Go Back   Planet MADtv > Sketch Comedy > General Discussion
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/13/2003, 7:36 PM
Can't You Read the Signs?

Default The better sketch-writers.. Stephnie, Michael, or Ike/Josh?

Definitely Steph for me. She's very sharp.. better than just about any of their regular writers (hint hint).

You?

Old 07/13/2003, 7:45 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: The better sketch-writers.. Stephnie, Michael, or Ike/Josh?

Quote:
Originally posted by koolboee cdmo87
Definitely Steph for me. She's very sharp.. better than just about any of their regular writers (hint hint).

You?
How do you know which sketches they write? I never really pay attention to the credits...

Old 07/14/2003, 12:15 PM
Totally F****able

Pay closer attention........If Stephnie writes a sketch, the sketch is listed with her name at the end.......Same with Michael.........However I've never seen a sketch credited to Josh or Ike, or any of the other castmembers, although I'm sure they've written some of their own........
Old 07/14/2003, 1:07 PM
Yes, they're real.
Staff Alumnus

Yeah i guess i never look at the ending credits...

Old 07/14/2003, 2:33 PM

Ike and Josh wrote two sketches.. the nerd and jock in detention one in #803, and the one with the friend marrying the mom.. which was #817 or something like that (I can't remember).

As for the past.. Nicole did writing once in a blue moon, some of the Vancome sketches, if not most or all of them.. but the character almost completely disappeared after season four. Alex wrote Swan's sketches for sure, and I think some others.

I believe that Michael and Stephnie however are the only ones that write as often as they do.
Old 07/14/2003, 7:34 PM
Rufff Rufff!!!

Oh god! No more Ike/Josh originals...PLEASE!!!!! Their sketches (Podiatrist, Detention, Dating Your Mom, Swirly Time) were not very impressing. Maybe they're more SNL type sketches but nonetheless those two are DREADFUL at writing.

To give them credit, at least they try to do something a bit more creative and each sketch did have at least 1 or 2 humourous points but they basically went no where.

In my opinion, Stephnie and Michael write some of the better sketches on the show. I'm going to miss the non-character sketches Michael writes.

Old 07/14/2003, 9:48 PM
0ld sk00l

I DESPISE IKE/JOSH SKETCHES! IKE AND JOSH, PLEASE LEAVE THE WRITING TO MICHAEL AND STEPHNIE, AND THE WRITERS!! PLEASE!! lol i really didn't think any of their sketches were good..the toe one made me cringe

My Fanfics
Old 07/15/2003, 10:44 AM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
As for the past.. Nicole did writing once in a blue moon, some of the Vancome sketches, if not most or all of them.. but the character almost completely disappeared after season four. Alex wrote Swan's sketches for sure, and I think some others.
Alex wrote for MADtv many times as did Nicole (not just as Swan and The Vancome Lady). The reason that Alex wrote all of the Swan sketches and Nicole wrote all of the Vancome sketches was because they created the characters before they joined the cast, therefore they had some say in how the characters were developed. It is MADtv's policy not to hire any cast members as writers, but any cast member is allowed to submit ideas and the producers can decide to purchase sketches from them, paying them sketch by sketch. It's too bad, because many of them seem to be better than the regular writers.

As for season 9, I think it would be a great idea for them to hire Stephnie as a regular writer. All of the sketch ideas that she contributed to season 8 were excellent and I think that the show would benifit a lot from hiring her. Michael is most likely leaving, so that kind of prevents him from doing any more writing for the show and the few sketches that Ike and Josh wrote were the worst of the season, IMO. So, I'd say that if they were going to hire any current cast member on as a writer they should go with Stephnie Weir.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 07/15/2003, 5:00 PM

I've said it before - hiring Stephnie as the head writer would help not only the quality, but the success of the show. Not just because the sketches would be better. But remember how big of a buzz it was when they hired Tina Fey? Because she was a woman. Another one, let alone "SNL"'s nemesis, would cause at least a little media spark. Stephnie's already gotten considerable media attention, and they always say "forget 'SNL'" and "Tina Fey who" or something to that effect. If they were pitted against each other in a critics thing or whatever, Stephnie would triumph.. more and more people agree with me that Tina Fey is a very one-dimensional actress, and the writing on "SNL" sucks (*surprise* she's head writer).

