Thread: [MADtv] Aries Spears
View Single Post
Old 08/21/2006, 12:11 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
DOWNHILL RUN:

Comedian Aries Spears left "Mad TV" last year after eight years on the sketch show, and now he says the long-running show has become, well, not good. "It's gotten horrible. It's not just me saying that. I've got people coming up to me consistently saying that they think the show is unwatchable," he insists. "It's bound to happen because you have cast and writer changes so chemistry changes. Also, censorship got tightened, especially after that whole Janet Jackson thing, so things change." When asked why he left the show, Spears responds, "It was bound to happen from my end because I felt like I had run my course there. I had stopped having fun and it became just about the work. And I think they felt that I was done. I didn't like the way that they went about showing me the thanks for what I had given to the show."

Now Spears is looking forward to his next TV venture, "The Underground," premiering Sept. 14 on Showtime. The half-hour comedy sketch show is being spearheaded by Damon Wayans. "I just liken the change to Shaquille O'Neal leaving the Lakers and going to Miami. It's unfortunate that it had to be that way. I know there are a lot of fans of 'Mad' that hated to see me go, but now I feel like I have a chance to win the title with 'The Underground.'"
If MADtv sucks now, it sucked moreso when Aries' unfunny ass was stinking up the show.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27267829.shtml