Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > Front Page News
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/06/2005, 4:59 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Post MADtv to release "Best of" DVD

Thanks to Scorpiogrrl4405 for the heads up on this one.

According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, MADtv will release a "Best of Seasons 8, 9, and 10" DVD on October 25, 2005. Here is the list of sketches that have been selected:
Reality Show Cameras
Stuart: Meet the Parents
Oprah: Jackass
George W. Bush: Fitness
Lords of the Bling 2
Madvertising: Hey Joe
Honeymooners
Mofaz: Marital Breakdown
CSI
Dr. Kylie: Butt Seriously
Oprah: Fat Camera
Stuart: Therapist
Madvertising: Ups
Real Mofo: Black History Month
The O.C. Meets American Idol
Coach Hines: The Assembly
Dot: Spelling Bee
Marvin Tikvah: Clubbing
Madvertising: M&M's
Letters To Lincoln
Jovan Musketelle: Eyewitness 2004
Lillian Verner: Game Show
Man Up: Regional Championships
Lorraine: Happy Trails
Stuart: Next Door
Ms. Swan: Valentine's Day
Bae Sung: Auto Craze
Sean Gidcomb: Supply Closet
Gotta Getta Gotti
Madvertising: Fantana Fun
Tank: Rocketeer
Patrol Car
Angela: Chasing Dubya
Average Asian: Party Asian
Lost
Boca Condo Report: Hurricane
My Predicament
Abercrombie: Black & White
In addition to the three hours of sketches, bonus features will also be included, such as a gag reel with Stuart, and commentary from cast member Michael McDonald. The DVD set will sell for $14.97.

Old 07/06/2005, 5:14 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995.

Default RE: MADtv: Best of. . .

Yeah I read that, I also wrote to the website owner of TVShowsOnDVD.com & asked him if any more MADtv Season Sets would be released, & he replied that he doubted it because of weak sales!!! So if you're reading this & if you don't have a copy of MADtv: The Complete First Season. . .GET IT NOW!!! If enough people buy (legal) copies then I'm sure due to strong sales more Season Sets will be made!!! I got my copy the first day so I'm set. . .How about you???????

Tchaa, Ya Know What. . .I Have A Cat Named CeCe
Old 07/06/2005, 5:59 PM
O YEAH?! o no.

^^^^ man, that sux, i was gonna buy all the seasons!

Old 07/06/2005, 6:15 PM
MADtv Fan Since 1995.

Default RE: MADtv: Best of. . .

DITTO!!! That really pissed me off!!!

Tchaa, Ya Know What. . .I Have A Cat Named CeCe
Old 07/06/2005, 7:18 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

even *I* have the season 1 boxset and i live in australia,so you guys have no excuses
Old 07/06/2005, 7:33 PM
Totally F****able

I preordered the Season 1 DVD and got it the day it was released......I was really looking foward to the rest of the seasons being released...........

*mutters*goddamnbandwagon"fans"thatonlylikethelaterseasons

Old 07/06/2005, 7:37 PM
His senses were dimmed

Damn that sucks. They didn't even pick the really good sketches.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 07/06/2005, 7:46 PM
Lurking around the corner
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: MADtv to release "Best of" DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by elscorcho
and commentary from cast member Michael McDonald.

yeah, I kinda wanted all the seasons to come out to...'tis a bummer we can get them all.

Old 07/06/2005, 8:09 PM
Hardcore Fan

How lame.
Old 07/06/2005, 8:30 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

That is really, really crappy. Alot of those sketches suck too.

Now I'll never own, or even see, the earlier seasons.

Old 07/06/2005, 8:41 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartanian
Alot of those sketches suck too.
No kidding...there's not even enough good sketches to make me want to buy it.
Old 07/06/2005, 9:24 PM
Hardcore Fan

Best of? That is total Bull****!!!! Some of those sketches suck, no Whitney Houston, no Anna Nicole, no Mrs.Campbell! Instead they've got Bae Sung and F***'ing Tank! UGH!

AND no more seasons released?!?!?! If you didn't buy that set and you're a member on this forum, I think you're in the wrong place.

Sorry, I had to vent...
Old 07/06/2005, 9:43 PM
Ready for a change
Active Supporter

maybe they'll go back to season releases after this one...
*wishful thinking*
Old 07/06/2005, 11:43 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

I told you guys that they weren't releasing any more complete seasons due to weak sales after talking to Debra Wilson about it when she visited here, but some of you still didn't believe me. I'm not at all surpised by this.

God, if they were gonna do a "best of" - did it have to be only including the past 3 seasons? That's really dumb, if you ask me. I'd rather it be like "MADtv's best music parodies" or something like that and include stuff from all of the seasons instead of a collection of random recent sketches thrown together onto a DVD in no set order. This REALLY sucks. I bet you anything that the sales of this are even worse than the Complete Season 1 DVD set. People can watch random sketches any day of the week for free on Comedy Central and there isn't much of a draw for the hardcore fans here, so I think they're losing out even more. I have a feeling that this is the last we'll see of MADtv DVDs, at least for a while.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 07/07/2005, 12:03 AM
Totally F****able

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat_Named_CeCe
I told you guys that they weren't releasing any more complete seasons due to weak sales after talking to Debra Wilson about it when she visited here, but some of you still didn't believe me. I'm not at all surpised by this.