What else did Nicole write?

btw Matt, if this Debra leaving thing did end up true.. would Stephnie be your favorite cast member? Or have your tastes changed over the summer? I've been absent for the majority of the last two months or so, so I don't know. Just curious, cuz you seemed to mention many times that Deb and Steph were the two good things about season eight.
Old 07/16/2003, 2:35 PM
Staff Alumnus
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
btw Matt, if this Debra leaving thing did end up true.. would Stephnie be your favorite cast member? Or have your tastes changed over the summer? I've been absent for the majority of the last two months or so, so I don't know. Just curious, cuz you seemed to mention many times that Deb and Steph were the two good things about season eight.
Yes, Stephnie is by FAR my favorite cast member with Debra out of the picture. She's the most versitile and talented person left on the show IMO and I think that for the first time, the success of the season rests on just a few people because quite frankly many of the newer cast members just can't carry sketches on their own. But, yes, she is my definite favorite now that Debra is gone.

"If you want to be a better actor - a better lawyer, doctor, teacher - anything - be a better human being." ~ Debra Wilson
Old 07/16/2003, 9:25 PM
0ld sk00l

Wait, so Debra is officially gone?? Is that something everyone agreed on??
Even if she is gone, I'm still going to hope she returns... ::cries::

My Fanfics
Old 07/16/2003, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNiKsTa48
Wait, so Debra is officially gone??
No, it's not official. There is, obviously, lots of speculation, but it is still "rumor" level. A lot of people are going by imdb.com, but that is run by FANS.. plus, they don't list McDonald as gone, do they?

Even if Debra did "announce" it, which Frank Caliendo said he was not aware of if she did.. Nicole Sullivan said several times in season five that she wasn't coming back, and she ended up staying another season.
Old 07/16/2003, 11:33 PM
Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Oh god! No more Ike/Josh originals...PLEASE!!!!! Their sketches (Podiatrist, Detention, Dating Your Mom, Swirly Time) were not very impressing. Maybe they're more SNL type sketches but nonetheless those two are DREADFUL at writing.

To give them credit, at least they try to do something a bit more creative and each sketch did have at least 1 or 2 humourous points but they basically went no where.

In my opinion, Stephnie and Michael write some of the better sketches on the show. I'm going to miss the non-character sketches Michael writes.
Just what exactly makes a sketch on MADtv seem too "SNL type"? I'm just being curious.

Sorry if I haven't been posting around here lately. I've been busy all week.

Old 07/17/2003, 5:54 PM
It SaYz NiPpLe HoUnD!

Is it official that Michael won't be coming back for Season 9? I really hope not. :depressed:

Old 07/17/2003, 6:50 PM
I'm Content With Losing

Hiring Stephnie as the head writer would rule. It'd make MadTV so popular.

Its all I need to hear your voice everyday.

I wish never to wake up from this dream I’m in right now.
Here I am watching clouds from your bedroom window
As we’re laying here.

And I wake up today
Still smiling in the air.
Wish dreams could be so great.
-early november
Old 07/17/2003, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMcDonaldGrl
Is it official that Michael won't be coming back for Season 9?
No.
Old 07/24/2003, 3:59 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Originally posted by madislove
Hiring Stephnie as the head writer would rule. It'd make MadTV so popular.
Lets not forget that when Tina Fey was hired she almost completely disappeared from the sketches, except for WeekendUpdate. I'd be happy if Stephnie was hired, but even happier if she still had appeared in alot of sketches.
Old 07/24/2003, 9:45 PM

huh? She's in seemingly every sketch. Her and Jimmy Fallon. Whenever I see "SNL" I have to be subjected to her one-dimensional drone that's her acting.
Old 07/25/2003, 12:51 AM
Regular

Are you kidding? She is rarely in anything other than Weekend Update.

Old 07/26/2003, 11:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by R&S Fan
Are you kidding? She is rarely in anything other than Weekend Update.
From what I've seen from SNL, Tina Fey seems to be getting an increasing amount of screen time. I guess it's because SNL fans (as well as the media) can't seem to get enough of her. She's so overrated it's almost mind-boggling. Lord knows what people see in her.