observed.

-------------------------------
"Tacocat is spelled the same backwards and fowards!"
Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/18/2005, 10:36 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Watched 2 movies so far since 7 in the morning.

Rushmore
Another quirky movie from Wes Anderson. Stars Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray and small parts by all three Wilson brothers (Owen, Luke and Andrew).
It's about a boy that goes to an elite prep school where he makes up for his bad grades with extra curricular activities. He tries to impress a wealthy tycoon and a teacher he has a crush on but only ends up looking like a jackass.
This is a good movie but not my favorite by Anderson. I constantly find myself hoping that the protagonist gets screwed and he does, but it all seems ok in the end. Still worth watching.

Pieces of April
This was a really successful indie from 03 that stars Katie Holmes, Patricia Clarkson and Sean Hayes.
It's about a young woman who has invited her estranged family to her first Thanksgiving dinner.
This movie was... dare i say cute? Well, it was, because it ended in a mushy way. But that's not to say i didn't enjoy it. It's a great story about family. It also doesn't reveal subplots straight out. You're givin the pieces one by one untill you figure it out, and I like that.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/18/2005, 8:20 PM
0ld sk00l

The last movie I watched was Not Another Teen Movie. But since it's already been mentioned alot, I'll talk about the movie I saw before it which is The Skeleton Key. It was about a girl who works at a hospis, and then quits her job there to tend to every need of an old woman's husband. He is paralyzed below the waist becase of a stroke and he cannot think for himself. After being at the house for a short time, Caroline (the main character) discovers very mysterious things in the attic that has been locked for many many years. After having many unexplainable experiences with the old woman's husband, and wanting to know more about the mysterious attic, she unlocks secrets that were never meant to be discovered. I thought this movie had a very gripping plot. The acting could have been better..but other than that it was very entertaining in my opinion. It was one of those movies where you also have to have an open mind, and think too. Alot of the people I went with walked out saying "What the hell happened?" and such. Comon, does everyone need EVERYTHING laid out right in front of them these days? Well I reccommend it anyways.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't go to this movie expecting a horror movie. Go to this movie expecting a supernatural thriller/suspense type of movie.

My Fanfics
Old 08/19/2005, 3:06 AM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

I just got done watching Pirates of Silicon Valley. It's about the competition between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. It was a really good movie, and a lot of the time you're like Wow Steve is a dick. (Steve is from Apple) The movie didn't get too too advanced, or too modern. It only went up to like 1988. It was cool, though, to see how the 2 companies arose and all that.

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 08/19/2005, 7:43 PM
Regular

i watched like half of Ray the other night. I thought it was really good.

My highly distrubing Deviant Art account --> http://wilsonislove.deviantart.com/
Old 08/19/2005, 8:27 PM
D2F

I saw Serpico today. It was very good. I didn't really discover Al Pachino until maybe a year ago when I saw Scarface. I am considering going to blockbuster and renting a bunch of his movies because hes a great actor. In all of his movies he has this kind of strange way about him, hes kind of nutty, its great. I also saw him in The Merchant of Venice a few months ago and was very impressed. I highly reccomend both movies if you haven't seen them already.

An invariant mass requires rest energy without a HITCH, which makes Newton's second law as it appears in a nonrelativistic classical mechanics sitch, BIATCH.

Founding member of Club Juno the most kickass character of The Descent
Old 08/20/2005, 3:58 PM
0ld sk00l

I saw Red Eye yesterday night. Let me just say, it was the BEST movie I've seen in a LONG time. It wasn't a horror movie, it was a thriller. Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy were great, as was the rest of the whole cast. It was funny, suspenseful, thrilling, exciting, and any other good thing you could find in a movie. I can't wait until this comes to DVD. I wanna see it again in theatres next week! Its that damn good!

My Fanfics
Old 08/20/2005, 4:14 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by NemesisDesign
I am considering going to blockbuster and renting a bunch of his movies because hes a great actor.
Some of my favorite Pacino movies are Dog Day Afternoon, Scent of a Woman (Hoohah!), Insomnia and Dick Tracy
If you liked him as Shylock you might like Looking for Richard.

Yesterday I watched Goodfellas before driving to a wedding. It's definetly one of my favorite movies of that genre. I think the combo of Liotta/Pesci/De Niro is great.

Oh yeah, the night before that I watched Shaun of the Dead . I thought it was really gonna suck but I ended up really liking it. It's a typical zombie movie but with more intentional humor.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/20/2005, 4:44 PM
Remember me?

I Saw the 40 year Old Virgin, and it was AWFUL. If you want to see a comedy, go see Wedding Crashers instead.
Old 08/20/2005, 6:48 PM
<3 True Love <3

hmmm the last movie I watched was ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW...yeah I already saw it a while ago but I forgot most of it, so when I saw it again I kept thinking "I don't remember THIS part..." but it's still an excellent movie...I can't wait to dress up like magenta and go to Milwaukee's Oreintal theatre...It seems like something that's pretty big because there was an article about it in Premiere magazine: June 2005.....but still an excellent movie, but definitly NOT for children because of the elbow sex...but otherwise tis fabulous(why am I pushing a movie most of you probably have seen....because I can! )

*disclaimer: this post is not intendid to offend male homosexuals due to it's flamboyancy...any discrepencies from this post need be discussed in a pm to the poster thank you!

