View Single Post
Old 11/01/2005, 3:31 PM
I'm watching you.
Staff Alumnus

Spears takes pride in straight stand-up
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
By Rachael Recker
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND RAPIDS -- Comedian Aries Spears said he believes his former television persona speaks for itself.

The 30-year-old Chicago native, provided a national spotlight eight years ago when he was a "MadTV" cast member, headed out on his own in 2004.

"It was great, but, you know, it's just time to move on," Spears said from a New York tour stop.

And moving on means moving back to his comedic origins: the comedy-club circuit.

"(I'm) just working on my stand-up right now," said Spears. He said local audiences this weekend can expect to see what he's already given them on the tube.

"I mean, I just always say people (who) are familiar with me from 'MadTV' generally will get what they've been seeing on the show."

For those who aren't familiar with the multi-genre comedian from that show or his appearances on HBO's "Def Comedy Jam" and Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show Period" -- or his film credits such as "Jerry Maguire," "Why Do Fools Fall In Love," "Josie and the Pussycats" and "Jiminy Glick in Lalawood" -- it's worthwhile to note Spears enjoys exploring comedy "that people can relate to" via everyday experiences, drawn from his personal life.

He also taps "stuff in the news, politics."

Spears -- whose first name coincidentally aligns with his zodiac sign -- began comedy at age 14. He said he "always had a good time being funny, liking the attention."

Ultimately pursuing a career that has resulted in two CDs, Spears said the most enjoyable aspect of stand-up is his relationship with the audience.

"When you're good at doing it, it's just a connection you make with the audience. It's pretty cool."

That connection directly relates to the bond-building qualities of humor; the comedian said he does not have "a particular style" or concerted stage presence but knows how to hit a funny bone or two.

"I think, at the end of the day, comedy is comedy (and) stand-up is stand-up to me."

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/g...040.xml&coll=6