We are sorry Matt.........We forum members will believe everything you say from now on

Old 07/07/2005, 12:44 AM
Hardcore Fan

In short how do I feel about this sad news, I feel beyond "MAD", I feel very very angry about this especially since there is a promo for a Season 2 DVD on the Season 1 DVD.

I think we shoould have a poll on this touchy subject and I think we should have a serious write-in campaign to Warner Brothers, QDE Productions and to the actors, producers of the series to tell them we're not buying this best of DVD and boycott watching all the episodes from Season 8 through 10 on Comedy Central and tell them we want a complete season 2 DVD as soon as possible or in short.

RIGHT NOW!!!!

If anyone here planning to buy this DVD later this year, Forget it.

Buy either a Simpsons DVD, or a Season DVD of In Living Colour or a DVD of SCTV which is a lot better than MADtv from 9/11 on.

Shame on you, Warner Home Video
Shame On YOu, Quincy Jones and David Salzman
Shame On You, to all the people who decided to do a best of rather than released a Season 2 DVD as planned.

See you on the unemployment line when FOX cancel MADtv next season because there won't be a season 12 as scheluded.
Old 07/07/2005, 1:29 AM
His senses were dimmed

Maybe we can sue them for false advertising of season2 and the payment can be a full collection of every sketch.

Voted The Nicest forum Member In The Third Annual PlanetMadTV Awards
Old 07/07/2005, 2:10 AM
O YEAH?! o no.

is this the beginning of, dare i say it, the downfall? i mean, MAD just fired two of the best castmembers theyve ever had, the season 1 dvds didnt sell, and obviously no one is happy over the newest dvd ESPECIALLY because we were promised a season 2 dvd,,,things better be looking up soon

Old 07/07/2005, 2:55 AM
"You, sir, are sissified"
Staff Alumnus

Wow, where to begin? Normally, I'm a pretty easygoing guy, but I just gots ta say that this news bites more than Mike Tyson at an ear-sampling party. Oy, is there no end to the power of the almight corporate dollar? Now, I don't know beans about economics, but it's amazing to me that little mom-and-pop businesses, with their limited means and inventory, can stay in business seemingly forever, yet multimedia conglomerates like Warner Brothers and QDE Production cry "wolf" and "corporate bailout" every time they don't sell a trillion copies of their products.

Or was that the plan all along? As much as I cherish my Season 1 DVD collection, I had my reservations about its being the initial "MADtv" DVD release. "Just watch," I thought to myself. "If this doesn't sell well, then they'll pull the plug on the whole series." Surely enough, here we are with a...AHEM!..."best of" from the past three seasons of "MADtv." Gee, I don't suppose it ever occurred to any of these Einsteins to make, say, a complete Season 8 or 9 "MADtv" release the guinea pig used to test the market rather than the classic, though considerably less popular, Season 1? It's as if they've killed the whole project before it ever had a chance to get off the proverbial ground.

I realize that this rant isn't quite up to the standard of Mark Mitchell's best stuff--that's a compliment, BTW--but just bear with me, folks.

I don't know how heavily (if at all) the petition to get "MADtv" on DVD weighed into the decision to release the Season 1 set, but is it possible that we could drum up a petition to insist on Seasons 2+ as well? At any rate, I'm with cartman: these corporate leeches need to get the message that we will have nothing to do with their bogus "best-of's." (Did everyone involved with the project simply pull sketch titles out of a hat? Sheesh! ) Years of Miss Swan, Spishak, Vancome Lady, Lorraine, Whitney, etc., that will never see the light of day on DVD? Don't think so, grrlfrand!

Ooh, watch me strut!

Boycotts and write-ins are a great start, but let's not rule out good, old-fashioned rocks and sticks, folks. Sometimes you gotta speak these persons' language....Knowhaddamean? Ahem, not that I'm advocating violence or anything.

"We can dig it!"

Last edited by mizzimad; 07/07/2005 at 4:22 AM.
Old 07/07/2005, 8:35 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Again with the "MADtv should/will be cancelled"??

Cartman2002, I think you should go a step further. Instead of boycotting the later seasons of the show, you should prove how much you believe in this by boycotting all things MADtv. Stop watching the show AND stop posting on this forum. THAT'S how you can prove how angry this decision has made you.

Mizzimad, I wholeheartedly agree with you. While seasons 8, 9 and 10 may not be the "Golden Years" of MADtv, I still think whoever chose the sketches majorly ****ed up somewhere. It's like they chose a few great sketches for each season and then selected the absolute worst ones to balance it out. If they follow the trend of releasing one DVD with three 'episodes' (evidently just an hour and a half "Best Of" for each season) then seasons 2-7 will most likely be released within the year. I doubt they'd wait another whole year just to release a crappy, $14.95 single disc item. They sooner they churn them out, the sooner the MADtv DVD "series" is "complete."