Old 08/20/2005, 6:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by madOC112789
I Saw the 40 year Old Virgin, and it was AWFUL. If you want to see a comedy, go see Wedding Crashers instead.
Was it really that awful? I havent seen it yet so i want to know if it is worth seeing. I know Mo's in it and i love Steve Carell and i wanted to see this flick cause they were in it. But if its really awful then i'll just wait till it comes on OnDemand and save about 6 bucks.

My highly distrubing Deviant Art account --> http://wilsonislove.deviantart.com/
Old 08/20/2005, 7:16 PM
Remember me?

Quote:
Originally posted by i_love_frank

Was it really that awful? I havent seen it yet so i want to know if it is worth seeing. I know Mo's in it and i love Steve Carell and i wanted to see this flick cause they were in it. But if its really awful then i'll just wait till it comes on OnDemand and save about 6 bucks.
Well I'm pretty tolerant of dirty humor but this crossed the line in my opinion, i mean at least if it's funny i can stand it, but this movie wasn't. I was extremely disappointed since I love Steve Carell also, he was great in Anchorman, but this was just...excessive, I was like "" throughout the whole thing. I'd wait and save the 6 bucks, then again you may love it. It's a guy's movie, definitely haha.
Old 08/20/2005, 7:27 PM
Regular

ok, thnx for the heads up!

Old 08/21/2005, 11:36 PM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Every weekend on IFC this month is an 80's Teen Slasher. Last night I watched Slumber Party Massacre or some similar title.
It follows the textbook slasher equation: Slutty girls + No parents = Death by power tools.
It was hilarious though. Spotting the "stereotypes" was fun. There were a few odd moments and there was one case of banana innuendo. Watch it!

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/21/2005, 11:58 PM
I <3 Jan In A Pan

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets
Every weekend on IFC this month is an 80's Teen Slasher. Last night I watched Slumber Party Massacre or some similar title.
It follows the textbook slasher equation: Slutty girls + No parents = Death by power tools.
It was hilarious though. Spotting the "stereotypes" was fun. There were a few odd moments and there was one case of banana innuendo. Watch it!
=D whens it rerunning?

i'm just watched Kids. i'm not sure what to think about it yet.

it has stayed in my mind (like the dvd said it would ) but i felt it was kinda creepy (showing 10 year olds shirtless smoking pot) though it is realistic (because somewhere there are kids like that.) i liked chloe sevingy as poor Jenny. ditto for rosario dawson as her friend ruby.

the guy telly was an f'in creep.
Old 08/22/2005, 12:05 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I started watching The Devil's Advocate the other day but I couldn't sit through it...Keanu Reeves really got on my nerves. I think he's quite a bad actor.
Old 08/22/2005, 12:20 AM
Resident Movie Snob <3

Quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine King
=D whens it rerunning?
IFC - August 27th at 2:30am EST

[EDIT
IFC is having a marathon on Saturday the 27th of August starting at 8pm EST of the following movies:

- Friday the 13th
- Humanoids from the Deep
- My Bloody Valentine
- April Fool's Day
- Slumber Party Massacre
- The Boogens
(see IFC's 80's Slashback Page for details)

Thats all they have for August, when I get September's schedule I'll let you know if you didn't catch that one.

Shawn 2/6/87 - 12/5/04

Old 08/22/2005, 4:03 AM
Hawt bytch
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by PitaPockets

[EDIT
IFC is having a marathon on Saturday the 27th of August starting at 8pm EST of the following movies:

- Friday the 13th
- Humanoids from the Deep
- My Bloody Valentine
- April Fool's Day
- Slumber Party Massacre
- The Boogens
(see IFC's 80's Slashback Page for details)

Thats all they have for August, when I get September's schedule I'll let you know if you didn't catch that one.
I'll make sure to catch that.

Aaaanyways, I just got done watching Red Eye. It was a verry awesome thriller suspence movie. I loved it. Rachel and Cillian were awesome in it. I liked how it wasn't cliche, and you aren't expecting what's going to happen. The only part that dissappointed me was the ending. The ending was very cliche, so I was like 'I knew that was going to happen '. If you don't know what the cliche ending to a thriller movie is, it's a happy ending. So everything turned out fine.

Selena Luna = Best. Castmember. Ever.
Old 08/23/2005, 9:35 PM
w00t!

The last movie I saw was 'The Great Raid'. It really is a good movie. I think a lot of critics don't like it because it's very patriotic, and the media is very liberal. It sucks that such a good movie got pushed back for 2 years, and finally comes out in the dead of August with hardly any advertisement while crappy movies like Deuce Bigalo come out in over 3,000 theaters. But don't get me started. I think people should see it, it really is a good movie, political beliefs aside. It's one of the best movies I've seen this year.

***Winner of Worst Username in the '05 Planet MADtv Awards***